Whisky and Vodka [2/ -- ] [HP AU]

Xiuchen Short Stories Collection

Whisky and Vodka

ººº

“I must say,” Baekhyun started, as Minseok and him were walking to their classes, “I am impressed. And very grateful. It really means a lot to me,” he smiled at his friend.

“What are you talking about?” the elder raised an eyebrow, cracking a small smile back.

“Jongdae and you. It’s been a week, and you haven’t tried to rip each other’s throats out. It means a lot to me.”

Minseok chuckled, wrapping an arm around his friend, “anything for my buddy, right?” he winked, “I gotta go, I’ll see you in the evening, right?” he asked, as he stood in front of the door to the upper levels of the tower.

“I wouldn’t miss a Hufflepuff party for the world! They always have the best food,” he laughed, and moved on to his class down the corridor after having waved at his friend.

“There you are!” Baekhyun heard a voice by his side, and a second later another arm wrapped around him, “I was looking for you everywhere!”

He rolled his eyes at his boyfriend’s silliness, and gave him a quick peck on the cheek, “Chanyeol, you know exactly where to find me at all times before classes.”

“I missed you, you know,” the taller whispered, as they sat down at their table.

“We saw each other at breakfast,” Baekhyun giggled.

“So? Does it mean I cannot miss my boyfriend?” the younger wiggled his eyebrows, and Baekhyun just chuckled.

“You’re so cheesy.”

“That’s what you make me —“

“Excuse me, gentlemen, am I interrupting you?” the professor asked, and suddenly everyone’s eyes were on them.

“Sorry,” they both mumbled, quickly grabbing their notebooks.

ººº

“Is Jongdae coming tonight?” Baekhyun asked Chanyeol as they were walking to the great hall for lunch.

“He said he would,” the other beamed, “I am slightly concerned, you know. I think he’s starting to realize that he might have taken up too many responsibilities.”

“He’s not the only head boy, Chanyeol, are you sure you’re not overreacting?” Baekhyun asked skeptically.

“Yeah, I know! But it’s just… he’s constantly either in class, studying, practicing magic, being the head boy, running errands for his professors, filling out god knows what kinds of forms and reports… and in all of it, he lacks balance. He does only these things… he hardly ever goes out, takes a break, rests… I am the only person he ever hangs out with, Baekhyun. That’s why I’m worried. Balance.”

“How are the two of you even friends?” Baekhyun asked, surprised at how different the two boys’ characters were.

“One of the great mysteries of this world, I presume,” Chanyeol bust out laughing.

“What’s so funny?” the heard a voice, and from behind them emerged Jongdae.

“You,” replied Chanyeol, shrugging.

“Excuse me?”

“Don’t listen to him,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes, “so, Jongdae, will you be coming to the Hufflepuffs’ party tonight?”

“Are you serious? I wouldn’t miss their food for the world,” he chuckled, and Baekhyun’s eyes shone.

“My man!” he exclaimed, hugging Jongdae tightly.

“Baekhyun, I know you’re dating my best friend, but please, no public affection towards me at all times, okay?”

“Oh, em, of course, sorry…”

Jongdae smiled at both of them and started walking away, “I’ll see you guys tonight!”

“He’s just so weird, Chanyeol…” Baekhyun mumbled, cuddling into his boyfriend.

“He’s… just being Jongdae…” the taller laughed.

ººº

The evening came quickly, and with it the sweet beginning of the weekend and a party thrown by the Hufflepuffs in the room of requirement.

Jongdae was on his way to the seventh floor, when he ran into Minseok. They met on the fourth floor, in an empty corridor. The elder was standing by the window, looking out into the moonless night, dressed in black pants and white shirt. The moment Jongdae neared him, he looked to the side, their eyes met, and the younger stopped dead in his trucks.

Jongdae inhaled loudly, taking in the statue like posture of Minseok, a figure half swallowed by the shadows, half lighted up by the stars.

“Jongdae,” he spoke, “you look like you’ve seen a ghost,” Minseok chuckled lightly, looking the younger up and down, “oh,” he gasped, nearing the younger, “did you wear these jeans to impress me?” he whispered, raising an eyebrow.

The younger narrowed his eyes, biting his lower lip.

You are gonna be a ghost, soon, if you don’t stop talking,” he warned, and continued walking to the stairs.

“Oh, we both know you only talk big,” the elder laughed, following the Ravenclaw “you’re not as tough as you’d like me to think.”

“Well, you’re not as interesting as you’d like people to think, and yet, that doesn’t stop you from talking.”

“Someone’s being sassy.”

“Just unimpressed by your persona, Minseok,” the Ravenclaw sighed. He stopped and turned to look the Gryffindor in the eyes, “let’s get it straight, seeker. Nothing about you impresses me. We’re not friends. We don’t even like each other. You don’t have to try so hard to live up to whatever stupid expectations people have. So just shut up, and we might make it through another social event without ruining it for our friends.”

He then turned around again and kept on climbing the stairs.

None of them said anything until they reached the room, and then separated way.

ººº

But not for long. They were trapped together soon after Baekhyun and Chanyeol found them on two separate ends of the room.

“I wanna make a toast!” Chanyeol exclaimed, raising his class, “to both of you,” he looked at the elder Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, “we really appreciate you trying.”

“It’d be easier if you didn’t make us be in each other’s company,” Jongdae mumbled, looking around the room.

But then he felt an arm wrapping around his shoulder, and once he looked to his left, he realized it was Minseok’s.

“Anything for you guys,” the elder cheered, crushing Jongdae under his touch, “right?” he looked at him pointedly, and the younger just sighed and smiled at his friend and his boyfriend.

“Of course. Anything.”

They sat down on a bunch of bean bags that were lying near them, hoping to relax.

And they did. Mostly Baekhyun and Chanyeol spoke, leaving Minseok and Jongdae space to laugh, nod or make nosies, but not enough to argue. They were drinking, enjoying the time and company (surprisingly, Jongdae thought).

“I swear!” Minseok laughed into his glass after telling them a story from his last Christmas at home.

“No way,” Jongdae laughed, “no way in hell anyone would be this stupid!”

“Are you saying I’m lying?!” Minseok looked at the younger, offended.

“I’m saying there’s no way any living human being would be stupid enough to believe that eating chocolate frogs would turn them into one!”

“But he did! And he ate every single one!”

“And you’re telling me he didn’t end up in hospital?” the younger raised an eyebrow.

“Kim Jongdae!” Minseok whined, “I’m not lying! My cousin’s really that stupid!”

“Oh, just shut up,” Jongdae chuckled, taking a sip from his glass.

“Make me,” the elder dared, and both Baekhyun and Chanyeol raised their eyebrows.

“Oh, wow, the is getting thick,” the Gryffindor joked.

All of them laughed, and drank their drinks.

Jongdae let his eyes drift towards the Gryffindor sitting next to him. He observed how Minseok’s lips parted, how his jawline and veins moved, as the alcohol was streaming down his throat, and how his facial features remained unmoved by the burning sensation. He looked at the elder’s collarbones, sticking from beneath the shirt, his defined arms outlined by the thin fabric, and hands, so tightly wrapped around the bottom of the glass.

Jongdae felt a sharp, stinging pain of guilt in his guts, remembering what he had done.

ººº

The clock was slowly turning, lazily approaching midnight.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were making out, and Jongdae and Minseok were peacefully drinking, avoiding any conversation.

“Shouldn’t we leave them alone?” Jongdae suddenly asked, looking at the ceiling.

“I’d like to think they have enough decency to take into consideration they’re still among people,” Minseok replied, playing with his glass.

“I wouldn’t put too much faith into that,” the younger mumbled, “they have probably already forgotten we're here… after all, we are talking about them, and they just ignore us,” he chuckled.

“Well, they are pretty much occupied —“

“With each other’s mouths. That’s not gonna go down as an excuse.”

“They keep making us do things for them, maybe it’s time we started doing the same,” Minseok suggested, looking at the younger.

“Rule number one, if we don’t argue, they don’t make out in front of us.”

“Sounds to me like the golden rule,” Minseok laughed, and as Jongdae looked up at him, someone approach them.

A woman, probably Jongdae’s age, with long dark hair, dark eyes, and blood red lips.

The Ravenclaw gulped.

“Minseok!” she greeted the Gryffindor, disregarding the other’s presence, “I was looking for you everywhere! I almost thought you decided not to come!”

“Hello, Caroline,” the elder smiled, “yeah, I was kinda made to hang out with my friends,” he laughed, briefly looking at the couple making out.

“Ouch,” the girl flinched, but then froze, when her eyes landed on the boy next to Minseok. “Jongdae?” she whispered, surprised.

Minseok raised an eyebrow, looking between the two—his surprised friend, and frozen Jongdae.

The Ravenclaw dropped his glass to the floor, the liquor spilled, the object shuttered into million pieces. He stood up as fast as his state and the beans bags allowed him, and walked away.

“Jongdae!” the girls yelled after him, trying to catch him, but to no avail.

“What’s going on?” Chanyeol asked, looking around.

“Caroline?” Minseok stood up as well, “what was that about?”

The girl looked at the Gryffindor without saying much.

“I’m sorry,” she only mumbled, before she disappeared in the crowd.

“Where’s Jongdae?” Chanyeol asked another question, looking for his friend, “what happened?”

“I don’t know,” Minseok replied, confused, “I’m… I’m gonna look for him,” he mumbled, walking away from the couple, and into the direction Jongdae stormed off to.

He found him by the door, ready to leave. Minseok quickly jogged toward the boy, and stopped him, by grabbing his elbow.

“Jongdae —“

“Let go, Minseok,” the Ravenclaw spat, trying to free himself from the touch.

“Hey, what’s wrong? How do you know Caroline?”

“None of your business, now let me go! Why did you even follow me?”

“I came looking for you,” Minseok said quietly, “like you did last time.”

Jongdae’s heart stopped, and then ached more than it had before.

“Are you alright?” Minseok asked, observing the younger.

“Please, let me go,” the Ravenclaw whispered, not fighting anymore.

“How about we grab a drink, huh? And I’ll walk you to your room after that,” Minseok suggested, smiling at the other.

“Why? What is in it for you? Why do you care?”

Because we have literally just established to put our feud behind for the sake of our friends? May as well start implementing it right away?” he smiled cheekily, “don’t give me a hard time, work with me, Jongdae!” Minseok laughed, but Jongdae only frowned.

“Shut up, shut up!” the younger exclaimed, “stop quoting me! Just let me go!”

Minseok frowned, looking the younger up and down.

“Well, how about you make me, then?”

“Make you what?” the Ravenclaw exhaled, suddenly exhausted.

“Make me shut up, if you want it to bad.”

“Let me go, Minseok, I don’t wanna be here, I don’t wanna be here with you, with anyone, I wanna be on my own.”

“Grab one drink with me, and you’ll free after that.”

“Why?” the younger whined, annoyed and irritated.

“You need to calm down. You might do something stupid if you leave right now,” the elder said softly and quietly, pulling the Ravenclaw in the direction of the bar, “let’s go. I know you hate me, and vice-versa. But you told me today that I didn’t need to pretend to be anyone, because you didn’t care. Right back at you,” he smiled, and Jongdae followed him to the bar, defeated.

ººº

“How do you know, her, Minseok?” Jongdae asked, staring blankly into his class.

“She’s dating a guy on the quidditch team,” the elder shrugged, “why? how do you know her?”

But Jongdae remained silent, only staring harder into the class, as if trying to burn holes in it.

“History?”

“You could say,” the younger replied.

“Heartbreak?” the elder pried.

“Shut up,” Jongdae mumbled, “stop trying to get answers. Shut up.”

“Make me,” Minseok huffed into his glass, and took a sip.

“I would if I could, believe me.”

They sat in silence after that, for what felt like forever, before Jongdae suddenly drank his glass in one go and stood up.

“Where are you going?” Minseok asked, frowning.

“Away from here,” Jongdae replied shortly and started going away.

Minseok quickly grabbed his glass and followed the younger.

“I don’t need a babysitter!” Jongdae yelled from down the corridor, to which Minseok smiled.

“Keep screaming louder, I don’t think the teachers heard you just right,” he pointed, “and here I thought you were supposed to be the responsible head boy who knows the ruled.”

“Go away, Minseok!” Jongdae whined, walking faster.

“Make me.”

“Shut up,” Jongdae yelled, turning around and almost bumping into the Gryffindor, who was right behind him.

“Make me,” Minseok whispered, provocatively.

“You keep saying that, just shut up!” Jongdae groaned, and then bit his lower lip at the closeness of the older’s body, “what do you want from me?”

“Instead of biting your pretty lips, why don’t you bite mine?” he asked in a whisper, nearing even more, cockiness audible in his voice.

Jongade took a step back.

“Because that’s exactly what you want, isn’t it?” Jongdae asked, challenging the elder.

“And what if it is?”

“But you hate me —“ Jongdae whispered, losing his self control.

“But what if I didn’t for a moment or two?” he tilted his head to the side, running his hand trough Jongdae’s hair.

Minseok took the last sip of the drink he had in his hand, and let the drops stream down his lip and chin. The glass fell to the floor, crushing against the hard concrete.

“Mmmm,” he moaned, “what a shame you didn’t get to try, whisky from 1864,” he smirked.

Jongdae couldn’t take it anymore. He wrapped his hand around Minseok’s neck and pulled him in for a kiss.

The taste of whiskey on his tongue drove his senses mad.

Jongdae kissed Minseok so hungrily, so possessively, as if nothing around them existed. He threw his head back, exposing his neck, letting Minseok do anything that he wanted.

The elder paved his way of kisses and bites from the top of Jongdae’s jawline, down his neck, collarbones, to his chest. He skillfully ed the younger’s shirt, and wrapping his hands against the other’s waist, started exploring his body.

Soft moans were escaping Jongdae’s mouth, his mind and judgement clouded, his hands buried in the Gryffindor’s hair.

He opened his eyes, to look into the dark night outside. He pulled Minseok back up, to his lips, and crushed them back together.

“Why does it feel so good, when it shouldn’t?” he whispered into Gryffindor’s ear, as he nibbled at his earlobe.

“Maybe that’s the whole point?” Minsoeok panted back, biting into Jongdae’s neck, intending to leave marks.

He pushed Jongdae against the wall, and the younger swiftly wrapped his legs around the other’s hips.

“Hmmm,” Minseok hummed, content, as their lips met again, “I don’t think whisky and vodka go together,” he chuckled into the kiss, and so did Jongdae.

“I guess we’ll have to make them work, somehow,” he replied, leaning forward to place small kisses all over Minseok’s shoulders.

ººº

As the night dragged on, the party finally came to an end, disturbed by the angry teacher.

The Gryffindor and the Ravenclaw were insdise one of the classrooms, on the fifth floor. Minseok was lying on the ground, his shirt abandoned somewhere between the tables, and Jongdae sat upon him, their hands linked, and the younger’s lips attached to the elder’s body.

But they got disturbed by the loud banging of feet against the stone.

Jongdae jolted up, looking around.

“Party’s over, we have to go,” he said quickly and quietly, looking for Minseok shirt.

“Calm down, they won’t find us here,” Minseok said, “why would any —“

“Make sure no one’s in the classrooms around here!” they heard one of the teachers yell, and that made Misneok quickly stand up.

“Okay, let’s go, quickly!” he elder nodded, passing Jongdae on his way to the door.

But the younger grabbed him wrist, making him turn around. Before he could ask any questions, Jongdae only whispered a soft “I’m sorry,” and his eyes fell shut.

The Ravenclaw quickly, but carefully, put the string of Minseok’s memories into his silver pendant, and ran out of the classroom before the elder could see him, leaving the Gryffindor alone.


I hope you enjoyed the continuation! I guess this story evolved beyond just a one-shot or two parts... maybe turn it into something more! Who'd like that?