The Chase

It Could Only Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“An eye is meant to see things. The soul is here for its own joy.
A head has one use: For loving a true love. Feet: To chase after.
Love is for vanishing into the sky.” 

                                                         -Rumi

 

 

 

JiHyun walked up the steps to the Mansion's front door, a little nervous about what she would say. Last night she had gone in via the service entrance at the back; so she feels decidedly out of place standing near the lavish portal and entryway. Even the door knobs were three times the size of regular ones. She fixes her jacket and scarf, trying her best to look professional yet unassuming. Then she rings the doorbell. 
 

To her surprise the door opened almost immediately. An older woman stood in the entryway, her expression one of slight confusion as she looked at JiHyun.
 

"Oh hello, " she says, peering closely at JiHyun, "I thought maybe you were the catering company and had forgotten something. They just left. Well never mind. I'm the caretaker here. How can I help you?"
 

JiHyun smiles politely, using her most courteous manners.
 

"I'm sorry to bother you Ahjumoni-nim; but I was working here last night with the catering company and I lost my locket. Would you mind if I looked for it?"

The older woman seems to hesitate so JiHyun tries another tack.

"I think I dropped it outside. Would it be ok if I took a quick look at the terrace, please?" She smiles hopefully.
 

"Well..." the older woman looks doubtful, but she concedes, "if it's just outside, I don't see why not. Come along then." She leads JiHyun through the hallway and heads straight over towards the terrace doors at the far side of the house. On the way JiHyun sneaks a look around at the corridors in case the necklace might have fallen here but she doesn't see anything.

Soon they are outside again. In the warm autumn sun, the terrace looks like a beautiful place to take in the views of the bay and the changing leaves. And there was the bench looking perfectly ordinary, like any other innocent bench. JiHyun tries not to blush knowing that decidedly un-innocent things had happened there and silently voices an apology to the caretaker and the house's owner. She approaches the bench, hopeful that the necklace is there; but, as she gets closer, she realizes with a sinking feeling that the golden chain is nowhere in sight.

She peers everywhere underneath the bench and nearby; but, no luck. It was probably too much to hope that things would be that easy. She sighs and turns back to the caretaker.
 

"I don't think the locket is here; but thank you for letting me look. I'm very sorry to have bothered you," she bows gratefully, trying not to let her disappointment show too much, "Would you mind if I left you my number in case someone does find it?"

The caretaker nods sympathetically and pulls out her phone to store JiHyun's contact information. She must have felt sorry for the poor girl in front of her because when JiHyun asked if it would be ok to check the grounds, the lady had agreed and wished her luck before heading back inside.

JiHyun headed towards the steps that would lead her to the gardens. She had been in quite a panic last night, but she thinks she remembers the route she had taken and maybe she'd find her missing shoe as well. Saying a silent prayer that the Goddess of Luck would be in her favor, she slowly retraces her steps, her eyes scanning everywhere for the sight of a little gold heart.

 

------

 

Somewhere in the gardens, Chang Wook was mindlessly following a little path, the tiny little heart locket tucked warm in his hands. The sight of something caught in the bushes catches his eye. He heads towards it and realizes he's seen this before. It's a lady's shoe. A particular lady's shoe. 

He picks up the black slipper and chuckles. His Cinderella had apparently been in too much of a hurry last night. He was not surprised his stubborn JiHyun had rather gone shoeless than be caught in his tangled web.

It wasn't too flattering to think she had wanted to escape him that badly; but then again they really hadn't had a chance to talk last night. He had been too consumed with lust and heady with the feeling of her. No wonder she had ran away afterwards. Next time he saw her he would be more sane and rational. With a wry smile he notes to himself that he would definitely not jump her like a ravenous beast. 
 

Chang Wook continues walking until he reaches the back of the house again. It was a pretty day and, if anything, enjoying the quiet of his own company and being able to examine his thoughts without feeling the pain and anger that usually accompanied them had left him with a measure of peace. 

Was he confident he would find her? Yes. He wouldn't stop until he did. Was he sure she would have him? That part... that he didn't know but he was not going to stop trying.
 

As his legs take him through the large gardens he wonders again how JiHyun had been these past couple of years. It had been dark last night and admittedly the mask hid most of her features, but she had looked as beautiful as ever. Maybe more so. The locket in his hands feels warm and he presses it for what must be the umpteenth time to see the tiny little picture. She had been beautiful even from way back then.
 

He walks on farther into the back gardens until he sees a little gazebo. From here the house was barely visible over the tree tops, but it was as pretty a place as any to sit and contemplate.
 

He hadn't often allowed himself the luxury of thinking about her. Usually a feeling of helplessness would overcome him an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter