You Belong With Me

just KYUNA -- OneShots/Songfics :)

 

8 o’clock.

 

I ran up to my room after kissing my parents goodnight. The usual reason: I’ll be reviewing. But actually, that was just the second.

 

I gathered my books from my bag and piled them over my table. I fixed my lampshade and took a brief glance at the window.

 

He was already in his room.

 

I smiled to myself as I tried hard to compose my sanity. I sat down on my chair and the lampshade. I slid my curtains to the side so that I could get a full view of the guy just meters away from me.

 

Kyuhyun.

 

He lives on the house just opposite ours. We’ve been neighbors since I could remember. We went to the same school in kindergarten, elementary, junior high school and up until now on Senior high. Our parents are really good friends, and I can confidently say that Kyuhyun and I are friends as well. Well, not as close as our parents who seemed to be like real brothers and sisters. When there are family gatherings in our house, Kyuhyun and his family will be there. On their family’s special occasions, we are always invited. Our families are really close, really.

 

Kyuhyun in an only child, and so am I. So you could imagine what really happened when we were younger. Yes. We are playmates. My parents always tell me to play with Kyuhyun because he doesn’t have any friends. At first I was so happy because finally I could have an oppa and a male friend. I was tired of playing with Sooyoung and Tiffany, who were the kids from the other house. But sadly, when Kyuhyun started discovering the world on his own and when he had lots of friends, he started forgetting about me being his loyal playmate. He slipped away, and I was left with Sooyoung and Tiffany again.

 

We were on the same class since kindergarten up until now, but we rarely talk. Kyuhyun is a quiet but cool type. He’s so smart in Math and is really a very good clarinet player. I would sometimes skip cleaning the room just to watch him in the music room.

 

Kyuhyun is the school’s Mr. Perfect. Well, I definitely agree with that. Who’s better than him at school anyway? And he’s really popular with girls. I know a lot of girls who have a crush on him and were throwing me sharp glares when they learned that I live just in front of Kyuhyun's house. They knew about that when I went home with Kyuhyun after our school fest ended very late at night. I had no choice since my mom asked Kyuhyun to take me home after the school program. You could imagine how I wanted to vanish right on my spot when Kyuhyun went looking for me in my classroom. I mean, hey Mr. Popular is looking for the Alligator-mouth Im Yoona. how cool is that?

 

I can’t remember when I started liking Kyuhyun. Maybe since kindergarten when he shared his snack with me, or maybe since 3rd grade when he punched that bully Heechul for making me cry by scribbling some monster into my drawing, or maybe during Junior High when he would tutor me with Math. I don’t really remember the exact instant. It just popped. I just woke up wanting to see him badly. I know I’m too stupid to like someone who won’t look at me as more than friends but still, I did.

 

Kyuhyun is my prince.

 

But seeing him right now, there on the window opposite mine, talking with someone over his phone whom I know is his girlfriend Yuri, I know I don’t stand a chance on him. Hey, his girlfriend is Yuri! The school’s diva, the cheerleader, the queenbee. Me? I’m just his neighbor slash family friend. Nothing extraordinary about me could fascinate him.

 

I could never be his princess. Even in dreams, it seemed impossible.

 

Then I saw his wave at me and smiled. I smiled back, and thanked he was far enough from me that he could not see me blush fiercely.

 

He took a paper from his desk and scribbled something on it. after doing so, he flashed in on the pane.

 

Can we meet outside?

 

I smiled as I held up my thumb, and he skipped out his room after sliding down the window.

 

I ran to the stairs and met my mom who was on her way to their room.

 

“I thought you’re studying?” she asked.

 

“Kyuhyun's waiting outside.” I smiled as I skipped past her to the door.

 

I found Kyuhyun sitting on the grass outside our gate, looking at the big black thing over us. I sat beside him, with my heart thumping wildly against my chest.

 

“We fought again.” He sighed.

 

I knew it.

 

When he wanted to talk to me, it would always be about his girlfriends, or his dreams or his frustrations in life. Personally, I like though not that much. There wouldn’t be much reason to talk about with Kyuhyun aside from school but still, I feel a little happy when he opens up with me. I know he just don’t have anybody to talk to about these stuff but me. he doesn’t have a choice but me, and I’m happy with that. I’m contented with that.

 

“About what this time?” I asked.

 

“The usual. Petty stuff. I told her I can’t fetch her tomorrow because I have a clarinet practice and she started ranting.” He chuckled.

 

If you only have me for your girlfriend, you wouldn’t have to choose between your clarinet and me because I could understand you.

 

“Well, maybe she’s PMS-ing this time.” I smiled.

 

He laughed.

 

And he looked so handsome.

 

“PMS? Really? I haven’t thought about that.”

 

“Well, us girls have that.” I shrugged.

 

“You know Yoong, you’re the best. You really know how to cheer me up.” He beamed.

 

Of course I know. after all, cheering you up is all that I could do so that you’d talk to me.

 

“I know. that’s what I do best.”

 

“Your boyfriend will be lucky.” He said.

 

I’ll be luckier of you become my boyfriend.

 

“Hey. Is Donghae already your boyfriend? I heard you and him are dating.” He said.

 

“Ow. No. he’s not my boyfriend. I don’t have a boyfriend right now.”

 

“Really? Why? You’re really pretty, I swear. Are the guys gone blind?” he asked in disbelief.

 

You are blind, stupid.

 

“Well, I’m still waiting.”

 

“Waiting for what?”

 

“Waiting for that someone to hit his head on a rock and realize that he likes me back.” I giggled.

 

I’m waiting for you to wake up and realize that you belong with me, stupid.

 

“That someone must be very stupid for not realizing that he is liked by someone as good as you.” He smiled.

 

“Yes. He is very stupid.” I smirked.

 

A normal day at school, and I saw people crowding at the message board near the registrar’s office.

 

“Yoong!” Sooyoung called.

 

“Why is everyone busy?” I asked.

 

“You don’t know? the prom’s in three days!” Tiffany shrieked excitedly as the two drag me to the announcement area.

 

True. The prom’s in three days.

 

“So, you have your dress ready?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“Nope.”

 

“Who’s doing your make up?”

 

“Dunno.”

 

“Seriously?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“WHY?” they both whined loudly.

 

“What’s the point of preparing for the prom when you can’t dance your crush?” I pouted.

 

Yes. My friends knew too well that I like Kyuhyun so they are a little too overboard when they knew that the prom was approaching and I’m not doing anything to impress him.

 

“I want to kill you!” Sooyoung shrieked.

 

“We don’t have a choice. You’re coming with us on the day of the prom. We’ll be your fairy godmothers.” Tiffany crossed her arms over her chest as she looked at me, then to Sooyoung who merely nodded.

 

I’m so dead.

 

The same night, instead of flashing a message on the window pane, Kyuhyun called me.

 

“Can we talk outside?”

 

He sounded so hoarse, and lonely.

 

“Sure. I’m going down.”

 

I found him lying on the grass, his eyes glittering as he looked at the move above us.

 

“What’s up?” I asked as I sat down on the spot beside him.

 

“We broke up.”

 

I don’t know what to feel. I wanted to be happy because finally broke up and now I have a chance on his again. But somehow I felt terribly sad. I know Kyuhyun loves Yuri very much and breaking up with her isn’t easy. He looked so depressed, and that’s the very last thing I want to happen.

 

“Sorry.” I whispered.

 

“Why are you sorry?” he chuckled.

 

“I… well…”

 

“Don’t bother. I just need someone to be with me right now. Can you please stay?” he smiled.

 

“Sure.”

 

We sat there on the grass, looking up the vast sky. I felt a little uneasy, because the usual talkative Kyuhyun turned into a silent one. I’m not used to it. I’m usually the one who listens while he does the talking. Now, there is neither talking nor listening. Just silence.

 

“There are still a lot of girls there Kyu-ah. don’t be too sad, okay?” I said as he was about to cross the road towards their house. He looked back and smiled.

 

A sincere smile.

 

A smile for me.

 

“Yeah. Maybe I wasn’t just looking good enough.”

 

The following morning, he didn’t show up on school. Mom told me they have to go out of town for two days because of a business trip.

 

Two days.

 

Meaning he won’t be on the prom.

 

And he went out of town without even telling me.

 

Well, it’s not he have to. I’m not his girlfriend. But, I’m still his friend right?

 

Friend.

 

The word that defines who I am in his life.

 

Plain friend.

 

“Yoong! Be on time tomorrow, okay? Be on our house at exactly 1 o’clock.” Tiffany said.

 

“But the prom’s starting at 6 in the evening. Why so early?” I whined.

 

“We have to get you ready. You have to be the prettiest for Kyuhyun.” She smirked.

 

“He’s not going. He’s on a trip.” I said.

 

“So? What if he turns up and you look horrible?” Sooyoung reasoned before taking a big bite on her burger.

 

“He won’t show up.”

 

“Just stop whining and mourning there, okay? Tomorrow, at my place. 1pm.” Tiffany said as she bade goodbye and skipped inside their house.

 

 

“What have you done to me?!” I shrieked as I saw my reflection in the mirror.

 

“You look gorgeous!” Sooyoung clapped her hands and she examined me.

 

“I look plain while the two of you look so dashing.” I rolled my eyes.

 

“Yah! You look the prettiest when you’re simple.” Tiffany hit my head.

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Let’s go!” Sooyoung pulled me out of Tiffany’s room. A car was waiting outside, which will take us to the school for the prom. Tiffany’s mother arranged everything: from our makeup, to our dresses, shoes and accessories. She is a fashion designer afterall, so this may imply that her daughter, my bestfriend, is the school’s fashion icon.

 

“Hurry! It’s already 6 o’clock! My prince is waiting!” Sooyoung jumped up and down as she skipped to the car.

 

Ow, I forgot. My friends? They do have their own boyfriends.

 

Tiffany’s boyfriend is Eunhyuk. He is a sunbae and the president of our school’s drama club. He is handsome, and like how Tiffany describes him, he is a real-life prince.

 

Sooyoung’s is Siwon Choi. It’s too ironic that they have the same surnames yet they are not related. Siwon-oppa… well… he is smart. And handsome. And tall. I sometimes envy my friends for having almost perfect boyfriends. Me? I am pathetically waiting for my prince to come and notice me. I have long wanted to have a date. I desperately wanted to have a boyfriend. But what can I do? Kyuhyun won’t even see me as a girl. Cruel world.

 

When we arrived at the school grounds where the prom was held, I instantly saw Yuri standing beside Nickhun, that popular exchange student from Thailand. Well, she wasn’t just STANDING beside him. She was FLIRTING with him. She dumped Kyuhyun the other day and here she is, flirting with another guy. This is what beauty and popularity does.

 

We sat down on the table where our other friends Jessica, her boyfriend Yesung-oppa and Sungmin-oppa with his girlfriend Sunny. Siwon and Eunhyuk later on joined us. And as usual, I was left out. I don’t have a partner.

 

“Excuse me. I’ll just go and walk around.” I stood up and left those sets of lovebirds at the table.

 

Everyone seemed to be enjoying the party. Everyone, except me. Maybe I wasn’t enjoying because HE wasn’t here. Well, not that I would be happy if he attended because I know the girls will flock around him but still, I would love to see him in a suit at our prom.

 

Then some commotion occurred at the entrance. I wanted to come and take a look but my foot already had painful blisters because of high heels, so I remained sitting on the seat near the fountain that was set up for the event.

 

I heard girls giggling and shrieking. At first I wished Kyuhyun arrived but that thought vanished for I realized he can’t be here.

 

The giggles became louder and next thing I knew, I saw Kyuhyun walking over to my spot. He’s wearing a black suit, with matching black bowtie I recognized as the one I gave him last Christmas. His hair was a mess, but he still looked very handsome as he smiled. For a second I thought he was smiling with somebody else, so I looked around me, behind me, to see if he was smiling like that for someone in particular.

 

But I found no one else but me.

 

He stepped closer, and closer.

 

Until someone grabbed his arm.

 

It was Yuri.

 

Kyuhyun stopped and looked at her. Seeing his expression softened, I knew he was glad his EX was talking to him. Really, Yuri looked so stunning while I looked so plain and ordinary. It was quite impossible that he was looking at me a while ago. I must be seeing things.

 

I smoothly disappeared into the crowd. Just as I got there silently, I was certain that nobody noticed my absence.

 

I walked to the school garden behind the Seniors’ building. I could still hear the faint music coming from the school grounds. I sat by the grass and took my shoes off. My blisters were getting more painful and taking off the shoes made it feel a lot better. Why were high heeled shoes invented anyway?

 

“Can’t you see that I’m the one who understands you

Been here all along so why can’t you see…

You belong with me…”

 

The song hit me so hard on the head.

 

I’ve been helplessly in love with a guy who can’t even love me back.

I’ve been madly in love with a guy who’s almost perfect it’s so impossible to win his heart.

 

I just wish I was somebody else.

 

A different Yoona.

 

A Yoona who doesn’t look plain and ordinary.

A Yoona that Kyuhyun would take interest at.

 

A Yoona perfect for Cho Kyuhyun.

 

“Standing by and waiting at you backdoor.

All this time how could you not know maybe…

Kyu belongs with me…”

 

“Kyu belong to you?”

 

I nearly jumped to my feet as I heard that familiar voice. I looked back and I was right. Mr. Cho Kyuhyun, the perfect Cho Kyuhyun was standing just some feet away from me, his smile still visible despite the faint light.

 

“Did I hear it right? Kyu belongs to you? I belong to you?” he asked, his expression soft.

 

“I…I… I was just… you… you heard it wrong…I mean…that’s not what I said… you…must… You just misheard it.” I hopelessly stammered. It was obvious that I was lying. I .

 

From the darkness I could see Kyuhyun's expression turn from soft to blank. He just stood there, looking at me straight in the eyes.

 

“Really?”

 

“Really.”

 

He stepped closer. And closer. And closer. He walked to my direction slowly until it was barely a foot between us.

 

He bent down and had his face just inches away from mine.

 

“Really?” he asked again, his face still blank. And scary.

 

“Rea---really.” I looked away and stepped back. it was so unusual having Kyuhyun this close to me, not to mention he is looking at me like this. It felt like I wanted to float and at the same time runaway. Runaway because he is making me fall for him harder and make my heart ache more.

 

“Well, it’s a disappointment then. I thought it was an indirect proposal.” He shrugged.

 

“What?”

 

“I thought you’d confess first. But it seems that you can’t do it yourself so I think I’ll end up doing it myself anyway.” He smirked. Oh, I hate that face. Evillish, yet still so handsome.

 

“What?”

 

He walked again to my direction and this time, he held my shoulders so I can’t step back. he was so close I could smell his breath.

 

“Im Yoona.”

 

I looked at him in the eyes with my mind still on nowhere. I don’t know what to do, or how would I react with what he is doing. Honestly, I have long dreamed of having Kyuhyun this close to me, having him look at me like I’m the only one around, look at me like he loves me.

 

“You are boyish. You ride your bike and speed it up like there’s no tomorrow. Do you know how worried I am when I see you drive like that?

 

“You are so insensitive. You always look good on those gym shorts that all those guys you pass by look at your legs but you never give a damn. Do you know how I wanted to punch each one of them when they do that?

 

“You are so careless. And clumsy. And selfish. But I don’t know why I woke up one morning wanting to see you badly, wanting to see what else have you got to amuse me. I just woke up, and I’m in love. I’m in love with you Im Yoona.”

 

The soft brown orbs in Kyuhyun's eyes, those beautiful orbs that made me fall for him in the first place. Those little things tell me that the man owning them is telling me something I’ve never even dreamed of because it was far too impossible.

 

I pushed him, quite forcefully he was outbalanced and fell on the ground on his . My mind was swimming. I don’t know how to react.

 

“You sure are strong Yoong.” He chuckled as he stood up. But his expression turned into a worried one as he walked to me and held my face.

 

“Yah! Were you hurt? Where? What happened? Why are you crying?” he asked. He wiped away those warm tears flowing down my face. It was then that I realized that I was crying.

 

“Why? What did I do?” he asked, his brows furrowing.

 

My silent sobs became louder. Then it came to the point when I could hear myself howling like a little girl in front of the ice cream vendor who won’t give her ice cream.

 

I looked like a complete idiot in front of the guy I like.

 

No. delete LIKE.

 

I looked like a complete idiot in front of the guy I LOVE.

 

“Yah! Yoona-ssi!” Kyuhyun spoke again, softly.

 

I looked up and stared at his face. He looked puzzled, and funny. But I can’t laugh as of the moment. My mind was still swimming.

 

He said he loves me.

 

I’m dreaming, aren’t I?

 

“Can…you… pinch me?” I asked.

 

Kyuhyun must have thought of what I really wanted to happen. So with his hands he pinched my cheek quite hard than necessary.

 

“YAH!!!” I screamed, and he could only chuckle.

 

“You’re not dreaming, babo.” He laughed.

 

“I just thought that maybe… I’m asleep… or something…I have to… I have to wake up.”

 

The tears came again.

 

I hate being a crybaby.

 

Then I felt my face being lifted.

 

And his soft lips landed on mine.

 

My heart felt like it would explode.

 

My knees felt weak.

 

When there became a space between our lips, I saw him smile.

 

He looked so handsome. And perfect.

 

“If you’re dreaming, then maybe I am too. Then, I won’t even dare wake up. ‘Cause I like it here. In a dream where you’re in my arms.”

 

I could smell his breath on my face.

 

I could feel the warmth of his hands against mine.

 

I could feel his heartbeat.

 

I’m not dreaming.

 

-----------

Ah! I at this. Mianhae T________T