A Long Drive

BTS Halloween Special
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung and Reader

Genre: Horror

Word count: 1,542 words

A/N: This story is based on a popular urban legend.

~•~•~•~

"Agh! Whose bright idea was it to take the old road?!" You made a loud noise of frustration when the car bounced over yet another pothole.

"It was yours, remember?" Taehyung answered your rhetorical question calmly, surprisingly still patient. "To avoid the tolls."

His reminder put an end to your complaints. Vocally at least. Leaning back into the passenger seat, you sighed resolutely, then winced as her drove your car over another hole in the poorly maintained road. The idea to take the old, longer route instead of sticking to the highway was yours, but now you were starting to wonder if avoiding the rising toll prices was worth the extra petrol and time taken to travel this road, not to mention the damage your car was taking.

Glancing at Taehyung, who was at the wheel, you bit back the suggestion that had popped up in your mind earlier. He was already driving slow enough, and besides, you were eager to reach campus so you could finally rest properly in a horizontal position. It was way past midnight and you wanted to sleep, but you just couldn't seem to do it in the car. It was also your policy as a co-driver to converse with the driver to keep him company — and more importantly, awake — even though Taehyung had told you to just sleep if you wanted to.

"I can't wait to get there and hit the hay." Taehyung's dreamy statement, giving voice to your inner thoughts prompted you to ask, "Do you want me to take over the driving?"

With a shake of his head and a smile, he turned your offer down. "I'm good. Besides, it's dangerous to stop in the middle of the road."

You snorted in a thoroughly unlady-like manner. "It's not like there's anyone else around." Due to the late hour and the existence of the newly built highway, the road you were using was completely devoid of people. Not that it surprised you. In fact, you'd much rather be on the well-lit highway yourself.

"Oh?"

Just then, Taehyung murmured a sound conveying his surprise at the same time your own eyes registered a pair of car lights approaching from behind. After being in the near darkness for so long with only the light from the moon, your own car and the very occasional street lights to accompany you, the yellow orbs on your rear seemed glaring and out of place. Yet it gave you a sense of camaraderie, of knowing you and Taehyung weren't the only ones braving this path that night.

However, the lights quickly drifted closer and closer until the car was right on your tail. Then they grew in intensity and size, before diminishing and exploding behind you again. This time it was Taehyung who made an irritated sound.

"What does he expect me to do? There is only one lane." His disgruntled complaints filled the car as we were blinded by the flashes. "If he wants to overtake us so much, use the next lane, there's no one around anyway."

Part of you were amused by the fact that he was justifying the car using the lane next to yours meant for vehicles moving in the opposite direction using your earlier reasoning. On the other hand, you were getting annoyed too, so you grunted your approval to his suggestion.

Taehyung inched your car towards the shoulder of the road, trying to convey to the vehicle behind you his intention. Thankfully it was easily understood, and the car drove swiftly past using the other lane, re-entered yours then sped off into the night.

The excitement quickly died down after that, and yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter