The Way Home

It Could Only Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“A lover is always accused of something
But when he finds his love, whatever was lost in the looking
comes back completely changed.” 

                                                                                    - Rumi

 

 

Ji Chang Wook was sitting at his dressing table getting his makeup done for the day's shoot. Every once in a while he would peek at his phone to make sure it was on (yes, it was) and that he hadn't missed a message (no, he hadn't).
 

He wasn't sure why he felt so anxious but a part of him still expected JiHyun to disappear again without a trace.
 

His mind would revisit the events of the day before, remembering the way she had looked and felt. She had been as beautiful as his memories painted her, perhaps even more so. Sometimes it was hard to believe he had found her again after all this time.
 

He checked his phone again. Still no message.

Part of him had wanted to believe the fairytale that once he found the princess, he would rescue her and they could live happily ever after. But she had not wanted rescuing nor was she the type who would ever admit to it. Even so, there were moments when he sensed JiHyun fighting some inner conflict. He didn't know what she was resisting; but that was a mystery he planned to unravel.
 

Not long after they parted he had sent JiHyun his schedule for the next month so they could coordinate a time to meet. She had replied back to confirm she received it; but he hadn't heard anything since.  The knowledge that she was just a short text away had been pure torture; but his instincts told him the next move had to be hers. 
 

But that didn't stop him from looking at his phone every other minute.


Right on cue he hears a beep letting him know he had an incoming message.  Chang Wook sneaks a quick look but when he sees the name on the Kakao alert, he abandons all attempts to be subtle and gets up, giving his makeup artist an apologetic look. 

"I'll be right back," he mumbles before stepping out into the empty hallway.
 

In the quiet he takes a deep breath and opens the message.
 

[JH95917] : Let's meet tomorrow. 1pm. Across from the Gyeongbuk Palace's East Gate. 
 

The palace? In the message JiHyun had included a map link with the coordinates so he clicked on it and sure enough where she wanted to meet was near the large Joseon era palace complex. Did she want to go sight-seeing?

He doesn't have much time to ponder this when a door opens nearby and his co-star comes out from her dressing room already dressed for today's shoot. She sees him and walks over, a hesitant smile on her face. Things had been a little awkward between them after that night she got drunk. She had largely avoided him except for when they had to film scenes together. To be honest it had been a bit of a relief for him because she had gotten rather clingy lately and he could only be so polite about it.

"Chang Wook-Oppa..." she starts, looking at him hesistantly, "I didn't get a chance to tell you this, but I'm really really sorry about the other night."

He sighs, "It's fine. Forget about it."

She smiles, a hopeful look in her eyes, "Are you free tomorrow? Want to come over and practice some scenes with me?" She peeks at him through her lashes.

Oh, hell no. Chang Wook had spent over a decade in this industry and he knew any kind of entanglement like this could spell trouble. It's not that she was a bad person, but he'd seen the signs of her crush on him and he didn't want her to get her hopes up. He was not available.

"Sorry, kid," he deflects,  "I have plans tomorrow."
 

Her eyes shoot daggers at him, "I'm not a kid!" she huffs in frustration, "Also.... also, your brows are uneven!" And with that parting shot she stomps away.
 

This reminded Chang Wook that his makeup artist was still waiting. He shakes his head then steps back in to his dressing room. His fingers hover over his phone wondering what he should reply back to JiHyun.

He types a simple "Ok". But that seems too short so he adds: "Looking forward to it" .

He is about to send this, when he changes his mind and presses delete a few time. He rubs his head in frustration, ruining the carefully coiffed style before he finally opts for a casual "Ok, see you then"  and hits Send.

There. Done. It hits him that he would be seeing her again  tomorrow and, despite himself, his heart beats happily in anticipation.
 

 



The next day JiHyun heads over to the subway station right after class and gets on the #2 Green line. It would take one more transfer and a little under an hour to get to the meeting spot. But, she had chosen the place especially because it was far away and the chances of seeing someone she knew was small. Also there was something she wanted to go see.
 

It hadn't been easy to pick a day. JiHyun usually worked Wednesday (and Friday, Saturday and Sunday) afternoons at the florist shop but she had asked Shop Owner-unnie if she could take today off. Her boss had been so surprised since JiHyun rarely called off; but she had said yes. Weekdays were not as busy as weekends anyway at the shop.
 

As per usual, JiHyun had one of her notebooks open on her lap during the train ride; but her mind was not on schoolwork. Her hands clutched and unclutched her locket nervously. Last night she had been unable to sleep. Everytime she closed her eyes she would wake up in a panic feeling like something was missing. Finally she had tiptoed to the room next to hers and sat until dawn watching the slow rise and fall of her little one's breathing.  

In the early dawn light, a million possibilities and questions grappled in her mind. She had been living in denial all this time, thinking everything could continue on the way that it had; but now that he had appeared again in their lives, she could no longer ignore the question of whether to tell him.

It wasn't that she had planned to hide everything. In the beginning JiHyun had made an attempt to get in touch with Chang Wook-Oppa but he had been in China and it had proved impossible to contact him. It seemed Fate was determined to keep him unawares and in the end it seemed better for his sake that he didn't know.
 

And then... time took the matter out of her hands.

Autumn became Winter and  Spring came around after. And soon enough, once the flowers were in full bloom and the days had grown warm, beautiful little HyeSun had arrived. JiHyun had named her 慧 for intelligent and wise and 仙 after the immortals who, according to Jeju lore, once blessed Mount Halla. It was a name with a lot of expectations for one so little; but JiHyun wanted her daughter to rise above whatever life handed her with grace and strength.

Even though things were better than they used to be ten years ago, society still judged single mothers and their children harshly. JiHyun knew she had to work twice as hard to build a future and be provider and protector to her little one. As a child with no father, her daughter would have to face so many challenges.

But, as she sat in the soft light of dawn watching her baby sleep, JiHyun made herself face the stark truth that despite their attempts to pretend otherwise, HyeSun did indeed have a father. Her little girl deserved a chance at knowing her other parent. And the man she had once loved with all her heart deserved to know about his daughter.
 

And so this was why she was now on a train hurtling towards the terrifying unknown. Only the Gods could tell how this would play out and so far in this life they had not been kind to her. JiHyun reminds herself  however that there was something more important at stake than pride or fear or even her own heart. For the sake of her daughter's future she had to figure out some kind of amicable solution with this man who she had loved.
 

But she couldn't help bracing for the worse. If she thought she would ruin his life before, well, this would surely do it. She could picture the tabloid headings already: "Top Star had secret child out of wedlock" or something worded much more scandalously.


A kernel of doubt enters her mind. Perhaps she shouldn't tell him. After all, if he never knew then neither would anyone else and in this way she could protect him and HyeSun. Her mind goes back and forth the whole way until finally she reaches her destination with no decision made.
 

It's not quite 1 o' clock when JiHyun arrives at the promised meeting spot. Across the street she sees the tall walls surrounding the massive Gyeongbuk Palace complex. The now unused East Gate looms large, evidence of the wealth and might of that long ago Joseon dynasty.

The palace is a popular tourist destination and on the other side of the wall, there was probably a small crowd of people milling around. But here on the outside and far from the main gates, the streets are quiet. JiHyun looks around and notes only a few other people sitting at a nearby bus stop. A couple of older ladies were chatting together, hands gesturing along busily.  A girl around her age sat next to them engrossed with her phone.  On the opposite side a scruffy looking man leaned bored against the bus stop. 
 

Something about the line of his shoulders made JiHyun take a second look. He was wearing a long black coat that seemed to be trendy with all the hipsters. This one however looked like it needed a good cleaning and the rest of him was just as scruffy. His longish hair fell unevenly past his chin and was partially covered by a beige coloured beanie. 
 

The man was staring across the street, but, as if he could sense JiHyun's eyes on him he turns and looks at her. Even from this distance she feels a jolt of recognition. No. It couldn't be. She watches in disbelief as he casually straightens then starts walking towards her with a familiar gait.

As he gets closer she notices the goatee and scruff on his face. At the look she gave him he grins and rubs the most likely fake facial hair self-consciously. The sight is so absurd that she breaks into an answering smile, holding back her astonished giggles when he stops right in front of her.

"Do I know you?" she teases.
 

"How do you like my I'm-not-a-famous-actor look?" he asks, cocking one eyebrow.

"Is that what it is?" she smiles,  "I was sure it was the I-don't-have-a-shower-at-home look. Did you raid the special effects closet at work?"

He grins sheepishly at this, which meant it must be true. All of a sudden JiHyun feels like she is twenty-one again and just a girl hanging out with a cute, funny boy. The thought brings her back to reality and she straightens up. She was not a wide-eyed girl, and he was far from a simple boy as evidenced by this elaborate get-up he had to use.

"Mr. Ji, shall we go?" She starts walking, leaving him to catch up to her quick strides. His longer legs easily pick up the pace.

"You know, " he points out, "If you want to go see the palace the entrance is the other way."

"We're not going to see the palace," she replies.

"Oh? Too bad. I've never been but I did play an Emperor once," he adds conversationally, "He was insane and was poisoned to death, but he loved to the point of madness. I can sympathize with that." He tosses that last bit out and looks to her for a response.

JiHyun knows which show he was talking about but she ignores the provocation in his words and keeps walking deteminedly.

A gentle hold on her elbow makes her pause. She turns to see his eyes look searchingly at hers, and for a second she feels the weight of that gaze pulling her in.

"Are you upset at me?" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter