Distance

Solem et Lunam

5,965 miles from Seoul.
17 hours difference. 

 

It has been three months already and I’m missing her everyday. Damn work. I mean, why does it have to be thousands of miles away from home? I feel like dying. Waking up everyday without her by my side is… suffocating. Every morning, I open my eyes and dread to see that empty space beside me. The space we usually take up when we cuddle, and share each other’s warmth.

 

It’s just one of those days again. Lying down. Lazy. As if Kim Yongsun have taken my mind and soul with her to California for another business trip. That silly girl… I miss her so much. It has been three days since she last contacted me and I thirst! I miss her voice, her cute little squeals, her high-pitched laughter, her pudgy cheeks I want to bite. Her everything.

 

I groaned. Damn.

 

As if on cue, though, my phone went off. I almost fell off my bed as I scurry my way to my bedside table. I imagined myself looking like a famished wolf who have laid her eyes on a meaty treat, which, in my case, is my girlfriend's name on my phone.

 

I giggled. Like a teenage girl who just received a small gift from her biggest crush. Oh yes, I'm whipped.

 

In a blink of an eye, I accepted the video call, and what greeted me... wow. I almost choked on my own tears because of immense happiness.

 

"What is this- yah. Are you crying?" she said, almost laughing as soon as she saw me. Instead of getting annoyed, I just missed her more.

 

"I miss you~" I whined like a child. I long for her so much. I know she does, too. I can see it in her eyes as it softens when she heard what I said.

 

Yongsun was on her bed too. Her face was free of makeup yet she still looks dashing as ever. The woman I love. She's still breathtaking even with that evident exhaustion on her face. I wish I can hug her to sleep or at least lessen that look on her beautiful face.

 

"I miss you too, my love. Just a little bit more. I'll run into your arms soon."

 

With that said, my face was decorated with a wide smile. We went on talking since then. She told me about how the business was going in California. She ranted about some annoying waiter she encountered when she ate out with her workmates. And I also told her about how my life went, from waking up, to going to school to have my lessons with the toddlers, and going back home to rest.

 

We were miles apart, but it felt like her presence was beside me. I still longed for her touch and warmth, but seeing her sound and well, and being able to talk to her like we have all the time in the world was what mattered to me the most. 

 

We were miles apart, but we remain in each other's heart.

 


Distance
"It was all I wanted for the longest time—to open my eyes and see you there. To stretch out my hand and touch the soft, yielding warmth of your skin. But now I have learned the secret of distance. Now I know being close to you was never about the proximity."
- Lang Leav