Recognition

Solem et Lunam

Your high-pitched laughter echoed in this large, boring, expanse. Somehow, it caught my attention. Being the only one unfamiliar of this new surrounding, the only newcomer, your laughter was the most welcoming thing I have ever encountered yet.

 

Interesting.

 

I found myself entranced. You were just there, chatting with your friends, but it was enough to take my breath away. Beautiful. You’re such a beautiful woman. The way your eyes curved when you smile wider, I wonder if you can still see through those slits. Oh, and how your extraordinary dimples appear near the corners of your lips. I wanna touch them. And suddenly, I want to be one of the reasons why they appear. 

 

Girl, you got me good. 

 

It was break time when I got the guts to, at least, try to be a little close to you. I’ve been walking back and forth at the back of the room, trying to think of what I should say as a greeting but my mind was blank. You were fixing your things, then I saw you head out of the room after, with your friends who were waiting for you by the door. Panic swept through me. And then as if my feet has its own life, I ran out. I just did. Now or never. I thought I wouldn’t have the strength to talk to you again if I let you walk even just a few feet away from me. 

 

Then the unexpected happened. At least for me. I was supposed to see you walking to the cafeteria. But you were there, right in front of me, with those wide eyes. Surprised, like mine. I froze. Damn, I almost bumped onto her. Oh , we’re too close, I can smell her. Was that vanilla? 

 

Haywire. I stood there like my whole system shut down. What to do?

 

”Hello?” I heard her say. Her face showed that of confusion but amusement. 

 

I tried to form words. But I just ended up opening my mouth, then closing it. Yeah, I looked like a suffocating fish. 

 

Then she laughed. 

 

I swear I almost melted! Oh, her voice. So lovely. I wonder if she sings too. 

 

I realized that I made her laugh. My heart hurt. I was so happy. Yes, I think I did make a fool out of myself, but it made her laugh! It was amazing. I felt like flying. 

 

“Are you okay? Do you need anything?” She spoke again. She was looking directly at me, and damn, I wish I looked good. 

 

I swallowed the lump formed on my throat and spoke with what’s left of me. “Y-yes. I was just... surprised. I thought you already left with your friends.”

 

Was that even the right thing to say? I mean, I spoke to her like we’ve known each other. 

 

A light chuckle slipped past her glossed lips, along with her head shaking. “No. I thought I wasn’t that hungry so I decided to stay here.”

 

She was staying. I thought my heart did a flip.

 

“How about you? You’re a transferee, aren’t you?” She then added.

 

I nodded almost immediately and smiled my best smile at her. I bet my nose muscles worked even harder. And I bet it really did because the angel in front of me smiled as well. “My name is Moon Byulyi. It is a pleasure meeting you...”

 

I looked at her and waited for her response. She held out her hand for a handshake and said, “Kim Yongsun.”

 

Ahh. The sun of my life. Such a beautiful name for a beautiful person. I shook her hand and I had another unforgettable experience.

 

Her hand... it was the softest hand I have ever held.

 

Then again, like my consciousness was pushed out of my body by some unknown force, I said something I didn’t intend to blurt out.

 

“I’ve never met you before, but I recognize this feeling.”

 

I blinked. She did, too. Confusion. I thought she was weirded out by me already. But she smiled. Why did she smile? I don’t know. What she said next, that was where it all started. 

 

“Say, how about we get back into our room and spend time together while we wait for our next class? I would like to get to know you more, Byulyi. You seem like a very interesting person.”

 


Recognition
"I've never met you before, but I recognize this feeling."
- Lang Leav