Chapter 5

All my friends are heathens

At first, Candy was glad to see Youngbae's familiar face from afar and that he was coming closer to her. However, when she noticed he was walking strangely fast and he then pulled her by the hand, she started to worry.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"We gotta go." Her boyfriend whispered in an urgent tone. "I talked to Jiyong and tried to convince him to let you be but I failed. Now he wants to talk to you and I know he'll use any pretext to make you one of his slaves. Dae!" he called his friend as they reached the exit door.

"Are you okay?" the friendly zombie asked with a concerned look. "Did you talk to Jiyong? What did he say?"

"Listen." He said and handed her to Daesung. "Take her to the surface. And don't bring her back here."

"What? No!" Candy exclaimed, outraged. "What are you doing? I wanna stay here with you! Let me talk to Jiyong!"

"You don't know him!" Youngbae whispered-yelled to her before he raised her chin with his index and spoke in a softer voice. "I knew I shouldn't have let you come with me. It's okay, I'll be with you soon. For now I must stay here and gain some time before-"

"Where are you guys going? The party's just begun." He heard a familiar, irritating voice behind him ask casually.

Looking at the werewolf smirking behind Youngbae, a part of Candy was glad they had no choice but to stay. However, she felt a pang of sadness looking at her boyfriend's defeated eyes which never left hers.

"Go." He whispered to her and gave Daesung a pleading look.

"Daesung." They heard the teenager's warning tone.

As Youngbae suddenly shouted something, she felt less comfortable when a pair of ice cold dead hands gripped on her frail shoulders and a puff of putrid breath brushed her neck.

"Daesung! What are you doing?"

"Sorry, hyung." The zombie muttered sadly. "You know I can't go against an order from Jiyong."

The vampire stood frozen in place as his friend's sharp rotten teeth remained millimeters away from the human skin.

"Let's go, guys. He's waiting."

As Daesung handed the girl to the werewolf –whose hands was warmer but way less gentle- the three of them slowly moved back in the crowd who stepped away to let them pass as they all seemed aware of what was happening, as if it had been programmed.

"Wait!" a voice said and the undead Top approached the human. "It's cold in there for mortals. You'll need this." He said and ed his cape before wrapping it around her.

"Thank you." she said in a small voice, which broke Youngbae's heart. Even in their most intimate moments, she would rarely let her voice sound so weak.

As she and Top then exchanged looks however, the latter's eyes were neither sorry nor pitiful. It seemed he too was only following a script. A script only he and the girl knew as she gave him the same knowing look before her guardian knocked on Jiyong's door and they entered.