"I Win"

Farm Boy

Chapter 3: I Win


1774 words


 

“How did I fall for you this much?

I don’t even know

Why are you lingering around me?

Whatever you do, I notice

Whatever I do, I’m curious about you”

  • Listen to “Talk Love” by K.Will while reading this section

 

<>Baekhyun POV<>

The next day, Baekhyun was dragged out of his deep slumber by the smell of bacon. He sat up groggily, for a second completely forgetting where he was before seeing Chanyeol’s shirtless form standing in front of a small stove in the kitchenette of the loft. He rubbed his eyes and stretched upwards, and when he looked over again Chanyeol was facing him.

 

“Good morning, sleeping beauty” Chanyeol baritone voice rang through the air.

 

Baekhyun felt heat rising to his cheeks and quickly climbed out of bed to hide his face from the giant’s deep brown eyes. He hastily grabbed a black t-shirt, jean shorts, and his toothbrush from his unpacked bags before scuttling hastily across the floor to the bathroom. As soon as he was in the bathroom he locked the door, sighing at his reflection in the mirror.

 

Sleeping beauty? Is he saying I’m beautiful? Or was he just joking around? God why do I even care what he meant, what is wrong with me! Get it together Baek.

 

Baekhyun buried his face in his hands, slapping his cheeks a few times before changing into his new outfit and brushing his teeth. He tried unsuccessfully to make his hair look presentable, giving up after a minute and taking a deep breath before heading back out to the loft.

 

Bon Appetite,” Chanyeol sing-songed before setting two plates of food on a small table next to the kitchenette. Baekhyun was practically drooling at the smell of the food before him, so he sat down quickly and began to eat. As he was shoveling a piece of bacon into his mouth, he glanced up to see Chanyeol smiling at him from across the table. Baekhyun felt that familiar heat rising to his cheeks and he quickly looked back down at his plate, garnering a melodic chuckle from the taller boy.

 

Why is he looking at me?

 

“So… what are we doing today” Baekhyun stuttered to break the long silence.

 

“I was thinking of taking you to one of my favorite spots on the farm.”

 

“Ok… where is it?”
 

“That’s a secret.”

 

“Can’t you just tell me?” Baekhyun pouted. He hated surprises.

 

The corner of Chanyeol’s lip turned up into a smirk at the younger boy’s petulance.

 

“You’ll find out when you get there.”

 

“Fine.” Baekhyun huffed before getting up to clean his plate.

 

“Let me.” Chanyeol came up behind him and tried to take the plate from Baekhyun’s hand.

 

“I am perfectly capable of cleaning a plate, thanks.” Baekhyun fired back, stalking towards the sink.

 

Baekhyun gasped as he was spun around and pushed against the edge of the metal sink, looking up into Chanyeol’s eyes with shock. Chanyeol leaned in close to Baekhyun’s face, eyes sparkling with mischief as he stretched his hand behind Baekhyun’s body towards his hand, which was currently braced against the edge of the sink. Before the shorter male had time to react, the plate was snatched from his hand and Chanyeol moved backwards, smiling in triumph.

 

“That’s not fair,” Baekhyun tried to reach for the plate but Chanyeol held it high above his head out of the short man’s reach, “You can’t do that.” But Chanyeol wouldn’t budge.

 

“ you.” Baekhyun grumbled before surrendering and stomping back to his chair. Now would have been a great time to look at his phone if his parents hadn’t taken it before he left for the farm. Instead, Baekhyun satisfied himself with looking out the window of the loft towards the pasture, watching a horse munch on some grass.

 

I can’t keep letting him mess with me.

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

“As my heart becomes closer to you

The world becomes more beautiful

If you feel my nervousness

Will you wait just a little bit?”

  • Listen to “Stand by Me” by SHINee while reading this section

 

<>Chanyeol POV<>

“You didn’t tell me we were going to ride the horses!” Baekhyun exclaimed as Chanyeol smiled at him.

 

“Come on, it’s not that scary once you start moving!”

 

“That seems very unlikely.” Chanyeol held the horse’s lead as he watched Baekhyun gnawed on his lower lip, deep in thought.

 

“I can’t do this.” Baekhyun lamented.

 

“Well you’re going to try, up you go!” Chanyeol let go of the lead and placed his hands on Baekhyun’s waist, lifting him up onto the horse.


“No no no get me off!” Baekhyun’s eyes were wide as he tried to find a place to put his hands.

 

“Here, put this hand here on the saddle horn, and this one on the bridle like this,” Chanyeol gently guided the scared boy’s dainty hands to the right places on the riding gear, “There you go!”

 

“I really don’t think I can do this.”

 

“Come on Baek, Penelope is the gentlest, easiest horse to ride, she’ll do practically all of the work for you!”

 

A few minutes later, Baekhyun was tentatively walking the horse in circles around the field, Chanyeol holding onto the lead and guiding the horse.

 

“You think you’re ready to go on the trail”

 

“Um… sure i guess?” Baekhyun bit his lip as he struggled to stop the horse.

 

Damn, he’s so cute when he’s nervous like this.

 

Chanyeol smiled as he mounted his own horse and let Baekhyun walk in front of him as they began to trek up the trail away from the farm into the woods. He could see the tension in Baekhyun’s body, and he stifled a chuckle at how nervous the boy was. After about 10 minutes of walking, they came to a clearing in the woods and Chanyeol stopped his horse. He dismounted and helped Baekhyun stop and dismount his horse.

 

“Ok, now close your eyes.” Chanyeol instructed

 

“No!” Baekhyun protested

 

Chanyeol reached his hands forward and turned Baekhyun around, covering the shorter’s eyes with his hands. Baekhyun stiffened under his touch, and he smiled as he began to lead the boy towards his favorite spot.

 

“Ok, ready?”

 

Baekhyun nodded slightly before Chanyeol removed his hands, and Baekhyun gasped. They were standing in a sunlit clearing with a calf-deep brook running through the middle. The tree covering on the sides of the banks made the sun shine through in slotted patterns onto the grass. Chanyeol watched Baekhyun’s face closely as a small smile spread across his features.

 

“What do you think?” Chanyeol smiled softly

 

“I… wow…” Baekhyun was speechless.

 

They stood in silence for a few moments before Chanyeol got a brilliant idea. While Baekhyun was distracted, Chanyeol reached forward and spun him around, picking him up and hoisting him over his broad shoulder.

 

“What are you doing you idiot! Put me down!” Baekhyun protested.

Chanyeol felt the other boy’s hands cling to the back of his shirt and pull on the fabric as he started walking towards the brook.

 

“Where are you going? If you don’t put me down in 5 seconds I’m seriously going to be mad.”

Chanyeol chuckled at the useless threat and kicked his boots off as he stepped into the brook.

 

“Put me--” Chanyeol didn’t let him finish before he lifted Baekhyun off his shoulder and dropped him unceremoniously into the water.

 

He heard Baekhyun gasp and smiled wildly, beginning to run back up the bank out of harm’s way, but he felt a hand grab his ankle and yank him back. He toppled over into the water and reoriented himself, finding Baekhyun’s standing form and grabbing his ankles, pulling him back down. The struggle continued for a few seconds before Chanyeol grabbed Baek’s shoulders and pushed him down into the water, straddling his torso as the shorter boy fell onto his back.

 

Chanyeol smiled at Baekhyun’s angry, breathless expression below him, lifting his hand and brushing a strand of the soaking wet brown hair out of the boy’s face.

 

“I win.” Chanyeol smirked.

 

Baekhyun’s mouth slipped into his trademark pout, this time laced with the remnants of his playful anger.

 

“What are you going to give me for my prize?” Chanyeol murmured, leaning in closer towards the boy below him.

“I-- Nothing!” Baekhyun stammered, turning his face to the side.

“Well I’m not getting up until I get my prize.” Chanyeol teased, still leaning closer, “How about a kiss?”

 

“What? No!”

 

Chanyeol leaned in and brushed his lips against the outer edge of Baekhyun’s ear, moving down his jawline and stopping at the dip between his jaw and his neck.

 

Not yet. I have to wait until tonight.

 

His lips broke into a smile before he pushed himself up and stood, walking towards the bank in the direction of the horses.

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

“It’s bad so it’s better
You know on the inside
You can’t stop it now
So be honest with me”

  • Listen to Pied Piper by BTS while reading this section

 

<>Baekhyun POV<>

.

 

Baekhyun struggled to catch his breath as he lay on the edge of the brook where Chanyeol had left him. His heart was pounding so hard he thought it would explode from his chest.

 

Why didn’t I stop him?

 

He slowly willed his shaky legs to support him as he pushed himself out of the water and pushed his hair back, catching his breath. He walked slowly back towards the horses, avoiding Chanyeol eyes as he came into view. He couldn’t decide whether to be mad at him or pretend like nothing happened. He decided to go with the latter.

 

“Where to next?” Baekhyun broke the silence between them, attempting to mount his horse. He slipped his foot into the stirrup and tried to lift himself over the horse, almost slipping back down, but he felt those large hands on his hips, lifting him up onto the horse.

 

“I’ve got it thanks.” Baekhyun snapped, grabbing the reins and digging his heels into his horse’s flank, coaxing her to walk forwards.

 

The sun was beginning its descent from the highest point in the sky. Baekhyun guessed it was about 2 in the afternoon, but without his phone he really didn’t know. He walked his horse in silence down the path, hearing the hoofs of Chanyeol’s horse drawing closer.

 

“Do you even know where you’re going?” the second horse up beside him and Chanyeol leaned over to taunt him.

 

“Yes I do, actually.” Baekhyun sped his horse up to a fast walk to try and get ahead of Chanyeol, but the other male quickly trotted past him and lead the way back to the farm.