Chapter 7

Faux Amour

Taehyung left Jimin's house with more confidence than he'd had in a while.

He was finally, finally, getting somewhere with Jimin.

They had actually gotten somewhere with homework, to both Taehyung's disappointment and relief. Jimin was able to explain everything that Taehyung didn't understand pretty smoothly. Taehyung also noticed how Jimin was more hesitant to touch him and how blood rushed to his cheeks more often.

Taehyung recalled how fast his heart had been beating the entire time. He smiled at the thick tension that had hung in the room. Jimin had a chance of liking him back now. He was so close.

---

Taehyung had to focus on not skipping to school. He was so excited to see Jimin, already planning out how their conversations would go, and prepared for how good a day it was going to be.

The orange hair was easy to spot from across the hall, and just seeing him there filled Taehyung will a giddiness that he wouldn't be able to express unless it was in giggles and maybe kissing Jimin. But they weren't officially dating yet, so maybe he would have to settle for Jimin's cheek.

Taehyung had to run against the traffic of the hallway to get to his friend, but he didn't mind, expertly dodging trios of friends, couples, and the occasional flying sneaker. Finally, he made it across the hall, but by then, Jimin had moved from his previous placement. Taehyung huffed. He turned around in place before spotting Jimin heading down the stairs to Taehyung's left. Taehyung squeezed himself between the hordes of people that had magically appeared (little did Taehyung know, class was starting soon and everyone was trying not to be late). Finally, he jumped off the stairs, skipping the last few steps and leaped to his right, where Jimin was walking a meter away.

"Jimin!"

Mentioned student kept walking. Taehyung exhaled, inhaled, cupped his hands around his mouth, and yelled, "JIMIN!" Half the hallway turned to look, but Taehyung didn't care. Jimin was now making his way over, quite quickly, actually, which would be great if he didn't look so... angry?

"H-hi, Jimin. I was just... why are you--"

Jimin grabbed Taehyung's wrist and pulled him along, towards the doors at the end of the building.

Maybe he wants to bring me somewhere more private so we can talk in peace?

Taehyung had a feeling that was not the case. Jimin shoved the doors open as the warning bell rang, and practically threw Taehyung through the opening, out into the crisp breeze before following and allowing the door to close. Now the place was almost empty, students having filed into their classes already.

"What the , Taehyung?" fumed Jimin.

"I-I'm sorry, Chimchim. I was just too excited to see you." Taehyung really wanted to hug Jimin, but he was at least smart enough to know the other wasn't in the mood.

Jimin sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Don't ing do that. You know I hate drawing attention to myself."

"Yeah, I'm sorry." Why did Taehyung feel like a disobedient puppy? His eyes were on the ground, and his mouth was in a pout. Oh well. He thought that Jimin might find it cute and tilt his head up and apologize for yelling and then they could hug (or maybe kiss) and make up. The thought made Taehyung smile internally, although he fought to keep it that way.

But, to Taehyung's surprise and disappointment, Jimin just sighed again and said, "Just go to class." As if on cue, the bell rang, letting Jimin and Taehyung know they were both late.

---

In class, Taehyung managed to zone out after three words from his teacher's mouth.

Jimin wasn't in a good mood. That was okay. If Taehyung gave him space (being in class counted as space) then by lunch, he should be better, and they'd be where they were on the weekend. Totally in love and shy around each other.

The encouraging thoughts helped keep Taehyung awake through his daily dose of boring until finally the bell rang for the end of his last class before lunch. He almost sprinted to the table him, Jimin, and their friends sat at. No one was there, though, so Taehyung waited. And waited. Finally, someone arrived.

"Hey, Tae," Myungjun said as he sat down. Taehyung tried not to seem too disappointed.

"Hey."

They ate in awkward silence until some other friends joined and had conversations of their own. Finally, after an eternity, Jimin arrived.

"Jimin!" Taehyung said, careful not to yell too loud.

"Hi, friends," he said in a tired voice.

Taehyung studied his best friend. Jimin seemed incredibly deflated, not at all what he'd been expecting. He wasn't in the mood for Taehyung.

Just... give him space. Tomorrow he'll be alright.

---

The next day, Jimin had to work in the library during lunch, so Taehyung didn't get to see him until after school. He chatted happily while Jimin stayed quiet and they walked side by side. Trying to lift his mood, Taehyung reached over and took Jimin's hand in his. To his utter surprise, Jimin yanked his hand away immediately.

"Chimchim?"

"I'm s... Tae, don't do that. I don't like it."

"What?"

"And I have to tell you something else. I don't want you to be my fake boyfriend anymore."

Taehyung had been waiting for those words, but he never imagined Jimin would be saying them like this, in this weary, slightly agitated tone.

I thought you liked me, too. "Okay. Um, well, I have a test next Monday, so I was wondering if you could come over this weekend--"

"I can't."

Taehyung frowned. "Why not?"

"I have plans... with Jungkook."

Taehyung's mouth dropped open. "WHAT??"

"Be quiet, Tae, I don't want--"

"I thought you were... I told you to stay away from him!!"

"Well, you don't own me, so..."

"Jimin! What is up with you?"

"I really like him, Taehyung! You can't change that, so just let it go."

"You have no idea how unconvincing you sound."

"Shut up, Tae. You don't know anything."

"He's not even into you! He's in love with another girl! He's probably completely straight, too! You've got exactly zero chance with him, Jimin. I hate to break it to you, but it's true."

Surprisingly, Jimin didn't look anywhere near close to tears at Taehyung's words. He looked more angry than anything, and sent Taehyung a death glare. "Get over yourself, Taehyung. Stop trying to control my life."

Jimin started walking in another direction, and Taehyung had no idea where he could go. Probably to Jungkook's house, said a voice in his head, and he couldn't help but agree.

He angrily stared after his best friend for a few seconds before starting on the rest of the way home, running, to try and get there before the tears filling his eyes could fall.

 

It's been so long. I'm so sorry. On the bright side, I kind of (?) have an idea of where I'm going with this now, so I think it'll be around 10 or 11 maybe chapters. But it depends. Again, I really appreciate comments, so if you'd like... you know, leave one. Also I haven't proofread.

(I'm lowkey proud of myself for finally getting this past 1,000 words wow look at that)