One Thing

Solem et Lunam

The sky. It was calm and peaceful. Unlike a certain girl’s mind which was occupied by so many things. Sad things.

 

Most people look at the sky because they’re happy and are at ease. They look up to admire the calming hue of the blue sky, and that makes them happier. But then again, this girl, Kim Yongsun, looks up the sky to wish. To pray.

 

Yongsun was back on her usual place at the garden. She was sitting on the bench under a shed to protect her from the sunlight. Everyday, in the morning, she spends more or less than half an hour sitting on the bench, just looking at the surrounding and the sky. The other frequents of the garden have become her friends and sometimes, they accompany her. Yongsun doesn’t mind at all. In fact, she misses some good company. She loves the people who talks to her whenever she stays at the garden, but she misses another person who could not be there with her. She misses her presence. Her voice. Her warmth. But she couldn’t be there.

 

Every time she was at the garden, she would imagine what it would be like if she was there with whom she loves. She imagined themselves having fun, talking, even bickering over the smallest things like how one sees a ladybug prettier than a butterfly. She smiles at the thought. It warms her heart. But the smile quickly fades when she looks up at the sky and remember that... no. It can’t be possible just yet. It won’t happen just yet. And then again, she would pray.

 

Yongsun glanced down at her wristwatch and checked the time. She heaved a deep sigh and stood up from the bench, and straightened her floral dress that her significant other loves. She took the paper bag that was seated beside her and entered the white hallway that connected the exit to the garden to the main building of what seems to be a hospital. Yongsun followed the path to the elevator and stepped in once the door slid open. She pressed on the fifth floor and waited. It only took a few seconds before the metal doors slid open once again, and she continued her way to the room she have visited more than she have ever visited a friend’s house.

 

Her hand rested on the cold knob for a few seconds, like always. Before turning them, she took a deep breath and readied herself. Hoping once again. When she pushed the door open, she peeked in and smiled. There, on the bed, lies her other half; Moon Byulyi. She entered the room and closed the door behind her gently. Yongsun quietly walked towards the bed and placed the paper bag down on the table beside the patient’s bed. Then she looked at Byulyi. Her heart ached. She missed the girl so much.

 

Byulyi was diagnosed with a chronic kidney disease. Other than having no cure, Byulyi’s case have reached the end stage of the disease. Only 15% of her kidney was functioning. Upon finding about her condition, they decided to keep her at the hospital for her to be attended with proper care. Also, they were hoping, waiting, for a kidney donor for the betterment of Byulyi’s condition. It would save her life. 

 

Yongsun swore she would give everything to Byulyi when the doctor told them she either need to do dialysis or undergo a kidney transplant. Unfortunately for them, Yongsun did not match what Byulyi needed. That almost broke Yongsun’s world. But Byulyi, the one who was most likely to feel hopeless, assured Yongsun that everything will be alright. She gave Yongsun strength, and so did the other to Byulyi.

 

Byulyi’s eyes fluttered open and she was greeted by Yongsun’s glassy eyes. She was tearing again. 

 

“Hey...” Byulyi’s weak and hoarse voice filled the room.

 

Yongsun looked away and wiped her tears. When she looked back at Byulyi, she flashed a wide smile to hide her pain. Then she said, ”I’m sorry, did I wake you up?” 

 

Byulyi chuckled softly and shook her head. She reached out for Yongsun’s cold hand and held on it with the strength she had left. It was enough to calm the older woman. “No, silly. I was awake before you came. I missed you~”

 

If only Byulyi was as strong as she was before, she would definitely earn a slap from Yongsun. “You last saw me before you sleep, you fart.”

 

”I still missed you though.”

 

Yongsun smiled. She misses Byulyi more.

 

Just like any other day, they spent their time talking and accompanying each other. This helped Byulyi to divert her attention away from the pain she was feeling. Spending the day together made them forget of the problem they were facing. With each other’s presence, they gather strength to carry on, to smile, to still be happy.

 

For the meantime, that’s what matters the most.

 


One Thing
"She looked up at the sky and whispered, take anything away from me, take it all if you want to; but please—please just let me keep this one thing."

- Lang Leav