The Devil/Prince

It Could Only Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You could string a hundred endless days together,
My soul would find no comfort from this pain.
You laugh at my tale? You may be learned
But you haven’t learned to love till you’re insane” 

                                                                      -Rumi

 

 

 

When Ji Chang Wook watched the silver car pull away from the mansion, his first instinct had been to keep running. This was frankly a terrible idea; for no man, not even one spurred by the powers of love could have caught up to a german engineered twin-turbocharged engine.  Luckily for Chang Wook he spies his motor bike and decides on a better option. Within seconds he was zooming past the gates and down the narrow, winding roads until he finally caught up to the vehicle.

 

As he gets a little closer, Chang Wook notes with surprise that the car is a high luxury Maybach. Whoever owned the vehicle had money and a lot of it. Which raised the question: who the hell was the owner? And why was a girl who worked as a maid riding around in a 300 million won car? He gets an even bigger shock when the car pulls through the gates of another large mansion not very far from the one they had just left.

 

 Chang Wook pulls to the side to take a better look. The gold-painted gates had swung shut on motorized hinges to conceal whatever lay behind them. The walls themselves were over 10 feet high and a property such as this would have state of the art camera and security systems set up. Unlike the characters he played on TV, was no way he could walk or climb his way in.  Unfortunately he had neither the skills nor the fake technology of his TV characters to accompish that feat. So how the hell could he find out where she had gone?
 

He spies a little intercom next to the gate and the answer hits him. Of course, it was so obvious. He should just ask.  He presses the intercom button and waits. A voice buzzes from the other side.

"Yes, how can I help you?"
 

Chang Wook tries to think fast on his feet, "I'm here with a delivery for Mr, uh, Mr Nam Goongmin."

"Who?"

"Mr. Nam Sung Min"

"Sorry, you have the wrong address."

"But, this is the Nam residence, right?"

"Yes, but there's no Nam Sung Min here."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Maybe I'm not reading the name right. Maybe it's Mr. Nam Kang Min?"

The voice on the other end sighs impatiently, "Listen, there's definitely no Nam Sung min, Nam Kang Min, Nam Han Min or whatever it is you have. So, goodbye."

The intercom rudely cuts off. 

That wasn't much to go on but what were the chances the owner of the mansion had the same surname as JiHyun?  Could this  be her Incheon relatives? And, if so, what was she doing serving at scandalous parties where any drunk could take advantage of or her? He remembers with some remorse one particular who had done that. What the hell had he been thinking touching her like that?


He hadn't. Been thinking, that is.

 

But he vows to be more in control the next time he saw her. And this new complication was not going to stop him. She could be the golden child of Emperor Sejong himself and it wouldn't change a thing. But  even so, it was a little hard to believe. Was the island girl he knew actually a rich chaebol's daughter? And if she really was  from a rich family, why then had she been running a tiny guest house on a faraway island? And why would she now be working as a maidservant? Things didn't add up.
 

For a long moment he waits. At the back of his mind he knew there was a chance she wouldn't be leaving at all for the day, especially -as improbable as it seemed- especially if this was where she lived. But he had already come this far so he wasn't going to give up now.
 

As if the Gods could read his mind, one of the gates swings open and out walks a slender woman, her attention on the phone by her ear. Her hair was a little shorter but everything else about her was as he remembered. The way she walked, the brush of her hair against her neck. For so long he had dreamt of her and now, now that she is actually here, he feels…. lost.
 

What the hell should he say?

Without realizing it he calls our her name. She freezes. Then very slowly she turns around. He had forgotten he still had his helmet on. As if in a daze he pulls it off then walks towards her his eyes unable to look away from the face that had haunted him during endless nights. He gets close enough to pull her into his arms. But he doesn’t. 
 

He looks at the woman before him. Her hair used to be long; but now soft layers frame her face as the strands fall to her shoulders. This JiHyun had a hint of lip gloss on, drawing his eyes to those soft lips. It was her, a little different, and yet as beautiful as ever.

A thousand emotio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter