Discoveries and trust

Surviving
Please log in to read the full chapter

Lay stared at the man that had passed out in front of his couch. The man seemed to be troubled in his sleep, and Lay stared ahead. Thinking back to the events that happened previously that day.

Junmyeon stared at him as he let some of his energy flow into the boy in front of him trying to help him regain consciousness faster. There was a moment of silence where Lay felt as though someone were staring at him intently, studying him. Once he finished helping the boy in front of him he turned back, his eyes instantly connected with Lays and he saw the man mouth something that made Lays blood run cold. “Healer.”

That was the last thing Lay remembered before he woke up sweating heavily in a small cot in the doctor’s rest area. Shaking his head to try and rid himself of the thoughts that had infiltrated his brain, trying to wash away the blood in his memory he rose slowly. He looked around him and noticed that there was no one in the room, which was strange considering people were always in here since they all had vastly different break times.

He sighed, thankful for the quick break he had, but he couldn’t stay immobile for too long. Too many emergencies and trauma cases to resolve. He stood up, sighing once again. The last time he heard that word outside of history lessons when they discussed ancient cultures and how physicians were called healers. But back then, the word didn’t evoke a sense of horror in him.

Lay got up. He felt the whispers of the voice that always remained in his head telling him to move, to stop being so lazy. Along other insults he was accustomed to hearing.

He went outside to talk to some of the others that were working to see if they needed help with anything. When they saw him, they asked if he was feeling better, if he needed to take a break, and reminded him to rest and not over work himself. Which Lay did all the time. All he had was his work. It kept him living, kept him strong. No matter how annoying and difficult the people around him could be at times, work and helping people would always be something he loved to do.

‘You couldn’t help your parents.’

‘Weakling.’

Lay sighed and hit his head a little, hoping to knock the stupid voice out of his mind. The other doctors that were near the counter looked at him. They laughed softly, having been accustomed to Lay’s peculiar antics. “Do you need me anywhere?”

The head chief of the hospital was talking to one of the other doctors before he turned to Lay. He looked at him and said, “the patients in the emergency ward in room 1 and room 4.” Lay nodded quickly smiling at the thought of finally getting something that would take his mind off everything that keeps replaying in his mind. Lay walked towards the patients he was told to take care of.

He stepped into room 1 to see the silver haired kid he had helped earlier. Said person was now awake, his eyes were wide and looking around in fear. Lay could see the young man’s fright in his eyes. When he saw Lay his eyes looked like a brewing storm. Lay smiled as gently as he could, “Hello.”

The man just stared at him. He smiled once again to try and reassure the patient that he was all right. Well as all right as one can be in a hospital. He was about to open his mouth again to speak when the silver haired beat him to it. “Hi…” Lay smiled even wider. “Hi.”

He walked closer to the teen and said, “I’m Lay, what’s your name?” The young man stared at him some more his eyebrows furrowing in thought, after a couple seconds he said, “Sehun?”

“Your name is Sehun?” The young man- Sehun, nodded unsurely. “well, it’s nice to meet you Sehun.”

Sehun nodded slightly. “Do you remember what happened?”

Sehun nodded again, the fear returning to his eyes. Lay took notice of his actions, the way he was burrowed into the blankets making him resemble a burrito. Only his head was visible. Lay didn’t want to disturb him but he had to check his vitals, he didn’t want to ask more questions that would cause more pain.

“Sehun, I’m going to need to check your vitals, don’t get scared.” Sehun looked at him in wonder and said, “healer?” Lays throat clenched a little at the word, remembering the look on Junmyeon’s face when he said the same thing. Clearing his throat, he turned to Sehun and said smiling, “A little like a healer, I make people feel better.” Sehun smiled at him like he had never seen any evil in the world. Lay couldn’t help but smile at the young man.

Sehun stared at him as he checked the boys’ vitals. Everything seemed to be well with him. “Sehun, do you mind telling me what happened?”

Sehun looked at him for a while without saying anything, he looked down at the blankets than he looked up at Lay and nodded.

“I don’t remember much. I just remember that there was a place. There was no one except me, and then I remember I couldn’t breathe, and some people came in. They were speaking in a language I couldn’t understand, suddenly everything around me turned grey with a huge tornado coming towards me, and that’s the last thing I remember before waking up here.”

Sehun looked shaken and Lay wanted nothing more than to hug him and make sure nothing could hurt him. But he kept his professional conduct as a doctor. “Alright Sehun, thank you for telling me.” Sehun nodded his eyes looking down, unfocused.

“Um, healer?” Lay felt a pang go through him. “Lay is fine Sehun.”

“Lay, why can’t I remember anything?” Lay paused at that. “You can’t remember anything before the place you were in?”

Sehun shook his head. “There may be some damage to your brain, the lack of oxygen you experienced may have affected your memory. But, in time it should return. Although, there is the chance that it may never return.” Sehun didn’t do anything, just nodded again before burying himself in the blankets.

“I’ll come see you again later, alright Sehun?” The boy didn’t respond but Lay knew he was listening.

“La But he kept his professional conduct as a doctor. “Alright Sehun, thank you for telling me.” Sehun nodded his eyes looking down, unfocused.

“Thank you.”

After leaving the boys’ room Lay felt much better but when he thought about the next patients room he felt shaky all over. He stepped into the room, hoping to end the long day with this patient. When he entered his breath was taken away. The man that sat in front of him was heavenly. He was so beautiful that Lay found it difficult to think around him.

The man turned to look at him, when their eyes connected all Lay wanted to do was hide, hide himself and all his secrets from those eyes that seemed to pierce through him.

“Lay.”

“Junmyeon.”

There was a pregnant pause between the two. “I’m going to check your vitals, just to make sure that everything is all right.” Junmyeon just stared at him with that unwavering gaze of his.

“Go ahead.”

Lay took a shaky step towards Junmyeon and he was checking all his vitals, first he checked his heart, then his temperature and pressure. “Are these the usual ways Healers perform their work?”

Lay stilled. He didn’t notice his hands remained on the other mans’ biceps. “What do you mean?”

“As a wielder shouldn’t the method be more natural. These things you use to channel your powers are strange.” Lay looked up at Junmyeon quickly taking some steps back once he realized how close the other man was to him. Junmyeon chuckled. “Little jumpy, aren’t you?” Lay shook his head.

“Your vitals seem to be fine. Nothing seems out of order. Is there anything wrong?”

“Why can’t I remember anything except drowning?” Lay looked at Junmyeon in shock, ‘so that was the reason he was in the hospital.’ Junmyeon looked sad, he looked frustrated, but he also looked intrigued by him. “The experience may have caused some trauma and shock to the brain which may have caused the amnesia. It may be permanent or temporary. Is there anything significant that comes to mind?”

Junmyeon thought for a moment.

“When I think of healers, someho

Please log in to read the full chapter