Secret Tunnel

BTS Halloween Special
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook and Reader

Genre: Horror

Word count: 1,963 words

A/N: The basic idea for this story is from one of the ghost stories from one of my high schools.

~•~•~•~

"Are you serious?" The incredulousness in my response spoke volumes even without looking up from the notebook I was writing in. I had known Jungkook forever and I loved him to bits, but he was so gullible that it exhausted me at times.

His pout might have been adorable if I hadn't had the urge to smack his silliness away. "Aw, come on, you never know."

"It's obviously just a made up story that seniors pass down to innocent juniors like you," I said, putting down the pen in my grip as I turned to face him.

"Still, don't you think it's weird? There's just no way for all these clocks to stop at the same time."

To his delight, the statement caused a crease to form between my eyebrows as I considered it despite myself. Of course the fact that each and every one of the clocks in the school had stopped at the same exact time hadn't escaped my notice. Even if they all used the same batteries that had been inserted at the exact same moment, it was just impossible for all of them to stop right down to the same second at the same time. However, it wasn't something that kept me up at night; after wondering about it for a while, I'd moved past the mystery and forgotten about it. Sighing, I conceded the point.

"Still, what does that have to do with this secret tunnel?"

"Everything! Haven't you been listening to me?" Jungkook threw his arms in the air in frustration.

"Not really, no," I laid the truth down on him without hesitation, picking up my pen again, but he grabbed my hand before he lost my attention.

"The reason why the clocks stopped is in that tunnel," he said with an air of secrecy, but it just made me roll my eyes.

"I think they're just messing with you, Jungkook."

His incessant whining combined with the stamping of his feet reminded me of an annoying, overlarge baby. "Come on! If it isn't there, then that's that. But there's no harm in checking it out for ourselves!"

~•~•~•~

"I consider being caught by the school guard in the middle of the night as harmful, Jungkook," I grumbled a few hours later.

"Relax, no one will come in." Jungkook reassured me as he unscrewed the grill in front of him as swiftly as he could while remaining silent. Moonlight shone generously through the windows lining near the ceiling of the school's main hall, but unless someone opened the door, Jungkook and I would remain unseen.

"How did you manage to unlock this place, anyway?" Curiosity begged me to ask while I directed the beam of the flashlight over his shoulder from behind. His crouched position with one hand working the screws while the other held the grill in place so it wouldn't crash to the floor made it hard for him to hold his own flashlight up.

"I was helping a teacher move some chairs around earlier and didn't lock up when I left." The explanation was simple and anticlimactic, but at that moment the grill gave way without having anything to hold it up, and my interest was piqued again.

He set it down with a soft clang and got on his hands and knees to crawl in. "I'll go first," he confirmed before switching his flashlight on and putting it into his mouth. I nodded, watching him inch into the hole which barely fit him, then jammed my own light into my mouth and followed suit. As expected, the air was heavy with dust and I could immediately feel my nose getting irritated, but I tried my best to ignore it.

"Hey, come forth just a little more." Jungkook's sudden instruction was surprising. Did he stop so he could take out the flashlight from inside his mouth and talk? Before I could put any more thought into it, I could see the floor of the narrow channel disappear in front of me. Tilting my head up, I saw him grinning with his hand outstretched towards me.

Taking it in my own, I let him help me out and into the larger tunnel. It was a relief to have room to stand up, but it was even darker here with no moonlight coming from the hall. I could see that the path led somewhere, but I couldn't make out much past Jungkook. Still, I looked around the place. It would have been pitch black if not for our flashlights but I could see dirt all around us, from our feet to the uneven ceiling ab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter