Chapter 6

Faux Amour

When Jimin woke up, an arm was draped over his face. He pushed it off him and turned his head to see that Taehyung had joined him in bed and had pushed him to the edge, where the wall kept him from falling off. Jimin should've been at least a little annoyed, but he couldn't help the smile that spread across his face.

"You're adorable," he whispered before climbing over the other body and looking at the clock. It was 9:26. Jimin went out into the kitchen, knowing his way around Taehyung's house by heart. He ran into Namjoon, Taehyung's brother's husband.

"Hey, Jimin," he said.

"Hello. How are you?"

"Good..."

Namjoon was looking at Jimin in an odd way, and Jimin couldn't help but feel vulnerable and a little scared.

"U-um, that's good, then."

"Mmhm." Namjoon walked past Jimin into the halllway. Jimin started to worry.

Why doesn't he like me all of a sudden? Did I do something I don't know about? What should I do? I'm going to make breakfast. But what if Seokjin doesn't want me to? Oh, no. What do I do?

Jimin ended up looking through all the cupboards for any hint that Seokjin had been planning something special for breakfast. He didn't find anything, so he decided to make it himself.

Seokjin and Namjoon came out together an hour later, when Jimin had finished and was setting the table.

"What's this?" asked Seokjin, Namjoon's hand placed on the small of his back.

"Oh, to thank you for having me over, I made breakfast. I hope you don't mind."

"No, not at all. Thank you," Seokjin said. But Jimin noticed that the smile he gave was not filled with as much kindness as the past ones were. Panic rose in Jimin.

Did I do something serious? How come I can't figure out what I did? Oh god, now they hate me, and I'll never be welcomed in this house again, and--

"Morning, Chimchim," Taehyung said through a yawn as he made his way into the dining room.

Jimin stiffened when he felt Taehyung wrap his arms around him from behind. They'd always done this before, so Jimin didn't want Taehyung to feel his suddenly pounding heart. He might think that it meant something to Jimin. Which it might've. And might've not.

And then, and then, Taehyung pecked the base of his neck. Right there, in front of his family! Jimin's pulse quickened and he could feel his face burning up. Namjoon and Seokjin weren't looking, though.

Jimin untangled himself from Taehyung and sat down at the table. Namjoon and Seokjin followed his lead, and Taehyung sat beside his friend.

"Did you make this, hyung? Doesn't look like your style," said Taehyung.

"No, actually," Seokjin answered. "Jimin made it."

Taehyung turned to Jimin. "You did?" he asked with a smile.

"Y-yeah."

They ate in relative silence, Namjoon sometimes saying something to start a short conversation that would die down after a few sentences. When everyone finished, Jimin took all the dishes and washed them, which was protested by all the others.

"It's fine," he said.

In the end, he won, and Taehyung went to shower.

---

Taehyung walked Jimin back to his house at noon. Jimin avoided Taehyung's hand when it went out to reach for his. Neither started a conversation, so they just traveled in silence.

Taehyung walked Jimin to his door.

"See you at school, Tae Tae."

"Bye, Chim."

---

Jungkook approached Jimin at his locker on Monday.

"Hey, Jimin."

Jimin turned, noting how his heart wasn't beating erratically and how that was incredibly odd.

"Hi, Kook."

"Did you do the math assignment?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Could you... help me? I have it first."

Jimin looked at the clock in the hall.

"So, in four minutes."

"Yeah."

"You won't finish it in--" Jimin's brain started functioning. "Oh. You want me to give you my paper?"

Jungkook looked sheepish, but he nodded.

Jimin sighed. He took the paper from his binder. "Don't lose it or I'll kill you, okay? Give it back to me at lunch."

"Thank you so much, hyung!"

Jungkook ran off.

Jimin sighed.

---

"Chimchim."

Jimin looked up from the notebook in his lap. He was sitting against a row of lockers in the hallway during lunch, studying last minute for a History test.

"Hm?"

Taehyung sit down next to him. "Did you not study?"

Jimin furrowed his eyebrows. "No, I did. Just... not enough."

Taehyung smiled. "Need help?"

Without an answer, he took the notebook from Jimin and started quizzing the other. As they went back and forth, Taehyung asking questions and Jimin answering, Jimin sort of got lost in Taehyung's face. Jimin's eyes travelled from Taehyung's eyes, which he had never noticed were the most beautiful things on the planet, to his nose which was long and rounded at the end, to his lips. Jimin noticed Taehyung had interesting lips, where the top one was longer, and the bottom was a little smaller. They were made for his boxy smile. Jimin grinned to himself.

"Hey."

Jimin realized he'd been caught when Taehyung's hand grabbed his knee. He looked up to Taehyung's eyes.

"You okay? You zoned out."

"Yeah, I'm... I'm okay. Keep going."

Taehyung looked at Jimin with a little concern before swiping at his bottom lip with his tongue and then continuing. Jimin bit the inside of his cheek, trying not to burst. Was Taehyung always this beautiful? And he was always there, Jimin realized, even for small tasks like studying. And bigger things, like pretending to be Jimin's boyfriend.

Jimin felt a wave of guilt crash over him. That wasn't a very kind thing to do to your best friend, he realized. He looked back at Taehyung and wished that he could go back and stop himself. If there was going to be someone who liked him, Jimin wanted it to be someone who liked him, not someone who was just jealous. And it's not like Jungkook had even gotten jealous.

---

"Ready?" asked Taehyung.

They were walking home together.

Jimin nodded. "Let's go to my house today."

Taehyung shrugged. "Okay."

Their hands fell into each other like puzzle pieces and they started on their journey to Jimin's house.

---

Jimin couldn't help the smile that broke across his face. Taehyung's deep laughter was also heard from beside him. Jimin's mom stood in the doorway, confused. She eventually gave up, walking away, and Taehyung and Jimin's laughter became harder, until they were both struggling to bring oxygen into their lungs.

"She..." huffed Jimin, tears in his eyes, "said..."

"I know," nodded Taehyung.

Jimin clapped his best friend's back and they laughed for a few minutes more, occasionally calming but then catching each other's eye and bursting out again.

Finally, Jimin wiped the tears from his eye at the same time Taehyung reached over to do so. And then Taehyung was caressing his face.

Both sobered immediately, and silence was cast over the room.

Jimin was hyper-aware of the mere centimeters separating their faces. There was a look in Taehyung's eyes when Jimin met them. They told him everything.

"Ehem. We should work on homework now."

Taehyung pulled away as if Jimin's face had burned him. Jimin's cheek felt cold without Taehyung's warmth, but he ignored it.

"Y-yeah, you're right."

---

When Taehyung left Jimin's house, Jimin was sure of two things.

Taehyung liked him, and he liked Taehyung back.

 

So there's such long breaks in between when I write this and maybe you could tell that I forget a lot of what's happened previously except for the big things. Please be patient with me because if I go back and read I might decide that I hate this too much to continue.

ANYWAY, thanks again for reading this far and to everyone who comments as well.