A COUPLE CONFESSIONS

Welcome Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

DOUBLE UPDATE PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE READ CHAPTER 4 BEFORE STARTING THIS CHAPTER, MAJOR SPOILERS IN THE FIRST VIEW PARAGRAPHS!!!!

you have been warned.

A COUPLE CONFESSIONS

Leaving the elevator Sunhee rejected the seventh call since she left work. Getting an earful from her mother once was enough she wasn't about to hear how threatening her sister was wrong, living with her husband was blasphemy and that Taehee was pregnant with his second child. Sunhee was not going to listen to it anymore she was leaving that shadowy place for bright skies and freedom.

As she neared her apartment she expected Jongdae to be asleep with Minhwan, since it was clear that Taehee was at their parents'. Putting her phone on do-not-disturb she stopped in front of the apartment door, she shoved it into her back pocket, exhausted with all the drama from Taehee's return. Lifting her head she was about to punch in the code to enter when the door swung open, startling her and revealing a frantic looking Jongdae.

“You came back,” he breathed.

He didn't look like he had slept in the last day; stubble along his jaw and chin, dark bags under his eyes, complexion an almost sickly pale, hair a complete mess atop his head. Before Sunhee could say anything back Jongdae pulled her inside, wrapping his arms around her with his face buried in her shoulder.

“You came back,” he muttered into her sweater. She wasn't certain with the way her clothes muffled his voice, but it sounded like it was trembling. His hands definitely were as they pressed against her back holding her painfully close.

“O-Of course I came back. I live here,” she said trying to worm free of his hold. Jongdae didn't let her go though, in fact he held her tighter. “Oppa, did something happen?”

It was quiet for a while, Jongdae still holding onto her like she may have been a lifeline, but then he lifted his head to meet Sunhee's gaze. He looked anxious and serious and determined. It was an unsettling combination to have staring at her. His hands moving to her shoulders squeezing slightly.

“Can we finally talk? Please?” he said almost begging.

Sunhee bit her lower lip wanting anything, but that. She tried to step back, but Jongdae kept his hands firmly on her shoulders stopping her retreat.

“Please Sunhee. We really should talk.”

She swallowed down the anxious lump in , caving to the look he was giving her. Nodding she murmured, “Yeah, okay.”

Releasing her Jongdae lead the way over to the gray couch where they sat, slightly turned to face one another. Sunhee didn't have a clue as to where to start with their talk – Taehee's return, their kiss, the lie to his parents, the divorce papers (Sunhee didn't even know if he signed and filed the paperwork) – so she left it to her old club president to decide where they began.

It felt like hours were ticking by as they sat in the awkward silence. Sunhee's heart rate was through the roof and her hands were so slick with sweat it was hard to grip them together to keep from fidgeting. But then Jongdae took an audible deep breath and turned his head so he was looking directly at Sunhee who hesitantly did the same. As he exhaled he spoke so quickly that Sunhee only caught the words I and not.

“Huh?” she said quietly.

Jongdae spoke again, this time more slowly and clearly. “I'm not the father.”

She couldn't find the words to speak, but formed an uncertain 'o' as she stared at the trembling man.

“Taehee's current pregnancy, I'm not the father. Th-That only happened once and I took responsibility for my mistake. Don't take that badly, I love Minhwan,” he added the last part quickly. His palms swiping against the legs of his jeans like he was having the same sweaty hand problem Sunhee was. She watched his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed and shifted in his seat. “I never got to tell how it happened,” he continued.

“Please,” she interrupted. “I don't need to know about that.”

“I really think you should let me finish, it's important,” he said gently.

Sunhee couldn't argue when his usually bright eyes stared at her with a dark desperation, so she sighed and nodded for him to continue.

He nodded back and cleared his throat as he sat up a little straighter. “It was actually about this time two years ago, my class was having a reunion thing at a bar and I spotted a familiar face at the counter, so I went up to her excited to be able to meet after high school. It wasn't you though,” he huffed out in disappointment and Sunhee felt her heart constrict with thoughts of how this tale was going to play out. “She pretended for awhile to be you, but Sunhee doesn't shamelessly flirt and flutter her eyelashes. And you always, always, address me as “oppa”.

Sunhee felt a ghost of a smile grace her face that he remembered that even when they hadn't been as close while he went to unive

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter