Trapped

I would

AUTHOR's POV

"What the heck Liu Yiyun! Stop grinning! Hey! You're planning something, aren't you?" Henry snorted.

But Amber still didn't say anything, a big grin was still flashed on her face

Henry and Amber were bestfriends ever since middle school. They were inseperable. Sometimes they even share the same wardrobe. Amber was not a typical teenage girl. She was the "boyish type". She said to him that she's really not into dresses coz it made her uncomfortable. Not just dresses but also other girly stuffs.

They have this light type of friendly relationship. He would tell everything to her and vice versa.
They never got into a serious fight. Just petty ones where they would tease each other over again.

Henry learned to love music 'cause of Amber. She introduced him to the amazing world of music. They have their own little musical world whenever they're in school. People would think that they're retards coz they would laugh at something that's not even funny. They would listen to a song several times just to memorize it. Music bound them. They even write songs just for fun.

 "Hey Amber, seriously, why are you here?" He was still massaging his harassed nose.

"I'm here for vacation Mr. Lau, but since you're into something, I'll stay longer." She was still lying on her back staring at the ceiling.

Henry grabbed her hand and held it.
"Thank you Amby." He whispered.

"I told you I'm always here for you, Heny." She murmured.
"And how dare you not tell this to me? If Hae didn't told me the whole story, I guess you wouldn't even mind telling me." She punched his arm hard.

"Yah!! That hurts! Stop hitting me okay? Or I'll sue you for harassment resulting to physical injuries." He joked.

"Really now Mr. Frustrated Lawyer?" She laughed.

"Yeah, really! And wait! Hae hyung told you everything?" He shook his head in disbelief.

"Are you still not used to him? Everyone would know someone's story even though they weren't asking for it." She chuckled.

"He's impossible." He sat up at faced her. "So where are you staying?" He asked.

"Here! I need to look after you. Everyone's telling me you've been crazy as hell over that ." She sat up facing him too. "So tell me what really happened?"

"First of all, stop calling her , it hurts me. Second, I thought, Hae already told you everything."

She flicked his forehead again. "Hey, stop defending her. Calling her that way is appropriate. And i wanna hear it from you, God knows he forgot to tell something, or you refused telling the REAL story to him."

He laughed, "You knew me well Amby"

"I know Heny, I know you more than your mom does~" She added. "So tell me everything in detail. What happened to you and that ?" She jumped out of the bed then pulled the chair and sat on it resting her arms on the backboard.

"I told you to stop calling her " He complained. "I thought you liked her for me?"

"I didn't have the chance to know her personally, but I used to like her for you coz I saw how happy you were when you're together. I never seen you like that before you met her. She made you happy, that's what's important for me. But things changed. Now that she hurt you, i loathe her. I don't like her anymore. I hate her for hurting my bestfriend." She conceded.

"Yeeeeiiii~ i never thought you cared for me that much Josephine." He mocked.

She pinched his nose. "Dont be too flattered Henry." She chuckled. "That's why I'm here to help you! We'll go girl hunting." She winked. "But before that, report!" She ordered, pointing at the picture on his bedside table.

"Alright, I'll tell you everything from the very beginning up to what happened yesterday, happy?" he pouted.

She messed his already messy hair.
"But before that, take a bath!! You stink bastard!" She smelled her hand and acted like she was disgusted. "Yuck! You smell awful!"

"Arasseo~" Henry removed his shirt and threw it to her face.

"LIU XIAN HUA! YOU CRAZY ERTED !!" She yelled as he run to his bathroom.

When he was inside, she picked up the frame and stared at it.

"You made a big mistake Rina, you broke your promise." She shook her head then sighed.

After he took a bath, Henry was surprised to see his bed neatly done. His lips pulled into a contented smile.

"Lucky to have a friend like her." He said as he sat on the well made bed.

"Sweetie, food is ready." His mom yelled from downstairs.

~

"What are we doing here Amber?" Henry asked confused.

"I told you I'll help you get back to yourself, right? Step one. Cut all possible communications." She smirked. "We're buying  you a new phone."

He laughed once. "You're really serious with this, huh?"

"Yep~ and we'll call it 'Project Moving On and Letting Go'", she announced proudly.

He shook his head in disbelief. "That's ridiculous Amby. I dont even know if I can do that. I'm not yet ready, i dunno if i'll ever be ready."

She frowned at his answer. "You're nuts! You haven't tried yet so dont talk as if it's final. Give it a shot."

"Why are you doing this?" His curiousity struck her.

"Coz you're my bestfriend~ i hate seeing you sad. It's soooo not you~" She admitted.

He looked convinced.
"Alright, enough with the drama. Let's go". He smiled then messed her hair.

"Aish! Do you always have to do that?" She pouted.

"Yah! Stop acting cute~ you're giving me goosebumps." He bantered.

"Whatever Liu Xian Hua." She rolled her eyes as she entered into a shop and left him behind.

Henry followed laughing.

~

After they bought his new phone, they decided to drop by a fast food restaurant where they had their snacks.

They were talking bout the events in mochi's life when his old phone rang.

He picked up his phone. "Yoboseyo?"

"Mochi!! Neo eodiya?" The voice from the other line asked. His voice a bit panicky.

He checked the name from the screen and found out that it's Lee Donghae.

"At the mall, why? Is there a problem hyung?"

"Sungmin hyung cant perform tonight, can you take his place? He's supposed to do a solo act." Hae's voice a bit desperate.
"Jebal mochi~ jebal~"

"Arasseoyo hyung, I'll come. Oh btw, can I bring Amber with me?" He grinned.

"Ne~ ne~ ne~ do anything you want. Just come here before 6pm. Okay?"

"Will do hyung~ see yah~"

"Thanks mochi~ you saved me." He said relieved then hung up.

"Donghae-ssi?" Amber asked.

He nodded and grinned.

"What did he say?" She mumbled with full with pizza.

"He asked me if you can do an act later at Taco Locco, and i said yes." still smiling broadly.

Her eyes widened. "Mworago??? Naya??"

He laughed. "Ne, i know you can pull off an act~ you're great!"

"How dare you Henry Lau!!" She said agitated. "Aish!"

"You can do it~ just imagine there's no other person watching. We used to jam together, and I heard how fine your voice was." He convinced.

She sighed feeling defeated.

~~~

RINA's POV

The box he gave me 2 days ago was still there at my nightstand. It still holds everything, the jar and the letters.

"Oh, the letter." I sat up and opened the box remembering the other day.

~~~

I was staring at my phone waiting for a familiar name to appear.

"He used to text me everyday. What happened now? Did he forgot? It's kinda pissing me off, but why am i missing it now?" I whispered to myself confused.

Why am i missing him all of a sudden? Am I crazy? Am I excited coz we'll see each other again after several months of me ignoring him? I thought I wanted this? This decision will make me happy. I'll end up everything with him.

My thoughts were cut off when the door bell rung that made me jump from my bed. "Who could that be?"

I checked the door cam and saw an unfamiliar guy standing in front of my door.

"What can I do for you mister?" I said thru intercom.

"Good Day Miss, I was asked to give this to you." He said as he showed a box. His voice squeaky.

I opened the door, received the package and signed something on his tablet.

"Thank you Miss." The guy beamed with his eyes smiling.

"You're welcome..." I checked on his name plate. "You're welcome Jaebum-ah..." then I went back inside hugging the box.

I sat on a stool at my kitchen island and placed it on the counter top. Without even opening it, i already knew where it came from and who gave it. I traced my finger on the familiar violin drawing sitting on its lid.

"What's this again Henry? Something you think that will make me stay?" I frowned. "I'm sure i wanna be free Henry."

I lifted the cover and saw a big jar. I stared at it and felt something touched my heart. It was full of hand-made paper star origami. The one that I caught him doing secretly.

I was speechless. It was beautiful. I suddenly felt guilty. "I wanted freedom right?"

I looked again inside the box and saw a small card with his trademark violin drawing on it.

I opened it and read what's inside.

"'I love stars. Can you get one for me?' This was your exact words when we went stargazing at my rooftop on our anniversary. And i promised I will get not just one. So here it is, your stars. Forgive me coz it took me a while to pluck a million of them from the sky. Kkk~ Do you like it?"

My tears were building up. Why does he have to do this? It was supposed to be a joke. I stared at it and lifted the lid. "Your stars... My hopes..." was written meticulously in script underneath the cover. My eyes stung from unshed tears.

Two different envelopes sealed with his hand-made paper violin sticker were sitting at the bottom of the box, it was labelled. "Start" and "End" were witten on it. I took the 'Start' and read it.

09-14-15

"Rina-yah, 
   annyeong? How have you been? Its been a while since you decided to leave me, I'm a bit worried about you, on what's going on with you, I hope you're doing well. I hope you're happy.
   Actually I'm so glad that you're back here in Seoul and you agreed to meet up with me. I missed you so much Rina~ you dont know how much I missed you. Words cant even express it.
   Rina-yah, i bet you already saw the other envelope and i wish you didn't read i first. I want you to read that after we meet.
   But in case you changed your  decision, and you still want me. I want you to burn that letter.
   I'm really hoping you'll burn it.
   Wishing you well Rina, see you soon. x

Mochi~"

~

I sighed and stared at the unopened letter. What will i do with this? What do i really want?

~~~

HENRY's POV

"Mochi-yah! Amber!!" Donghae hyung ran to us the moment he saw us entered the cafe then gave Amber a bear hug.
"I'm glad you came."

"Yeah, I'm a bit nervous but I can handle it." Amber said to him.

I was stiffling my laughter when Hae hyung gave me a suspicious look. I just give him an innocent shrug.

"You ready?" He asked me.

"Ne~" I beamed at him.

Hae held my arm. "Amber, I just need to talk to this naughty guy, ne? Make yourself comfortable. Just tell Rica anything you need." He smiled at her.

"Rica is here?" She asked amused.

Hyung nodded then dragged me inside the Cafe's pantry.

"What's going on Mr. Lau?" He raised his brow. "Will you explain to me what just happened?"

I laughed at his reaction.
"Hyung, nothing serious ok? So will please calm down?"

"I know, but would you mind telling me why is she nervous?" His stare still confused.

"Ok, ok, I'll explain. I told her that you asked me if she can perform tonight~" I confessed.

"What?! And she bought that?" He started to chuckle.

I just shrugged.

"Seriously? What kind of friend are you??" He laughed.

"I'm the best friend here!" I proudly boasted. He shook his head in disbelief laughing.

"You'll let her do that by herself?"

"Aniyo, we'll do a duet coz she begged me." I grinned remembering what happened at the restaurant several hours ago.

"Aigoo, if she knew you're trippin' on her, you're dead Mochi~" he uttered matter of factly.

"You'll not tell her hyung, will you?" I pouted at him.

He just shrugged, smiling.

"Shoot! Please hyung dont~" and he didn't answered me.


AUTHOR's POV

"When did you arrive unnie?" Rica served her something to eat.

"Yesterday morning." She sipped the frappuccino. "Oh! This one's good."

Rica smiled. "So where will you stay while you're here unnie?"

"Imo's house. I mean Mochi's" she was enjoying her drink.

"What? Dont tell me you stayed there last night." She said amused.

"Yes I did, why Rica?" She tilted her head sideways.

"I stay there too, how come I didn't saw you last night?" 

"Maybe I was out with Donghae-oppa. We went out after he brought Heny, I mean mochi, at home." Rica raised her brow upon hearing weird names.

"Wait! You went out Donghae-ssi?? Are you close with him??" She pouted.

"Yep~ we all grew up together, the three of us. Omo! Wait! Dont tell me you like him?" She grinned.

"Ne unnie, i like him, and I guess I already love him." She blushed.

Amber burst out laughing.
"Oh my goodness. I can't believe this!"

"Why? What's wrong?" Rica frowned.

She was stiffling her laugh. "Nn-nothing. I just wanna wish you the best of all lucks."

"Aish! Unnie! Is there something I need to know?" She pouted.

"No~ i mean nothing!! I was just bluffing Rica~" she convinced her.

She didn't replied but instead, served her a slice of Strawberry Pistacchio cake.

'I don't have to tell you his secret. It's irrelevant, I guess. And besides, it's his past, i don't have any right to tell it to anyone.' Amber thought.

"Hey, you ready?" Henry snapped at her.

"N-ne? Are we the first act?" Amber replied startled. "And will you just let me finish eating this first?"

"Oh-okey~ actually, we're not the first act, we'll just have a stage rehearsal." He said as a matter of factly. "You can get back after we're done. You can even have more of that."

Donghae stood up behind him.
"You'll do 3 songs right?"

"THREE?!" Amber shrieked.

"Ne, he said you'll do 3 songs." Donghae grinned.

"Liu Xian Hua, what's this? You said it's just one song?" She glared at him.

Henry raised his both hands up. "We will do one song and i'll do the other 2 solos. Fine with that?"

"Whatever Henry~" she rolled her eyes.

"Now it's just 'Henry', huh? Oh come on Amby, dont be pissed." Henry flashed his cutest smile at  her. "Let's go." He grabbed her hand then went up the stage. "We'll just practice our duet, ne? I don't have to practice my solos coz I already knew it by heart." He mumbled 

~

AMBER's POV

Lights are all off when Henry went up the stage. The cafe-turned-into-bar is packed with audiences, mostly girls who are in teen years swooning over the first performances.

I am sitting on the front row mesmerized by how different Henry looked on stage. When did he became so professional? It'll be my first time to witness him do such kind of performance.

The spot lights went on. Everyone is focused on the guy sitted behind the white grand piano.

He's like in his game zone, playing a powerful piano intro as if he's in a his own recital, then he suddenly stopped and the lights dimmed, perfectly in synch with the subtle notes that he started to play.

"That sounds familiar. I heard him play that when we were still in middle school." I said to myself while still watching in awe.

His voice filled the whole room. He's voice is amazing, I feel like floating~ what am I feeling?

"Umjigil su eobseo wae naneun mugeowojyeo gagiman hae?
(I can't move, why am I getting heavier?)

Ne mam guseoge nohyeojin chae nohin chae yeah
(As I'm inside of the corner of your heart, yeah)

Nege dako sipeunde geujeo keomkeomhan i eodum soge
(I want to touch you but I'm in this black darkness)

Jakku garaanja gateun gose geu gose yeah
(I keep settling down in this same place, in that place, yeah)"

He was so into the song. I can feel it his voice and I bet everyone in this room can feel it too. Pain. Desperation.

"Ne aneseo jeomjeom nan ichyeojyeo ga
(I'm getting more and more forgotten inside of you)

Neul meomulleo inneun i sarang ane
(Inside this love that always lingers)

oh nan I'm trapped I'm trapped
(Oh I'm trapped, I'm trapped)

Naneun jichyeoga na honjaseoman kkumeul kkugo innabwa
(I'm getting tired, I guess I'm dreaming alone)

Sege heundeureo nareul kkaewojugenni kkaewojugenni 
(Will you strongly shake me and wake me up, wake me up?)

I'm trapped I'm trapped

Nan nareul irheoga neo eobsin naui ireum jocha gieogi an na
(I'm losing myself, I can't even remember my name without you)

Ijen ne aneseo nareul nohajugenni nohajugenni 
(Now will you let go of me from inside of you, let go of me?)

I'm trapped I'm trapped
I'm trapped oh~ I'm trapped oh~"

The lights fade as the music fades, everyone was still stuck in the atmosphere when a man from the audience applauded the performance we all witnessed then everyone followed.

Henry stood up and thanked the audience. He was staring at me, smiling.

"For our next song, may I call on my best buddy ever since. Amber Liu."

I was still staring up at him when Rica nudged me.

"Yah, unnie, go up, he's calling you"
It took a while before everything registered to me.

"Oh~ n-ne~ thanks" I stuttered.

What's wrong with me?

I went up the stage and he handed me a guitar.

When I tried to look at the audience, blinding lights welcomed me.

"It's okey, you'll get used to it." Henry mumbled as he took his seat behind the piano again.

"For our next song, since the Christmas Spirit is almost here, we'll give you an early Holiday treat. Hope you'll like it" He effortlessly introduced the song.

My hand feels so numb on the cold guitar strings. I was so nervous. And I guess he noticed it.

"Close your eyes and let your hands feel the music." And I did what he said.

On his cue, I heard piano strings jived with guitar strings. When I opened my eyes, i saw my hands moved as if they have their own mind. They're moving. We're playing perfectly in rhyme.

"Someday at Christmas men will be boys, playing with bombs like kids play with toys.
What one December our hearts will see.
A world where men are free."

He sang gazing at me.

I smiled and felt comfortable.
"Someday at Christmas there'll be no wars when we have learned what Christmas is for.
When we have found what life's really worth, there will be peace on earth."

My voice didn't trembled. Great.

"Someday all our dreams will come to be.
Someday the world where men are free.
Maybe night time for you and me,
But someday at Christmas time..."

We both sang till the end of the song.

It was the best feeling I ever had my entire life. He's right, I can overcome my stage fright.

He stood up and gave me a hug.

"Great job, I told you, you can do it, all you have to do is believe me."

He held my hand as we bowed down to our audience. It was an awesome experience.

~

AUTHOR's POV

"I should do something. I need to see him and take back all the things I said. I want him back." Rina was staring at the mirror talking to herself.

After fixing her things, Rina went out to make things clear for her and Henry.

"It's been a while since the last time I came here." And flashback of memories run through her mind.

~~

"One machiatto and vanilla shortcake please." Rina said to Mark, one of the amateur baristas in Taco Locco.

"Okey My Lady, would that be all?" He asked flashing his captivating smile.

She nodded. "Oh wait, is Henry in there?"

"Oh hyung? He's not yet here, but he'll be here in a while." He beamed again. "You know him?"

"Hmm, yeah, he's my guy." She proudly said.

"Oh, you're Rina noona?" He grinned.

"You know me?" She felt a bit shy.

"Ne~ ne~ he's head over heels about you noona. There's no single day that passes without him mentioning your name." She felt her cheeks blush.

"Omo! That guy~"

"Yeah, that guy." He chuckled. "Okey, I'll just get your order noona, ne? You can wait for me in your favorite seat." He winked.

"You even know that?" She said surprised.

"That's a common knowledge here noona", He shrugged then get back to his work.

Rina shook her head then sat on her fave spot by the window.

Seconds, minutes and hours passed but there's still no sign of Henry at the Cafe. Not even a single text or call. Her drink is almost done.

"He promised me he'll be here." She started to play with her stirrer pouting. "Where is he? Now that I needed him so damn much? Aish! Its almost 5pm." She checked on her phone.

When Mark was about to approach her, she stood up and picked her bag.

"Leaving?" Mark asked.

"Ne~ for good. Tell him I dropped by okey? Bye." She said coldly before going straight out.

"What's with her?" Mark raised his shoulder and cleaned the table she left. He noticed a tissue sitting at the table. "Baby... neo eoddiya?" He read the letter written in perfect script.
Mark stared outside.
"They're in love. But she's disappointed."

(end of flashback)

~

Rina went inside the cafe clenching her fist, "Why am I so nervous?"
It's quite dark and piano tune can be heard all over the place.

She kept on listening.

"I know that voice." She lifted her eyes to see who's sitting behind the piano. "Henry..."

She stood still when the lyrics of his song shoot her.

"Nan nareul irheoga neo eobsin naui ireum jocha gieogi an na
(I'm losing myself, I can't even remember my name without you)

Ijen ne aneseo nareul nohajugenni nohajugenni 
(Now will you let go of me from inside of you, let go of me?)

I'm trapped I'm trapped
I'm trapped oh~ I'm trapped oh~"

She saw him sing with full of emotions. Sad. Lonely. In Pain. Desperate.


"I made him feel that. I'm sorry baby..." she whispered as she took the seat on her favorite spot. Her eyes pinned on him. "I'm really sorry."
She sobbed.

 

A/N: I saw this video on yt where Henry and Amber was singing Someday at Christmas, and this scene came to my mind ^^

​​​All lyrics used, credits to original owners.