ch8

Thawing

The girls practised hard for their performance and thus their comeback stage turned out to be a great success. Yebin enters her classroom the next day, seeing her neighbour’s table sticked with bunches of sticky notes.

 

It is not really an odd scene for her. She recalls the day when their first performance ended. It happened to all of the members, having bunch of sticky notes with phone numbers, most of them from boys. She remembers herself folding all of hers after scanning the names and throwing it inside the lockers. She was not interested in dates or flirts or chatting with new people. She had to work and forget the girl in her head.

 

She silently scans the names on them, shaking her head as she found most of the names familiar because she got the same note from those people.

 

“Woah, what happened?” Minkyung slowly reads each and every note carefully as she sits down.

 

“Ignore it,” Yebin starts taking away the notes on her desk.

 

“Hey, give it back to me. They’re mine.”

 

“They’re just useless pieces of papers.”

 

“Wae? I see compliments regarding my performances yesterday.”

 

“They just want to flirt you. Besides, who would say something bad when they want appeal to somebody?”

 

“Just let me read,” Minkyung whines.

 

Yebin is defeated. She returns the stack of folded sticky notes to Minkyung. Minkyung reads them carefully.

 

“Dokyeom is flirty. Girls in our school hated him....Lucas, same as Dokyeom...Chan, he wrote similar pieces of paper as long as he finds a girl casually looking at him...Oh, who’s this? Forget who he is but doubt whether he’s nice….I….” Yebin comments each and every note as Minkyung are reading them.

 

“Woah, babe, calm down. You sounded like I’m going to date them tomorrow.”

 

“I’m warning you to be careful with these boys. They aren’t as nice as they seem.”

 

“And what if I found out that they are actually nice?”

 

“They are pretending, trust me.”

 

“You’re so protective,” Minkyung starts to giggle, trying to hold her happiness deep inside her heart.

 

“You are my unnie, my friend and my unnie’s best friend. Of course I have to do so.”

 

“Okay okay. Your unnie, Minkyung Kim, is just curious in what they can write to a stranger. I’ll be careful. I assure you.” Minkyung ruffles the shorter girl’s hair.

 

Yebin frowns, obviously not satisfied her unnie’s statement. “You promise me you won’t be dating any of them.”

 

Minkyung bursts out her laughter. “Oh gosh, dear, do I actually look like I’m that desperate to be loved. Of course I won’t be dating anyone of them. I have a person I like. I’m not interested at those people at all.”

 

Oh, yeah. Him. Kang Yebin, how can you even forgotten that?

 

“Oh yeah, I know that.” Yebin bites her lips, murmuring.

 

Minkyung startled, eyes widening as she stare at Yebin who stopped smiling. “You..uh...YOU KNOW????”

 

Yebin smiles awkwardly, “Wait, what did I say? I...um...eh blurted it out without knowing. No, I don’t know. You do?!” She tries to sound surprised but the way she starts to avoid the elder’s eyes betray her.

 

Minkyung calmly replies, “Yeah, I do. I like that person a long time ago.”

 

“Oh really.”

 

If only Yebin is able to meet Minkyung’s eyes at this moment, she will be able to see how soft and in love this girl is looking at her, with a tinge of bitterness and confusion in between them.

 

But Yebin is always a coward when it comes to Minkyung.

 

The two of them stop joking, probably because both of them are not in a mood to do so.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Yebin smacks her head hard on her pillow as she recalls what happened this morning.

 

I like that person a long time ago.

 

Him.

 

“Kang Yebin, wake up. She was always his and not yours. How. *Smack* Dare. *Smack* You. *Smack* Ever. *Smack* Forget. *Smack* He has her heart already. You are just a….guardian angel. You protect her so that she can be with her boy in her dreams. Arghhhhhhhhh, I’m so stupid.” She rolls and kicks on her bed.

 

If you are being greedy, you will be the one suffering.

 

Yebin sighs. “Why do I even feel jealous when she starts reading the notes? Why am I even afraid that she’d be with anyone of them? I don’t like her. I don’t...I...I don’t know.”

 

Woah, babe.

 

“ARGHHHHHH, MY HEART,” she sighs, “Okay, I do.”

 

Trying to forget Minkyung for the past 3 years was just too tiring and too difficult for Yebin. It failed completely and it’s better to admit that she was unable to do so.

 

Maybe I can just act a bit selfish and imagine I’m her boyfriend-like bestie for awhile?

 

Yebin is satisfied with her answer.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

It’s already the 19th and there’s only a month left for Eunwoo to prepare her present. Everything is planned but zero progress has been made. Eunwoo sighs as Kyungwon and her stares at the mess around her room.

 

“I guess we’ll be meeting everyday in the upcoming month?”

 

“Well yeah, time is running short. We can find others to help.”

 

“It would be more difficult to find when your princess is back tomorrow.”

 

“Shall we just meet up every recess?”

 

“Let’s just see each other everyday after school and more importantly, you shouldn’t allow Jieqiong entering your room.”

 

“Can we have someone to drag her attention?”

 

“Kiki will be coming to our school 2 weeks later. Before that, we will have to plan.”

 

“Are you sure this was a good idea at the first place?” Eunwoo sighs and starts cleaning up the mess on her table.

 

“We’re being sincere. If I’m going to confess to Kiki, I’ll be giving her a necklace.”

 

“You’ve planned already????”

 

“Maybe on the day when she leaves Korea?”

 

“Wow, unnie. You’re real quick.”

 

“It’s always you and my sister who are so slow when it comes to love. It’s been I don’t know how many years since you've like the other girl.”

 

“Three for your sister and one and a half for me.”

 

“Yah, whatever. Let’s get this done.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Kyulkyung is glad that she’s finally back. She had been waiting for this moment ever since the day she flew.

 

“Jieqiong, arrived?”

 

“Yes, jiejie. I’m going back school tomorrow,” she cheerfully answers the other end.

 

Kiki shakes her head, “You sound so happy. Do you really miss your girl that much? You’ve been calling each other everyday.”

 

“It’s different when you see her in person...Unnie, I’ll talk to you later. Bye for now!” Kyulkyung cuts the line as she sees the girl helping holding her suitcase without saying a word.

 

She holds the girl’s hand, “Nunu, miss me?”

 

Eunwoo intertwines their fingers. “Miss this more. Oh but Kyul, I’m not having dinner with you tonight. I have something else to do, but I’ve packed all the notes taught when you weren’t here in your room. Do check it out if you aren’t tired.”

 

“Oh, okay.” Kyulkyung smiles sweetly.

 

Eunwoo isn’t really hyped about me coming back. This is what Kyulkyung thought a few days after she has come back.

 

Something has changed. Eunwoo is less clingy. Kyulkyung and Eunwoo talk less. Eunwoo is being more careful and cautious about something.

 

Kyulkyung expected Eunwoo to tell her what she has been hiding from her weeks ago, but at the end she didn’t. She once saw Eunwoo writing on a piece of card or something at the classroom door but as she approaches, Eunwoo hided it immediately. When she asked what it was, Eunwoo awkwardly changed their topic.

 

She’s curious at what her best friend is hiding but still bothers not to ask her in person.

 

She is really unimpressed seeing Eunwoo not spending time with her like the days before she went to her exchange. They spent most of their after school free time together, hanging around schools or cafes together.

 

Eunwoo rushes to the classroom door right after the last bell rung.

 

Kyulkyung is surprised and sighs. “You aren’t free today? Again?”

 

Eunwoo pouts, “Oh yeah, I’m sorry. This may have to continue for awhile.”

 

“I just wanted an after school date…”

 

“Maybe later,” she cups Kyulkyung’s cheeks and pulls it closer to her face and pretends to kiss it. “You know I love you. Be patient.”

 

Kyungwon walks towards the duo and smacks the taller one’s shoulder. “Miss Jung, can we go now?”

 

“Damn, yeah.” Eunwoo ruffles Kyulkyung’s hair. “See you tomorrow babe.”

 

Kyulkyung sighs as she sees the two of them leaving the classroom together again.

 

It’s the eighth day you’ve been saying later Jung Eunwoo.

 

She wonders how her absence can strengthen the bonding between Kyungwon and Eunwoo that much.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Minkyung has become the permanent member of the group. She got a bunch of fans after the performance and it doesn’t make sense if she just quit after being famous.

 

Minkyung and Kyungwon are having hotdogs after their practice.

 

“Geez, Minky, are you eating hotdog or eating ketchup?” Kyungwon stares at Minkyung’s hotdog which is almost soaked in ketchup.

 

“Gosh, I didn’t see I have added so much of it.”

 

“You simply didn’t see anything. You were daydreaming.” Minkyung shrugs.

 

“You can’t focus at all during practice. There’s something bothering you.”

 

“Do I look transparent?”

 

“Yes when it comes to my sister. I’m 200% sure you are thinking about her right now.”

 

“Do you think she knows I like her?”

 

Kyungwon chokes, “For this, I’m 2000% sure that the answer is a no. She’s too dense and isn’t aware about anything about love.”

 

“But she said she know I like somebody.”

 

Kyungwon scratches her head, “She must be joking.”

 

“I told her that I got somebody who I liked a long time ago. She blurted out a ‘I know’, stopped laughing and started looking away.”

 

“Isn’t that damn obvious? Whether she knew or didn’t know, she is unhappy because she thinks that that person isn’t her.”

 

“Your sister is stange. I mean, what she says and what she does is contradicting.”

 

“I won’t defend her for this.” Kyungwon remembers what her sister told her the night before the start of the term.

 

“To be very honest, I think there’s something going on with her. You guys really need a talk about this. You shouldn’t just pretend nothing have ever happened just because the relationship has improved."

 

Minkyung slightly nods. “I’m actually worrying that our relationship will be worsen again.”

 

“Why say so?”

 

“Jun and his family is visiting our family soon.”

 

“He’s still…um liking you?” Minkyung nods again.

 

“Does Yebs know him?”

 

“NO. OF COURSE NOT. If she knows him, I’ll rather die.”

 

“Karma. You shouldn’t had fulfilled his strange request at the first place.”

 

“I was innocent. How could I even know his real intention behind his request?”

 

“You’re stupid not innocent. I still think that it was ridiculous for you agreeing to help him and look at you now, still dealing with him ages after the incident.”

 

Minkyung hates to agree what Kyungwon says but she has to. If she knew the consequences of helping him was actually more than what she thinks, she might actually stab herself to death.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

: it's been ages since my last update and finally im free from my exams! i hope you all still remember the story. i'm actually planning to make this story a bit faster and shorter because i feel im making it too long and too boring and too detailed. there's another fic in progress n i hope to finish updating it before my summer holiday ends! 

do you guys like this chapter? i'm glad that i'm finally introducing jun to the story. he's a classmate of kyungwon and minkyung when they were studying in Australia. jun and minkyung's parents are friends so they are still in contact. he's going to be very important in the upcoming chapters so do stay tuned! comment, vote and subscribe! thankyou for waiting<3