First conflict

Twist of Fate

After the dinner YunHo had spent at the Kims' apartment, he felt awkward just by thinking about JongWan and his husband; a gorgeous man YunHo had to admit. He felt even more attracted to JaeJoong than JongWan. But either way was no option. They were married and YunHo just there to make sure his client was happy with his contract. He didn't know how he got himself into such a ed up mess.

He sighed deeply, sitting in his chair on Monday when he remembered the evening a few nights ago. The parting had been quite awkward, for YunHo that is, but he was sure the two married men had felt a bit awkward as well. But that was understandable. You normally didn't discuss like that in front of a stranger now, did you?

With a nervousness on his face YunHo took a look into the folder of JongWan's contract. He had picked two possible companies that were interested to hire JongWan as their architect for a project. It lay in JongWan's hands which one he wanted to accept though, which was the reason why YunHo had called him at forenoon. To his misfortune, if you wanted to call it that, it was JaeJoong who answered his call. The dark-brown haired swallowed when he remembered what kind of effect JaeJoong's hushed voice had on him. It had reached his ears in a husky whisper, sent a shiver through his body and had made him all hot and bothered. At the same time he felt a bit disappointed yet relieved that JaeJoong had rejected his husband's former request. He had apologized to YunHo, but the latter understood him. He still had pouted after the dinner and the phone call. He would have loved to keep JaeJoong company, but then again he knew he would just play dangerously with the fire. He couldn't risk it.

Pushing the pictures aside that were flashing before YunHo's eyes of JaeJoong, his warm brown eyes and full red lips as well as of JongWan, his dark eyes and same full lips, YunHo slowly made his way to the arranged meeting he had made with JongWan. They would meet inside of one of their meeting rooms in the company where YunHo indeed felt safer when he already had to stay alone with JongWan. 'Aish, why must this be so complicated? He is your client and he is taken as well as his husband. Forget them, YunHo,' he chanted mentally whilst being on his way down the hall towards the meeting room.

“Ah, Kaori,” YunHo voiced out when he walked past the desk of their young Japanese trainee.

“Yes, YunHo-ssi?” the young woman of 22 years replied, lifting her head to look at him.

“Be so kind and make some coffee for me and my client and bring it into the meeting room,” he responded whilst pointing to the right where the meeting room was lying.

“All right,” Kaori replied with a soft smile, assuring YunHo that she had understood him. She was quite known in Korean though sometimes she had difficulties to follow the instructions. Since YunHo was patient, he didn't mind to explain everything to her in a slow pace. He wanted to make sure that she did her work well, which she indeed managed to do. With a polite “Thanks,” YunHo left for the meeting room and sat down onto a chair before he opened his folder.

About ten minutes later a woman stepped into the meeting room followed by Kaori who carried a tray with cups and a coffee pot.

“Excuse me, Kim JongWan-ssi has arrived,” the older woman informed YunHo whilst the young trainee was putting the tray onto the table and spread the two cups and coffee pot onto it.

“Bring him here, please, SunHee-ssi,” YunHo responded whilst lifting his eyes from his folder. With a nod the brown haired woman left to guide JongWan towards the meeting room.

“Thanks, Kaori,” he said with a smile when the young woman got hold of the now empty tray.

“Welcome. Is there anything else I can do?” Kaori inquired with a soft smile on her lips.

“Nothing. I'll call you if we need something,” YunHo replied and gestured for Kaori to leave who bowed politely before she left the room.

Shortly after SunHee returned, followed by JongWan clad in a grey suit. “Thanks,” JongWan said to the secretary with a smile before he stepped into the meeting room. YunHo had already risen to his feet when he welcomed his crush .... uhm, client.

“Good to see you, JongWan. Please, take a seat,” he said, shaking hands with JongWan before he gestured for the latter to sit down and closed the door.

“JaeJoong told me you have two job offerings,” JongWan voiced out once YunHo sat down next to him. YunHo was startled for a second, straightening his suit jacket before he shifted inside of his seat.

“That's correct. We have two companies that would be interested in working together with you. They were smitten with some of your older drafts and projects,” YunHo remarked when he got hold of two sheets of paper out of his folder.

“That's nice to hear,” JongWan voiced out with a light laugh, cheeks stained a soft crimson in humble embarrassment. “May I ask what kind of projects they would have in mind?” he asked, curious that is.

“Of course,” YunHo replied, showing JongWan the first offering. “This one is an offer from Choi SeungHwan, head of the Lotte hotel in Busan. He'd like for you to build a resort,” he explained whilst JongWan was eyeing the proposal carefully and with much interest. “The period for this would be around two months with constant connections to Seoul every weekend.”

“Sounds good,” JongWan mumbled when he read through the contract. “And the other one?” he asked, intrigued with the offer but curious of the second one.

“It's an offer from a Japanese hotel chain. They would like for you to build a new hotel in Sapporo to broaden their market,” YunHo explained and handed JongWan the contract.

“For how long would they need me?” JongWan questioned, much interest audible in his voice. 'Guess he already decided,' YunHo thought to himself. He had quite a lot of experience to notice if his client liked an offer or not.

“They would like to hire you for three months in total; from the first draft to the last decoration,” YunHo said, looking straight at JongWan's sparkling eyes. “As for travelling back for a visit, this wouldn't be an option in this space of time but calling is possible,” he reminded JongWan, emphasizing that it wasn't able to come home to his husband, which YunHo remembered seemed to be a very important topic for his client.

“I see,” JongWan mumbled deep in thought, finger tapping against his lips when he eyed the Japanese offer. “The contract starts in two weeks?” he asked when his eyes fell onto the date of the flight.

“Yes. It's quite early that's why I would need an answer as soon as possible,” YunHo remarked, eyebrows furrowed in apology.

“Well, if possible, I'd like for you to book my flight to Japan then,” JongWan replied with a joyous smile, startling YunHo a bit at this rather very fast decision.

“Are you sure? You still could think about it for a day and talk about it with your husband,” he replied, indeed a bit worried that this decision had been made maybe too fast. A part of him was worried about JaeJoong's reaction, but he didn't want to admit that.

“I'm absolutely sure. This is an offer I've always been dreaming of,” JongWan responded with glee in his voice. The joy YunHo could make out almost reminded him of a little child.

YunHo sighed deeply when JongWan had left, his eyes trained on the contract. A signature was resting in the left corner, JongWan's name scribbled down in a messy and excited way. He sighed again. He was sure that JaeJoong wouldn't like this spontaneous decision at all. 'Stop worrying, YunHo. You aren't his husband and don't know both of them at all,' he reminded himself. A deep sigh followed once again when he shut his folder.

*

JaeJoong didn't know what was coming down on him when he hummed along a song playing inside of the radio whilst cooking something for lunch. He had just put a joint into the oven to keep it warm when his eyes landed on the clock hanging on a wall. 'He should be back soon,' he thought whilst putting plates onto the table. “I'd like to eat together with him before I have to leave,” he mumbled when he thought about that he was needed at his parents' flower shop in the early afternoon.

He looked up, a smile playing on his lips, when he heard the door being opened. With fast steps he walked down the short hallway and welcomed his husband, “Welcome back.”

“I'm home,” JongWan replied with a smile, coat hung to the coat rack across before he pecked JaeJoong's lips.

“Come, lunch is ready,” JaeJoong said with a soft smile before he slowly proceeded to the living room. JongWan followed closely. “Smells nice,” he exclaimed before he sat down at the dining table.

The couple ate in comfortable silence, their feet brushing against one another under the table with sheepish smiles resting on their lips.

“How was your meeting?” JaeJoong asked as he was curious what kind of project his husband would work on this time.

“It went well. I got an offer from a Japanese hotel chain and the Lotte hotel in Busan,” JongWan explained after he had taken a sip on his glass filled with water.

“That sounds great,” JaeJoong voiced out, happy that JongWan already got an offer so early in his new company. “For how long will the projects last?” he asked, hoping that JongWan wouldn't stay too long somewhere else.

“The one in Japan lasts for three months. It'll be in Sapporo but I wouldn't be able to visit you,” JongWan said, gulping the piece of meat he had on his fork before he continued, “I'll try to call you though.”

A soft clank resounded through the living room when JaeJoong's fork met the plate, his brown eyes widened in surprise. “You'll call me,” he mumbled, eyebrows furrowed in thought. “You already decided?” he asked, stunned when JongWan nodded shortly.

“Yeah, the decision needed to be made quickly and the offer was really appealing so I grabbed the given chance,” JongWan replied nonchalantly. In his eyes he didn't do something wrong.

“Couldn't you have at least waited for one day before you decide?” JaeJoong said, disappointed that JongWan decided something like this always on his own. It was something that concerned both of them as a married couple, or wasn't it?

“Sorry,” JongWan apologized, sighing before he continued, “But it was just perfect. You know I always wanted to work in Japan.”

“Yes, I know that. It's just,” JaeJoong replied, followed by a deep sigh. “Forget it. I'm tired of discussing this again with you,” he mumbled, playing wearily with the food on his plate whilst his chin was supported by his left hand. “When will you fly?” he asked, voice dull as he couldn't change something anyway.

“In about two weeks,” JongWan replied, blinking when he eyed his husband. “What's wrong?” he asked worried when JaeJoong's face fell, disbelief and sadness readable.

“I-in two weeks,” JaeJoong stuttered, voice trembling. “What about- Did you forget?” he asked in disbelief, eyebrows furrowed.

“What, honey?” JongWan asked in confusion. He didn't know where the problem was and why JaeJoong was suddenly so emotional about his stay in Japan. His eyes widened when JaeJoong slammed his hands onto the table and rose to his feet.

“It's our anniversary. Our ing anniversary, JongWan!” JaeJoong shrieked in anger. He was indeed pissed that JongWan had forgotten about their anniversary that was in three and a half weeks. They had made plans before and he was utmost disappointed that his husband had just forgotten about everything once his eyes had landed on the contract with the Japanese hotel chain. He could see JongWan's shocked expression, his own eyes glistening with the tears of frustration he tried to hold back.

“, I totally forgot about that,” JongWan exclaimed, hand clasped over his mouth. He lifted his eyes and looked at JaeJoong. He immediately rose to his feet and tried to calm the situation he had ed up himself. “Jae-”

“Don't Jae me!” JaeJoong remarked with a raised finger pointing at JongWan when he looked at him. “Why do you always forget our planned activities?” he breathed, a tear rolling down his cheek. He buried his teary eyes in his left palm whilst his right was lifelessly resting on JongWan's shoulder. The latter wanted to embrace JaeJoong, but a mumbled “Don't,” stopped him.

“I'm tired of this, JongWan,” JaeJoong whispered, eyes focusing on his husband with tears escaping them. “I love you, I really do, but sometimes I don't know where your privileges lie.”

Leaving a stunned JongWan behind, JaeJoong left for their bedroom. He needed to be alone, crying a bit and it would do JongWan good as well to stay alone for a few hours. The latter needed it himself as JaeJoong's words had stirred worry inside of him. He needed to find out how he could make things better even though he knew that it had to wait for the day he would return from Japan. Massaging his temples, he sank down onto a chair when he heard the door of their bedroom slamming shut.

The situation at hand presented three months of pondering for the married couple.