Chapter 5

The Future Wife

Taeyeon smiles when she sees how Jessica panics as she wakes up late for work. Feeling like being a nice soul for today, she gives Jessica her breakfast which earns herself a high pitched squeal that sounds like 'thank you oh god' or something, she is not sure. She watches the girl eats happily yet sloppily and she scoffs; how come a 29 years old woman can still continue eating with strawberry jam smeared at the corner of her lips?


"Hey," Taeyeon calls out, making Jessica looks at her and she instantly points at the corner of her lips. Realising what the girl has meant, Jessica's face flushed with embarrassment and she quickly wipes the jam away with a tissue paper. Taeyeon chuckles before she stands up and goes to make herself another toast, unaware of how Jessica looks at her weirdly but still, her corner of lips tug upwards too without her knowing.


What Taeyeon has realised after living with Jessica for another 2 weeks is how Jessica would come back sooner from the club and how her meetings with her 'friends' become lesser over time. When she asked about it, the latter simply glared at her and mentioned how work had been taking a toll on her so as much as she wanted to do so, she couldn't. She remembered how she teased the younger girl about how those boys didn't see her as attractive as she used to and earned a painful smack on her back.


She doesn't want to admit but she starts to admire the girl for her passion for her job. She saw how the girl jogged to get her tablet to work on something in the middle of watching a Korean drama and when she peeked at it, the girl was doing her work. She also doesn't want to admit but she grows to like living with the younger girl.


+++


Jessica stares at her Television lifelessly and Taeyeon wants to laugh at how dead the other girl looks. Plopping next to the girl, the older one grabs the remote and switches the channel, earning a groan from the younger one.


"Yah, don't change it. I was watching that," Jessica scowls.


"You should go to sleep, really," Taeyeon chuckles as she looks at the girl who's glaring at her. "You look dead," she continues, earning a weak smack on her thigh. "You can't even hit me properly," she scoffs in amusement as the other girl ignores her and leans her head on the headrest. "Do you need me to carry you to bed?" she asks and the latter turns her head towards her and stares at her. "Is that a yes?" she knits her eyebrows in confusion. "Why are you making me talk to myself?" she scowls and finally hears a soft chuckle as a respond.


"If you want to," Jessica replies uninterestedly and Taeyeon scoffs. She takes Jessica's right hand and puts it around her shoulder then put her other arm goes below her knees, earning a shriek from the girl.


"Such a spoiled girl," Taeyeon smiles at her as she carries the girl to her bedroom. Feeling a little bit naughty, she squats down in an instant before getting back up, making the latter thinks that she is about to fall.


"YAH!" Jessica shouts at her before smacking her back, earning a loud laughter from the shorter girl. "Yah, don't laugh. Your body is shaking when you laugh, I don't want to fall, you dummy," she scowls, earning a soft chuckle from the latter.


"I won't drop you, princess," Taeyeon mutters with a smile plasters on her face, earning a scoff from the younger girl. They don't talk anymore until she gently lay Jessica on her bed.


"Thanks, wife,"


"Anytime," Taeyeon winks at her, earning a pillow shoved against her face.


"Out, I'm tired," she mumbles into another pillow and the older girl just scoffs in amusement. Taeyeon returns the pillow that is now in her hold, next to the other pillow before going outside Jessica's room. The younger girl put her hand on her heart and frowns when it is beating fast. What the hell, she scowls. Must be because I was scared that she’d drop me. Yeah, that must be it. She is about to fall asleep when her phone vibrates, she checks it and she sighs as she reads the message:


I haven't seen you for so long

Don't you miss me?

I'm in your basement


If Jessica wants to be honest to this guy, Ok Taecyeon, then she'd say that she doesn't. Maybe a bit but not really. Ok, she knows she misses his body but then that's it; she just loves to stare at his abs and trails her fingers on it. She is about to ignore the message when her phone vibrates again.


Please?

You're the first person I think of when the plane landed in Korea

Groaning, she walks to her walk-in wardrobe to get a maroon sweater and a pair of skinny jeans to change her clothes. She stares at her reflection in the full-length mirror before she decides to apply a little make up. Grabbing her handbag, she exits her bedroom only to stop when Taeyeon's voice is heard.


"Where are you going? I thought you're tired?" Taeyeon knits her eyebrows in confusion and frowns. "If you need anything then you can tell me to buy it, Sica, I don't mind," she continues, not realising how she just called the girl with a nickname. Jessica stares at her weirdly at the given nickname before she gives her a small wave with a smile.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Jessica mutters, exiting their shared penthouse. Taeyeon slumps on the couch as she sees the door closes and she sighs. Why does she feel disappointed? Usually, she’d feel annoyed because the girl doesn’t change her habit but this time, she feels disappointed. She’s upset.

Meanwhile for the architect, she earns herself a French kiss as soon as she enters the actor's BMW. She puts her hands on his chest to stop him from kissing her and it works; she tells him to drive away. Jessica leans back on her seat before sighing and looking out the window. She knows she is too lazy to do whatever the guy wants today but knowing she's the first person that he finds after he reaches Korea makes her feel a bit guilty if she doesn't agree to what he wants to; they haven't met for quite some time anyway.

Once they reach his penthouse, Jessica has expected that Taecyeon would pin her body somewhere and kisses her but the guy asks her to sit down on the couch instead while he takes 2 glasses of wine and her favourite Dom Perignon Brut Vintage. This makes her confused as hell; did something happen in LA?

"I can't do this anymore," Taecyeon pours the wine to fill the first empty glass before pouring it over to the other.

"You can't wait to see me because you're breaking up with me?" Jessica quirks a single eyebrow and chuckles before swirling the glass in her hold. "You could've dumped me over a text, Taec, I wouldn't have any hard feelings for that. I know we're just buddies-"

"I can't wait to break off my engagement for you," he cuts her as he sits down next to her, eyes staring at the black TV screen.

"You what?" Jessica scoffs in disbelief. "We had an agreement, Taec. We would never take this relationship seriously, it's just an outlet for us to release our ual frustrations, you know it," she sips on her wine. "Did you have a fight?"

"We were friends before all this friends with benefits thingy started, I had feelings for you back then and I didn't want you to keep on thinking about Y-"

"Don't ever mention that name again," she glares at him.

"I let you use me just so that you could forget about her, Jess," Taecyeon holds her hand and this makes her look at him. "I thought by getting myself attached to Shinhye I'd be able to let go of my feeling for you but I couldn't; it gets stronger and stronger every time you'd look at me when we make love, every time you tell me not to cuddle with you because that's not what friends-with benefits do and every time you tell me that-"

"I'm getting married,"

"What?" He hisses before chuckling. "Jess, stop making up lies-"

"It was an arranged marriage," she sighs and releasing her hand from Taecyeon’s. "She lives in my unit currently and at first you wouldn't know how much I want to kick her out of my house but I grow to feel so comfortable around her," she looks down to the wine swirling inside her glass. "I did tell you that this 'friends' thingy would end once I get married to someone, right?"

"Jess, I-"

"Thank you for the wine, take care," she gives him a kiss on his forehead that lasts for a several second and she hopes that he'd get what she is trying to tell him: it was great while it lasted. When he doesn’t chase after her, she smiles. She prays to all gods out there that he can find his happiness and maybe, just maybe, once he really settles down for real, they can be friends again. Just like how close they were when she was still in her first relationship with her first love. Just like those days in her University days before they came up with this ‘friends with benefits’ relationship.

Entering the taxi, she sighs before telling the driver to drop her at Le Meredien; she doesn't feel like going home. Staring at the view outside the window, she smiles to herself; she doesn't believe it that she used Taeyeon as an excuse. It makes her feel slightly giddy once she remembers how the other girl has used the phrase 'future wife' twice in front of other people. Now that she realises it, she has stopped trying to make the older girl dislike her. Teases are just for fun not to annoy the latter. 'Thank you' are really meant instead of just being polite. Smiles are genuine and they are all for her future wife.


She starts to think of wanting to end all her relationships just for the latter but she's scared that it's a little bit too fast. What if the latter doesn't have any feelings for her? What if the latter actually wants to cancel everything but just because she's such a devoted child, she persists on this arranged marriage. What if, so many what ifs are running inside her mind. Groaning internally, she knows that today, her system would be flooded with alcohol again.

+++

Taeyeon takes off her blazer and drapes it on her chair when she hears the penthouse door opens. She rolls her shirt’s sleeves as she walks outside, ready to greet the owner of the unit. Once she sees the younger girl, she frowns, the younger girl is still wearing the same clothes just like yesterday.

“You didn’t go to work?”

“Nope,” Jessica replies. “Hangover,” she mumbles as she walks to the fridge to find food for her dinner.

“You haven’t had your dinner?”

“Nope, I wanted to buy one but I forgot so here I am, home yet starving,” the architect replies, eyes still scanning on the food available. She doesn’t hear any response other than a sigh but she doesn’t care, all she wants now is food, her stomach is already grumbling loudly.

“Just sit down, let me cook for you,” Taeyeon mutters softly as she puts her hand on the latter’s waist to push her gently, making herself in front of the fridge. “I hope you’re fine with steak and French fries,” she continues, unaware of how her touch stunned the younger girl. It was not a hard shove and god, how her hand attached to her hip for those few seconds made Jessica’s mind travel elsewhere. She assumes that it must be because nobody has treated her this kind ever since her first and last relationship. All those ‘friends’ that she has are most of the time rough at her and even when they weren’t rough, it wasn’t this gentle.

“Why are you so eager to cook for me?” Jessica asks but nonetheless, she still sits down on the dining table and watches the girl prepares for her food. Now that she is observing the older girl’s back, she looks appealing especially with those messy rolls of her shirt’s sleeves.

“You were so tired yesterday but you still went to whatever place you went to, I just don’t want you to get sick,” Taeyeon replies in an instant as she starts to marinate the beef.

“Wow, you sound like you’re secretly in love with me, wife,” the younger girl scoffs, tears her gaze away from the latter’s back and hears a low chuckle.

“Don’t get your hopes up, wife,” Taeyeon turns her body to face the latter and leans to the countertop. “I told you I’d make you fall for me, not I’d fall in love with you,” she smirks before giving her a wink and returns to her cooking. Jessica bites her lips – her cheeks are burning. that wink, she should stop giving me that, she scowls.


A/N special thanks to smarty0821, junejb, wayy2tiredd, lunar_knight, KTIYKY7921 for the voteee!! Thank you for all who has subscribed and commented. It's really nice to read your comments hahaah do comment more and don't be shy

Guess who would fall in love first? And would the other person catch her or not?