Chapter 5

Heartless

Author POV

The next day, Jungkook and Yoongi got up early to get ready for school so that when Taehyung would come to go to school together he wouldn’t have to wait. Jungkook is unusually happy this morning, therefore, he doesn’t see that Yoongi is looking at him warily, with concern. He’s enjoying his cereals as if it’s the best food in the world, he dresses like he’s going to some fashion event and Yoongi would have been looking fondly at him if he didn’t know about the meaning behind Jungkook’s tears.

When Taehyung arrives, Jin calls him to the kitchen so he could tell him about what he discovered.

“Are you sure?” Taehyung asks him.

“Absolutely.”

“Okay then. I’ll try to use my feature but I can’t promise you anything.”

“Why?”

“Because Jimin is something else. I can’t really explain it to you but I have some difficulties to use my feature on him.”

“Okay. Anyway, I’ll see you tonight, I have to go see Joon to talk to him about it.” Jin says before kissing Taehyung.

“See you honey.” Taehyung says and goes to find Yoongi and Jungkook.

“Tae! Come on, we gotta go to school! We can’t be late!” Jungkook exclaims when he sees Taehyung.

“I’m coming! But we’re quite early to be honest, I’m used to waiting for both of you so it’s really quite unusual to see you prepared so early.” Taehyung says as Jungkook grabs his hand and begins to run towards the door.

“Kook, you’re forgetting your bag.” Yoongi tells the excited boy.

“Oh yeah.” he says, letting go of Taehyung’s hand and running to grab his bag before grabbing his best friend’s hand and running back to Tae, grabbing once more his hand as well. “Bye Jin hyung!” Jungkook screams to his brother before opening the door and walking towards school.

“Why are you so excited today Jungkookie?” Taehyung asks.

“Because I’m going to see Jimin! I have to make my first move!” Jungkook replies.

“Kook, I think you have to slow down a bit.” Yoongi begins. Jungkook looks at him, confused.

“What? What do you mean?”

“I mean that you just met him, he doesn’t even know you. You should be careful.” Yoongi explains.

“But that’s why I should make my first move. I should do what I can to get closer to him so that we can become friends and get to know each other. And I don’t have to be careful, he’s my soulmate.” Jungkook says, laughing. “Relax Yoongi.” Yoongi sighs deeply before looking at Taehyung who shakes his head.

They arrive at school in no time since Jungkook had spent the whole walk trailing his two friends behind him, walking at light speed. He stopped just in front of the wide-open gate, letting go of his friends’ hands, making sure that he is looking okay before searching for Jimin.

“There! He’s there!” he exclaims, pointing in the human’s direction. “And Hoseok is there too!” he adds, elbowing Yoongi.

“Jungkook, look at me.” Taehyung suddenly says, in an unusual serious tone. Jungkook immediately looks at him. Taehyung blinks and looks straight into Jungkook’s eyes.

“Be careful. You don’t know what humans are capable of. Your heart beats for only one person but theirs is different. Do not act recklessly and be sure of your and Jimin’s feelings before doing anything.” Taehyung warns him.

“Don’t worry. I know how to handle all of this.” Jungkook brushes him off and walks towards Jimin and Hoseok.

“Good morning! How are you today?” he asks loudly just as he gets in front of the two boys.

“Hi Jungkook! I’m doing fine! But how are you doing? You were quite unwell yesterday.” Jimin replies.

“I’m absolutely fine now, don’t worry.” Jungkook replies, feeling tears welling up in his eyes at the sight of Jimin’s smile. “I-I’m sorry but I gotta go to the bathroom. See you later!” he says before running into the building to the closest bathroom.

Taehyung and Yoongi quickly approach the two friends as they see Jungkook running away.

“What happened?” Taehyung asks Jimin.

“I don’t know, we were talking and he suddenly told me that he needed to use the bathroom.” Jimin says, looking at Yoongi afterwards. “How are you Yoongi?” he asks.

“I’m okay thank you.” Yoongi coldly replies.

“You know you don’t have to be rude with Jimin. He didn’t do anything to you or Jungkook.” Hoseok says, unpleased by how Yoongi acts with his friend.

“I’m sorry.” Yoongi apologized.

“Well, it’s been some time guys! How’s school been going?” Taehyung asks his friends, acting like nothing happened.

“Quite okay, I guess. Jimin already had a million crushes.” Hoseok replies, smiling softly as they all walk towards the building.

“That’s not true! Only a few ones.” Jimin states.

“Is there someone who really caught your eye though? One that you’d like to, I don’t know... build something with?” Taehyung asks.

“I don’t know. Not really.” Jimin says, shrugging. The bell then rings. “We should go if we don’t wanna be late now!”

“You’re right. Let’s go.” Yoongi says. “See you later Tae.” he says and begins to walk to class, soon followed by Hoseok whereas the other two go their own ways.

When Jimin arrives in class, he sees Jungkook already seated down, waiting for the teacher while doodling.

“You’re very talented!” Jimin compliments him as he sits down beside him.

“Thanks.” Jungkook replies, offering the best smile he had practiced before going to sleep yesterday. “Do draw too?”

“I do. But I’m not as talented as you are though. I have other hobbies too.”

“Could you tell me about them later? At lunch for example.” Jungkook asks, full of hope.

“Of course. The teacher will soon be here anyway.” Jimin answers and just then, the teacher enters the classroom.

 

At Namjoon’s house

“Come in, hyung. It’s been ages!” Namjoon exclaims as he lets Jin inside.

“It’s been two weeks Joon.” Jin says, giggling.

“Two long weeks! Anyway, what are you doing here?” he asks as they sit down in the living room.

“Well, Yoongi and Jungkook found their soulmates apparently.” Jin begins.

“That’s great! They should be so enthusiastic!”

“They are. Jungkook is over the moon. But there’s something that worries me.”

“What is it? Who is it about?”

“It’s about Jungkook.” Jin says and Namjoon nods. “When he met Jimin, his soulmate, he cried. After some researches, I found out that if you cry, it means that you’ll hurt a lot while trying to get with them.” Jin explains, waiting for Namjoon’s reaction.

“Well, I’ve seen this case once since I’ve been born.” Namjoon states, getting serious.

“What happened?”

“The girl was Heartless as well. The guy that was supposed to be her mate got married with another girl. It was absolutely horrible.” Namjoon tells Jin.

“Did she die?” Namjoon nods. “Is there something that we can do for Jungkook?” Jin asks, tears welling up in his eyes.

“I don’t know. But Jungkook is stubborn, he won’t give up. Don’t worry. Though it could have some effects on him.”

“What kind?”

“You know that when your heart begins to beat, you feel emotions like humans do. The thing is that you also suffer some things that you couldn’t when your heart didn’t beat. Mental issues, for example. He could fall into depression, suffer from anxiety but also a lot of other things.”

“Is there a lot of chances for it to happen?”

“It depends on the person. I should see if Taehyung is ready to help us with it.” Namjoon says, getting up.

“Okay, let me send him a text.” Jin says, getting up as well. He is worried but decides to not make conclusions for now. He doesn’t know what can happen.

 

At lunch

“I didn’t know you could sing so well! He sings well, right?” Jungkook exclaims as Jimin is done singing.

“He does. I really like his voice. It’s soothing.” Yoongi replies.

“Thanks, Yoongi. Hobi sings really well too.” Jimin states.

“Jimin...” Hoseok warns his friend.

“I’d really like to hear you sing.” Jungkook says, looking with big round eyes at Hoseok. The latter sighs, shooting daggers at Jimin.

“I won’t sing.” he says, taking a bit of his sandwich.

“I want to hear you sing Hoseok. Could you please?” Yoongi softly asks. Hoseok looks at him and when his eyes meet Yoongi’s, he freezes. He’s looking at him so softly, he can’t help but nod.

“Okay... But I’m really bad at singing and that’s all Jimin’s fault.” he mumbles. “함께 하는 느낌이 좋아, 너와; 함께 하는 춤들이 좋아, 너와; I just wanna, wanna, wanna; I really wanna, wanna, wanna; Just da~nce.” When he finishes, Yoongi’s looking at him with wide eyes.

“You sing so well! Why did you lie about your singing skills?” Jungkook exclaims first.

“Pff, you’re just being kind with me-”

“No. You’re very talented Hoseok.” Yoongi cuts, his voice unbelievably low. Hoseok is shocked by the change of voice but also by the new glint that appeared in Yoongi’s eyes. He feels a shiver run down his spine and looks down.

“Thank you.” He only mumbles before quickly finishing his sandwich and flying out of the cafeteria.

Jungkook looks insistently at Yoongi before turning to look at Jimin.

“Jimin, would you like to go out tonight?” he asks, beaming.

“Yeah, why not?” Jimin answers, loving the smile that grew on Jungkook’s face. “Where will we be going?”

“I don’t know... wanna come to my house?” Jungkook shyly asks.

“Yeah, that could be cool! But we should really finish our meals quickly and go to class, the bell is going to ring soon.” Jimin says, looking at his watch. Obviously, a few minutes later, as they are finally satiated, the bell rings. They get up and go to class.

 

After the last class, Jungkook and Jimin go to the younger’s house, just as they talked during lunch. They don’t talk much during the walk because Yoongi is with them and he doesn’t seem in a very good mood.

When, they finally arrive, they are greeted by Jin, who is all smiles.

“Hello Jungkookie, Yoongi! And you brought a friend!” he exclaims.

“Hyung, meet Jimin!” Jungkook says and Jin frozes for a bit before extending his hand.

“Hello Jimin, I’m Jin, Jungkook’s older brother.”

Jimin takes his hand, a radiant smile on his face.

“I’m Jimin, Jungkook’s new friend and classmate.” he answers.

“Hyung, we’ll be in my room. Come on Jimin.” Jungkook says before dragging Jimin upstairs.

Jin and Yoongi go to sit in the kitchen.

“So, how has your day been?” the older asks.

“Okay, I guess. Tae told me you went to see Namjoon hyung. How did it go?”

“He told me a lot of things and I’m quite worried to be honest. But let’s wait for him, he’ll explain everthing to you. He went to fetch Tae.”

“By the way, where was he the whole afternoon?” Yoongi asks, looking around as if Tae would pop out from nowhere.

“Family issues at home, he had to go.” Jin simply says.

“Okay....” Yoongi trails on. “I’m a bit hungry. Do you have something to eat?”

“I have Oreos if you want.” Jin says, opening a drawer and getting a pack of Oreos out of it.

“Thanks.” Yoongi smiles, opening the pack gleefully.

 

In Jungkook’s room

“Your brother is very handsome.” Jimin states as he’s sitting in front of Jungkook on the latter’s bed.

“He knows, he calls himself ‘worldwide handsome’. Kinda annoying to be honest, but I love him.” Jungkook replies.

“Do your parents work late?”

“My parents are... dead.” Jungkook says. He suddenly feels pain in his chest, making clunch his shirt just above his heart. He then begins to cry. It feels so foreign to cry over his parents’ death, Jungkook hates that. He realises that his mom won’t sweetly kiss his forehead before going to sleep anymore, that he won’t ever be able to go fishing with his father. He wanted to know what it felt like to enjoy things with his parents. He can’t stop the tears escaping his eyes at the moment.

“I’m sorry Jungkook, I didn’t know.” Jimin says, immediately regretting his question. He goes to take Jungkook in his arms, hoping that the tears will stop like they did yesterday but they don’t.

“I-I’m so-rry." Jungkook hiccups between sobs.

“I understand. You surely loved them a lot.”

I don’t know’ is what Jungkook wants to say but instead, he just nods. He likes being in Jimin’s embrace, he feels warm and safe in his arms.

“How long has it been if it’s not too much to ask?” Jimin softly asks as he lets Jungkook go when he sees that he has calmed down a bit.

“Ten years. But it feels like it was yesterday that I heard them come back home from work.” Jungkook says, his voice hoarse.

“Let’s change the subject Jungkook. Mmh... What are your hobbies?” JImin asks.

“My hobbies?” Jungkook looks at Jimin wide-eyed. He hasn’t thought about it! He didn’t feel anything until now so he doesn’t know what he likes or not. “I don’t know. I’m not really sure.” he answers.

“What? But what do you do when you have free time?” Jimin asks, bewildered.

Jungkook thinks about it. He reads that book about humans all the time. He thinks about what the pages feels like between his fingers, how it smells.

“I think I like reading books. Paper ones, not digital ones.” he answers.

“I like reading too! Digital books are the worst!” Jimin says before giggling. “Do you have another hobby?”

Jungkook is nervous but he thinks about it again when he suddenly remembers something.

“I used to sing when I was younger. But hyung said that even though I had a good voice, I couldn’t sing for the world.” Jungkook admits.

“Let me hear you sing, I’ll tell you if your hyung is right or not!” Jimin exclaims.

Jungkook only know one song. Lost stars by Adam Levine. He remembers that the lyrics talk about the reason of our presence on this planet. So, he tries to ask himself the same question and eventually starts to sing.

Please, don’t see, just a boy caught up in dreams and fantasies.

Please, see me, reaching out for someone I can’t see.

Take my hand, let’s see where we wake up tomorrow.

Best laid plans sometimes are just a one-night stand.

I’d be damned, Cupid’s demanding back his arrow.

So, let’s get drunk on our tears and...

God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young.

It's hunting season and the lambs are on the run,

Searching for meaning.

But are we all lost stars, trying to light up the dark?”

When Jungkook finishes, Jimin is staring at him in awe for some moments before he smiles.

“You definitely have a wonderful voice Jungkook. But Jin hyung was totally wrong. You sing amazingly well. The emotion is so raw, it’s like you wrote the song yourself! You seem to understand the lyrics perfectly!” Jimin praises Jungkook, making him blush.

“Thank you so much.” he shyly responds before trying to find out more about his hobbies, along with Jimin.

 

In the meantime, in the kitchen

“We’re finally back!” Namjoon shouts as he enters the house.

“Joon-ah, in the kitchen!” Jin shouts. Some seconds later, Namjoon enters the kitchen with Taehyung.

“Hey, Yoongi. How are you bud’?” Namjoon asks, taking Yoongi in his arms.

“Fine. Worried but alright.” The younger answers.

“I know. Well, if you may sit down Taehyung.” Namjoon says, sitting down around the counter as well. “So, as you know, Jungkook found his soulmate. However, he was crying when he met him and thus, we should do everything that is possible to protect him. There are several cases that can happen and I want you all to hear them all. Should I begin from the best or worst case?” he asks.

“The best.” Taehyung says.

“Okay. The best case is that Jungkook won’t suffer too much. He will, at most, be very sad from time to time until he gets with Jimin.”

“Then?” Yoongi asks, urging him to continue.

“Well, from that point, it would go downhill. He could begin to isolate himself, stop eating, stop hanging out. He could fall into depression or develop anxiety. Or worse.” Namjoon explains.

“What can we do about it?” Taehyung asks.

“Well, you’ll have different roles. Jin hyung’s will be to look over him at home. Seeing if he eats well, if he sleeps enough, things like this. Yoongi will have to do the same but at school. Maybe he shares more things with you than with Jin hyung. You’ll have to listen to him.” Namjoon says and Yoongi nods.

“What about me?” Taehyung asks again.

“You, Taehyungie, will have to use your ability on both Jimin and Jungkook.”

“I can’t.” Taehyung says.

“Tae, you have to do it for Jungkook.” Jin tells him.

“I know, but I can’t. I already tried with Jimin but it doesn’t work. And if Jungkook ever discovers what I’m trying to do, he’ll close his mind.” Taehyung explains.

“What do you mean it doesn’t work on Jimin?” Namjoon asks. “I’m the only human on which it doesn’t work.”

“I don’t know. It works perfectly on Hoseok though. We should find out what’s the problem.” Taehyung says.

“Well, until then, let’s stay concentrated on our tasks.” Jin says. “By the way Joon, Jimin is upstairs with Jungkook. Should I go see what they’re doing?” he asks.

“Won’t it be better if Yoongi goes to check on them?” Namjoon states, turning towards Yoongi.

“I’ll go.” He says, slowly getting up and going upstairs.

When he’s in front of the door, he hears laughs. He opens the door to find Jimin and Jungkook on the floor, laughing out loud.

“What’s up?” Yoongi asks, approaching his friend.

“Oh my gosh, Yoongs, you should see Jimin’s imitation of Jung JuRi.” Jungkook says, breathless.

“Oh no! I won’t do it ever again!” Jimin whines. Yoongi smiles.

“It’s okay, I won’t force you to.” He says, going to sit on Jungkook’s bed. “What have you been doing until now?”

“We’ve been talking about our hobbies. Did you know that Jungkook could sing? He has a beautiful voice.” Jimin states.

“I didn’t know. I’d love to hear you sing Kook.”

“Maybe later. I’ll see.” Jungkook replied, blushing.

“What are your hobbies Yoongi?” Jimin asks.

“Well, I don’t know. I don’t enjoy a lot of things to be honest. I like lying down the most.” Yoongi replies as he remembers how good it felt when he lied down the last evening.

Jimin laughed out loud.

“That’s quite a unique hobby!”

Yoongi softens at his laugh, finding it cute. Jungkook smiles at his friend before going to sit besides him.

“Yoongs, is Tae back? Where was he? I missed him!”

“He’s back but he’s busy right now. Namjoon hyung is here too, do you wanna talk to him?”

“Yes! Jimin, come with me, I’ll introduce you to a very dear friend of mine.” Jungkook says as he goes out of the room, followed by Yoongi and Jimin.

He arrives in the living room, jumping on Namjoon’s back.

“Joonie hyung!” he exclaims.

“Kookie! Get down, you’re heavy!” Namjoon complains.

Jungkook gets down and hugs Namjoon tight for some moments.

“I missed you! You suddenly disappeared last time!” Jungkook says with a pout.

“I know. But I had very important things to take care of.” Namjoon replies and looks behind the younger. “You’ve got a friend home I see.”

“Yes, this is Jimin, my new friend.” Jungkook says, taking Namjoon closer to Jimin.

“Hello, Jimin. I’m Namjoon. I’m a close friend of the family.” Namjoon introduces.

“I’m Jimin, Jungkook’s new friend and classmate.” Jimin says, bowing.

“I hope Jungkook doesn’t bother you too much.” Namjoon jokes, making Jungkook whine.

“Nah, he’s cute. We’re slowly getting to know each other since we’re going to spend the whole year in the same class.” Jimin says before looking at his watch. “Heol, I should go home or my mom will kill me!” he exclaims, turning to Jungkook. “If you’ll excuse me, I’ll get my bag and go home.” He states, going back to Jungkook’s room before coming back down.

“See you tomorrow Jimin!” Jungkook exclaims and Jimin smiles, waving at him before getting out of the house.

“So, how do you like Jimin, Jungkook?” Namjoon asks.

“He’s perfect! No wonder he’s my soulmate! We have so much in common and I really like his personality.” Jungkook answers, his face radiating with happiness.

“I’m glad you’re so happy Jungkook. But still, be careful. We never what can happen.” Namjoon says, patting Jungkook on the back.

“Hyung, everything will go well! We’re destined to be together!” the younger replies, laughing.

“Anyway. Jin, can I stay for dinner?” Namjoon asks.

“Of course! I’m not letting you go so quickly!” Jin states, dragging his best friend to the kitchen.

Yoongi looks at Jungkook.

“Kook-ah.” He says and Jungkook hums, turning to face him. “If something ever happens, will you tell me?”

“Nothing will happen Yoongs.” Jungkook replies.

“I know. But if it somehow does, will you tell me about it?” Yoongi asks again, serious.

“Of course. We’re brothers forever dude.” Jungkook says. Yoongi smiles and hugs Jungkook tight, praying for his happiness.


Author's Note :

Oh my gosh, an update ! I can't believe it !! It's short but I hope you still enjoyed it !

So I don't really know what to do next, I kinda wanted to have a point of view from the inside or maybe tell the backstory of someone ? I'm hesitating between Jimin and Hoseok, could you vote to tell me which one you'd prefer ? And don't hesitate to tell me what you thought of this chapter !^^ Take care lovelies !!