Flowery encounter

Twist of Fate

A shrill ringing resounded through a dark apartment, an alarm clock trying its best to wake the occupant of a wide bed standing inside of the bedroom located across from the bathroom. The figure shifted under the fluffy duvet, arm slowly stretched out and hand searching for the unpleasant intruder that had ripped him out of his dream. It had been a nice dream, as far as he could remember, but the pictures were already fading away.

“Stupid alarm clock,” he grumbled, face buried deep in his pillow and black hair dishevelled. With a sigh he ce more in his bed, eyes peeping open and lying on the empty spot next to him. Ever so softly his left hand was brushing over the second pillow, unused for two days already. His eyes were lingering on the silver shining band gracing his left ring finger.

He sighed, shifting once more in his bed and lay on his back with eyes focused on the ceiling. It was two days ago that JongWan had left for his job in Japan and JaeJoong already missed him, left behind in their apartment in Seoul.

Despite the early hour of the day, it was past seven a.m., the sun had already risen and brightened the day, shining into JaeJoong's face when he walked through the park near the residential area towards the flower shop of his parents. He sighed on his way, eyes downcast, when he remembered the two weeks before JongWan left for his business trip. The aura around them had been a bit tensed after JaeJoong had heard about the accepted offer and he had tried to distract himself by working in the flower shop or, what he loved the most, arranging the flowers inside of the park he always took care of. It had helped him a lot to calm down as JaeJoong didn't like to be mad at JongWan.

A soft smile scurried over JaeJoong's lips when he remembered that JongWan had tried hard to make up for his decision. They had spent a lot of time together at home or went to the cinema, taking a walk and whatnot. JaeJoong was happy that JongWan had accompanied him during shopping, which the latter rarely did as he was often too caught up with his work. JongWan was a workaholic, JaeJoong knew that, which was why he loved their shared time together even more.

A little bell chimed above his head when he stepped into the flower shop, ripping him out of his thoughts. He lifted his eyes and was greeted by his parents already rummaging around in their shop. He smiled.

“Good morning,” he greeted, his father greeting him back as his mother pecked his cheek as a welcome.

“I think we can arrange our flowers. Your father already cleaned the floor and, ah, right on time,” JaeJoong's mother said, sentence interrupted when a truck arrived in front of their glass door, laden with their order of flowers.

“I'll take care of that, you two arrange the flowers when I hand them to you,” JaeJoong's father remarked whilst making his way out of the shop. It was routine for the family already. JaeJoong's father would take care of finances and the bureaucratic stuff whilst he and his mother would take care of the flowers and customers.

“I'll take care of the roses,” JaeJoong's mother said to JaeJoong, palming his cheek when she continued, “If your customer wants roses, tell me.”

“Yeah, mom. I won't forget that,” JaeJoong replied, chuckling a bit. He loved to work with flowers, the more it was a problem for him that roses were something he couldn't go near; neither touch nor smell. JaeJoong was allergic to roses, which was the reason why they always stood in a corner far away from him and his mother would be the one to get them for him when a customer needed them. It was a bit out of the ordinary but JaeJoong had grown up with it. He indeed liked to look at roses, it was just that they didn't like him.

It was at noon when the bell chimed, several customers had already visited the flower shop and JaeJoong was inside of the staff room taking a break. He rose to his feet when he heard incoherent babbling and gurgling, a wide smile on his face.

“Hello, MiYoung-ah. Come to grandma,” JaeJoong's mother chimed when he came out of the staff room, eyes falling onto his young niece.

“JaeJoong,” someone chimed, a melodious female voice which caused JaeJoong to turn towards her. With a wide smile JaeJoong hugged his older sister who was a bit smaller than him.

“Hey. I didn't know you'd come by,” he replied, turning towards his mother who was holding his 7 months old niece. She was babbling and smiling happily, her little hand slapping against JaeJoong's chin and lips when he took her into his arms.

“Well, since I knew you'd be here I wanted to visit you,” HyoJin exclaimed with a gentle smile on her lips when she eyed JaeJoong and her daughter. “And because I know you'd love to go for a walk with me and MiYoung,” she further said, causing JaeJoong to look at her.

“Sure, I'd love to,” JaeJoong chimed excitedly, nuzzling his niece's nose who in return giggled.

“Then call it a day for today and go with the two. You can arrange the flowers in the park later by yourself,” JaeJoong's mother exclaimed and received a kiss of JaeJoong onto her cheek.

Not even five minutes later JaeJoong left the flower shop together with his sister and niece, MiYoung lying in her buggy and slowly fell asleep whilst JaeJoong was pushing the buggy.

“When did JongWan fly?” HyoJin asked when they crossed the street and reached the park.

“On Saturday,” JaeJoong sighed, eyes downcast and lingering on his niece. She had fallen asleep, he assumed, as her eyes were shut tight and lips slightly parted.

“You miss him,” HyoJin exclaimed softly, knowing her brother just all too well.

“Of course I do. You would miss JungMin as well when he would be away for three months,” JaeJoong replied, facing his sister when they walked further.

“That's true,” HyoJin responded, thoughtful. “You're not happy that he took the offer, right?” she asked after some seconds of them just walking in silence. JaeJoong sighed.

“It's not that,” he said, looking ahead where children were playing around. “I just wish he had talked about it with me before.”

“JaeJoongie, you know he is a workaholic and grasps every chance for a good job offering,” HyoJin responded, knowing her best friend just all too well.

“I know but,” JaeJoong trailed, stopping in his tracks before he continued, “it was possible before, why not now that we're married?” Sorrow was marring JaeJoong's face and made HyoJin feel guilty. She knew it was a topic her brother had always been sensitive about and so it hurt her that she brought it up again, causing JaeJoong to feel down.

“Hey, hey, stop thinking about it too much,” she voiced out, embracing her brother who was at the verge of a mental breakdown. “I'm sorry for bringing it up,” she mumbled, a soft smile scurrying over her lips when JaeJoong smiled as well.

“Let's meet some other time again, okay?” she offered which JaeJoong accepted gladly. JaeJoong waved HyoJin goodbye before he walked back to the flower shop, getting a few things he would need to take care of the flowers in the park. It was the task he loved the most and which distracted him always. It was calming and he could get his head free from everything that was bothering him.

*

It was afternoon when YunHo was on his way back to his office, the meeting with one of his clients over when he walked towards a little bakery booth. It was near a little flower shop and across from the park that was close to the residential area JongWan and JaeJoong were living in. He sighed. It was two days ago that JongWan had called him about his arrival in Japan and he couldn't help but thinking how JaeJoong felt without his husband. Like so often these days, YunHo sighed and slapped himself mentally to not think about the married couple any further.

'I think I'll take a break in the park,' YunHo thought when he bought himself a cup of coffee and a pretzel. He just took a bite of the brown treat whilst walking over the street when his eyes caught sight of short black hair and a figure he remembered just all too well. He walked further until he reached a bench and observed the figure. It was indeed JaeJoong, clad in black jeans and a pullover with a green apron wrapped around his form. He was crouching in front of a bush, cutting some branches that were too long.

Every now and then he saw JaeJoong spacing out, eyes hidden behind his black-framed glasses focused on the children playing with one another or their parents. With a sigh he would get back to work, no noticing YunHo at all.

“JaeJoong-ssi?” YunHo addressed the latter carefully to not startle the man in front of him who was holding a hedge trimmer in his hands. The black haired jumped a bit, slowly turning his head in surprise. His eyes lit up when he registered YunHo.

“Ah, YunHo-ssi,” he said, voice as melodious as ever. 'Bloody hell, YunHo. Get your mind out of the gutter, for goodness' sake,' he thought to himself when JaeJoong flashed him a soft smile. The black haired stood up, wiping his hands with his apron before he strode over to YunHo.

“What a pleasant surprise. How have you been?” JaeJoong asked, shaking hands with YunHo before he sat down next to him on the bench.

“Oh, I've been good, you?” YunHo replied, a smile on his lips when he eyed JaeJoong.

“So-so. It's a bit unfamiliar without JongWan being around for three months,” the black haired said, eyes downcast. YunHo could feel that it was hard on the latter; it pained him.

“Sorry, must be hard to not see him,” YunHo voiced out, causing JaeJoong to look up at him. A smile was playing over his full lips, but YunHo could feel that it was not real.

“It is, but when he calls it is bearable,” JaeJoong replied, lost in his thoughts when he continued, “It is like a challenge, like it was for Penelope when she-”

“Was waiting for ten years for the return of her husband Odysseus,” YunHo finished JaeJoong's started sentence, catching the younger man by surprise.

“I'm impressed,” JaeJoong voiced out, positively awed that YunHo had knowledge about Greek mythology. “Hm, maybe it is indeed not a bad idea to have some company after all. That is if I still can accept the offer my husband requested from you,” he said, smiling gently and who was YunHo to say no to this beautiful sight?

“O-of course, it'd be my pleasure,” YunHo responded, blushing faintly when JaeJoong smiled warmly.

*****

Odysseus was the clever king of Ithaca and it had been his idea during the Trojan war to build the famous wooden horse. As a punishment he was cursed to sail the oceans without returning home after he had badly injured the cyclops Polyphemus, Poseidon's son. It took him ten years before he could finally return home to his wife Penelope, who had waited for his return and didn't give in to the men courting her.