Chapter 2

All my friends are heathens

The cemetery was silent tonight. As the drowsy guardian watched a couple Goth kids come closer, he pointed at them with his flashlight, stood from his chair with a snort and shooed them away from the closed gate.

"Go back home, kids, it's too late for visits." he grunted. "Let the good people rest in peace. It's their day, after all."

"Please sir, let us pass! We just wanna take a peek!" Candy pleaded cutely. "It's not like we're gonna drink beer and dance on the tombs... today. We're just working on an art project. We're good guys, I swear!"

"I said go home, kid." the older man replied coldly, pointing his flashlight so close to her face she stepped back, blinded, before his boyfriend took over, locking eyes with the grumpy man.

"The lady said: Let us pass."

Somehow incapable of resisting his dark yet soothing voice, wide-eyed, the guardian slowly took out his keys and opened the rusty gate, even holding it for them as they went through.

"Thank you, sir!" Candy said and blew him a kiss as the gate creaked behind them and the guardian went back to his chair and fell into a deep slumber.

"It's here."

Holding hands, walking carefully among the graves, they both stopped in front the only one with no name that just said "To Daesung - Till death do us part".

"You sure you want to do this?"

"I told you, I'm sure. Come on, they must be waiting for us!" Candy said, wiggling excitedly.

"Stop it. This is not a game." Youngbae scolded her with a stern voice. "When we are inside, I don't know if I'll be able to protect you. Some of them can be quite unpredictable. If it wasn't for me, most of them would eat you, you, and god knows what else. So stay close to me, don't lock eyes with anyone and watch your tongue. Understand?"

"Got it, boss."

"Ok." Youngbae said and took a deep breath. "Here we go."

At these words, he extended a hand towards the golden crucifix affixed to the marble stele and turned it upside down. Suddenly, they both heard a clicking noise and the heavy plaque slightly shook before splitting in two and opening on a white narrow staircase leading to more darkness. As Youngbae went down first, he turned towards his girlfriend, as immobile as a statue, and gave her his hand.

"Come on. It's too late to go back now."

"I know," she said casually -though he saw her bite her lips- "I just want to make sure I won't break my neck before we reach the bottom, that's all."

She then took his hand and followed him, stifling a gasp as she heard the plaque close on them and the last ray of moonlight disappeared behind her head