Chapter 7 (end)

All my friends are heathens

Like a sick mother giving birth to horrible babies, the tomb abruptly opened and dozens of undead creatures scurried out, yelling and agonizing. However, they hissed again at the rising sun at the horizon and had no choice but to keep running, hiding and burying themselves in the last shadows of the early morning. After a while, the desert cemetery was quiet again and a staggering figure of a young woman came out, her face and clothes blackened by smoke and ashes. However, a pale arm pulled her back and made her turn around.

"Candy, wait!"

Hiding in the darkness of the tomb, Youngbae looking up at her, frustrated that he couldn't follow her any further. The girl looked at him, her expression drastically different from the ones he knew of her. Her voice was also different:

"My name is not Candy. It's Julia. I pretended to be in love with you so you would get me inside. I'm sorry I had to use you like this, sir. But it was the only way I could get to Jiyong and avenge my family."

As she tried to walk away again, he pulled her by her jacket and hissed in pain as he had to withdraw his arm quickly from the deathly rays of sun.

"What are you gonna do now?"

"The girl I borrowed this body from," she said, glancing at the cut on her wrist, "I must go give it back to her before she wakes up. She thinks she's just a sleepwalker. And I don't want to hurt her anymore."

"Will I ever see you again?"

At this question, Julia froze and stared at the young man at his feet. It was hard for her to see how dedicated he had been to her ever since they met, and how even now he was trying to reach her even if it meant he had to go through a great amount of pain.

"I don't know. In another life, maybe." she sighed. "You're a sweet guy. And I had a great time with you tonight, as weird as it sounds." she chuckled. "But I don't want to steal another body again. I've been wandering out for too long. I want to see my parents again. I want to be reborn. So—I don't know. Wait for me if you think it's worth it. But I'll be okay if you ever stop because you're tired of-"

"I'll wait." Youngbae cut her off. "The one thing you should know now about vampires, miss, is that we are very patient." he said and smiled "I know what it feels like to wander aimlessly for what seems like an eternity. I've been looking for centuries for something, anything, anyone who would make me feel—human again. So find peace first, and then we'll start again. I can't wait to know you more, Julia."

Staring at his confident expression, the ghost smiled and took his ice-cold hand to squeeze it in her warm mortal one.

"Happy Halloween, Youngbae."

"Good night, sweet princess."

The End.