Safe

Si Me Amas, Serva Me

“How long have you been here?” Chanyeol asked Baekhyun. The two were snuggled up on the sofa after finishing their dinner meal of hot and delicious Ramyun. Baekhyun leaned against Chanyeol’s chest, his arm around Chanyeol’s waist, and Chanyeol’s arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“In this apartment?” Baekhyun asked Chanyeol, who nodded. “Um. About two years, now.”

“Alone?”

“Yeah, well...sort of.”

“Sort of?” Chanyeol Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“I-haha- I’ve almost always been alone.”

“Hm? For how long?”

“Since about...” Baekhyun said, his lips pouting a little as he thought deeply. “Since middle school, I think.”

Chanyeol stopped the swishing movement of his hands on Baekhyun’s shoulder as he turned to look at him, surprised. “What?”

Baekhyun sighed, then looked up at Chanyeol, and smiled. “When you follow your passion, things don’t come easy.”

Flashbacks of Chanyeol’s school life appeared before him. “You’re right, Baekkie.”

Baekhyun sat up straight, releasing himself from Chanyeol’s hold. “You just thought of something sad, didn’t you?”

Chanyeol laughed silently, with only his shoulders moving up-and-down, amused at how well Baekhyun could read him. He came closer to Baekhyun, and placed a gentle kiss on his nose. “Maybe.”

“Well, let me take it away for you.” Baekhyun said, grabbing Chanyeol’s cheeks with both his hands, and pulling him in for a gentle kiss, almost intending to out the sadness out of him.

Baekhyun looked on towards the ground, and covered his mouth with his hand as Chanyeol and he kissed for the very first time. Their hearts beat wildly, too fast for their own good, and their cheeks were hot, and red. Chanyeol looked everywhere except at Baekhyun. He was smiling, and tried to hide it so bad, but couldn’t. Baekhyun, too, was a grinning mess. After about a moment’s silence-

“Chanyeol-ah” “Baekhyunnie” The two said, at the same time. Then, they looked at each other, and burst out laughing.

“Okay, you first.” Chanyeol said, poking Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“No, you.” Baekhyun poked Chanyeol’s stomach.

“I asked you first, so you.” Chanyeol said.

“Bu-”

“No, ‘If’ s and ‘But’s, Baekkie.”

Baekhyun sighed, as he gave up. “It’s rather silly, to think about it.”

“Go on.” Chanyeol coerced.  

“It’s about what you said earlier....” Baekhyun looked into Chanyeol’s eyes, and smiled, then looked away. “The one to thank you should be me, Chan. Thank you for being in my life.”

Chanyeol giggled, making a sniffing sound, as he gathered Baekhyun to his chest, once again.”You don’t need to thank me, Baekkie. You’ve brought more to me, than anyone has in the last few years.”

“N-no. I could never imagine an idol like yo-”

“I-Idol?” Chanyeol let go of Baekhyun’s hold, and grasped him by the shoulders. “So-So what, Baekhyun? Idols are humans too.”

Baekhyun knew he had pressed the wrong buttons there. He regretted using the word ‘Idol’. But, who would have known that the man whom he once thought was untouchable, and out of reach, would be right in front of him like this. Who could have known that they’d grow this close to each other- so close that invisible chains binded them and ever so lightly, tugged at their hearts. For Baekhyun, even now, it was all dream-like. And all he wanted was to let Chanyeol know of his emotions, before the dream shattered.

“I know, Chanyeollie.” Baekhyun said calmly. “And I know, because of you.”

“I never knew you’d be this close to me..” Placing his hand on Chanyeol shoulder, then moving it sideways down the arm, Baekhyun continued, ”Close enough for me to even touch you.” He stopped at the elbow. “You know, once upon a time, it was my dream to just be able to meet you, and maybe shake hands and get an autograph, or something. And now...when I think about it, I can’t help but think this- what would the me from two years ago think of the me now? Would he be proud? Would he be happy? Hmph, the me from two years ago would probably never even believe that this is happening..” Baekhyun paused to move his hands downwards, to where Chanyeol’s hands were. “But, it is. And that is exactly why I thought I should tell you, Chanyeol. I-” Baekhyun felt a lump in his throat as he suddenly thought of the first time he had laid is eyes on Chanyeol, on a TV event. Then, he looked into Chanyeol’s eyes, tears welling up just a little bit, and smiling. “I’ve always loved you so much, Chanyeol-ah.”

Chanyeol didn’t know what to do, in that moment. He wanted to hold Baekhyun in his arms and never let go. He wanted to dig a hole in his heart, and keep Baekhyun inside it, forever. He wanted to shout to the whole word, that here was a man he wanted to protect and love till death. Instead, he bent down a little, and leaned it to say the words Baekhyun would’ve liked to hear.

But, Baekhyun wasn’t ready to be rejected. He put his hands on Chanyeol’s mouth the moment he came closer, the other hand wiping his tears away. “D-don’t say anything yet. I can’t handle heartbreaks very well.” Chanyeol’s heart beat restlessly. He took Baekhyun’s hand- the one of his mouth- and kissed it. He grasped the other hand, and kissed it too. His eyes were closed, and in a careful motion of his hand, he pulled Baekhyun and planted the softest kiss on his forehead, on his nose, on his eyelids. They tasted like Baekhyun’s tears. Then, Chanyeol put his hands on either side of Baekhyun’s cheeks, and looked into Baekhyun’s eyes, his gaze threatening to look into Baekhyun’s soul.

Just when Baekhyun’s eyes met his, Chanyeol smiled. Baekhyun had a confused, sad look on his face. ‘What is going on?’ he thought continuously.

“Byun Baekhyun.” Chanyeol said. “You don’t have to.”

“Eh?” Baekhyun was still so confused. His heart was storming inside his chest.

“Of getting a heartbreak, you idiot.” Chanyeol’s smile widened. “You don’t have to handle a heartbreak, Baekkie-” Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun’s ear to where his heart was. Steady and loud. “Because, yours is safe in mine.”

 


 

“I hope the plan is clear, gentlemen.” Sunhee smirked. “The event is to be held next week. That will give Chanyeol more than enough time to heal, and more than enough time for us to finalise everything else.”

“I can’t wait to bust that bastard’s !” Jongin said enthusiastically.

“Jongin. Language.” Junmyeon said softly.

“Yeah, we’ll bust his .” Kyungsoo said, a smile on his face, as he looked at Junmyeon, who sighed. Jongdae giggled.

As double-checked and triple-checked by Sunhee and Youngjin, it was safe to say that the person who drugged Chanyeol wasn’t part of the staff of the hotel, and definitely someone from outside- probably within the company itself- to have made it inside in spite of such tight security. The plan was, to hold another party, invite the same people, at the same venue. What’d be intentionally rumoured is that EXO enjoyed the party, the food, and the people so much, they’d love to do it all again. That would attract the druggist’s attention, and if he did it purposefully to cause harm, he’d do it again, knowing it didn’t work the previous time. And if it was a casual attempt, this person would not turn up at all. This had its own calculated risks, and risks they didn’t know of. Baekhyun was also to be there at the party.

Chanyeol had returned to the dorm after spending the night, sleeping peacefully, at Baekhyun’s apartment. When he did, the members collectively hugged him and apologized. Jongin even cried a little bit for his hyung. Chanyeol, then, told the members about Baekhyun, and what he felt towards him. It was taken very positively, and Baekhyun was praised for everything he had done for Chanyeol. Later, the members briefed Sunhee’s plan to Chanyeol, but Baekhyun had already told him. Chanyeol listened anyway. He never felt this important.

A week passed faster than ever, and the day arrived. The hotel staff was assigned to count people, and strike off names at their arrival. All doors except the main entrance were to be blocked off, and the roof too was to be out of bounds. The reason? “Maintenance.”

As expected, the guests arrived in full numbers, and EXO were surrounded by people all time, even though they didn’t like to interact with so many people at the same time. But, this time it was a matter of their friend, and fellow member. So they were even careful.

Chanyeol was nervous. He had a blotch of memory missing from the night of the party, and it wasn’t the most comfortable feeling. He was nervous, and yet he knew two of his favourite people were by his side. Sunhee swore she’d protect Chanyeol this time. And so, she was always in visible distance of Chanyeol. People came up to him, bowed, or shook hands. He talked to them, and didn’t try to run away this time. They told him how much they were inspired by him, or how much they liked his work. For a change, it made Chanyeol happy to hear praises about himself.

Then, he appeared. The same man from that night. The one who was dressed up as the waitor. This night, he wore a suit, and carried a camera with himself. ‘Deemed photographer, huh?’ When Sunhee’s eyesight wavered to him, her entire existence shook up in rage. She clutched at Youngjin’s hand.

“He’s here.”

 


 

“But, Chanyeol, I can’t wear this!!! Have you seen the price?!!!” Baekhyun nearly shouted as Chanyeol took him to a Kiton store to buy a suit for the upcoming event.

“Shh, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol spoke in whispers. “Consider this my gift.”

“But, this is literally more than my salary of three months, what are you saying!!!”

“Also, don’t forget that you’re going to be there in the party next week.”

Baekhyun gulped. “B-but..!!!”

“Okay, please bill this suit.” Chanyeol said, flashing the most charming smile at the cashier. “Also Baekhyun. Stop speaking with three exclamation marks, please.” Baekhyun looked on, ignoring what Chanyeol had just said, still feeling guilty of having Chanyeol buy him a suit worth 20 million KRW.

Chanyeol drove Baekhyun to his apartment after their little shopping date, which ended with ice cream.

“You stay well, okay?” Chanyeol said, ruffling Baekhyun’s hair a little, and smiling at how puppy-like he looked.

“Umff. Hey, stop.” Baekhyun said, as Chanyeol began to laugh.

“I’ll see you soon, baby.” Chanyeol said, looking at Baekhyun affectionately. Then, his eyes widened aware of what he had just called Baekhyun. OOPS.

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol for a while, blushed furiously, and then proceeded to walk into his apartment gate. But then, he stood there for a while, turned back, and walked towards Chanyeol on the other side of the car. Chanyeol’s eyes had been following Baekhyun all this while, and by the time Baekhyun was at his window, he had already rolled it down. Baekhyun gazed at Chanyeol for a while, who couldn’t understand what the smaller’s reaction was, to having called him ‘baby’ out of nowhere.

To Chanyeol’s surprise, Baekhyun suddenly kissed the fingers on his hand, extended his arm towards Chanyeol,and smacked Chanyeol’s cheeks with them. Then, he smiled subtly, and ran off with a “Bye. Chanyeol.”

For a while, Chanyeol just sat there, wondering what was cuter. What Baekhyun just did, or what Baekhyun just looked like. Unable to decide, he simply watched Baekhyun walk into the gate, smiling to himself.

“Damn it.” Chanyeol blushed as he giggled into the stering wheel.

 


 

The man looked all around, and his eyes finally rested on Chanyeol, who at that time was talking to some rookies from SM. Like a hungry lion, he began to take slow steps towards him, and waited for the right time to pounce upon him. Taking photographs every now and then, EXO remembered not to have called any photographer for the occasion. Sunhee had her keen eyes on Chanyeol this whole time. She marked every movement made by the man, and made sure he couldn’t get too close to Chanyeol.

‘What is his plan this time, that he’s dressed as a photographer.’

“Sir, can I take a picture?” The man said to Chanyeol, out of nowhere, hiding his face behind the camera. He didn’t remember a photographer being called. ‘Maybe they did it last moment’ he thought to himself. The man put an external flash device on, changed a few camera settings, and moved forward to where Chanyeol and the rest were.

“Okay.” Chanyeol said, posing with the rookies.

The man put his finger on the shutter, and half-pressed it. Just then, Baekhyun appeared out of nowhere, and in the swift click of his hand, took the external flash out.

“E-Excuse me, what are you doing?!” The man spoke out.

“Hmmm...”Baekhyun inspected the device from all sides.

By this time, the man had started to show signs of nervousness. He kept mumbling things, and fidgeting with his fingers. In a while, he began to strut off. But, Youngjin grasped him. “Not too soon, now.” He smiled. It seemed deadly. The commotion had attracted everyone’s attention. EXO gathered nearby as well.

Baekhyun demanded a fork, and someone got it for him. In clear, and professional ways, he opened up the external flash, then looked up at the man in utter disgust. “Explain this, you son of a .” Baekhyun said, as he walked up to Sunhee and Youngjin and talked to them in a low voice.

“This flash wasn’t meant to take pictures. It was supposed to explode.” Baekhyun spoke, in a clear tone. “Here, this part has been replaced with a cylinder which explodes when the shutter is pressed.”

Sunhee’s eyes widened, as she gasped, knowing what it could’ve done to Chanyeol, who by now began to feel anxious, and a little scared. He could only somehow mumble, “E-explode?”

Sensing his anxiousness, Baekhyun softened a little, let Sunhee handle the device, and walked up to where Chanyeol was and grabbed his hand, reassuring him that everything is alright.

Youngjin motioned the guests to give them the privacy, and the group moved to the roof. Sunhee began to question the man. “What is the meaning of all this?” She was so enraged, her face had turned crimson red.

The man looked towards the ground, not saying a word.

“We know you’re not mum.” Kyungsoo spoke up. “So, hurry up and start speaking already.”

The man remained unmoved.

Chanyeol felt slightly uncomfortable by the whole deal. He got up to where the person was, placed his hand on his shoulder, and said, “We won’t kill you, you know.” He had a calm look on his face. “You just have to tell us why you’d go to the extents of sneaking into the party, and...try and harm anybody.”

The man began to tremble, as Chanyeol said that. “I-I am so so-sorry, Chanyeol.” The man said, stuttering. Not only had he said Chanyeol’s name without any honorific, but also without a glint of hesitation.

“I am s-so sorry for this....” He said again and again. “I sw-swear I never intended to do any of this....Not middle school, not now...”

“Middle school?” Chanyeol prompted. “W-wait. A-are you....” The colours on Chanyeol’s face drained away.The memories took Chanyeol in a storm, as he thought of his life during middle school. Sadly, the only memory he remembered was pain, and a little bit of happiness during the time he was with Sunhee. He turned to look at Sunhee, who was already looking at him.

“Yes.” The man looked at Chanyeol, with a sad smile on his face, tears streaming down his face. “I-I was one of your bullies, Chanyeol.”

Baekhyun shook up a little. He hadn’t known about Chanyeol’s bully chapter yet. The EXO members looked startled as well.

“Ch-Channie, you were b-bullied by h-him? There’s no way I can forgiv-” Baekhyun said, as he neared the man to land a few punches to his face, but Chanyeol grabbed his hand, and pulled him back.

“Thank you, Baekhyun. But, please let me handle this?” Chanyeol smiled, as he tightened his hold on Baekhyun’s hand. For the first time, Baekhyun couldn’t read his smile. Was it out sadness? Or, anger? Was it anxiousness?  Was it nothing at all? Baekhyun didn’t know. It worried him.

“Speak.” Chanyeol spoke to the man sternly.

As the man spoke of everything, Chanyeol began to wonder if he was the only one being bullied, indeed.

My name is Chun Shinwook. I’m from a middle-class family. Our life was nice and stable, until my father died when my mother was pregnant with her third child. He didn’t leave a lot behind, but it was just sufficient for the four of us to survive. Being the eldest sibling, I had to take care of them all. When I was admitted to my neighbourhood middle school, a guy in my class called Minhyuk asked me to be his “friend” (More like, “errand boy”) and do things for him, in return of a meagre sum of money. Like, fetching an orange juice from the vending machine outside the school, was somewhat around 1000KRW, doing his homework was around 5000KRW, and beating someone up along with him was somewhere around 6000KRW. The little amount of money I was making this way, made me happy, because I could buy my sisters sweets with them, when mother could not. Then, this boy called Park Chanyeol transferred to our class, next year. He was a good kid. Smiled all the time, and was nice to me. But, somehow, Minhyuk didn’t like him. He’d often ask me to kick his chair, put bubblegum in his hair, or soak his homework with water. I didn’t like to do it, but he kept offering me money, and I kept doing it. I was trapped, and I didn’t know how to get out.

One day, things got really out of hand, and Minhyuk beat up Chanyeol real bad. However, a sunbae recorded it all, and we got busted. We were suspended for four months. When my mother came to know, I was devastated. I felt so ashamed, I wanted to die. But, even suicidal thoughts couldn’t help, because the crying faces of my sisters would give me nightmares at night. Those four months changed my life. I tried to work in a part-time job but when they found out I was a student, they sacked me. This happened five times. Those four months taught me how difficult life really was. When school reopened, the few people who I deemed to be my friends, turned their backs. Everybody except Minhyuk. Minhyuk, too was a different person. He stopped asking me to do things for him, and we started hanging out like real friends. Though I don’t think he thought of me as a friend, initially, Minkyuk and I became really close friends. But, alas, it was too late, then. We graduated soon, and he moved to America. And I was stuck here.

I, on the other hand, had forgotten that my school report card bore the suspension record. Thanks to that, I couldn’t get into a decent university, or a university, people had even heard the name of. Even so, it’s not like my economics degree would do me much good. You see, I like drawing. And so, as my past time, I always drew. This one time my economics teacher said she had noticed me doodling in class. Instead of reprimanding me, she inspired me to pursue art instead. She asked me to apply for graphic designing, or fashion designing, or something of that sort. And I did. My university had a slot for fashion design open, and that’s where I started designing.

Halfway through my course, my littlest sister, who was eight, then, fell sick. The muscles around her neck, and her vocal chords had stopped working. As a result of which, she could neither speak, nor breath properly. Juggling between the hospital and university, and keeping the budget in mind was difficult. I started applying for jobs. I sent my portfolios, and I contacted several people. But, nothing worked. Around that time, Minhyuk visited Seoul. When I told him about my sister’s condition, he gave me a phone number, and asked me to contact the person. I could never have thanked him enough, because this fetched me a job in SM Entertainment as one of their junior props and stage staff.

Soon, I applied for the fashion department in SM, where I thought I originally belonged. Being already employed in SM, it came a little easy. And I was accepted. But, my sister’s health worsened over time. A tracheotomy was to be performed because the nerves which directed the windpipe to clear the airway had stopped working too, and she needed to breathe. This was an expensive surgery, and my present salary wasn’t enough. I spent nights crying, thinking of what I was going to do. I sold my parents’ car and the television, few of the furniture, and put our garage on rent. But still,this wasn’t enough.

At such a time, I met Mr. Nam, from the fashion department.

He appeared like an angel, at a time when I needed most help, economically. He said he’d pay for my sister’s surgery, had I done a few things for him. And before I knew it, I was caught in the trap once again.

Sunhee trembled as she heard the name. She appeared so dazed, and shocked, that Youngjin had to hold her. “By Mr. Nam, you don’t mean Nam Do-Dongsun?” Sunhee asked, her voice unfaltering, yet stuttering when she took the name.

Youngjin’s expression, too, changed to an enraged one.

“Nam Dongsun, who was suspended because of the ual harassment case?” Junmyeon spoke up. Sunhee shrivelled up by hearing his name again, then let out a dry laugh.

“You don’t have to, love.” Youngin said, as he held Sunhee by her shoulders, looking at her with sad, yet fond eyes.

“Junmyeon-ssi.” Sunhee took a deep breath, before she continued “I was the one to file that case.” She said, shaking her nervousness off.

 


 

Hey, guys! 

I hope you guys still like the story, and don't feel like I'm stretching it too much. But, all these details are ultimately important for the end. Where's the fun if there's only romance and no adventure? I think I'm going to include all my OCs to my list of characters. Thing is, OCs in the list of characters, personally confuses me a lot. So....I guess I'll just let it be. 

ANYWAY. I hope you guys will continue to be by my side, because it warms my heart so much to read your comments. My mis-terms ust ended, and so I've been unable to reply to you guys, but I will! 

THANK YOU FOR READING MY WORK, I LOVE YA'LL. <3