Tsundere (Sua, Dami)

Magnetic

Jiu’s eyes scanned the busy cafe with a purpose, almost like a predator on the hunt. Shockingly, her breakfast was being neglected directly in front of her. Siyeon found the glint in her eyes a bit unnerving.

 

She gasped, tapping her palm on the table several times to get Siyeon’s attention.

 

“Right side, blue shirt.”

 

Siyeon stared at her, bemused. “Why are you like this?”

 

“Just look.” Jiu insisted.

 

Siyeon sighed and glanced casually over her shoulder to see a girl taking a seat on the other side of the cafe. She also wore a white skirt, which seemed unseasonal considering how cold out it still was at this time of the morning.

 

She was at a table with a man who looked to be a few years older than her and was being rather affectionate with him. Any potential interest was immediately lost.

 

Siyeon turned back around nodded to placate Jiu. “She’s pretty.”

 

“She looks like she’d be taller than you.” Jiu said, sipping from her drink thoughtfully. “Maybe you like taller girls?”

 

“Yeah. I mean, I don’t know.” Siyeon said.

 

“This would be a lot easier if you would just tell me your ideal type.” Jiu said.

 

“I told you, I’m not sure.” Siyeon said, smiling.

 

“Well, let’s figure it out. I’m really curious.” Jiu said, grinning back.

 

It was a bit embarrassing really, but when Siyeon came out to Jiu the best case scenario she imagined was just having someone to go to when she was feeling down or confused about herself. She never expected Jiu to jump in like this and take so much interest.

 

She would never be able to put it into words how grateful she was that Jiu was being this supportive. Siyeon almost felt normal.

 

“Actually, if I’m honest about it, I feel a little over stimulated.” Siyeon said, leaning over the table and lowering her voice.

 

“What do you mean?” Jiu asked, leaning closer as well.

 

Siyeon looked around to ensure nobody was listening in on them.

 

“I guess, it just feels like my brain is all over the place.” Siyeon squinted, trying to find the right words. “It just seems like everyone I’ve come into contact with lately has something that I find really attractive.”

 

Jiu beamed.

 

“It seems weird, right?” Siyeon asked. “It’s like I’m trying to make up for lost time or something.”

 

“It’s not that weird… you’re just girl crazy.” Jiu said.

 

Siyeon smiled ruefully at the table feeling her cheeks go pink.

 

“But I think that’s fair.” Jiu said, finally getting around to her meal. “I mean you spent most of your life ignoring this, the most powerful human instinct, right? It must have been hard.”

 

“I guess…” Siyeon said.

 

“Everyone deserves love and yours is past due.” Jiu said, taking a bite of her breakfast. “You never had a girlfriend or anything? Like back in school?”

 

Siyeon shook her head.

 

“Never kissed a girl?” Jiu asked in a hushed voice after swallowing.

 

Siyeon took a deep breath and looked away smiling, unable to answer the question for embarrassment.

 

“Woowwwww!” Jiu bellowed, looking impressed.

 

“I can’t believe you’re grilling me.” Siyeon said.

 

“You’re so cute.” Jiu said, shaking her head. “Honestly, I could watch you squirm like this all day.”

 

“Ah yeah, thanks.” Siyeon said weakly. “Are you going to eat that?”

 

“So, who was the lucky girl?” Jiu asked, completely ignoring Siyeon’s attempt to change the subject and seemingly forgetting about her breakfast again.

 

“I can’t say.” Siyeon said. She began playing with her silverware to avoid eye contact.

 

Jiu sized up Siyeon, showing every sign of fervent curiosity.

 

“It must have been recently though, right? So… are you still talking to her? Could this be growing into something?”

 

“No.” Siyeon said, her smile disappearing.

 

“Why not?”

 

Siyeon chewed on the inside of her cheek, hesitating. “...It didn’t mean anything.”

 

It hurt even worse to say it out loud…

 

“Seems like it meant something to you.” Jiu said.

 

Siyeon looked up and met Jiu’s eyes solemnly.

 

“Oh, poor baby…” Jiu frowned.

 

“It’s… whatever.” Siyeon said, shrugging.

 

“She led you on?”

 

“No. No, it’s complicated…”

 

Jiu pouted at Siyeon and continued eating, letting the conversation drop entirely for a while.

 

Siyeon let her eyes wander out the window, watching the ebb and flow of the morning traffic feeling stupid for letting the thought of Yoohyeon upset her again. She would have to put more effort into dropping those wild ideas that the girl might come around in the end. It was just so unlikely...

 

Siyeon took a deep breath and casted her mind out, trying to think of something else.

 

“...It’s Sua, right?” Jiu asked.

 

“No.” Siyeon said, stunned that her guess had hit so close to the mark.

 

“Really?” Jiu asked, genuinely surprised. “Sua’s the only one I could really imagine you kissing.”

 

“Who says it was a member?” Siyeon asked. “Maybe it's somebody you don't know.”

 

“Oh, come on. The only girls you’ve been around in the last few months have been us.” Jiu said, waving a hand dismissively.

 

Siyeon’s stomach lurched. She internally scolded herself for being unable to keep her damn mouth shut.

 

“Well, Sua.. I think she knows about me.” Siyeon said, finding an opportunity to change the subject. “And I think she’s been teasing me on purpose lately.”

 

“I don’t think she knows.” Jiu said.

 

“Well, she’s up to something.” Siyeon shook her head.

 

Jiu smirked. “I don’t think she’s up to anything. I think you’re just a charming girl and she likes being around you. It's pretty obvious she likes flirting with you...”

 

Siyeon almost spilled her drink and made a show of how naturally she set the glass back upright, as if she had almost knocked it over on purpose in the first place. Jiu giggled.

 

Siyeon fought hard to keep the smile off her face and asked as casually as possible, “So… you think I’m charming?”

 

“You’re very charming.” Jiu said.

 

The pink returned to Siyeon’s cheeks rapidly.

 

“You always seem to know exactly what to say when I need to hear it.” Jiu said, her eyes turned upward in thought. “You’re funny, and sweet, and attractive, and talented and… goofy. And I think if you were more assertive and flirted back with Sua, it would blow her mind.”

 

“...You shouldn’t my ego like that.” Siyeon said, now a fine shade of crimson.

 

Jiu ignored her. “Ah, but if Sua’s not the girl you’ve been kissing you must have charmed someone else as well…”

 

“That’s really not it.” Siyeon said. Only in the back of her mind did it register that Jiu just insinuated that she’d charmed Sua. It stopped her breathing mid inhale.

 

“But I was so sure it was Sua.” Jiu said, her eyebrows drawing together.

 

“You think Sua would kiss me in a serious fashion?” Siyeon asked.

 

“Mmm.. Sua strikes me as the type of person who would try anything once.” Jiu laughed.

 

Siyeon didn’t laugh because she thought the same thing about the girl and she didn't want to get her hopes up.

 

Siyeon thought it would be amazing to meet someone who already knew her preference like she did. The last thing Siyeon wanted to do was catch feelings for someone who wasn’t interested in her again.

 

Experimentation was fine. It was great, for now anyway. And Siyeon thought any opportunity to gain experience with girls would be more than welcome.

 

And that Sua would be a great teacher.

 

But the idea of a steady relationship also captivated Siyeon and that was probably the only reason she wasn’t knocking on Sua’s door every night. Siyeon enjoyed the prospect of physical intimacy, but she also wanted to experience courtship. Dates, flowers and all that mushy garbage...

 

All of the things Siyeon wanted to try, she wanted to try more than once.

 

She wondered where someone even finds girls that like other girls. She glanced over her shoulder again to the pretty girl in the blue shirt musing that it would be insanity to approach another woman in a public place like this.

 

Maybe the internet was her only hope for romance…

 

In the end, Siyeon was surprised to find herself happy that her line of work forbade her from dating as it would prevent her from having to worry about this any time soon.

 

“She has really kind eyes.” Jiu said, following Siyeon’s gaze to the other side of the room.

 

“She does.” Siyeon said, turning to face forward again.

 

Jiu was finally properly delving into her breakfast now so Siyeon thought the worst of the grilling session must be over. She turned her attention back out to the traffic outside that was now much more animated since it was finally enough for the morning commuters to begin their journey to work.

 

“Are you excited for Japan?” Jiu asked.

 

“I’ll always be excited for Japan.” Siyeon smiled. “We’ll be rooming together, right?”

 

Jiu shook her head. “I’m with Dong and Gahyeon. You’ll be with Dami again.”

 

“Ah, it’ll be a quiet trip then.” Siyeon sighed. “She’s been so cold lately.”

 

“Really?” Jiu asked. “She seems normal to me?”

 

“Does she? I feel like she hasn’t spoken to me in months.” Siyeon frowned, thinking this was strange.

 

She thought Dami’s mood had been universal towards everyone until now.

 

“Ah, it was Dami you were kissing, then?” Jiu laughed.

 

Siyeon laughed too. “No, no. Not Dami.”

 

Dami knew who she kissed though…

 

It was hard to tell the exact moment when Dami’s cold spell had begun, but it did seem to be around the time when she had her ‘adventure’ with Yoohyeon…

 

“I could have believed that.” Jiu said, breaking Siyeon’s concentration.

 

“Believed what?” Siyeon asked, distractedly.

 

“You and Dami.” Jiu said. Seeing the look of confusion on Siyeon's face, she continued, “She seems like she has a lot of secrets too.”

 

Siyeon stared at Jiu as if she'd just spoken in a foreign language and she had somehow understood it. The statement alone made no sense, of course. It was utterly ridiculous.

 

Siyeon even theorized for a while that Dami was disgusted with her, perhaps having homophobic tendencies to a degree, but that seemed unlikely since she was still closer than ever with Yoohyeon.

 

Dami couldn’t possibly… but if she did like girls, or one very specific girl that Siyeon happened to kiss recently, well she would have a very good reason for being upset with her.

 

Siyeon wouldn’t even know where to begin to handle a situation like that. A rival? On top of everything else and now she would have to spend an entire week sharing a hotel room with her in Japan.

 

Panic began to settle in because this wasn’t something that could be simply resolved. It wasn’t like she could just talk to her about it as she did when she had a problem with Yoohyeon. Dami couldn’t be honest with her without outing herself, if that was the case.

 

The more Siyeon thought about it, the more she noted numerable times that Dami and Yoohyeon were seemingly inseparable. Yoohyeon even trusted Dami enough to confide in her about her drunken adventure. They were so close, Siyeon couldn’t even think about competing with that...

 

It just felt so hard to believe because Siyeon had never seen Dami express interest in anyone before. Much like Siyeon though, whenever a handsome actor or something spawned a giggly discussion amongst the other girls, Dami would never participate.


Siyeon remained expressionless and sat silent while Jiu finished eating, her mind spinning a million miles a second.


 

“While we have everyone here, we’re planning on having dinner downstairs at around seven and afterwards we’ll be taking a van to the practice location.”

 

“Night practice!” Gahyeon howled in dramatic agony.

 

Normally Siyeon would agree, but if they were giving them the entire afternoon to rest it wasn’t so bad. She kept her eyes fixated on the back of Dami’s head as the elevator rose, the quick change in elevation leaving a funny feeling in her stomach.

 

She reclined against the back wall of the elevator and observed as Yoohyeon bent down to put her head on Dami’s shoulder in front of her. Dami reached up to clumsily pat the side of Yoohyeon’s head.

 

Siyeon had spent the last week watching the two closely and work aside, they rarely seemed to be out of each other's company. Of course it was common for same age friends to be close, but there was something in the way Dami looked at Yoohyeon. Dami, cold and stern, came to life in Yoohyeon’s presence. It was an effect that none of the other girls had on her.

 

It all just felt so… plausible.

 

Siyeon felt a little stupid for believing this theory wholeheartedly now, without any real evidence, but she could come up with no other explanation. This week, she was determined one way or another to find the reason behind Dami’s animosity.

 

Siyeon followed the other girls out of the elevator and down the hallway thinking only of the awkward attempts at conversation she was about to make. They stopped halfway down the hall at their door. Incidentally Jiu, Handong and Gahyeon’s room was right across the way from their own room. Yoohyeon and Sua’s room was several doors down the hall.

 

As Gahyeon was talking animatedly on the other side of the hall about the amazing nap she was about to take, Siyeon slid the keycard for her own door with no success.

 

She slid it again and it was like the red light was taunting her. She glanced sideways at Dami who was standing there watching her, expressionless.

 

Siyeon slid the card again and the light flickered red.

 

Access denied.

 

“Stupid thing.” Siyeon said, her eyes narrowing.

 

“Let me try, Unnie.” Dami said, holding out a hand.

 

In one quick slide the door flashed green Dami pushed it open with a hint of a smile.

 

Siyeon scratched her head. “Of course.”

 

“Magic hands.” Dami smirked.

 

“I guess so.” Siyeon chuckled, entering the room.

 

The first thing she saw was that there was only one king sized bed. Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. Happyface did like saving money whenever they could. Siyeon parked her luggage in the corner and watched as Dami opened up the curtains. At least they had a decent view of downtown Tokyo. Siyeon came to stand beside Dami to peer out over the expansive cityscape.

 

“Anything you’d like to see while we’re here?” Siyeon asked.

 

“Everything.” Dami said, her lip curling. “But I don’t think we’re going to have much free time.”

 

Siyeon sighed. “You’re right. But maybe we can talk them into one thing, at least.”

 

“Good luck.” Dami said without much enthusiasm.

 

“Do you have a preference of what side of the bed you want to sleep on?” Siyeon asked.

 

“Nope.” Dami answered.

 

Siyeon rolled onto the bed coming to rest on her back. She pulled her phone and ear buds from her back pocket and put on some music before connecting to the hotel’s wifi. Dami bent beside the bed to retrieve something and emerged with a book after rifling through her bag. She lay beside Siyeon leaning against headboard and began reading.

 

Today, Siyeon was more than happy just laying in bed in the hotel room and she knew Dami probably felt the same way.

 

Around other people, Siyeon knew she was considered one of the loud kids, but during downtime she thought Dami and herself resembled one another very closely. She always considered Dami one of the most ideal roommates because on the numerous occasions she’d spent days off lazing around in her room listening to music or napping, Dami would often be a few feet away from her in her own bed being so quiet it was easy to forget she was even there.

 

Dami was very easy to share silence with when Siyeon wasn’t suspecting awkward tension.

 

Unfortunately, right now Siyeon didn’t want to share silence with Dami. She wanted nothing more than to open a dialogue and maybe even make the girl laugh like she used to be able to do so easily…

 

She tried to look at Dami out of the corner of her eye without much success. All she could see was the unmoving figure who seemed content in the silence.

 

It would be considered rude to try and start a conversation with someone who was reading, right?

 

Siyeon considered Dami one of her best friends and even now she could feel the girl slipping away.

 

It hurt…

 

She sighed and put on her favorite ballad playlist, set the phone on her chest and closed her eyes.

 

They had to spend an entire week together.

 

A better opportunity would present itself. The words she was searching for would come to her.

 

She would just have to sleep on it.

 

At least the bed was nice. Siyeon slid under the comforter and felt the day of travel fatigue embrace the soft melodies coming through her ear buds. Her eyes closed and whatever it was she dreamed of felt very pleasant.

 

What only felt like mere seconds later, Siyeon inhaled sharply like she hadn’t been breathing for the last several minutes. She stared blankly at nothing in particular as her mind slowly came back to itself.

 

The lightning in the room was different which signified that a few hours must have passed by now. She blinked slowly trying to process what had just happened in her dream in vain, as the memory was fading faster than she could remember. Even if she couldn’t remember the exact details of the dream, she somehow felt that Yoohyeon was in it.

 

A loud knock came at the door. Siyeon flinched, but something next to her flinched much harder.

 

Looking to the side, Siyeon could see that Dami was curled up to her with her head on her shoulder. She looked disoriented and slightly frightened.

 

Siyeon stared at her wondering when she’d gotten there and more importantly why.

 

“You better be awake!”

 

Dami recoiled again.

 

Sua’s voice...

 

“It’s okay.” Siyeon said, rubbing the girl’s shoulder until she was sure Dami was a hundred percent awake and no longer afraid before getting out of bed.

 

Siyeon ran a hand through her hair in an attempt to tame it before pulling the door open.

 

Sua’s fist was aloft in mid air about to knock on the door. Her eyes widened in delight.

 

“You’re basically sleepwalking.” She said. “You realize we’re going to dinner in 20 minutes, right?”

 

Siyeon swore loudly and looked over her shoulder to see Dami clambering out of bed. Evidently she’d heard Sua.

 

“Shower first.” Siyeon said. “Be quick.”

 

“Yes, Unnie.” Dami said.

 

“I hate rushing.” Siyeon muttered, pulling her suitcase to the side of the bed before sitting on it. Sua sat beside her.

 

“You must have been tired, you really slept all this time?” She asked.

 

“Yep.”

 

Siyeon began digging through her suitcase in search of workout clothes. She pulled out long white shirt. Sua reached a hand into her bag as well.

 

“Here.” She said, pulling out a pair of stretchy black shorts. “Your looks nice in these.”

 

Siyeon finished pulling out the track pants she was going for and paused to stare at Sua.

 

“Do you stare at my often?” She asked.

 

Sua grinned. “Oh I don’t know, probably just about as much as you stare at mine.”

 

Siyeon smiled and Jiu’s words returned to her once again. There was one way to figure out if Sua was messing with her and Siyeon decided to try her hand at blowing her mind..

 

“Oh... that’s quite a lot then.” Siyeon said. Sua’s eyes widened.

 

“Tell you what...“ Siyeon took the shorts out of Sua’s hand, pleased to see the stunned expression on her face. “I’ll wear these under my pants, that way if it gets hot I can take them off.”

 

“Tch.” Sua exhaled sharply, and teetering on the edge of speech for a while.

 

Siyeon fought to keep her face blank. “You should do the same so I have something nice to look at tonight.”

 

Siyeon watched very closely as Sua went through about a dozen different expressions in the span of a few seconds. She gaped at Siyeon, blinking rapidly and trying to see through her.

 

Siyeon bit her lip and smirked for dramatic effect when she thought she wasn’t going to get a response.

 

Sua finally hit Siyeon in the shoulder. “What’s with you…?”

 

Siyeon beamed, sensing the hint of aegyo in Sua’s voice.

 

“You’re not playful today?” Siyeon asked.

 

“I’m always playful.” Sua said, pulling Siyeon’s arm up to wrap it around her the back of own neck. “It’s you that usually isn’t playful.”

 

Dami came out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel and pulled an outfit as well as a hair dryer and a baseball cap out of her bag.

 

“That’s not true.” Siyeon said.

 

“It is.” Sua purred, nuzzling her face into Siyeon’s arm.

 

Siyeon smiled to herself because Jiu was so right and this aggressive behavior was working. Sua began playing with Siyeon’s hands affectionately.

 

Looking up, she saw Dami frozen in place watching them, the death glare seemingly returned with even more fervor. She blinked a few times before turning her attention away from Siyeon.

 

“Shower’s open.” Dami muttered as she plugged in the hair dryer. “We’re going to be late.”

 

Siyeon sighed, reclaiming her arm. “Yeah, we are.”

 

“It’s okay.” Sua said, standing up. She walked to the door and turned with a lecherous smile. “I should go put my shorts on anyway.”

 

“Yeah.” Siyeon said, shakily getting to her own feet. “You should.”

 

Sua concluded the encounter by tilting her head cutely, and waving before leaving. The entire time she was here she didn’t even acknowledge Dami’s existence.

 

But Siyeon couldn’t feel anything other than over the moon at the moment. She stood there hardly daring to believe how good that went for a long moment as she smiled at the closed door. This new feeling of confidence was pouring through her for the first time.

 

“Unnie, the time.” Dami said without looking at her.

 

“Yeah.” Siyeon said vaguely, gathering her shower things and entering the bathroom.


 

Siyeon was enjoying this trip more than any other in the country as a group. Finally, it seemed they were starting to grow a fanbase. Every showcase they did seemed to garner more interest and the enthusiasm of the fans had grown substantially.

 

Goodnight was a success, and it was the morale boost that was necessary. Siyeon could sense that feeling of relief from everyone. Most of the tension was waning away and she could also feel the group glowing closer as a tight knit unit. It was a very good feeling.

 

Come the day of the last showcase, Siyeon felt very conflicted. A part of her wanted more time in Japan and the other part couldn’t wait to get home and get some much needed downtime. She thought she could use a mental health week just to gather her feelings.

 

Siyeon found that she could no longer do anything without catching eye contact from Sua and she was finding out very quickly that she loved the attention. With this new found confidence she found that it garnered her even more of it, even from the other girls. Even from Yoohyeon.

 

Siyeon even used this in her fan service, flirting with the cute Japanese girls if they seemed to show a lot of interest in her. It was becoming so much easier to put herself out there like that. She had so much to thank Sua for…

 

Her only regret of the week is that she hadn’t found the right words to talk to Dami yet. It had remained quiet between the girls but the part that mystified Siyeon was that every morning she found Dami laying on her shoulder.

 

This didn’t bother Siyeon at all, of course, but it left her more confused than ever. And it ruined any attempt she could put up for trying to pick Dami’s brain when she was being so cute in the subtlest way. How would Siyeon be able to turn around and ask Dami why she was being cold after the girl had just spent every night this week cuddling up to her?

 

Dami was just so complex and the walls she built up so high over the years seemed impenetrable. What Siyeon wouldn’t give to be able to read minds…

 

She obsessed over her approach now, on their last night in Japan, knowing that not much time remained. It was time to swallow her pride and just plainly ask what she wanted to know. It wouldn’t be the smoothest approach, but what was really the worst that could happen?

 

Siyeon stared blankly at the television deep in thought.

 

Dami was in the shower now…

 

Before bed she would have to bring it up.

 

Yep, tonight was the night.

 

Siyeon heard laughter coming from the hallway that pulled her attention away from her own thoughts. Having nothing better to do at the time besides drive herself insane, she decided to investigate. Peeking an eye through the peep hole, she noticed the door on the opposite side of the hall was open.

 

She crossed the hallway and found Jiu cross legged on her bed, Yoohyeon sitting on the end of it beside her, Gahyeon asleep in her own bed and Handong standing next to Yoohyeon.

 

“Hey, you’re going to wake up that baby.” Siyeon said, grinning. She walked up behind Handong and put her chin on the girl’s shoulder.

 

“Nope. I don’t think a 10.0 earthquake could wake that baby.” Jiu said.

 

“I wish I could be….” Handong paused. “That… asleep right now.”

 

Siyeon smiled at Handong’s broken Korean. She was getting better though, definitely better. Dong truly deserved all the credit in the world.

 

“Are you tired?” Siyeon asked her. “We could tuck you in right next to her.”

 

“I can tuck myself.” Handong smiled.

 

Siyeon caught Yoohyeon’s eye and it took everything she had to keep from bursting out laughing. They both quickly looked away from one another.

 

Jiu noticed.

 

“You guys are terrible.” She muttered, getting to her feet. “Get some rest Dongdong, we’ll go talk in the hallway.”

 

Jiu jabbed Siyeon in the stomach playfully as she passed. Siyeon waited for Yoohyeon to get up before following Jiu out into the hallway.

 

“She’s a really sweet girl, you guys shouldn’t make fun of her-” Jiu started after closing the door.

 

“Of course she’s sweet!” Yoohyeon said. “We love her, she’s adorable, and it doesn’t bother her.”

 

Siyeon nodded.

 

“Okay but what if it does and she’s just not saying so?” Jiu asked.

 

“I’ve spoken to her very frankly on the matter.” Yoohyeon said. “She’s really happy with us. She likes us, and it really doesn’t bother her.”

 

Jiu’s eyes swept from Yoohyeon to Siyeon.

 

“She can tuck herself, Unnie.” Siyeon shrugged with a pleasant smile. Yoohyeon laughed.

 

Jiu’s lip twitched. Although she didn’t seem convinced, she let the matter drop.

 

Yoohyeon began to hang off of Siyeon from behind, arms around her front.

 

Siyeon felt her insides do a backflip but kept her face passive and avoided eye contact with Jiu, opting instead to play with the skin on Yoohyeon’s arms, pinching it gently..

 

“It feels like we’re about to break through, doesn’t it?” Jiu asked after a long moment.

 

“What do you mean?” Siyeon asked.

 

“I mean.. Dreamcatcher. It just.. Feels different than Minx doesn’t it?”

 

Siyeon could feel Yoohyeon nod behind her.

 

“It already feels like we’ve had more success.” Siyeon said.

 

“Absolutely.” Yoohyeon said.

 

“Ah” Jiu started smiling softly. “I’m glad I could find success with you guys. It means a lot. We fought so hard to get here…”

 

“Oh wow.” Yoohyeon said. “Save it for our first win, won’t you?”

 

Siyeon chuckled. “Going to get all emotional on us?” She asked.

 

“Did you idiots lock yourselves out?” A voice came from the end of the hall.

 

Siyeon turned and her heart stopped in her chest.

 

Sua and Minari were approaching them from the elevator. Sua was in full makeup, wearing a denim jacket over a long men’s dress shirt, short shorts that you could barely even see and thigh high socks. Siyeon thought her eyes were going to fall out of their sockets.

 

Sua noticed Siyeon’s expression immediately and gave an arrogant smirk.

 

“What were you two doing?” Jiu asked.

 

“Pictures.” Minari said. “We’ll post these on instagram and it’ll look like you guys got to do some sightseeing.”

 

“Waahhh!” Yoohyeon choked, letting go of Siyeon. “Why didn't you tell me? I would have gone. Where did you go?”

 

Siyeon was now locked so tightly in eye contact with Sua that she couldn’t even move her muscles. It felt like Sua was physically holding her in place with her gaze. It also felt like she was trying to tell her things with her eyes…

 

“We just walked the streets and found some nice architecture. It was actually a really nice atmosphere.” Minari said.

 

Yoohyeon smirked at Sua. “Street walker.”

 

Sua dropped her staring match with Siyeon abruptly and if looks could actually kill, Yoohyeon would have been dead on the cheap hotel carpet.

 

“Do you want to die, kid?” She asked Yoohyeon, her fist raised.

 

Yoohyeon ducked behind Siyeon again, Siyeon put an arm out to try and maintain her balance from the now awkward weight distribution.

 

“Can I see the pictures?” Jiu asked Minari.

 

Siyeon kept her eyes on Jiu looking at Minari’s pictures, while acknowledging Sua saying things like ‘Siyeon isn’t going to protect you’ up close to her face. She was afraid to make eye contact with Sua again for fear of melting into a puddle.

 

“But it’s fine, hide all you want. You have to share a room with me later anyway.” Sua laughed.

 

“Anyway, I’m exhausted. Goodnight.” Minari said.

 

“I’m exhausted too.” Yoohyeon said, laughing and edging her away around Siyeon to position Jiu in between herself and Sua before backing towards her room.

 

“See you soon.” Sua said, the threat thick in her voice.

 

“Those pictures turned out really good.” Jiu said.

 

“Yeah, I’m happy with them.” Sua said, turning her attention back to Jiu. “I just wish we had more time… I feel like I’d really like Japan’s nightlife.”

 

“Yeah.” Siyeon said, imagining Sua becoming the queen of the nightlife in Japan with very little effort.

 

Both of the girls looked at her.

 

“This kid must be tired too.” Jiu said.

 

“I am, actually.” Siyeon said.

 

Sua took this as an invitation to step forward and squeeze Siyeon’s cheeks with both hands.

 

Siyeon stared down into her eyes because it was an easy way to avoid looking at Jiu who was surely judging her hard by now.

 

“It is past your bedtime, isn’t it?” Sua asked.

 

“I don’t have a bedtime.” Siyeon said, raising an eyebrow.

 

“Well, I’m going to get some rest, and you should do the same.” Sua said, running a thumb across Siyeon’s chin.

 

The hairs on the back of Siyeon’s neck stood on end. The way Sua was acting, you would think that she’d forgotten Jiu even existed.

 

Siyeon chanced a glance at Jiu only to find her smirking at the floor.

 

The thumb on Siyeon’s chin gripped her firmly and turned her face to the side. Sua used a hand on Siyeons shoulder to steady her balance as she rolled onto her toes and planted a lingering kiss on her cheek.

 

Siyeon’s face flushed hot and fast. She could feel herself turning purple and her eyes try and close on their own volition.

 

“Goodnight you two.” Sua said, sauntering down the hall.

 

Siyeon’s throbbing heart compelled her to follow the girl to her room but she remained in place as if she were rooted to the floor. She couldn’t take her eyes off of the retreating figure. Dazedly, she brought a hand up to her own face and touched the place where Sua’s soft lips had settled for so long. The area felt like it burned white hot.

 

Sua turned at her door and waved once more before entering her room.

 

Siyeon exhaled loudly and felt remarkably dizzy. She was reminded that Jiu was still there by the girls soft laugh.

 

“This is what I’m talking about.” Siyeon exclaimed, indignantly. “She’s totally messing with me!”

 

“I don’t think she is.” Jiu said.

 

“How can you say that!? Didn’t you see what just happened?” Siyeon huffed, just short of hyperventilation now. “She-”

 

“She has you in the palm of her hand.”

 

“Yeah!”

 

“She plays you like a guitar. And you love every second of it.” Jiu smiled.

 

“Of course I do. Who wouldn’t? Look at her. My God, did you see what she was wearing?” Siyeon winced.

 

“Have you ever considered that she might be ‘messing with you’ because she likes you?” Jiu asked.

 

“Unnie,” Siyeon smiled softly, “Please don’t jinx it.”

 

Jiu beamed and pulled Siyeon into a tight hug. “You’re crushing so hard.”

 

“She’s just so.. Hot.” Siyeon said weakly, hugging her back. “I’m not used to getting this kind of attention.”

 

“You’re an adult now, this kind of attention is part of the process.” Jiu said, pulling back, “Listen, when we get home we should have a movie night or a lunch date or something. I have a theory about Sua.”

 

“That would be great.” Siyeon said. “I can use any advice you have.”

 

“Cutie.” Jiu smiled. “You just have to know, watching you navigate this uncharted territory like an awkward teenager is the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen.”

 

“I’m glad you’re enjoying it because this is the most stressful roller coaster I’ve ever been on...”

 

“Don’t worry so much… Just enjoy it for what it is.” Jiu said.

 

Siyeon sighed and turned for her door. “I’m going to bed.”

 

“Sweet dreams.” Jiu said with a smirk. “About someone…”

 

“Oh, shut up.” Siyeon groaned, closing the door behind her.

 

The first thing she saw was Dami laying on the bed watching TV. Siyeon had forgotten all about this debacle about to happen.

 

With her heart unlikely to stop it’s rampant drum solo any time soon just from the dangerous Sua drive-by, she found she was too emotionally drained to worry about talking to Dami gracefully anymore.

 

As she crawled into bed beside the girl, she decided that talking to her naturally would be the best approach.

 

“What are we watching?” She asked.

 

“I’m not actually sure.” Dami said, offering to hand off the remote to the older girl.

 

“No, no. You decide.” Siyeon said.

 

Having a of genius, Siyeon decided to give Dami a piece of her own medicine. After pulling the comforter over herself she rolled onto her side and curled up to the younger girl, finding a comfortable spot for her head on Dami’s shoulder.

 

Of course, Dami didn’t outwardly react, but Siyeon took comfort in the fact that Dami was likely confused by the action.

 

A small fraction of the confusion that Siyeon had been feeling lately.

 

“You’re comfortable.” Siyeon muttered, her hand landing on Dami’s stomach.

 

Dami put her hand on top of Siyeon’s like she was just trying to prevent any further movement.

 

“Your hands are really pretty, too. And big.” Siyeon said, interlocking their fingers.

 

Dami only squeezed her hand in response.

 

“Dami-ah.” Siyeon said. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Mm?”

 

“Why don’t we talk anymore?”

 

There was an extended pause.

 

“We talk.” Dami said.

 

“Not like we used to.” Siyeon responded.

 

Another pause.

 

“I don’t know.” Dami said.

 

“I know that you know what happened with me and Yoohyeon.” Siyeon said.

 

The longest pause yet.

 

“Did... that upset you somehow?” Siyeon asked.

 

“No.” Dami said.

 

“You and Yoohyeon are really close, right?” Siyeon asked.

 

“Yeah.” Dami said, sitting up straighter. It forced Siyeon to move. “But it didn’t upset me.”

 

“Well, what’s the problem then?” Siyeon asked.

 

No response.

 

Siyeon sat up to look in Dami’s face.

 

“Everytime I look at you, I feel like you’re glaring at me.” Siyeon said.

 

“It’s not glaring.” Dami said.

 

“Well what is it?” Siyeon asked. “You’re my friend but I get this feeling like you hate me right now.”

 

Dami’s eyes went wide. “I, I don’t hate you.”

 

Siyeon heaved a deep sigh and scratched her head looking away. She wasn’t going to allow Dami to play stupid. It was time for answers.

 

“You… you like Yoohyeon, right?” She asked.

 

“Yoohyeon?” Dami asked.

 

“You like her, and that's why you’re upset with me.” Siyeon said.

 

Dami blinked several times as she processed this new information. She looked more confused than ever.

 

After several seconds it made sense.

 

She gasped.

 

“You think I like Yoohyeon?” Dami exclaimed.

 

Siyeon groaned loudly, exasperated.

 

“You aren’t given me anything else to go on! What else am I supposed to think? That’s the only thing that’s happened since you’ve gotten really cold with me.”

 

“Wow.” Dami said, bringing a hand to her forehead. “I really don’t know what to say but I don’t like Yoohyeon like that. She’s my best friend.”

 

“Okay then, but what’s the..” Siyeon frowned, feeling exhausted and too embarrassed to even continue. “You know what? Nevermind. Goodnight.”

 

Siyeon rolled over and pulled the covers to her chin feeling like a complete idiot.

 

Dami didn’t move for a while. After a while the TV turned off, and soon after the lights.

 

Siyeon felt as though her stomach was digesting itself.

 

“Pillow.” Dami said.

 

Siyeon thought she must have heard her incorrectly.

 

“What?” She asked.

 

She felt pressure on her shoulder and allowed herself to be rolled onto her back. Dami once again curled up to her and put her head on her shoulder.

 

“Pillow.” She repeated.

 

“Am I your pillow?” Siyeon asked, half amused.

 

“Yep.” Dami said.

 

Siyeon stared at the gray ceiling.

 

So, she was a pillow now.

 

She didn’t mind, of course, she just thought there was no limit to how elaborate Dami’s thought process was.. If Siyeon was lucky, she thought she might be able to walk away from this night with neither of them mentioning it again.

 

“Unnie.” Dami said softly.

 

“Mm?”

 

“I’ve never really been good at talking about my feelings.” She said. “It’s not something anyone ever really did in my family.”

 

“That’s okay.” Siyeon said. “I’m sorry for prying.”

 

“No, don’t be. I’d like to get better at it.” She said. “I mean, I’ve been trying to work on it.”

 

“Well, you can talk to me any time.” Siyeon said, snaking her arm around Dami’s back.

 

“Thanks..” Dami said.

 

Siyeon closed her eyes, smiling to herself. She hoped in the future that she’d have more moments like this with Dami and was very happy that Dami wasn’t attracted to Yoohyeon. The idiotic foot-in-mouth moment seemed like it wasn’t going to have any lasting effect. She also found Dami’s voice very attractive when she spoke in a low register like this.

 

Voices were very important to Siyeon.

 

“I have just been... curious.” Dami said. “Yoohyeon kind of panicked, you know? But it didn’t seem to have any effect on you. So I've been watching you closely”

 

“What didn’t?”

 

“Kissing a girl.” She said.

 

Siyeon laughed a little.

 

No effect? Oh, Dami, if only you knew..

 

This curiosity meant that normal humans, that weren’t Jiu, wouldn’t have noticed any difference in her behavior. Siyeon felt very reassured.

 

“It wasn’t a huge deal.” Siyeon lied.

 

“Yoohyeon said it was actually pretty nice.” Dami said.

 

Siyeon’s eyes flew open. “She… did?”

 

“I think that’s why it weirded her out, because she enjoyed it.”

 

Siyeon didn’t have words and she knew Dami would be able to tell the difference in her posture. She took a deep breath to compose herself.

 

“It.. was nice.” Siyeon said finally.

 

“Really? Would you do it again?” Dami asked.

 

“Ha, well, I don’t think Yoohyeon would want to..” Siyeon said quickly.

 

Red flag.

 

Why was Dami being so inquisitive?

 

“What about a different girl?” Dami asked.

 

“Uhm.” Siyeon cleared , but it didn’t stop her from stammering. “I mean, it would depend on… Like, it wasn’t a big deal anyway so.. I don’t see why not. Maybe…”

 

“Mm.” was Dami’s response.

 

“Why do you ask?” Siyeon asked.

 

“Just.. curious.” Dami murmured.

 

Dami pulled put her arm around Siyeon’s front and pulled herself closer, eventually going still against her shoulder.

 

Siyeon on the other hand lamented that this would be another night with no sleep due to too many damn things on her mind.