d-day

those watery eyes, those trembling fingers

"Eunbi!" she wakes up to the umpteenth call of her name that morning. 

"I thought we aren't moving till afternoon!" she grunts in reply, dragging herself out of the bed.

"You're wanted!" her brother shouts in reply.

She groans. "Wait!" she yells before going to wash herself up. After brushing her teeth, she figures she should change out of her pyjamas and does so. 

"What is it," she asks without any interest in tone as she walks down the stairs, only half-awake. 

"You've got a guest," it is her brother again, for her parents are too busy. She raises an eyebrow and shuffles her feet, making her way to the main door.

She swings the door open but her arm freezes immediately when she sees who it is.

"Yuna unnie?" her quivering lips manage to whisper.

She looks at Yuna's swollen eyes and a forced smile. She wonders if she was as bad for the past month.

"Hey," Yuna mutters and brings her hand up, holding an envelope. 

Eunbi looks down at the envelope. Hiding her face in fear of tears, she asks softly, "Did you wait for long?"

Yuna shakes her head. Seeing that Eunbi is refusing to take the envelope, with a sniff, she takes Eunbi's hand in hers and shoves the envelope into her hand.

"I'll get going," she mutters and turns away to leave.

Dumbfounded, Eunbi looks at the envelope. She looks back up and shouts, "Wait!"

What she doesn't expect is for Yuna to hasten her footsteps and run.

Eunbi rips open the envelope and sees a crumbled piece of paper folded into half. She immediately recognises it as the one she has seen the day before.

Eunbi yah

You're so annoying. How could you do this to me? I liked you too, you never knew, did you ever?

Well, it turns out that we're the same. I never told you either, because I was afraid of rejection too.

But how could you suddenly drop me a letter like a bomb that reveals the best and the worst news ever, simultaneously? That my love is reciprocated but you're going to leave me?

I don't know what to say or do anymore. But I really did love you, more than you'll ever imagine. 

Yuna unnie

Eunbi has probably skipped a few sentences but she doesn't really care. Her fingers gripping onto the envelope and the letter, she slips on her slippers and runs out of her home. 

She sees Yuna a few hundred metres down the road and gives chase. "Yuna unnie, wait!" she shouts, disregarding her surroundings.

Yuna stops and slowly turns around.

"Unnie," Eunbi tries to catch her breath upon reaching the older girl. She tightly grabs onto Yuna's arm. 

Shocked, Yuna could only widen her eyes with tears still falling. 

Without any more words, Eunbi brings Yuna in for a hug, tears finally finding their way down her cheeks. 

Yuna chokes on a sob and tries her best to stop crying, wrapping her arms around the shorter girl. Eunbi begins sobbing into the Yuna's shoulder.

"How could you?" Yuna whispers when they let go, once Eunbi has felt that she's cried enough.

"I promise I'll call you every day," Eunbi tries to speak.

Yuna doesn't answer but responds with a sigh.

"Did you cry the whole night?" Eunbi places her hand on Yuna's cheek and rubs the tear stains away, right below the protruding eyebags.

"What? Did you expect me to be smiling and having sweet dreams after that sort of letter?" Yuna harshly replies.

Eunbi bites her lower lip and looks down. Afraid that the younger one would begin crying again, Yuna starts laughing at her own joke.

In confusion, Eunbi raises her head and begins laughing along. 

Yuna finally returns to ease, seeing the younger one smile. She pulls her in for another hug and says, "I'll make sure we keep in contact every day."

"It has to be a video call," Eunbi says next, "for at least an hour."

Yuna lightly smacks Eunbi's , saying, "Yahh, I have entrance exams this year."

Eunbi cackles, "Sure."

"Yahh, can I hear you say it?" Yuna asks.

"Say what?" Eunbi asks, only realising after her question.

"Nothing," Yuna narrows her eyes at Eunbi's denseness.

"You'll say it first," Eunbi playfully demands.

"Well, you're annoying," Yuna replies with a smile, with much conviction.

"Unnie!" Eunbi frowns and whines.

Yuna turns and walks off in the direction of her home.

"Ahhh I'm sorry unnie," Eunbi immediately catches up and pulls her back. "I love you unnie," she shyly says with a smile.

Yuna cannot control the smile spreading on her lips. She presses a kiss on Eunbi's forehead, to which the smaller girl squirms, "Love you too."

 

THE END

start: Sep 6, 2017 23:38:40

end: Sep 7, 2017 1:26:08