Chapter 4

The Future Wife

Jessica sighs as she enters Taeyeon's Aston Martin, time to meet the older girl's parents. She knew that one day she would have to meet the latter's parents but still, why did it have to be during dinner time instead of lunch? She can sense her clubbing time will not be present today.

She looks breathtakingly beautiful for Taeyeon and if anyone dares to say that the said girl doesn't, Taeyeon would skin him alive. The latter is wearing a simple nice black dress with a pair of classic heels; she looks like a perfect girlfriend material.

"You should wear this kind of clothes every time, you look beautiful," Taeyeon mutters as her foot presses on the gas pedal and earns a scoff.

"If I dress like this to a club, I won't get any guy to look at me even until the world ends,"

"You're exaggerating," the older girl frowns.

"You're ridiculous," Jessica replies, eyes looking at the view outside the window; she feels annoyed that there’s a possibility of her being not able to go to the club today. At the same time, Taeyeon starts to get annoyed as well. She's not the type who compliments someone easily and yet the latter brushes it off. Not feeling like making any conversation anymore, she stays silent during the whole ride to the restaurant.

The dinner went great for Jessica and she feels ecstatic to hear how Taeyeon takes notes on her passion for her job. She thought the girl was joking or being sarcastic but she wasn't; she could see it in the older girl's eyes that she meant it. It has been some years ever since someone took note of that.

On the contrary, the dinner was terrible for Taeyeon. She tried to make her deal with uncle Jung a secret but she failed miserably once her mother asked her to tell the truth. Her mom somehow knows that this marriage agreement is not simply just because Taeyeon likes the young Jung; she knows how much her daughter doesn't want to settle down and the new information intrigued the older woman.

All this time, Taeyeon has succeeded to escape from her mother's questions but not today. Her mother scolded her for doing something so stupid like this and told her that this will hurt both Jessica and her in the end but she just shook her head; what could possibly go so wrong, right?

"Red lights!" Jessica mutters, making Taeyeon steps on the brake instantly and sighs when cars behind her honk at her. "Are you ok? You nearly ran the red a few times," she looks to her left and sees how the older girl clenches her jaw before she replies with a hum. "Do you want me to drive?" She asks, worried about both of their safety. When the shorter girl stops her car by the side of the road, she knows that she needs to be the driver for their way back to the penthouse.

"Do you mind driving back?" Taeyeon asks as she unbuckles her seatbelt and earns a soft chuckle.

"We're at the side of the road and you already unbuckled your seatbelt, dummy," Jessica scoffs. "Of course, I should drive," she continues and earns a little smile from the latter which makes her confused; what the hell is wrong Taeyeon? The girl she knows would've talked back at her for teasing her. Once they switch their place, Jessica buckles on her seatbelt and waits for the latter to do the same before pressing on the gas pedal. She wonders what has gone wrong because she feels that it is her first time hearing Taeyeon sighs for so many times.

Entering their penthouse, Taeyeon doesn't even bother to say anything but goes straight to her bedroom and closes her door. Jessica unconsciously frowns, feeling worried about the latter. She looks at the clock and it shows 10 p.m., she would have enough time to go change her clothes and goes to the club today; Taeyeon would not even bother stopping her.

However, somehow because of looking at the dejected girl, she feels that all her party mood dissipates into thin air and she wonders why. She watches the Television with her eyes glancing on Taeyeon's bedroom door every once in a while. Today is the first time she cancels her plan of going to the club after three weeks of living with the latter.

Taeyeon goes out of her bedroom to get herself a glass of water only to find how the other girl is already sleeping on the couch, still with the Television on and a half-filled bottle of red wine on the table. After switching off the Television, Taeyeon carries the girl to the bed just like what she does usually. The girl stirs a bit once she tucks her inside the blanket. Taeyeon sits beside the sleeping body and fixes Jessica's hair that covers her face.

"What if you eventually grow to like her in a romantic way, honey? Or what if she likes you?" Taeyeon's mom asked and earned a wide-eyed look from the latter.

"There's no way I'd like someone like that, mom," Taeyeon chuckled. "And her liking me is impossible, you should know how many men she is seeing right now,"

"But your duty is to change that right, honey? I have a bad feeling about this agreement, can't you just cancel it?"

"Nothing bad will happen, mom. You should stop worrying about me and Jessica,"

Taeyeon sighs, what if in the future she grows to like the younger girl? Or what if the younger girl grows to like her but she is not even a little bit interested in her? If that happens, she is probably worse than all the guys Jessica is seeing right now. At least all of those guys don't give Jessica a false hope and she is aware that her relationships with those guys are only friends with benefits; what about their relationship?

She knows that her mood dropped because of that sudden realisation; should she cancel the agreement? She is not someone who keeps on changing her mind on something but if it's about Jessica, she knows how many times she has changed her mind. Her heart tells her that she should not be doing this kind of thing but her brain insists on doing this – huge investment in the future, how can she ignore that?

She is still in deep thought, looking at the sleeping figure until she realises how she has been staring for quite some time. Exiting the girl’s bedroom, she doesn’t forget to switch off the lights and closes the door carefully, just as always. Once she is lying down on her bed, she starts to wonder why the other girl doesn’t go to the club today; she knows that there was enough time for the girl to do so. Sighing, she knows that the reason could simply be because Jessica was tired; why would she expect that the younger girl didn’t do so because of her? It’s absurd.

+++

Jessica wakes up and smiles when she knows that the older girl has carried her here. Walking to her kitchen with a rather dishevelled hair, she notices how Taeyeon is in her casual clothes, ready to go out. The shorter girl mutters a ‘good morning’ and gives her a little smile.

“You’re going somewhere?” Jessica asks as she fixes her hair before glancing at the clock hung on the wall.

“Groceries,” Taeyeon replies. “Do you want anything?”

“Can you wait?” the younger girl mutters, making the older one looks at her in confusion. “I want to go with you,”

“Uhh- sure,” Taeyeon smiles before plopping on the couch. She wonders why does the architect wants to go grocery shopping with her, she usually only gives her a list of things that she wants her to buy. After waiting for quite some time, Jessica finally comes out of her bedroom with skinny destroyed jeans and a crop top. “You’re going to wear that?”

“Why not?” Jessica shrugs her shoulders. The drive to the supermarket turns out to be not as awkward as Jessica imagined, the normal Taeyeon is already back. She wants to ask about what happened yesterday but she can't bring herself to ask; she doesn't want the older girl to know that she was actually worried about her.

They walk down the aisle of snacks until Taeyeon needs to go to the meat section again to switch the beef that she just chose; the expiry date is too soon. Once she comes back, she sees how Jessica is already with a guy who looks a bit too friendly for her – his hand is on her waist, nearly touching her , as she bends down to get a pack of chips from the lower section. She notices how the younger girl seems uncomfortable by his touch and she is about to confront the guy when a stranger yank away his hand.

“Yah! What do you think you're doing?” The woman mutters, looking furious at Jessica.

“What? I-“

“Did you seduce him?” The woman pushes Jessica with force, almost causing her to fall. This makes Taeyeon rush to her future wife as she grits her teeth at how the man pretends that he’s not doing anything wrong. “You-“

“Excuse me,” Taeyeon mutters, her free hand that doesn't hold the basket reaches down to interlock with Jessica’s. “Is there something wrong?”

“Your friend here seduced my-“

“She’s my future wife,” Taeyeon gives her a smile as she holds Jesica's hand a little bit tighter and the action didn't go unnoticed by the woman.

“You better watch her, she-“

“Did you see her talking to him? Taeyeon asks with her smile still etched on her face.

“No, but-“

“Did you see her touching him?” She asks again.

“N-no, but-“

“Then my future wife is not at fault, maybe you should watch your boyfriend instead because I saw him almost groping her . If there’s anyone that should be angry, it should be me,” Taeyeon mutters before walking away with Jessica’s fingers that interlock with her free hand. Once they are away from the couple, Taeyeon lets go of Jessica. “Are you ok?”

“Y-yeah, thanks,” Jessica mumbles. If this was a few weeks ago, she wouldn't simply admit that she was thankful but now, after all that Taeyeon has done for her, she figured that a simple 'thank you' would do. She thinks that the older girl by now would have known how in need of protection she is anyway although they have never discussed about it before. If she wants to be honest with herself, she likes it that the older girl always seem to come at the right time to protect her. “I don’t get why she was angry at me though, he was the one who-“

“I know,” Taeyeon cuts her and gazes at her. Jessica can feel how the girl looks so concerned and she bites her lips, feeling the gaze too intense for her; Taeyeon looks away as well. “Maybe he has high libido and seeing you with that kind of clothes trigger him, you know,” she chuckles and the latter smiles a bit. “Do you need anything else? I’m going to go pay now,”

“My chips!” Jessica frowns, knowing that the incident happened in the snack section.

“It’s ok, I’ll go with you,” the older girl smiles and holds her hand before dragging her to the snack section. The young girl looks down to their hands and she knows how she hasn’t been held like this ever since her last legit relationship. How come she feels Taeyeon’s hand fits with hers so well? She bites her lips to hide her smile and her smile gets wider when the couple is no longer there. She lets go of Taeyeon’s hand to take the pack of chips that she wants and puts it into the basket. “That’s it?”

“Yup! Let’s go home, I want to continue watching my TV shows,” Jessica mutters as she links her hand with the older girl’s arm. Feeling a little bit naughty, she starts to feel the latter’s toned arm by squeezing it.

“Yah, your hand,” Taeyeon scowls as she feels uncomfortable with how Jessica is feeling her arm.

“I like toned arms, remember wife?” Jessica smirks before walking ahead of the shorter girl to the cashier, leaving Taeyeon shaking her head with a smile. There they go again, trying to annoy each other.

+++

Jessica stares at her phone, to be precise, the text message on her phone. Lee Dongwook, a well-known model in Korea just asked her to be at Park Hyatt Hotel at 11 p.m. tonight. Instead of feeling happy that she can finally meet her friends-with-benefit with the most gorgeous body, she somehow feels like a call-girl. All of this time, she would never feel so low but she doesn’t know why today, she doesn’t feel like it. She did agree to have that kind of relationship with 3 guys but why does she start to dislike that kind of relationship?

After replying with a short text that she is busy, she tosses her phone to the nightstand before going out of her bedroom. She sees how the older girl is sitting on the couch, eyes locked with TV screen, hands full by holding a tub of ice cream and a spoon. She plops next to her and the latter replies with a simple ‘hello’. Hugging the couch pillow, she frowns when the girl is watching the news. Who the hell would watch the news while they are eating a tub of ice cream?

“You want some?” Taeyeon mutters, tearing her gaze away from the TV to look at the younger girl.

“Nah, don’t want my face to be bloated tomorrow,” Jessica replies and her hand pushes the tub of ice cream away.

“You’re not going anywhere?” The older girl asks as she scoops her Haagen-Dazs ice cream.

“I’m not in the mood, feeling tired,” the younger one sighs, leaning her head on the headrest.

“Then what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be sleeping?” Taeyeon looks back at her with a confused look.

“I can’t sleep, my brain is still active although my body wants me to just lie down on my bed,” Jessica shrugs her shoulder before she straightens her legs and puts them on Taeyeon’s lap, making the latter scowls.

“God, put your stinky feet away,”

“Yah!” Jessica kicks Taeyeon’s thigh, earning a muffled groan from the latter and a glare. They have a staring contest for a while until the ice cream on the spoon drops to Jessica’s feet, making her shriek due to shock and the cold. Taeyeon laughs at the other girl’s face until Jessica wipes off her foot on Taeyeon’s T-shirt. Groaning in annoyance, Taeyeon goes to her bedroom to change into a new T-shirt before she washes her T-shirt from the Chocolate ice cream with water.

When she goes out, the other girl is still there, watching some K-drama with an innocent look as if she didn’t do anything. Feeling mischievous, Taeyeon throws her wet shirt that she wanted to put in the washing machine to the other girl, making her shriek in surprise again. That night, the two runs around the penthouse, throwing the wet shirt laughing happily.

One forgot her real reason of agreeing to the arranged marriaged while the other forgot that she wanted to end it.


A/N special thanks to han_inft, Outtie11, daine0116, EmmaEXID, Kim_Jichoo, iocssacras, tamynl for the votessss... and y'all who commented and subscribed..

They're getting closer, hmm?