Chapter 8

Faux Amour

Where are you going?

Away from here.

But the only way to get home is in the exact opposite direction you're walking.

Yeah? Well, I'll just go all the way around the neighborhood then.

But--

Shut the up.

Yes, Jimin was talking (technically thinking) to himself. He was in the crappiest of crappy moods, walking away from Taehyung.

I like you, his heart was screaming as his feet took him farther from his best friend. Chase after me. I don't want to do this.

But rhythmic footsteps told Jimin that Taehyung was doing the opposite; running away.

Jimin closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

Looks like I've got an hour or so of extra walking to do.

---

One thing Jimin didn't lie about to Taehyung was his plans with Jungkook. The younger needed help in math, and Jimin happened to be the most knowledgeable in that area out of his friends. Jimin, when asked, had resisted an eye roll and agreed. Eventually, he saw the opportunity in the outing. Or the inning, since they were just staying in Jimin's room.

Jungkook looked between the pages of the textbook, sprawled out on the floor on his stomach, hood of the hoodie he was wearing on even though they were inside.

"Yeah... it still doesn't make sense," Jungkook said.

Jimin sighed. "Kook, I've explained it three different ways. What exactly do you not understand?"

"All of it?"

"Really? You don't understand a single thing?"

Jungkook looked at the floor sheepishly. "Uh, I wasn't really listening the first two times."

Jimin suppressed a scream of frustration and somehow calmed his tensed muscles. He offered a smile. "I'm going to go step by step. I'll stop after each one, and you can ask questions. I won't continue until you tell me that you understand. Did you hear me, Jungkook?"

Jungkook rolled his eyes, to which Jimin wanted to roll his eyes at. "Yeah, yeah. I get it."

Jimin glared.

"I mean, yes. I understand. Thank you for taking the time to tutor me, hyung." His tone seemed sarcastic, but his eyes showed apology, so Jimin attempted to calm himself.

Remember. This is the guy... you like.

---

Jimin had surprisingly been able to avoid Taehyung the whole day up to lunch. That might've also been due to the fact that Taehyung was probably avoiding him, too, but Jimin tried to look at the fact as a positive. They wouldn't have to deal with any more tension or feelings. Taehyung had for sure lost all his feelings for Jimin by now. And Jimin... was working on it.

"Hyung, hyung, hyung!" Jungkook bounded across the cafeteria to the entrance, dragging behind him the gaze of his popular friends. "I got a B+ on the quiz! Studying with you raised me two grades! Thank you so much!" Jungkook crushed Jimin in a hug and the older forced a smile. "Can we continue?" Jungkook asked, pulling away.

I should be paid for this.

"Of course, Kook." Jimin offered what he hoped out be a kind smile. Jungkook responded with a clap and then jogged off to meet his friends again. Jimin smiled tightly and headed towards the table he could see Taehyung and their other friends at.

"Hey..."

Taehyung looked up at the sound of his voice like someone who was sleeping called on in class. Jimin tried really hard not to find it extremely adorable. He failed.

But then Taehyung's face morphed into a mixture of hurt from Friday and also a little bit... of anger. That makes sense.

Jimin sent him a look that was meant to be his asking for permission to sit down, but Myungjun interrupted the moment with, "Why are you just standing there? Sit down, Jiminnie."

Taehyung looked away and Jimin decided to sit next to him. He didn't want to have anything between them romantically, but he still missed his best friend. Taehyung looked at him again, shocked (again). His expression darkened.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm sorry."

Taehyung closed his eyes, obviously having an internal battle. From across the table, Myungjun watched them innocently.


The friendship that once was more constant than the sunrise was now hanging by a thread. That much, Taehyung knew.

He had found it in himself to pretend to be okay, at least more okay than he felt on the inside. He let Jimin pretend nothing had happened. He settled for "just a friend" once again.

But Taehyung was honestly getting nauseous with all of Jimin's mood swings. He was finally back to his old, lighthearted ways, though, giving Taehyung's head a break.

They were studying on the floor of his room like they used to, it being after school on a Thursday.

Taehyung avoided eye contact with Jimin. He wasn't even sure why himself.

He didn't talk, smile, laugh like he used to. Jimin had definitely noticed, but he didn't say anything. Taehyung didn't know if he was hurt by that or thankful. Most likely a mix of both. That's how things went with Jimin.

Taehyung's grades rose a bit and then stayed, so he didn't really need studying anymore. But Jimin wanted to help and who was Taehyung to say no?

Jimin was back to talking about Jungkook, but his tone sounded a bit different. Maybe it was extra adoration that had seeped into his voice or something. Taehyung couldn't really identify what it was.

And as always, Taehyung was getting tired of it. He was hurt by Jimin because he cared about Jimin and knew he would never stop. Taehyung knew that if it had been anyone else he liked, nothing would have caused him as much pain. Alas, his six year old choice stayed and clung to him, leaving a path of broken hearts and tears as it went.

A week passed, and Jimin was acting too normal. It was unnerving.

A few more days passed, and Taehyung felt his heart growing too big and tumultuous for his rib cage.

He needed to get something off his chest.

He needed to do it soon.

 

This face mask is burning my skin

Ok so ewwwww this is such a bad chapter I'm sorry. I'm in a hurry because I have something else I'm excited to write and I told myself I need to update this first. And I only half-looked over it so there's definitely tons of mistakes. I'm sorry again.

But yeah ok that's it there we go iwonderwhatwillhappennext