BOYS DAY

Welcome Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BOYS DAY

Heart racing and legs pounding against the ground Sunhee tore into the hospital in an anxious mess. She could hardly believe she was able to drive herself to the hospital from work with how frantic and scared she was. She muttered apologies to the people she bumped into as she dashed for the front desk desperately needing information. Panting as she stood there the nurse stared at her like she was crazy.

“Kim – Kim Jongdae,” she said between huffing breaths. “I'm looking for Kim Jongdae and his son Minhwan.”

As the nurse turned to her computer tapping at her keyboard there was a poke on Sunhee's shoulder. She whirled around to see an older woman staring at her with wide eyes. Sunhee barely registered that it was Jongdae's mother.

“Taehee? What are –,” the woman began.

“Mrs. Kim, I'm Sunhee, her sister,” she quickly corrected.

“Oh, you're Sunhee,” the woman said in surprise.

“I don't mean to be rude, we can have a proper introduction later. Where's Jongdae and Minhwan?” she said doing her best to stay somewhat collected and not shake the woman for answers.

“Ah, room 31B,” she answered hesitantly.

“Thank you.”

Then Sunhee took off down the hall searching for the room.

Her eyes darted from one placard to the next watching the numbers climb as she vaguely heard quick footsteps following behind her. Her heart hammering against her ribs as the fear grew bigger and stronger inside her, threatening to paralyze her and keep her from finding her boys. Then she finally found room 31B and she nearly cried as she threw the door open.

Inside sitting on an examining table was Jongdae and Minhwan, the father speaking to a white coat wearing doctor who was checking things off on a clipboard. Sunhee dashed inside as tears welled up blurring her vision of her boys.

“Ma'am,” the doctor began as she stopped next to the table.

“Are you two okay?” she asked frantically. Her hands hovering over Minhwan, scared to hurt him more if he was injured. “Minseok got the call and, and he, uh, told me about the accident. Are you two okay?”

“Mama, mama,” Minhwan was cooing as he reached for her with grabbing hands.

Sunhee had long since given up on correcting the boy on who she was, not only because it was easier for her, but because she also liked the thought of actually being his mom.

“They're perfectly fine. I just finished their exam,” the doctor said kindly.

“Thank god,” Sunhee cried as she scooped up Minhwan hugging him close to her chest. She peppered his face and head with kisses as the tears ran down her cheeks, relief spreading through her body.

The doctor snickered fondly from behind Sunhee. “Take this to the nurse at the front desk before you leave. As for everything else you're good to go,” she said.

There was a rustle of paper then Jongdae said, “Thank you.”

Sunhee was still holding Minhwan close as Jongdae hopped off the table and stepped over to her to wrap his arms protectively around her. She leaned into his body, her shoulder against his chest, head on his collarbones. Minhwan muttering happily up at her in a mix of broken Korean and baby talk about what she assumed was his day.

“We're okay,” Jongdae said gently. His hand running up and down her back soothingly, his cheek pressed to the crown of her head. “Sorry we worried you.”

“I'm just glad you two are safe,” she sniffed, calming down some.

“It was a minor accident. Some idiot turned into the bus, no one was seriously injured. We came just to be sure,” Jongdae explained.

Sunhee kissed Minhwan's forehead again and in turn the boy placed his pudgy little hands on both of her cheeks and kissed her chin. She smiled down at the sweet boy.

“Jongdae,” his mother called gently from the doorway.

“Ah, mom,” he said like he just remembered she was there. “We're good to go.”

“She's genuine,” the woman said. At that Sunhee turned to look at her, startled by her response. Mrs. Kim gave her a warm smile, eyes turning into kind crescents at the girl. 'Thank you for loving my son and grandson,” she said to Sunhee.

The girl shook her head minutely. “You don't have to thank me. I want to love them. They're my everything,” she said softly.

Jongdae's arms tightened around her while she held the baby a little closer too.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter