Chapter 9

A Star In Daylight

"Chanyeol is this the bread you want?" he looked up from the stores fridge to see Kyungsoo holding up a pack of Melon sweet bread. 

"yes, that's it" he scoops up one more Gatorade from the fridge to add to the eight he was already holding, he then walks over to where Kyungsoo stood. 

They were at Ned's, a local convenience store that sold anything everything. They usually made a run before school for snacks, sweets or essentials. 

"where are the others?" Chanyeol asked Kyungsoo as they walked back down the snack aisle.

"they are fighting over which sweets to get, such kids" he rolled his eyes. 

Kyungsoo was heads shorter than Chanyeol but much more intimidating, with the way he looked at you as if glaring, if you didn't know him personally you'd think he was scary but he just had an astigmatism and couldn't see very well which is why he wore glasses sometimes. Chanyeol eyed the bundle of snacks in his small arms, from chips to sweet bread to cookies.

"but these taste better!" we heard a voice say loudly, it was Jongdae

"but these have prizes!" another voice countered, it belonged to Sehun

"guys stop, you're making a commotion" the voice of Junmyeon butted in.

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo came around the corner to the front of the store to see the others standing around the sweets display. Jongdae and Sehun were facing off holding up their desired sweets while Junmyeon was standing between them. Minseok, Yixing and Jongin were off to the side just observing the scene already holding some chosen sweets in their arms.

"seriously guys? Why not just put both in the stash?" Chanyeol reasoned.

The others looked in their direction acknowledging that they've returned "no one else is going to eat them anyway because they are both horrible"  Chanyeol stated.

The others chuckled, but he gained frowns from Jongdae and Sehun. Him and Kyungsoo placed their stuff up on the counter for the boy who was just taken this all in to cash.

"these are very delicate sweets, only people with rich tastes can understand it's beauty" Sehun rambled 

"I agree" Jongdae joined.

The others walk over to add their stuff to the big pile that will not surprisingly be done by the end of the day. "now you guys are on the same page?" Chanyeol chuckles at his two friends.

They both looked at each other and huffed before chucking their horrible candy into the pile. They waited as the boy racked them up.

"guys we should hurry, schools about to start and we can't be late another time" Kyungsoo said looking at his watch. Chanyeol did the same, he was right. 

The last time they were late, they had to sneak in through the large cafeteria windows because the school locks the outside doors five minutes after the bell, they had lost track of time when they went to the arcade in hopes to kill time before class only to realise they were twenty minutes late. It was just their luck that Principal Sooman was in the cafeteria talking to the lunch ladies and caught them red handed. He had brought them to his office and scolded them, said the next time we were late and snuck through the windows we would get a whole weekend detention cleaning up the entire school. 

The boy finally finished ringing us up and we all took out our share of cash to hand to him. We started hurrying to Sehun's car outside in the small parking lot. 

Chanyeol took the passenger seat while the others filed into the backseats. There wasn't much space so, Kyungsoo had to sit in Jongin's lap, Chanyeol noticed a slight pink tinge to his cheek as he did so. Jongdae sat in Minseok's lap, they both looked comfortable with Minseok placing his hands on either side of Jondae's waist and squished in the middle was Junmyeon in Yixing's lap, Chanyeol didn't miss the way Sehun looked into the mirror above at Junmyeon in the back.

"alright we're off" Sehun starts the car and eases on to the road.

--------------

"and did you see the way he was gripping on to his waist" Sehun vents in disgust 

Since Sehun and Chanyeol have the same morning class, they split from the others and went to grab their stuff only for Sehun to start ranting to Chanyeol about how Yixing obviously has a thing for Junmyeon. 

"that Yixing, he's my friend but he's playing games and I don't like it" Sehun walked slumped next to Chanyeol

"why not just tell Junmyeon you like him and if he rejects you and tells you he is dating Yixing, you'll be put out of your misery" Chanyeol suggested 

"what!? No, never" Sehun said doing and 'X' sign with his arms, "you'll never understand, you've never liked anyone before not even your ex girlfriend" he pouts.

Chanyeol rolls his eyes "you mean the girlfriend you guys forced me to date?" 

"we were all worried about your love life, you could've said no" Sehun countered

"I don't need anyone to help with my love life and I did but it fell on deaf ears as you all are too stubborn". "Only Kyungsoo would've heard me say no if he wasn't too busy reading about science atoms to hear my cries of anguish" Chanyeol said.

They were rounding a corner but Sehun wasn't paying attention and didn't notice the person coming around at the same time. 

Chanyeol watches as Sehun collides with a student. 

"oh jeez, I'm so sorry" Sehun says backing away.

As he does Chanyeol looks at the person and unknowingly in a breath, Baekhyun. He was wearing the same uniform but somehow made it look more fashionable, is that another perk of being rich? You make anything look good?

"ouch" Baekhyun said looking up at Sehun.

Chanyeol just stared at him, the way his straight black hair sat on his head looking soft, the way the round glasses somehow made him look even cuter, he slowly scanned his eyes over the boys body admiring how slender but fit he looked.

"oh? Nugget? Is that you?" Sehun said looking at Baekhyun properly,

"I'm not a nugget" Baekhyun said a little forcefully with a frown,

Chanyeol didn't like the look on him, it didn't fit the softness of his face. 

"woah" Sehun held up his hands in surrender "still an angry little puppy I see" he teases. 

Chanyeol did have to admit he did remind him of an angry puppy but he kept that to himself. 

Baekhyun didn't say anything but frown at Sehun before pushing past him, he walked by Chanyeol without giving him so much as a glance. Chanyeol watched as the boy walked down the hall, his back slumped, his head down. The two haven't really befriended each other in any way and only talked a couple times that lead to sarcastic remarks and banter but he could tell that something was wrong.

"calm on, we're late" Sehun says walking forward. 

Chanyeol still stared off to where Baekhyun went, something was pulling at him to follow, to go see if he was alright. But that could just be his good nature overreacting right?

Chanyeol starts walking to catch up with Sehun,

"can you carry my stuff to class" Chanyeol says handing Sehun his books without waiting for a reply before backing away back down the hall. 

"wait what? Where you going?" Sehun asked confused by his friend

Chanyeol was already jogging back down the hall in the direction Baekhyun went. "bathroom!" he called over his shoulder.

Sehun stood there confused with his and Chanyeol's books stacked in his arms, he looked to his left across the hall to see a guy's washroom right there.