The Heiress

It Could Only Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“The real beloved is your beginning and your end.
When you find that one, you'll no longer expect anything else” 

                                                                     -Rumi

 

 

 

 

Ji Chang Wook sits contemplatively in a corner of a little cafe, sipping his Americano. He had just finished another long overnight session of filming and had headed straight here from the set. The shot of caffeine was therefore much needed and most welcome. He was in a quaint little teashop (that made a surprisingly good brew of coffee), hidden in the backstreets of Sinchon not far from the rowdier Hondae district.
 

The place had a cozy, eclectic feel; with mismatched armchairs and plush settees creating private little spots for customers to pull up to a good book or chat with friends. An assortment of chinaware and old-fashioned clocks decorated the walls, adding to its charm.
 

Nobody here had seemed to make any note of the man sitting alone in the nook upstairs. Chang Wook had had his beanie pulled low and his face mask on when he walked in; but the few customers he'd noticed were too preoccupied anyway to look up. They seemed to be busy with their laptops and textbooks spread around them.

The neighbourhood was close to several universities which explained why everyone here looked like a student. He could imagine JiHyun as one of them, studiously reading her notes and preparing for exams as she sat in a quiet little corner.  During the past two years she must have worked hard. In fact a lot must have happened to her in that time. Moving towns, going to college, building a new life. 
 

For him, the two years had seemed endless. He had been busy, always on the go from one project to the next; but, in a strange paradox, he had felt stuck in one place. As if the him from two years ago had been unable to escape that day when things fell apart.
 

Yesterday had added even more to his confusion. The afternoon had been going so well, until it hadn't. She had seemed to be more comfortable with him, much less skittish and here and there he would see glimpses of the JiHyun from long ago who enjoyed teasing him. His heart had felt lighter for it. 
 

But then he had blown it.

He had asked her for seven days, but just on the first day itself he'd acted impatiently.  That kiss had been everything he'd wanted... but then it had caused her to retreat again. Why couldn't he control himself, damn it?  He remembers her pale face after the kiss. She had been terrified and he felt like a jerk for making her feel that way. Which is why, even though he had been frustrated and confused as hell, he had walked away.

And now Chang Wook is nervous. Because he doesn't know if she will show up; or, if he had completely screwed things up.

He glances at his watch. She should be here anytime now. His legs feel jitterish ; but pacing would make things worse. He thinks back again to what she had said; that she needed to tell him something.  It couldn't be good; otherwise she wouldn't have hesitated to tell him. Was she seeing someone else? The thought makes him even more aggravated so he rudely tells his mind to shut it. She would come and she would tell him. There was no point driving himself mad over it.
 

From where he sat on the landing upstairs, Chang Wook could directly see the cafe's entrance. And so it was, he noticed her the very second she stepped in. The day was cloudy and grey, but sunshine still seemed to cling to her as she walked through the door. She looks around, not finding him in the main area downstairs. He waits. Finally she glances up and her eyes widen as she sees him staring from the upper floor. She quickly nods, acknowledging that she had seen him, then goes to the counter to order her drink.


A little more time passes before he hears her footsteps coming up the stairs. Finally, she is there in front of him, bowing politely again. Her eyes look tired, but she is as beautiful as ever in a sweater and dress that made him think of autumn and sunlight. 

He instinctly gets up, but stops himself at the last minute from reaching for her. 

"I'm sorry for making you wait, Ji Chang Wook-ssi," she murmurs, her voice sounding distant and polite

Ah, he thinks, she is going to hide behind politeness again.  He brushes off the apology and sinks back down on to his seat. So... she had showed up. The only thing left was to hear what she had to say.

Chang Wook braces himself.

 

 

 

 

A clock ticking nearby marks each second that goes by. Nam Ji Hyun looks nervously at her hands. She had spent most of last night trying to think of what to say; how best to let him know. But with the moment of truth upon them, the words would not come.  

The rattle of tea cups on a tray signals a reprieve. A cafe worker comes by with the drink she had ordered and for a few minutes JiHyun preoccupies herself with the distraction, murmuring her thanks. All too soon, however, the cafe worker leaves and it is just the two of them again.

JiHyun knows there was no point delaying this anymore. She takes a deep breath.
 

"Ji Chang Wook-ssi..."

Her phone rings in her coat pocket making her jump. She glances apologetically at Chang Wook and takes it out to put it on silent. To her surprise it's her Sungmo, her Aunt on her father's side. Ever since that side of the family had cut her off, JiHyun hadn't seen Sungmo except for that day when she'd been summoned to the family home.  There had been the occasional phone call; but those were rare.

JiHyun declines the call and makes a note to return it later. She had to focus on this impossible conversation at hand first. Or it would be a conversation if she actually said something.
 

"I'm sorry about that," she murmurs apologetically then decides to get right to the point.

"Ji Chang Wook-ssi, thank you for coming today. I have something important to tell you. And I want you to know that I will accept however you feel about it. The thing is..." Ji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter