Chapter 7

Once Upon a Kidnap

 

I can’t believe you had pizza delivered,” I said through a mouthful of food. “What if someone saw you?”

Well, you’re the only one who knows what we look like and no one knows where you are,” Soohyun said as he devoured another slice.

What if they saw me?” I pressed.

Then we’d have to kill them, wouldn’t we?” Minho said in a sarcastic high pitched voice.

I glared at him. “If that was an imitation of me, it was really bad.”

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realise I had an ‘I give a ’ look on my face.” I gasped at his rudeness and was ready to fire back an insult when Soohyun interrupted me. Again. Right when I have an awesome comeback.

Kids! Do I need to split you two up and put you to bed early?” Minho and I looked at each other but didn’t say another word. “That’s right. Listen to daddy.” We shot him a glare which shut him up this time. “Alright,” he continued after a while, “so we lay low for another two days and then make the call again.”

Right,” I said. “Then, when they believe that I really am kidnapped, we will arrange a time and a place where the exchange will happen.”

I just wish time flew by faster,” Minho spoke so softly that I almost didn’t hear him.

What?” I asked because I was shocked at how soft his voice sounded.

He shook his head. “Nothing.” He got up from the sofa, not finishing his food, and walked away to his room.

I looked at Soohyun to see him watching after Minho with an understanding look in his eyes. “Why do you need the money?” I asked softly. He turned his head to look at me. “Is someone sick and you need to pay for an operation? I have money in my bank account. I could help you. I don’t have as much as what you’re asking for but it must be enough. You don’t have to do something as dangerous as this. Please let me help you,” I pleaded.

Soohyun smiled at me and reached his hand up to touch my cheek. My face turned red. “You are so kind and sweet, that now I feel guilty for treating you like this.”

You’re not…”

But this isn’t something I can tell you about. And no, it’s not an operation but the cause is important, trust me. Thank you for offering your help, but lets just stick to the plan.” He got up, slowly trailing his hand off my cheek. He picked up the plates from the coffee table and walked off to the kitchen. Before entering he turned towards me and looked me in the eyes. “Maybe soon Minho will tell you himself.”

 

*

 

That night I couldn’t fall asleep. No matter how hard I tried, sleep just wouldn’t come. I sat up in bed looking around the small dark room. My bedroom back home was four times its size, yet I didn’t care. There was only a bed, a chest of drawers and a chair in the room but it didn’t feel lonely. Even though my room was full of all the stuff I’ll ever need, it all felt useless. Not like here where everything belongs and has a purpose. I have a purpose. I’m the most useful thing in this room. I’m glad that at least Soohyun doesn’t treat me like an object; otherwise I wouldn’t have lasted a day and went crazy.

Feeling bored and restless, I got up to get a drink. I opened the door slowly to make sure it didn’t creak and stepped out into the dimly lit lounge. The room felt eerily quiet without the two guys in the room to liven it up (not that Minho did much talking anyway). The floors were cold concrete therefore they wouldn’t creak yet I couldn’t help but tiptoe slowly into the kitchen. I didn’t need to wake anyone up and make them suspicious.

The door to the kitchen was slightly ajar so I squeezed between it and the door frame without touching anything. I didn’t bother turning the lights on and made my way over to the fridge more confidently, sure that no one was bound to hear me now. I opened it and took out a bottle of cold water from the side of the door.

Why aren’t you asleep?”

My heart jerked in my chest. I span around. The fridge door slammed shut with a clatter. I slumped against it with a hand over my mouth to stop the scream that was about to escape.

Damn it, you scared the crap out of me!” I shouted at him in an angry whisper, my heart just beginning to slow down.

Ooh, the princess just swore,” He said, feigning shock.

Why are you sitting in the dark?” I asked him without moving an inch from my spot.

Why are you sneaking around in the dark?” He backfired at me.

I was thirsty. Now you answer.”

He surveyed my face for a bit with look that I couldn’t decipher. “I couldn’t sleep,” He said simply, looking down at a cup in his hand.

Seriously though, you scared the life out of me” I complained.

Would you like Soohyun to come and comfort you?” he raised his accusing eyes to my face once more.

What?” I asked perplexed.

He looked away again. “Nothing.”

Feeling more than a little uncomfortable, I sat down opposite him at the table. The silence was beyond awkward. I didn’t know what to say and it seemed as if I was intruding on him but I was reluctant to leave. I didn’t want there to be tension between us. I hate it when I don’t get along with people.

Sooo…” I said. “How old are you?” Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I just asked for his age. Could there be a more stupid question?

He smirked, not lifting his head up. “Twenty three.”

Oh,” I said cheerfully, relieved that he answered. “I’m nineteen.” I continued, trying to keep the conversation going.

I know.”

Where did you grow up?”

What’s with the interrogation? How do I know you’re not trying to get information on me?” What an . Can’t even help me out a bit and roll along. I scowled at him.

Fine, something less intrusive then that doesn’t require …..details. Umm,” I pondered for a moment. “What’s your favourite colour?”

Black. God, why am I even answering you?”

Because you like talking about yourself,” I smiled sweetly at him. He glared at me but this time I didn’t turn away.

I want to strangle you,” He growled at me. I only smiled in return.

So why black?”

Why does there have to be a reason?”

Why do you always answer my questions with questions?”

Because your questions are stupid,” He stated.

Well I don’t see you making any effort to be civilised mature people.”

The only mature person I see here is me.”

Jerk!” I exclaimed.

Keep your voice down,” He hushed me. “You have never experienced the wrath of woken-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-Soohyun. That is something I wouldn’t even wish on an enemy.” I giggled at how serious he looked and sounded. “Don’t laugh. This is no joking matter. If he wakes up, I will make you pay.” I nod once in understanding. He seemed to calm down once I did that.

So why black?” I repeat my earlier question.

He sighs in frustration. “Because it makes you invisible.” I stare at him confused. “Especially in the night. You are free to do what you want without being noticed. You just blend in with the shadows. It allows you to find out things secretly.” Well, he can definitely go unseen in the dark, that’s for sure. “And you can grab girls, like yourself, and drag them away without anyone seeing a thing.”

Wow, that’s deep.”

What’s yours?”

What?”

Your favourite colour. What is it?” he asked me.

He asked me a question. Oh My God! Taking a grasp at the opportunity, I blurted out the first answer that came to my head without even thinking about what I was saying. “Blue.”

Why blue?” he asked mimicking my previous interest.

I don’t really know.” I answered honestly. “Maybe because it surrounds us. The sky is blue, the sea. Those are things that make us feel alive and happy.”

Deep.”

I chuckled. “Would you stop repeating everything I say.”

I’ll have to think about it,” He said, a tiny smile appearing on his lips.

Do you have any siblings?” I wondered. Suddenly his face went dark. Oh no, I ruined it again.

I have a sister” He said in monotone. A sister. I wonder why the mention of her brought out such a response. After a brief moment the sombre expression was gone from his face. “You actually remind me of her.”

Oh god, no. For some reason it isn’t a pleasant thought. Him thinking of me as a sister is worse than him hating me. “Is she as pretty as me?” I said slyly, trying to lighten the mood and get the strange thoughts out of my head.

No,” he said simply. “You’re just as annoying. Maybe even more so.”

I glared at him when suddenly a massive yawn escaped me. It was so long and big I thought my mouth would split. Aish, why do I always embarrass myself like this? His chuckle however, made me feel a little better. The slight tilt of the corners of his lips upward, which suggest a smile, make you forget all your troubles.

I think it’s time you go to bed.”

But…” I started, though his slightly less menacing glare made me stop. With a sigh, I got up and turned around to walk away.

Goodnight.” He said quietly as I was just about to walk out. I smiled to myself and whispered a ‘goodnight’ back without turning around. I collapsed on the bed as soon as I was back in my room, the unopened water still in my hand. I curled on my side trying to replay all that’s happened in the kitchen but sleep took over too quickly.

 

 

 

So sorry for the long wait AGAIN. There are no excuses for such behaviour! Will try to change... But enjoy and comment please.