ch9

Thawing

Kyulkyung thought that days will be better after a week or so, but it turns out to be the opposite.

 

She feels herself kind of being neglected by Eunwoo and Kyungwon. Eunwoo is really busy dealing her very important job with Kyungwon. They are finding each other almost everyday, which made Kyulkyung very jealous.

 

For the first two weeks, Kyulkyung tried to seek Eunwoo’s attention but somehow finds that the latter is somehow ignoring her but talks a lot about and with Kyungwon so now, she somehow decides to not distract the busy girl and rather stay quiet when she is next to her.

 

Kyulkyung is jealous that Kyungwon is having much of Eunwoo’s attention. It’s okay for Kyulkyung for Eunwoo not to say what’s happening but it is strange feeling that she is not the centre of the other girl’s life anymore.

 

“Hey, Jieqiong, your jiejie is here in Korea. Shouldn’t you be welcoming me for coming?”

 

“Welcome to Korea, unnie. You are finally here in Yuyu unnie’s hometown. How do you feel?” The younger asks back calmly, with her eyes staring outside the car.

 

“Zhou Jieqiong, look at me,” Kyulkyung turns, meeting Jiaqi’s eyes, “Oh gawd, Zhou Jieqiong, did you even sleep these nights? Your eyelids...it seems like they are going to fall.”

 

“Well, I’m fine, unnie. I’m really…” Kyulkyung yawns for a moment. “okay.”

 

“You’re not okay. What is it? Tell jiejie.”

 

Kyulkyung whispers to her ears, “My parents are here, on the car. Are you sure it’s a good place to talk about love here?”

 

“Then, let’s talk about it in your bedroom.”

 

The two of them stopped talking. The silence is making Jiaqi difficult to breathe.

 

“Why didn’t Kyungwonnie come?” Jiaqi actually knew the answer but she just throws a random question so that the two of them can start a new conversation.

 

“She said she’ll be having tutorial classes,” Jiaqi raises one of her eyebrows.

 

As expected, this is not the version I know.

 

“How about Eunwoo?”

 

“She’s having a dental checkup.”

 

“You didn’t sound happy when I’d mentioned her name.”

 

“It’s just her name. Should I even respond like I’m watching a concert?”

 

“Chill,” the elder girl is surprised by her answer. “There’s something on going with you two.”

 

Their car enters a district which is quite far away from school. It stops at the junction, waiting for the light to turn green. Kyulkyung casually looks at people on the street, spotting two similar figures running on the street. The taller one is in a short bob while the shorter one, who isn’t very short though, is using a backpack that looks very familiar to her.

 

The one of I gave it to Eunwoo.

 

And obviously the short bob is actually Kang Kyungwon.

 

Kyulkyung starts biting her lips anxiously as she sees the two figures sprinting towards a short, modern building which apparently has no signs of tutorial schools nor dental clinics in it. Jiaqi turns and see the two girls playfully hitting each other on the streets. She screams inwardly as she knew the truth that the girls are actually heading to Sunmi’s shop but not any lessons or check-ups.

 

The two girls thought it would be safe and better to just lie because Sunmi’s shop is pretty far from school and that if Jieqiong knows that they are hanging out together again, she might have gone crazy. They thought that Kyulkyung won’t be visiting this area for any reasons, not knowing that that neighbourhood is a must-pass location if Kyulkyung has to go home from the airport.

 

Kyulkyung sighs. For the past weeks, Kyulkyung is being understanding and never complains about Eunwoo being less responding or unable to talk to her. She feels lonely but knowing that Eunwoo is passionate and focusing on her thing. She is glad.

 

Even though Kyulkyung had no clue about anything behind such a sudden change in her life, yet still, she decided to believe in Eunwoo, supporting her mentally and wait.

 

But what she sees now, is two of your friends, one who is your favourite, lying to you so that they can hang out together and going to somewhere you aren’t supposed to know.

 

Her trust in Eunwoo has fallen into pieces, transforming into doubts, disbelief  

 

And a sense of betrayal.

 

Kyulkyung rolls herself into a ball and closes her eyes. Jiaqi brushes the younger one’s hair, “it’s Saturday today. We can have a chat tonight.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Kyulkyung throws her bag into her room and lies down on the sofa right after entering her house.

 

“Just realise that I’m such a great host. Look at you, my dear. You aren’t helping,” Jiaqi jokes.

 

“I’m grateful that you’re trying to cheer me up, Xu Jiaqi. But it’s really not funny.”

 

“Okay well, sorry.”

 

“You don’t have to feel sorry. It’s not your fault. I’m just not in a mood. Shall we order some takeaway?”

 

“Ddeokbokki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

“Did you purposely say that?”
 

“Huh? I say that because I want to eat it. Is there a problem?”

 

“No. Kyungwon unnie always order ddeokbokki. I thought you knew.”

 

“Oh really? Maybe it’s fate,” Jiaqi carefully hides her excitement because it’s not the right time for her to be hyped.

 

“There’s no need to hide it, Qiqi. I understand. I was like that when I first liked Eunwoo.”

 

“Just didn’t want to provoke you.”

 

“I’m fine. I’m really fine. I’m just a bit puzzled.”

 

“No, Jieqiong. You....”

 

“I wonder what has happened that made the two of them become so close. Nunu is an open door. She talks about everything, at least to me. But these days she is keeping things among themselves…”

 

“I understand she may actually want some time for herself or maybe with someone else but not me. And yes, definitely, she’s working hard for that very important thing. I understand and I won’t push her to care about me but it feels strange…”

 

“Because you two aren’t so attatched?”

 

“More than that. It’s like she has been your whole world and you have been her whole world and suddenly her world doesn’t need you.”

 

“You feel insecure.”

 

Kyulkyung smiles faintly, “Back in those days, her existence is everywhere. Whenever I talk or move, I know that she is always paying attention. I had nothing to worry because I know she’s here, backing me up. It’s the first time feeling that Eunwoo isn’t here, beside me. Her focus is on somebody else and it makes me...yeah you know.”

 

Seeing Kyulkyung looking like a lost puppy really made Jiaqi want to spill everything out, telling the girl that the other girl’s focus has always been on her and has never changed. The whole thing is just in another form which she is yet to know. However, she stopped herself from doing so. The first point is because she promised Kyungwon and knows Kyungwon believes in her wholeheartedly. Second is because she thinks this is an opportunity to let Kyulkyung understand that she should actually care more about her title.

 

“You are an observant girl. You know that your feelings towards each other is reciprocal but none of you has ever confess?”

 

“I guess we feel the same? We are always together and we are always here for each other. Why do we actually need a title?”

 

“Are you sure you’re thinking the same now?”

 

“Ergh…”

 

“You don’t. You want to push Eunwoo to care you more but now you are being careful because you think that you are not her girlfriend and you don’t have the right to do so.”

 

“Jiaqi, I’m tired. I don’t want to think anything about it.”

 

“This is your consequence for saying you are fine when you are not.”

 

Kyulkyung protests, “I’m really fine!”

 

“You lose your appetite, unable to sleep, unable to concentrate. I wonder what’s your definition for being not fine then.”

 

“Let's end this topic. Shall we?” she pushes her guest to the bathroom, “Only ddeokbokki is enough, right? I’m ordering it now.”

 

The door closes and the house becomes quiet again. Kyulkyung orders the food and warms a cup of milk, hoping that with Jiaqi here with her, she can be able to sleep better tonight.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Jiaqi stands at the subway exit, holding a cup of Americano like a model posing for a magazine, waiting for someone she was long awaited to meet since the day she knew her existence.

 

Kyungwon wears her favourite hoodie today and brings her favourite seatbelt bag with her. She looks at her reflection on the ads along the sides of the escalator and combs her hair with her fingers. It’s her first date with Jiaqi.

 

She sees at the girl in her dreams wearing a similar hoodie and hot pants. She takes a deep breath and runs to her with a bright smile.

 

“Kiki jiejie!” Kyungwon breathes heavily as she halts in front of the other tall girl. “I’m sorry. Did you wait me for long?”

 

“I’ve just arrived,” she lies. She’s been early for at least 30 minutes because she wants to be the one waiting.

 

“You don’t have to work for Eunwoo today?” the Chinese girl giggles.

 

Her laughter sounds even sweeter when hearing it live.

 

“We’re having a dayoff. Eunwoo cut her finger.”

 

“I bet Kyulkyung doesn’t know it.”

 

“Nunu won’t dare to tell her.”

 

“I actually mean that they kind of stopped talking.”

 

Kyungwon bites her lips, “We’re really in a hurry. But yeah, we do sense that Kyulkyung is being more quiet as before.”

 

“And less energetic..”

 

“I bet Kyulkyung has shared her concern to you already huh.”

 

“She wouldn’t be suffering so much if you guys just didn’t lie but got caught again.”

 

“We’re in our final stages. I’m sure Eunwoo will start to care much about Kyulkyung again.  Not only Kyulkyung, Eunwoo is also having huge dark eye circles. She’s been making the gift till midnight every day! But just one question, why is our topic always about the two? It’s our date. Shouldn’t we talk about ourselves?”

 

Jiaqi is startled by the question and does not know how to answer. She admits that whenever she talks to Kyungwon, it is always about Kyulkyung and Eunwoo. She is still a bit afraid that sharing her own experiences may actually bore Kyungwon thus it’s the best to talk about their mutuals in order to keep the conversation going.

 

“I want to know my date more. I want to know you more. I know you are a caring friend but let’s not talk about them for now. I’m dating you today.” Jiaqi’s face heats up hearing how straightforward Kyungwon can be.

 

“I’m not that interesting actually, Kyungwon ah.”

 

“As long as it’s Xu Jiaqi unnie-related, it won’t make me fall asleep.” Kyungwon reads the clock and pushes Jiaqi on her waist. “We’re going to be late, let’s go!”

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“I’ve booked some VR games. If we’re late, we’ll be playing nothing.”

 

Kyungwon pushes her to the game centre. They fight and play like normal couples do. After the games, Kyungwon brings Jiaqi to a famous ice-cream shop at the corner. It is very crowded and she asks Jiaqi to stand at the other side of the shop even Jiaqi insisted staying with her.

 

Separated, Kyungwon still can’t stop looking at Jiaqi. A more important reason why she has to have an eye on her crush is that there are some boys who are checking her out when passing by, which infuriated her.

 

Kyungwon is alarmed as she sees a man approaching Jiaqi and surprisingly (or not), a conversation started.

 

Kyungwon stares at the mysterious man who gives Jiaqi a small card, which seems to be a business card. Their conversation is not really a long one but it is 100% abnormal for strangers to talk that much.

 

Kyungwon returns with 2 cones of beautifully decorated ice-cream while continue staring at that strange man who walks away just as Kyungwon reaches Jiaqi. Judging at Kyungwon’s frown and her expression of being very serious, which Jiaqi thinks that it looks terribly cute, the latter knows that Kyungwon is alarmed.

 

She takes away one of the cone, “Ignore him. He didn’t harm me.”

 

Kyungwon simply ignores what the girl has said, “Who is he?”

 

“Just a random person. Just don’t frown, okay. Everything is fine.” Jiaqi pouts.

 

“Another random guy who wants to flirt you?” Jiaqi hums without reply.

 

“Unnie,” she turns to look at the girl who is now liking her ice-cream. Her words are stiff. “Strangers are strangers. It can be dangerous to start a conversation with them, especially when you are not in your hometown. I don’t care whether that person talking to you is a very handsome, tall guy or a glamorous, hot girl. Just don’t talk to them.”

 

Kyungwon being serious just because of her small actions makes Jiaqi’s heart flutter. Kyungwon sometimes acts like a kid but she is caring and reliable. Jiaqi is glad that she’s really very straightforward.

 

I really like her a lot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

: a new chap!! i tired to make it more interesting but it was harder than i thought. it was difficult to portray kyulkyung's feelings can you guys understand what i mean? TT hope you all like it!! ive finished writing 2/3 parts of the new chap. please stay tuned :) updates will be more more often i promise <3

comment, vote and subscribes! i really like all of your comments even though i may not reply them because i don't know how to :( luv u all!