Chapter 9

Once Upon a Kidnap

“I say give it another hour. We can talk over the last few details and prepare everything we need.” Soohyun said as we all lounged on the couch. Everyone was acting as if nothing was going on and it’s just another ordinary day, while inside we probably couldn’t find any peace- at least I knew I couldn’t.

Minho got up and leaned against a wall, his arms crossed over his chest. His posture was relaxed yet if you looked closer you could see his eyes dancing with excitement. Soohyun was suddenly pacing the room, whispering something that I couldn’t decipher. I still haven’t moved from my spot on the couch. Usually my whole body would be numb by now without any movement for so long, but my mind was preoccupied with something else.

Over the last couple of hours, I began to get used to the idea of never seeing the two young men again. If you think about it, I have only known them for two days so I have no right to... ahh, who am I kidding? It usually took me months to get close to people, never mind feel comfortable around them, yet these guys have gained my trust in under a week! I can’t just ignore that. There must be a reason why I am opening up around them so much. However, I do miss my best friend. No matter how much I like these guys, I would not give her up for anything in this world. The thought of seeing her again made me cheer up. She would die of jealousy when I tell her of my little adventure with the iest guys in Korean history. I mean, she hated guys but even she isn’t immune to total hotties. ‘Hotties?’ I can’t believe I just thought that! I shook my head in bewilderment. And anyhow, if fate wanted it, I would see them again someday. And hopefully that day would come very soon.

“Hey,” Soohyun announced. “I am going to pack some things. You and I,” he said pointing his finger between Minho and himself “can’t come back here. We’ll have to go out of town for a while.” Minho simply nodded in response before Soohyun went away to pack.

Feeling the need to stretch, I got up also, but after hours of staying in the same position my legs buckled underneath me and gave out, causing me to fall back on the sofa. A little unbalanced, I fell slightly to the left, causing my hand to brush against the material of the sofa. I winced in pain. Shoot, I totally forgot about the burn. And now that my mind was on it, it hurt like hell. I looked down at it to see that it was all red and blotchy, and I think I even could see small blisters. I blew on it to get rid of the burning and let out a strangled noise when it only made the pain worsen.

“.” I heard, and suddenly Minho was kneeling right before me. “I completely forgot about your injuries.” He took my hand in his and I jerked it back when the contact sent a burning sensation through my hand.

“I’m sorry.” he said softly, thinking he had hurt me. “Here, let me see how bad it is.” This time, he gently took my wrist and brought my hand closer to his face. My breath hitched. All of a sudden my hand wasn’t the only part of my body that was burning. He looked up at me. “You’re like a child,” he gave me a cool smile. “And you have the worst luck in the world.” Jeez, I thought, can my face get any redder?

“Come on,” he said, letting go of my wrist and getting up. “Let’s get you to the kitchen first.” When I showed that I wasn’t about to make a move, he sighed and came around to my side. I was confused for a second, but then he put his arm around my waist and pulled me up. My eyes widened and I stifled a gasp. His left arm was holding on tightly to my waist while his other hand supported my elbow as he helped me walk. I’m not sure if it helped as my legs felt like jelly as he pressed so close to me, and his body heat made me even more flushed. I was not used to men touching me. I looked away from him, making sure my head was down so he wouldn’t see all the blood in my body rushing to my face.

“I- I am okay now, thanks.” I said as we neared the kitchen. I would have set on fire if he stayed close any longer.

He nodded and let go of me. “Go sit down, I’ll get the first aid kit.” As he walked away in the opposite direction, my body relaxed and I stumbled into the kitchen and slumped myself on a chair. Why am I acting so weak? ‘Show some womanly power!’ I willed myself. Minho returned way too soon, not giving me enough time to pull myself together. ‘Don’t look down, don’t- look- down’ I chanted as he walked closer toward me.

He sat on the chair next to me and placed the first aid kit on the table. “Give me your hand.” he commanded. Sensing my hesitation, he reached over and took my wrist. Shoot, I looked down! I groaned internally.

“What?” he asked.

“What?” I repeated surprised, looking up at him.

“What, what?” he wondered.

I kept looking at him confused. “Huh?”

He gave me a blank stare. “You just groaned. What was that for?”

“I didn’t groan.” I defended myself.

“Uh... yeah you did.” I did? Did it actually come out?

“Oh,” I grumbled “Sorry.”

“Whatever.” He mumbled going back to work on my hand.

“Well it is too late to put it under running water as the burns seem to have already settled,” he said, “so I’ll just put burn cream on it for now to sooth the pain.” I nodded in return, amazed at his ability to string a calm sentence together. I winced when the cream first touched my skin but the effect was amazing. It surprised me, not for the first time, how gentle he can be. His fingers moved so softly across my scorched skin I almost couldn’t feel them.

“In about fifteen minutes I’ll wrap it up once the cream has dried in.” He told me once he was finished.

“Thanks.” I said smiling a little. But my smile dropped when I looked at my hand again. It looked awful; red, puffy and blemished. How could I be so careless? This made me look less human and if it scars, it would drop my value, especially in my world, where you are expected to be perfect. One small tear escaped.

“Hey,” Minho snapped at me, taking my chin in his hand and lifting it so I was looking him straight in the eye. “Don’t worry. These marks won’t stay.” He smirked when he realised he just guessed what I was thinking. “Plus...” He took a dramatic pause “I am sure you can afford plastic surgery.”

I gasped, and tried to swat at his head with my good hand but he dodged it and jumped off the chair letting go of me. ‘Way to ruin the atmosphere’ I thought, yet my mood felt afloat again.

Soohyun re-entered the kitchen soon after looking pleased with himself. “I have finished all the packing. All our clothes and some of the necessities are in the bags by the front door.”

I was surprised by that because all the stuff was still left on the shelves and in the cupboards. I asked him why.

“We don’t actually live here.” Soohyun answered. “This used to be a storage base but some guys turned it into this type of headquarter or a hideout in our case. There is a group of us... I wouldn’t call us friends but sort of acquaintances that use it whenever they are in town.”

“So you mean anyone could have come in here?!” I asked startled.

“Technically yes...” Soohyun started.

“But while we are here, no one would dare come.” Minho finished for him.

“So then you lied when you said no one knew we were here.” I said angrily. I don’t even know why I was getting angry.

“Technically no...” Soohyun started again.

“But none of the guys would ever sell us or anyone out. We value trust and devotion.” Minho finished once more.

“So are all the people who “hide” here are fugitives like you?” I asked, anger still bubbling inside me.

“I just told you that those guys are loyal to a fault and protect each other no matter what, and you automatically class them as criminals?” Minho roared at me, hurt in his voice.

“I didn’t mean it like that.” I fired back defensively.

“You are such a spoiled inconsiderate brat.” He muttered to himself, but loud enough that I heard him clearly.

Without thinking, my anger took over my control and I spurted out, “At least I know how to knock.” Suddenly realising what I said, I shut my mouth. An awkward silence fell upon the room. Not knowing where to look I decided to focus my gaze on a wall. What an amazing blank wall.

“What?” Soohyun asked confused. Minho’s eyes turned cold but the flush in his cheeks gave him away. Soohyun’s eyes went back and forth between as a few times. “You know,” He started, smirking a little, “It sounds like you walked in on her or something.” He began outright laughing. When neither Minho nor I answered his laugh began to die out until it stopped entirely. “You didn’t!” he gasped.

“You did!” he began laughing again. “You dirty ert!” Minho groaned in frustration and stormed out the kitchen. I was left sitting at the kitchen, stunned and embarrassed.

“Gosh, I wish I was there.” Soohyun’s laugh stopped when he realised what he said. “I mean, not to see you or anything, no.” He began mumbling uncomfortably. “I mean, like, to see his face and stuff, you know?” he paused. “I think I’m going to go.” He said uncomfortably and followed Minho out the room.

I dropped my head into my arms, but felt my lips turn up at the corners into a content smile.

*

We waited another two hours - two agonisingly long hours - before Minho made the call. This time, everyone sat a fair distance from each other, too anxious to listen in on the conversation. Yet this time he put the phone on loudspeaker so we could all hear how our fates were to turn out. He dialled the number and put the phone to his ear. He was so relaxed, I thought, but as I narrowed down on his hand, it clutched the phone so strongly that even the tiniest bit of more pressure would have it crumbling. My eyes wandered to his face hoping to catch his eye but they were trained on the kitchen door. I then trailed my stare to Soohyun. He must have felt my gaze because he looked at me and gave me a reassuring smile before turning away.

In a flash, Minho straightened and his eyes flared with awareness.

*

Everything was ready. All that was left was for the criminals to make the call.

President Im’s office was full of people. Security was guarding every door and window. The police were restless, pacing the room as if it would speed up the process. But they were only there for show: to make them think they are important and to give statements to the press after all this was over. The secret service were present also. They were of more use; they had more power.

Two hackers were at his desk, all their equipment covering the large mahogany surface. Three other professional trackers were hovering above the desk, just in case. He also had a team of snipers just a call away. But he will not be telling anyone that.

The phone began ringing. Every person in the room froze, awaiting his signal. He stared at the phone, the new equipment surrounding it flashing red. He let his eyes maliciously slide to each man in turn around the desk who nodded at him, saying they are ready. He hesitated a second longer, but at the seventh ring he stretched out his arm and pressed the green answer button.

*

The phone rang seven times. When it reached the fifth ring, I was sure he wasn’t going to pick up. During those longest seconds of my life, the three of us didn’t look at each other or mutter a single sound. It made all of us suspicious. It made no sense to prolong the exchange any more than it needed to be. Yet right after the seventh ring, the receiver on the other end picked up. Seven. My lucky number. Did my father send me a sign? I brushed it off as a coincidence as the two guys straightened up in their seats, grim expressions taking over their features.

“So, aren’t you going to state your demands?” My father’s booming voice startled me. It is his usual voice, detached and demanding. I almost grab the phone to switch it off just so I don’t have to listen to him, but Minho’s voice interrupts my irrational thoughts.

“I would imagine you would be a little nicer to someone who holds your daughter captive.” I am surprised by how similar he sounds to my dad. The same coldness, same authority, but for the slight humour in his voice that on my father could only be identified as mockery.

“I wouldn’t test my temper if I was you, you piece of s...” My dad broke his sentence and you could hear his heavy breathing. He obviously has someone at his side, telling him to calm down and not to provoke the kidnappers. I looked panicked at Soohyun mouthing to him ‘tracking’ while running my fingers over the table to emphasise my point. He smirked at me lifting his eyebrows and looking back at Minho. I sighed in relief, remembering he is a tech genius.

“I could say the same thing,” Minho replies smugly. “It would be a shame if anything was to happen to precious little Yoona.” Soohyun rolled his eyes. I just wanted this call to be over.

*

Im Sang Joong was shaking with fury. His fists were balled and entire body tense. From the fifteen people in the room only a quarter of them seemed calm and unafraid of him.

“Keep talking.” The tracker whispers to him. “We need more time to track them.”

He exhaled in frustration. Damn them. The fortune he spent on those ‘professionals’ better not prove to be a waste. He let out another breath and put aside his dignity as he whimpers, “I just want my daughter back.”

*

I cover my mouth with my hands to prevent a startled gasp. My eyes begin to water. I know his acting skills could win him am Oscar but he sounds so sincere. It makes me think about the time when I was younger. When my mother was alive. When he still had a soul. Minho sends me a sharp warning glare telling me not to mess this up. I nod my head furiously, hands still over my lips. I promised myself the last time that I would never lose my cool for him and I am going to keep it. I feel my body turning cold as I calmly now nod once in Minho’s direction to keep going. He looks surprised that I managed to compose myself so quickly and I feel pride flow through my body instead of the dangerous chill. I decide to keep my eyes on Soohyun, whose proud smile fills me with confidence.

“Now listen carefully. You are to leave two billion won cash at 18 hours in the south wing of the old Buncheon baseball stadium. Once we receive the money you will find a phone at the counter of the 24 hour store across from the entrance. We will call and tell the location of your daughter once the money is safe. If you try to sabotage me, I will know. If you decide to trick me, I will know. If there are any of your men watching us, I. Will. Know. And if anything goes wrong... She is dead.”

“You are crazy!” Im Sang Joong bellowed. “This leaves me only five hours to get all that money in cash.”

“This is non-negotiable.” Minho stated. “Oh, and don’t bother tracking us. You won’t succeed.” And he hung up.

*

Im Sang Joong screamed in rage and threw the phone across the room. It smashed against the wall, creating a firework of screws and chips. “Did you manage to track their location?”

“No Sir. The signal was indecisive.” One tracker answered.

Im Sang Joong bellowed in outrage.

“Calm down sir.” The tracker said sternly. “We will not tolerate outbursts like these.”

“You were supposed to do one thing. And you failed!”

“Yes.” The tracker agreed. “However he didn’t put any masking on his voice, so our system is now searching for a match. We can access any recording site or facility and a personal file of every person in eastern Asia. Any home videos, security camera footages, and we will be able to bring you the entire life history of the man. Once we know who he is, it will be easy to track him through facial recognition across the entire globe.” He finally finished, leaving everyone stunned.

Im Sang Joong smiled slyly. “I am sorry for losing my composure. Thank you for being understanding. I knew I hired the right people for the job.” He was once again sure that nothing could take him down. 

 

 

Hello Dear Readers,

So sorry for the wait again. I will honestly try to fix that and have the next chapter waaaay sooner. Thank you!