"You only love... My one and only love... Which I can't give up."

Congratulations

Woohyun couldn’t help the shaking of his leg. He was uncomfortable and nervous, but he was the one who asked for this meeting. He insisted on being here when they discussed what needed to be done with the baby.

He had always pictured the other woman as some snobby and somewhat proud woman who would do everything in the book to sink her sharp claws into his husband. He was so ready to fight her tooth and nail if she tried anything.

But, Park Eunseo was anything but all of those. For one, she was young, probably fresh out of college. She was pretty but in a simple and natural kind of way; he couldn’t see why anyone would not be attracted to her. She was gracious and polite, even if she was nervous at Woohyun’s presence in her home. She even offered them seats on the comfortable couch and made them tea.

She didn’t have that snobby air but he could see that she held herself with a confident pride, which she needed to survive in a setting like Sunggyu’s company.

In short, Park Eunsoo was not the woman he thought she was. And that made it difficult to hate her.

He had seen the way she looked at his husband. He had watched the hope die in her eyes when Woohyun appeared in front of her, introducing himself as Sunggyu’s husband in the clearest and most possessive tone he could muster. He almost felt sorry for her.

Eunseo placed the mugs tea on the coffee table in front of them before settling on a chair across from the two of them, and they thanked her for the hospitality. The couch they were offered was small, but it fit them just fine. In fact, the whole apartment was small, barely half the size of Woohyun and Sunggyu’s condo. One bedroom, one bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room. It was a modest home for a single woman.

Woohyun’s throat suddenly felt dry and he took the opportunity to have a drink of the tea, forgetting to cool it down. He flinched at the sudden burn. Beside him, Sunggyu chuckled.

“Careful, yeobo,” he stated, wiping at the drop of tea on the younger’s lips.

Woohyun smiled, gratefully before turning his attention to the woman in front of him. She was watching them and he suddenly felt self-conscious. He cleared his throat.

“T-Thank you for having us,” he began. “We… want to discuss the… baby.”

He saw her tiny body tense as she nodded. “I… I’m sorry,” she whispered.

But, Woohyun didn’t want to discuss that right now. He wasn’t even sure if he could accept her apology. Not right now.

He cleared his throat again. “Sunggyu and I discussed it,” he said, pretending she didn’t say anything. “Since the baby is his, it’s only right that he and I both take responsibility, since I am his husband. So, while you go through your pregnancy, we will take care of your needs.”

Her eyes widened at the unexpected proposal. “E-Excuse me?” she said in disbelief.

Subconsciously, Woohyun took Sunggyu’s hand as his own was shaking. Sunggyu got the message and took over.

“You’re carrying my child too, Eunseo-shii,” he said. “So, we want to be sure it will be born safe and healthy. So, if you are up for it and we really would like you to say ‘yes’, we would like to transfer you to an OB/GYN of our choosing, someone who has connections to the Kim family. I am still your boss so we don’t want this matter to turn into a scandal, it would be bad for the image of the company as well as the family. So, as much as possible, we would like to keep this matter private, at least until the baby is born and then we’ll figure things out from there.”

He turned to Woohyun, who nodded.

“In terms of finances, we’ll take care of that as well,” continued the younger. “We’ll take care of the groceries, any vitamins and supplements you need, checkups, things for the baby.” He swallowed, the next part making him feel just a little nauseous but he was the one who decided on it, even insisted on it. “Sunggyu will accompany you to every doctor’s appointment, as he is the father. Anything you need, you can run it by him.”

By now, Eunseo just continued to sit there in silent shock at everything they just told her. Moreover, she was staring at Woohyun like he had grown seven heads.

He supposed that it wasn’t every day that the spouse of someone you had an affair with would offer to take over the care of an illegitimate child. She was probably the type who watched those makjang dramas where the legal wife spends several episodes slapping the mistress and pulling her hair out.

 “I… um… you don’t have to do all this,” Eunseo finally said in a soft voice.

“You’re right, I don’t,” Woohyun snapped before he could stop himself. Sunggyu’s hand squeezed his but he could no longer hold back his thoughts. “But, it’s already happened. There’s nothing we can do.” His eyes flashed to her stomach. She wasn’t showing yet, but he knew what lies in there. “Despite your mistake and my husband’s, that baby… it’s innocent. It didn’t ask to be conceived. It would be wrong to punish it for your wrongs.” He looked her in the eye and was satisfied to see guilt reflected there. “We won’t take the baby away from you, it’s your child too. But, we hope you allow Sunggyu to be a father.”

Eunseo swallowed as her hand flew protectively to her stomach. “Of… of course.” She nodded. “I… I would never deprive Sajangnim of his baby… if he wants it… I… I’m sorry, I’m a bit flustered… This is really… unexpected.”

“We’ll provide protection for you and the baby if needed,” said Sunggyu. “Both of our families have already been informed and they’ve agreed with our decision…”

That was a bit of an understatement. When they finally told Sunggyu’s parents everything, Mrs. Kim was furious and spent a good twenty minutes yelling at her son about how irresponsible he was, did he not think of Myungsoo, and how dare he betray his precious husband whom they all loved dearly? Then she threw a cushion at him and ordered him to take responsibility and fix it. It wasn’t pretty nor was the disappointed look Mr. Kim had thrown his only son’s way as his wife ranted.

Sunggyu’s mother still refused to speak to Sunggyu, but she often texted Woohyun to make small talk. The younger found it sweet how she was trying to her best to make him feel better, as if making up for her son’s transgressions.

“… and if you need me to help you tell your family, I will.”

At that, Eunseo looked alarmed, her eyes widening as she shook her head “no”.

“N-no, it’s fine. I… I’ll take care of it,” she said, firmly. “Really. Don’t worry about my family.”

Well, they weren’t going to insist if she didn’t want to. It seemed irresponsible to Woohyun, but it was her decision.

They continued to discuss the situation more, how they would work around each other’s schedules, that they were looking into hiring a maid to help her in the next few months, and that they hoped she considered their pediatrician friend Dongwoo who was their son’s primary care physician to be the baby’s as well, and so on and so forth.

It was a swirl of information that it even made Woohyun dizzy. He noticed how Eunseo continued to look stunned, barely saying a word at their proposal.

By the time their talk was over, the teas they barely touched were cold and Woohyun was feeling exhausted from the sudden weight of the realization that… this was really happening.

His husband was having a baby with someone else... and he could only watch and support him from the sidelines.

“Thank you for your time, Eunseo-shii,” Sunggyu said as she walked them to the door.

She smiled, slightly. “Thank you… for all of this,” she said. “I… I don’t think I can do this alone… So… thank you.” She turned to Woohyun and bowed deep. “Thank you. Thank you so much. And… I’m sorry.”

He felt a sudden lump in his throat so he kept his mouth shut, not wanting to regret whatever could come out of it. He simply nodded and walked out the door, not even bothering to see if Sunggyu was following.

The agitation he had been feeling all afternoon had somehow multiplied throughout the talk.

He stopped halfway to the elevator and leaned against a wall, breathing deeply.

“Woohyun?”

He looked up to see Sunggyu walking towards him with a concerned look.

“Are you okay, yeobo?” he asked, placing two hands on either of his cheeks. “You’re warm. Are you feeling sick?”

Woohyun shook his head. “No, I’m fine. It’s just… that was a bit… intense.” He shook his head again. “Don’t mind me. The whole thing was just a little… exhausting.”

Sunggyu frowned before sighing and pressing his lips against Woohyun’s forehead. “I’m sorry,” he whispered. “For putting you in this position, you shouldn’t have to suffer for my mistakes.”

“Hey, I told you, I’m fine.” Woohyun smiled at him. “We’re doing this together. Partners, remember?”

His husband just sighed again, bringing him into the comfort of his arms. “I don’t deserve you.”

The chef chuckled. “No, you don’t,” he teased.

Sunggyu pulled back with a grin. “Why don’t we go on a date today? Just you and I? I’ll call my parents and ask if Myungsoo can stay the rest of the day with them and we can pick him up tonight. I'm sure they won't mind. What do you say? Dinner and a movie?”

Woohyun laughed. “What are we, in high school? Just dinner and a movie?”

“How about dinner, movie, and dessert?” He winked, flirtatiously.

Woohyun slapped his arm. “ert!”

“What do you mean, ert? I really mean dessert! At that fancy place you like with the French pastries!” He placed two hands on the younger’s face and squished his cheeks, teasingly. “Get your head out of the gutter, yeobo.”

Woohyun childishly stuck his tongue out. “Alright, fine. Dinner, movie, and dessert.”

Hand-in-hand, they walked to the elevator, Woohyun swinging their entwined hands. He felt like pretending they were a young couple on their honeymoon stage for the day.

He was going to remind himself why Sunggyu was his and he was Sunggyu’s. No matter the circumstance they are facing now, they will always have each other.

 


 

One of the hardest things they had to do now, in Woohyun’s opinion, was to tell Myungsoo.

How do you tell a six-year-old that he was getting a younger sibling because his father cheated and got another woman, someone who was not his father’s spouse, pregnant?

Woohyun didn’t think that reading parenting article after article in both Korean and English in between his shifts at work could fully prepare him for what was coming.

For one, there was no article specifically catered for parents who had to tell their young child that they were having a sibling because of an infidelity. Everything he could find was some mix between “How to heal when you find out about an affair child” and “How to tell your children about your affair.”

He got so frustrated that he visited Dongwoo at his clinic one day and let out all his frustrations. The pediatrician was sympathetic.

“But, I’m not a child psychologist, Hyun,” he kindly told the other.

Woohyun let out a groan. “I know but what are we supposed to do? Sunggyu and I want to tell Myungsoo but we don’t even know where to start!” He sighed. “What if… we just keep this from him? Maybe he doesn’t even need to know.”

What you don’t know can’t hurt you, right? And Myungsoo was only six. He shouldn’t be shouldering something like this at such an age.

“You could,” the doctor agreed. “But… when he grows up and somehow find out, don’t you think he’d be hurt? And possibly angry?”

Well, Woohyun didn’t think of that.

Dongwoo continued, “Why don’t you just… tell him like it’s something normal? Kids react in two different ways when they find out they’re having a sibling. One, they’re either thrilled. Or two, they hate the idea. It’s either one or the other. But, the important thing is, they know that a sibling exists. The idea will be constant and normal in their heads as they grow up. So… even if Myungsoo does find out the truth eventually when he’s older, at least he wasn’t completely in the dark about it. Keeping the entire truth from him would hurt more, right?”

The doctor looked quite pleased with himself as he finished giving his explanation. Woohyun stared at him with a raised brow and amused smile. 

Dongwoo's profession was actually perfect for him. He was normally quite childish and absentminded that Woohyun often wondered how he managed to get through med school. But, whenever it came to his patients, he was serious and the children loved him because he could think on the same level as them. And he had moments like these when he could just ease someone's worries.

“You sure you’re not a child psychologist?” Woohyun teased.

Dongwoo laughed, good-naturedly. “Nah, I just watch a lot of makjang dramas. That’s what happens when you grow up with two older sisters who make it their life goal to torture their maknae with dramatic storylines. Joke’s on them, I enjoyed them!”

Woohyun laughed, his heart feeling light for the first time in days.

“Yeah, what you said makes sense.” He sighed. “So… we just tell him like normal. Got it.”

“Hey.” Dongwoo stretched an arm across his office desk to pat his shoulder. “It will be okay. Myungsoo takes after you in more than just your looks, you know.”

Woohyun smiled at the compliment. “Thank you. I just… hope he takes it well.”

 


 

Woohyun and Sunggyu waited a few more days after before taking Myungsoo out one Saturday. The little boy was delighted that he got to spend time with both his parents again. The day was warm and sunny so Woohyun packed some lunch and together, they took their little boy to the park where they watched him play with some of the other children there.

Sunggyu noticed how nervous Woohyun was by the way his hands shook as he prepared the food.

He hated what he was doing to his younger husband. Ever since their talk with Eunseo, Woohyun was always deep in thought, worry lines creasing his forehead. Sometimes, Sunggyu would catch him staring off into space and he needed to call his name several times to get his attention.

He knew the younger was still processing everything. Even though it was Woohyun who suggested everything that they proposed to Eunseo, Sunggyu couldn’t help but feel guilty that he had to make those decisions, at all.

Myungsoo was famished by the time he finished playing and was silently devouring his food while his fathers flashed him amused looks. When he was done, he continued to sit cross-legged on the picnic blanket, anxiously awaiting his thirty minutes until he could go back and play.

Woohyun and Sunggyu took this time to finally talk to him.

“Myungie-ah,” Woohyun began. “Your Appa and I have something to tell you.”

The little boy nodded in obedience.

They both looked at each other and Woohyun gave Sunggyu an encouraging nod. They agreed that it would be Sunggyu who would break the news.

He placed a hand on the six-year-old’s back. “Can Appa ask you a question?”

Myungsoo nodded again.

“What do you think of having a little brother or sister?” he managed, his throat suddenly dry.

To their relief, Myungsoo’s eyes lit up. “I want a little brother!” he exclaimed, smiling widely. “Yeollie and Jongie both have little brothers so I want one too!” He turned his gaze to Woohyun. “Can I have one Papa? Appa?”

Sunggyu chuckled, patting Myungsoo’s back to return his attention to him.

This was it. Dongwoo advised them to act normal. This was normal. A little boy having a sibling is normal.

 “Well… the thing is… Appa has a friend… who will be having a baby… And… that baby will be your dongsaeng.”

Myungsoo’s whole demeanor practically lit up like a Christmas tree as he shot up to his feet, quickly. “Really?! I’m gonna be a big brother?!” he exclaimed, excitedly.

Sunggyu laughed, feeling relieved that Myungsoo was welcome to the idea. “Yes, you’re going to be a hyung or an oppa to your dongsaeng soon.”

The little boy threw himself at his father, hugging him, tightly as he laughed. Sunggyu hugged him back, feeling joy for the first time at the thought of giving his little boy a sibling. If Myungsoo was happy, then that was all that mattered.

The little boy pulled away from him and went to hug Woohyun too. Sunggyu watched them, fondly. He always enjoyed their sweet father-son moments.

“Papa, why are you crying?

To his shock, Woohyun had tears coming out of his eyes, but he was smiling at Myungsoo. “I’m… I’m just happy… that’s all, baby. I’m happy.”

Sunggyu looked into his eyes and saw only sadness there despite the smile painted on Woohyun’s lips.

And once again, Sunggyu had no one to blame but himself.

He swore that for every tear that Woohyun shed because of his mistake, he would make him ten times happier. He owed him.

He scooted over closer to the two and took them into his arms, Woohyun on his right and their son on his left.

“I love you both so much,” he said to them, holding them close.

His words were meant for Woohyun but Myungsoo responded, “We love you too, Appa! And I love my dongsaeng too!”

Even after Myungsoo left their side to go back to playing, Sunggyu didn’t let go of Woohyun.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered into his hair as Woohyun continued to cry. “I’m sorry for doing this to you. Woohyun, I love you. I’m so sorry.”

“Promise you won’t leave me,” his husband said in a soft voice. “Promise that you won’t leave us.”

“I won’t… I promise you, yeobo.”

Woohyun’s grip around his waist was tight and a little painful, but he didn’t mind the pain if it meant that his husband was reassured that he was there, that he wouldn’t leave him, that he would always be next to him.

 


A/N: I actually did try to Google "How to tell your kids they were having a sibling from an affair". And I found NOTHING. At least, nothing this specific. A lot of articles talk about how the spouse can deal with an affair child but not about how to tell their children about it, at least, not children as young as Myungsoo. So, I thought I'd try to put myself in the kid's shoes and think about what I would want to know if that happened. So, I had Dongwoo play that role of Woohyun's voice of wisdom.

Now the rest of the drama can REALLY begin! So, this is just a little taste of what to expect in the next 2 or 3 chapters: Eunseo's pregnancy, Myungsoo's excitement at being a brother, and Woohyun's reaction to how much his once perfect life was changing. We will get to know Eunseo more and about her feelings for Sunggyu. We will see how the legal spouse and the other woman interact with each other and I have so many big plans for these two! We will watch Sunggyu struggle to keep his family together while taking responsibility for another child. I will be touching on a lot of family stuff as well so ready some of your tears!

The title of this chapter is inspired by DBSK/TVXQ's "You Only Love."

'Til the next one!