The Escape

It Could Only Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers
within yourself that you have built against it.” 

                                                                         - Rumi

 

 

Nam Ji Hyun isn't sure if her heart has remembered how to beat normally. She had flown to the outer stars, lost in bliss, only now to find herself earthbound again. She's still not sure how she had let herself plunge so deep into this madness; one moment kissing him then in the next losing herself entirely. But being in his arms felt so right even after all this time.

If only she could forget the world and stay here. But... sanity returns. She knows she has to go.
 

He musn't find out.
 

She tries to get up on shaky legs; but his arms hold firm. Through the mask she can see those eyes looking intently at her. A sense of impending danger makes her push even more frantically but his hold does not loosen.  Slowly, one hand reaches towards her mask. She closes her eyes and waits, her heart beating madly. There would be no escape for her; no way to address the fallout.

But, just then a loud gasp breaks the silence. She opens her eyes to see a woman standing near the farther doors, outlined in the light from the ballroom. Another figure appears behind her. Their expressions are hidden by the shadows but she knows without a doubt they are staring right at the scandalous scene on the terrace. At them.

Chang Wook releases his hold and sits forward to shelter her from their view.

Seeing her chance, JiHyun quickly gets up and dashes all the way to the end of the terrace and down the steps that lead to the gardens. She hears him call out and a woman's shrill voice but she doesn't wait around to find out what was happening. On and on she runs around the sides of the house, squeezing past bushes and following each turn and angle. One of her flats slip off but she leaves it, not wanting to waste time in case someone was in pursuit. She runs until she sees the familiar lights of the kitchen and then, gasping for air, she slows down.

She pauses in the shadows not sure where to go. She doesn't have her purse or belongings. For a minute she debates just leaving them and running. But, there was the small matter of the borrowed dress and the fact that most of her important belongings were in that purse.  And so, with her heart in her hands, she slips through the kitchen doors half-fearing he would already be here searching for her. But, all seems normal; as if what had just shattered her world moments ago had not happened at all.
 

She feels close to tears. How could she have been so reckless? 
 

"Nam Ji Hyun."  She freezes.
 

"Where have you been?"

She turns to see Madam Lee standing nearby with a stern look on her face; but, at the sight of JiHyun's bedraggled state, Madam quickly ushers her to the back room where JiHyun slumps down wearily on a chair.

"Tell me," the other lady urges, "What happened?"
 

JiHyun doesn't know what to say. Everything had happened. She tries to come up with an explanation, but sobs come out. God, why was she crying? 

Madam takes one look at her crumpled face and immediately goes to grab some tissues. She comes back, handing them to JiHyun.

"Did one of the guests bother you?" She presses.

JiHyun shakes her head though that was a complete lie. He bothered her in every way, even by just breathing.
 

Madam Lee sighs, "You have to tell me so we can sort it out. That's the only way I can protect my girls."
 

Just at that moment a small commotion seems to be happening in the kitchen. Voices are raised and, though she can't hear clearly what's being said, JiHyun recognizes the sound of Chang Wook's voice. She looks up at Madam, her panic clear in her eyes.
 

"Wait here," Madam says grimly, "I'll handle this."

In the next few minutes, she hears the stern tones of the caterer's voice, and then more from him going back and forth. Madam seems to have the last word though for soon it is over. Footsteps come closer to where JiHyun is hiding and she is ashamed to admit that she couldn't help cringing.
 

She sees with relief that it's Madam Lee, though the frown on the other woman's face was more severe than usual. JiHyun, takes a deep breath and prepares herself for what's next. She had snuck away and probably broken each and every rule and more. She waits in judgment, her hands clasped together.
 

"Well," Madam sighs, "I still have no clue what happened; but rest assured he is gone." He must not have told her.
 

"I assume that's the person you were running away from?" Madam looks at her closely,  "I told him you had left. And that if he came near any of my girls again I would let it be known wide and clear through my particular channels. But... don't you recognize who he is?"

When JiHyun doesn't respond, Madam continues on. 

"He's one of the biggest stars out there, you know. And, honestly I'm a little shocked. He has a reputation with the ladies but never one to force himself on a girl."
 

"He didn't," JiHyun asserts, "He didn't force himself on me."  
 

Madam Lee looks at her skeptically but shrugs in acceptance. "If it makes you feel better, he apologized again and again. He says he just wants to talk to you. He wants your number."

The last is posed almost like a question.
 

JiHyun shakes her head, "No, I don't have time for any of that. I have to make a living."
 

"Well," the older lady adds

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter