The Hunt

It Could Only Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“O my choice beauty
You've gone
But your love remains in my heart
Your image in my eye
O guide on my winding road
I keep turning round and round in the hopes of
Finding you” 

                                                                         - Rumi

 

 

 

Ji Chang Wook was a determined man. His momentary distraction had let her slip away but he knew now she was here and he would find her.  The rational part of him wonders if he could be mistaken. After all, the girl had a mask on and had never revealed herself. Maybe his mind had only seen what it wanted to see.


But, no. His body knew her. His, whatever-it-was-that-made-you-feel-inside, knew her. It was his JiHyun and the more he thought about it, the more he knew that whatever had lain between them was as strong as it had ever been, despite the years.

Why else would they have succumbed to such madness? If they had been discovered a moment sooner, tangled together with their clothes undone, the scandal would have been much larger. But as it was, all he had to deal with was his sulky co-star who had discovered him embracing another woman. 

Whispers had quickly spread throughout the room and he had been met with knowing glances and smiles. The who had appeared on the terrace with Ms. Princess had given him a thumbs up for dallying with the help and Chang Wook had been tempted to punch the smug look off his face. He didn't remember the bastard's name but it was some chaebol rich kid who had less sense than money.

Chang Wook hadn't wanted to make it a bigger deal so he had smiled nonchalantly, pretending he was only mildly amused by the whole thing. But, as soon as he could, he slipped away to the kitchens. Logically that was where she would have headed.

It had all seemed so simple except when he got there he had been met by a fierce dragon-woman who had almost chewed his head off. Chang Wook had found himself in the rare position of trying to explain himself. It's not like he could have revealed the truth of what had happened. He had met a stranger who had turned out to be his first love, touched her intimately and performed lewd acts in the open air and now he wanted her number. Dragon lady would have had his head.

Then again, maybe he should have revealed that. It could have gotten him a lot farther than where he was now. As it was, he had no JiHyun and no way to contact her. He hadn't been sure if she was still there or had really left like Dragon lady said. Part of him wanted to turn the kitchen upside down looking for her, but there were too many eyes watching and Dragon lady herself would have broken him with her bare hands if he had dared.

The older woman had given him one concession by handing him the the catering company's contact information and saying she would pass his message along to the girl. That was his only lead and and the fact that Nam Ji Hyun was probably living in Incheon. Which made sense considering that's where her Aunt said her father had been from.

Perhaps he could try track down her relatives. How many Nams could there be in this small city of 3 million people?

A rustling next to him reminds him that he's not alone. He was currently headed back to Seoul which was the last thing he wanted to do but unfortunate circumstances had tied his hands. And by unfortunate circumstances he meant one very drunk actress.

"You're such a jerk!!" The woman next to him gives him a clumsy punch on the arm but her aim is so poor she misses entirely, "I hate you..." She slurs, her head lolling back on the seat.

Chang Wook frowns in agitation. He would much rather be searching door to door right now but he had to deal with this. His co-star had gotten sloppy drunk and somehow he had found himself in the unenviable position of having to her back to Seoul.
 

He had only been half-joking when he thought Miss Princess had escaped her manager; but turns out she had slipped out alone and taken a cab all the way. How she had managed to get into the party was anybody's guess; but right now she had become a f-king nuisance. He had threatened to call her manager but she had begged and cried and stubbornly refused to call her manager herself or let Chang Wook have his number. 

Near the end of the party she had started to make quite a scene, accusing Chang Wook of cheating and breaking her heart. People were starting to whisper and he knew, despite the masks, their identities were known to everyone. And so he had called a car service and bundled her in. At the last minute he had gotten in himself because the thought of leaving a passed-out drunk woman to go home alone seemed heartless even to him. Plus he didn't know where to send her.

Anyhow that was his current dilemma. Where the hell did he drop her off? There was no way he was taking Miss Princess to his apartment. He had moved out from his mother's a while back into his own bachelor's digs and if the media found out that he brought her there, they would have a field day. Taking her to a hotel room would be even worse.

As the car takes them further away from Incheon he chafes even more. Somewhere out there was Nam Ji Hyun and he was going the wrong way. He looks again with irritation at the woman next to him. As if she can read his mind, she lurches up suddenly and makes gagging sounds. Great. That was exactly what he needed.
 

Luckily, she doesn't hurl, but Chang Wook scoots as far away as possible just in case. He hears a little buzzing sound coming from near her and risks reaching around trying to find her phone. The Gods must be on his side because it turns out to be her manager.
 

Chang Wook answers and quickly explains the whole situation. The manager gives him an address and promises to meet him there and not long after the particular problem is dropped off in the Manager's waiting arms. Chang Wook debates turning around and heading straight back to Incheon; but at this point it was already the early hours of the morning. He gives the driver his home address instead, deciding to wait until the sun comes up before he puts a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter