new student

Gen. Academy

The auditorium is filled with people wearing their uniform. It was filled with noises of cheers, shouting the name of their school.
In the middle of the crowd, there was stage. And on the stage are the elite students. Students who were respected. Students who were always on the top list.

It only takes a single announcement and the auditorium turned silent. Everyone went focus. Buttons were ready, minds were ready. A question was presented, and like any other quiz challenge, competitive top students will always compete.

-----

A girl went out of the cab, and after paying her ride, she proceed walking with her luggage with her. She was greeted by the guards as she went into the academy of her choice.

She took a deep breath.

"I guess this is a new start" she took a deep breath and let out a smile.
She examine the building infront of her then a tarp catches her eyes.

It was a picture of a student holding a trophe with medals hanging on her neck. On the upper part of the tarp, there says 'Congratulations'.

"Smart, I guess" she shrugged then she entered the building.

-----

Chaeyeon had a chat with someone outside their classroom, more like gossiping. After the gossip session, she went back into the classroom where she run towards her friend.

"Hey Yuna, have you heard? A student is transferring in"

"So?" Yuna, who was busy with her nails, asked with disinterest

"I heard that this student consistently ranked first in her previous school" Yuna sigh and glance at Chaeyeon with her cold eyes.

"The hell I care about that whoever person it is. I am Choi Yuna. I'm an elite. I can get what I want, and no one can beat me" she turn to look at her side where her classmate who just won the national quiz bee is sitting.
"Even that Yewon couldn't beat me" Chaeyeon gulp when Yuna started to glare at Yewon.

-----

"You must be Jung Yerin" the man smiled at Yerin as he gave her the key of her new dorm.
"I'm Ahn Jun-mo, the principal of this academy. If you have any concerns, don't hesitate to approach me " Yerin smiled at him

"Nice meeting you, sir"

"I'm glad that you chose our school out of all the pretigious academies out there"

"Before I had my flight back here in Seoul, I did my research to some schools here and I guess, this academy fits me" the man smiled in satisfaction.

"We'll give you the learnings that you need"

"No worries" a knock from the door was heard and a lady in glasses opened the door.

"Oh, miss Lee. Come in" the lady did went in then took a glance at Yerin.

"I guess this is my new student" she said as she pointed Yerin

"Ah yeah. It's Jung Yerin" the man introduced. Yerin quickly stood and bowed at the lady.
"Her first class will start now. You may bring her to your class miss Lee" Yerin looked at the man with curious face

"Am I not supposed to start tomorrow? I still need to unpack my luggage in my new dorm"

"Just leave your luggage here. The utility will bring your luggage to your dorm, and you're gonna unpack your things right after your class" the man explained

"Don't worry, on your first day all you need is to familiarize your teachers. Also, to familiarize the class you're in" the lady added

"Oh that, by the way, which class am I in?"

"My class. The elite" the lady said.

-----

Inside the class of the elites, Yerin was introduced by miss Lee. And as expected, different people means different personalities, therefore Yerin recieved different sort of reactions.

By just hearing the word elite, Yerin knew that she's into a class wherein competition of grades are common. She already knew that she's going to deal with kids full of pride and self-confidence. Kids who always crave to be the best. Kids who will never let their guards off.

Sitting at the edge and back portion of the classroom, Yerin can see all of her new classmates infront of her. As miss Lee started her lesson, everyone had their notes on desk, writing every important details like as if it's gonna be a huge missed to them if they have even just a missing detail.
Yerin chuckled in mind. She's already used to this. Infact, she've already seen more of it in her previous school. But somehow the feeling is like as if everything is new to her.

"Jung Yerin-ssi?" Yerin's attention was caught by miss Lee
"Were you listening to me?" Yerin looked at the board behind the teacher and since she seem to recognize the lesson, with no hesitation, she nod.
"If that's so, will you please tell me the z-test formula" Yerin stood from her chair with confidence.

"z-score is equals to the sample mean minus the population mean over standard deviation over the square root of the sample size."

"Amazing. But I thought you were listening" Yerin frown
"Actually miss Jung, I was just introducing the types of hypothesis testing and I haven't even told the formula of the z-test yet. So if I may ask you, is there something you can hear that we don't?" Yerin is about to answer when a sweet voice coming from someome interrupted her.

"She must have been already introduced to this lesson in her previous school." Yerin looked at the girl and immediately recognizes her face. It was the girl on the tarp placed on the academy's building.

"Are you even sure with your own assumptions?" Yuna asked

"Other than that, I can't find any other reasonable excuse for her not to listen" Yuna smirked

"Well you have a point. Being introduced to a lesson earlier may be an advantage but, that doesn't make her smart." Yuna shrugged
"Right, Yewon?" She asked with a grin

"I don't think it's necessary for me to answer." Yuna's grin towards Yewon turns into a glare.
"If I may ask miss Lee, shall we now proceed to our lesson?" miss Lee smiled in satisfaction and signalled Yerin to sit downbefore she proceeds in discussing.

Yerin stared at Yewon in amusement.

'Cool' she thought. She never noticed that she was already staring at Yewon, not until Yewon turn her head to look at her.

"What?" Yewon mouthed. Yerin smiled at her

"Thanks" Yerin mouthed back. Yewon smiled at her before she gave her attention back to miss Lee.