Possibility of Love

Solem et Lunam

 

It has been days since Kim Yongsun had been introduced to this dating site. Hyejin, who made her account, without her consent, excitedly showed Yongsun her laptop screen. Puzzled and lost, she looked at the figures shown at the screen, indicating the 'hearts' she got from different people in different places. Yongsun was more than surprised seeing her name, face, and basic information on that kind of site though. She almost tackled Hyejin down for doing such thing, but the younger only explained herself out of Yongsun's grip.

 

"I just want to help! You've been really down lately and sometimes I could not attend to you. So, I thought, why not find my lovely unnie someone to talk to? Then, tada! I just made this last night but look who's popular?"

 

Yongsun was blushing. She just realized what those hearts meant. And for days now, she had been secretly checking on it too. She kept it a secret from Hyejin because she knew the girl would about it and go on praising herself like "I knew it. I did great", "You act like you hate the idea but you actually liked it", and "You're welcome, unnie. I know I'm awesome". And nope, she did not want to admit that.

 

It was that time of the night again when she felt so bored that she just kicked herself out of her bed to grab her laptop and open that dating site. The number have grown a lot since then, but only a few had the guts to actually approach and message her first. Some of them have stayed, some just disappeard. There were some nice people here and there, but Yongsun also encountered disgusting and annoying people, and those, she surely blocked.

 

A few people she enjoyed talking were mostly girls. Yongsun found it weird at first that there would be quite a number of females who have given her hearts. But now she was only thankful that some of these girls are really nice company.

 

"I wonder if Irene is online..." she mumbled while clicking on this girl, Irene's, profile. She is one of the girls whome she have gotten close to. They have never actually met, most probably because Irene lives and works in New York. Not seeing the green circle on the bottom-right of her icon made Yongsun remember that fact, and sigh. "She's probably at work now."

 

Yongsun have never actually considered giving 'hearts' to the people she sees in the dating site. She did not want to give people the wrong impression that she wanted to hook up or find a love life. And, doing so, might actually be noticed by Hyejin. That would also mean she'd get teased nonstop. Casually scrolling through different faces and profiles of random strangers was enough to entertain her at that time. She was also kinda getting sleepy, which made it even better.

 

The browser was about to be closed by Yongsun when a small notification dinged and a small number appeared by her inbox's. Someone messaged her. Her sleepiness was chased away and now she was fully awake... and nervous. It was always like that though. Everytime someone message her, she'd take a minute or more before opening it. She doesn't know why. It could be because she was afraid it might contain something ographic, or it might be from someone she personally knows. It just happen.

 

When Yongsun finally clicked on her inbox, she saw the stranger's message. And instead of seeing her name by her icon, she saw two stars.

 

 

⭐️⭐️ sent you a photo. Click to view the message.

 

 

Weird. It was Yongsun's first time to encounter someone opening up a message with a sticker. Now curious, she clicked on the message. She almost chuckled at what she saw.

 

 

⭐️⭐️
@TheMoon

    

 

 

 

Interesting. Yongsun found it a little cute. Unlike others who straight up send vulgar things to her. It made her uncomfortable. But this one, it's different.

 

She typed in her reply and pressed on 'enter' almost immediately.

 

 

Solar
@kimyongsun

Well, hello to you too.

 

⭐️⭐️
@TheMoon

 

 

Yongsun was at lost for words at that moment. This stranger, with a weird display name, just sent her another sticker. A blushing one. A chuckle, now more evident, escaped her lips.

 

"What a cutie"

 

 

Solar
@kimyongsun

Are you okay right there?

⭐️⭐️
@TheMoon

Not really. I think I'm dead.

Solar
@kimyongsun

Oh look! You speak.
But what do you mean?

⭐️⭐️
@TheMoon

I don't know... is this the registration to heaven? I didn't know angels handle these kind of things.

 

 

And Yongsun was mum once again. She was cringing, but also actually blushing at the same time. This stranger she was talking to is something. It amuses her how those words come out from the stranger almost effortlessly. And how it made her feel things.

 

 

⭐️⭐️
@TheMoon

Sorry about that. Am I weirding you out?
It's just that you're really pretty.
I don't know why such angel is in this kind of place.
Men and women would surely line up just to get a holy look at you.

Solar
@kimyongsun

No. Not really.
I'm just... not used to it.
Um... I guess I should introduce myself? I'm Yongsun. But my international friends call me Solar.

⭐️⭐️
@TheMoon

You better get usedd to it now if you plan to continue talking to me after this haha
Moon Byulyi, by the way. It's great to meet another Korean here :)

 

 

Yongsun halted. This stranger, Moon Byulyi’s, display name and username made sense. But, it just dawned to her that she was talking to a woman. Another woman she felt comfortable with. So, they went on for hours. They did not notice the time as they went on from one random topic to another. It just went on. The flow was nice, and once in a while, Yongsun’s room would be filled by her laugh.

 

It was already almost midnight and both women have already gotten to know a lot about each other. Byulyi found out that Yongsun is a stewardess. Byulyi, on the other hand, revealed that she is a police officer. It was an information that surprisingly sent butterflies to Yongsun’s stomach. Without exactly knowing Byulyi’s face, she did imagine the girl would look great on her uniform. Not to mention the fact that she has a soft heart for police officers because her father was once a police. Byulyi’s occupation left Yongsun more attracted to the girl.

 

Both women have gotten so much closer in just a few months. They have also seen each other’s faces through photos they have sent to one another. Although sometimes their schedule didn’t match, when it does, they would not stop talking until one falls asleep. Usually, it would be Byulyi, tired from her shifts and field works. Yongsun understood though. She knew how tiring it is to be a police officer.

 

That one night, Byulyi fell asleep again. Yongsun had this small smile on her lips despite being left hanging once again. She heaved a sigh and wished Byulyi a good night. She closed her laptop and laid comfortably on her bed, hugging a pillow. Her mind wandered to Byulyi. The girl had been occupying her mind lately. Sometimes, she wonders how the younger one is doing. If she was safe. If she ate. How was the case she was handling. Yongsun even felt like she was a girlfriend for even being this concerned to someone she met online. But for Yongsun, Byulyi isn’t just someone anymore. Over the months they have spent together, chatting and calling, she knew she have grown fond of the other woman. She had a crush on her. She likes her. And she thinks she’s falling for her. It scared Yongsun, of course. She does not personally know Byulyi. They never actually met. But she just could not help it. Her heart was beating for the police officer.

 

Another sigh was released. Her position shifted and she was then facing the ceiling. Somehow, sleep doesn’t want to visit her yet. So, after a few minutes of jut staring into nothingness, she decided to open her laptop and message Byulyi again. She didn’t care if the other was awake or not. She just wanted to let something out.

 

 

Solar
@kimyongsun

Hi. I know you must be sleeping already. I just wanted to tell you something though.

It has been bothering me for quite some time now. And it concerns you so...

Hi.

 

 

Yongsun swore. How could she chicken out like this? She slapped a hand on her face when she reread what she just sent to Byulyi. She was embarrassed of herself. The thought of confessing to the officer made her feel things though. She wanted to do it. Whatever happens, she just wanted to let her feelings out. Probably because she was also lowkey curious of the other’s feelings.

 

Soon after a few words of encouragement from her own self, she took a deep breath, collected herself, and proceeded to pour her feelings out on typing.

 

•••

 

10 pm.

 

Byulyi was grateful that she didn’t have to stay for the night at the station. A friend of hers assured the woman that there was nothing to do so there was also no need for too many officers present for the night. Byulyi have had too many sleepless nights to reject the offer. As soon as she got home, even with the little energy she had left, she decided to check on the dating site for new messages. There were tons. But mostly were ignored and she only looked for one specific name in her inbox; Solar.

 

Byulyi plopped on her couch with the phone on her hand. Her eyes were half closed and she knew she was close to shutting down, but as soon as her finger tapped on Yongsun’s message, and actually read the message, her eyes flew open. The words ‘ tired’and ‘sleepy’ were non-existent. She read the message again and again and again. And no, she was not dreaming. 

 

 

Solar
@kimyongsun

Hi. I know you must be sleeping already. I just wanted to tell you something though.
It has been bothering me for quite some time now. And it concerns you so...
Hi

Solar
@kimyongsun

But no, really. I’m just so nervouse. And this is kinda embarrassing to admit since we’ve never really met each other before.
I just can’t help it.
I like you, Moonbyul.
Actually, I don’t know if it’s like... or love... or just an infatuation.
But whatever
You’re really important to me.
AND NO, NOT AS A FRIEND
It’s weird, I know. But please, just ignore this if you don’t feel the same.
Um... I just wanted to let that out. It’s not that I want something to happen...
i’m talking nonsense now. i should go-
BYE FOR NOW 😳

 

 

Byulyi was more than speechless. Never did she imagine the Kim Yongsun confess to her. She was never expecting it! And there she thought she was the only one. She thought she would get to tell Yongsun about her feelings first. She thought she was the weird one.

 

She was wrong.

 

They like each other.

 

And when you like someone, you would tend to do some crazy things.

 

She just got an idea.

 

She left Yongsun’s message on seen. Yet she texted her station that she won’t be coming to work the next day. She told her chief that she had an important matter to attend to. Byulyi also thanked that Yongsun somehow mentioned to Byulyi about her schedule at the airport.

 

•••

 

Yongsun was sleepless and dead tired. It seemed like a bucket of pure exhaustion was dumped onto her when she was walking her way out of the airport with her luggage. She could not wait to jump on her bed to sleep. Or not.

 

She remembered the quiet chat box she had with Byulyi. Then the confession. When Byulyi did not send back a message, she knew she was screwed. She would not even deny if someone ask her if she was hurt. She was overthinking. And most of all, she missed the officer.

 

Yongsun heaved a sigh. She was standing by a post, hugging herself, while waiting for a taxi to pick her up. She was too busy keeping her self warm that she did not notice another woman standing by the post next to her with a smile on her face.

 

It was Moon Byulyi.

 

Byulyi walked towards her. A small chuckle bubbled from her lips when she found out that Yongsun have not noticed her yet. When she stopped by Yongsun’s side, she cleared .

 

”We can get some coffee if you’re feeling cold.”

 

Yongsun whipped her head to the direction of the voice, her eyes just... widened. Yongsun felt like everything was out of her. She could not find her voice to react.

 

Moon Byulyi was in front of her.

 

 


Possibility of Love
"Yes, I think it is entirely possible to fall in love with someone you've never met. Physicality is an expression of intimacy––not an indication of it"

- Lang Leav