TWO

My Spooky Roommate

Kris doesn't sleep for the rest of the week, he tossed and turned but he feels Tao's cold aura all around the apartment. The spirit is friendly enough but the mere fact that Kris is living with a god damn ghost, makes him restless and he tries to ignore the presence of Tao. It hardly works because Tao keeps watching corny soap operas late into the night and eats Kris's food even though he's dead and doesn't even need to eat. He tries on Kris's clothes shamelessly and chats about old celebrity gossip and it's driving Kris insane. He's scared to go out in fear he'll meet some other ghost who won't leave him alone but on Friday he finally mans up and gets ready to go out.

Tao pesters him about what shoes match with what top and where he's going. The ghost follows him out the door "So where are you going? Who are you meeting up with? If your going out you should go to the coffee shop down the block, if it's still open. I used to work there, you know!"

"I'm meeting some friends" Kris groans

"Ahh well you should still go to that coffee shop it's called Café de la Rosa" he says, rolling the 'R' a bit longer than necessary "It's q real great vibe, also where do you work because I know the r-" he suddenly disappears as Kris takes one more step towards the elevator. He reappears a step away from Kris "Ugh I hate being dead I can't even make it to the elevator before I get thrown back into the apartment" Tao stomps his foot "Well have a good one, remember! Café de la Rosa!" He shouts before disappearing into thin air.

Kris rolls his eyes before he gets into the elevator he texts Junmyeon and Chanyeol to see if they want to meet up at a coffee shop.

Café de la Rosa is still up and running, it's a quaint shop with a cozy atmosphere and a orange cat that lazes around the front patio. Kris orders a cappuccino and looks around the shop while he waits for his drink. The wooden tables and benches have random doodles and carvings all over them, he traces a series of dates along one of the tables as he looks at the wall in front of him, there's a few shelves drilled into the plaster, old books and cute trinkets on them, hanging on the walls are random picture frames, group photos of the crew and some loyal customers, Kris goes cold when he sees a a large picture frame of his ghostly roommate with the words 'In Remembrance' etched into the cold frame. He gulps as he looks at Tao's grin, he looks like a normal run of the mill guy and Kris realizes that he doesn't know anything about the spirit haunting his home other than that he likes Korean Dramas and that he's dead.

A gentle hand taps his shoulder "Sir your coffee"

Kris turns around slightly and takes the coffee, his hands are shaking and he doesn't look away from Tao's small memorial on the wall. There's messages all addressed to the deceased boy on the wall around his picture, it let Kris know that Tao was someone who was deeply missed.

One of the messages is dated, it reads;
'I finally graduated, I went to a party but the whole night I didn't stop thinking about you. Are you doing well up in heaven? I wish we could've graduated together. I miss you Taozi. ~Sehun, 5/26/17'

It was written just a few months ago and Kris sighs. 'Poor guy thinks Tao is in heaven when he's still stuck in his apartment'

"Did you know him?" The same voice from earlier asks Kris

The latter looks at the worker, he's a handsome young man with soft features, he's looking at Tao's picture with fondness in his eyes. "Sort of" Kris answers

"It's real sad what happened but life goes on I guess. The first week when everyone found out the whole front of the store was a giant memorial, people stopped leaving flowers after a while but that Sehun kid still comes every other week." The worker shakes his head

Kris just nods, taking a sip of his drink, it's a little too sweet for his liking but he drinks it anyway. "I didn't catch your name by the way?"

"Luhan, me and Tao used to work together" the other lets out a sad sigh before leaving.

Kris sits at a table to wait for Junmyeon and Chanyeol. His two friends show up just a few moments later, Chanyeol orders an Americano and Junmyeon gets a hot chocolate.

"So how's the new crib?" Chanyeol asks

Kris closes his eyes and rubs his temples "Do you guys believe in ghosts?"

Junmyeon raises an eyebrow "What? Do you think your apartment is haunted? Because my aunt knows a lot about that crap she can cleanse your home for you"

"Woah Kris if your house is haunted then you can sign up to be on one of those Ghost Hunters TV shows or something, that would be so cool" Chanyeol slurps his drink obnoxiously

"I don't know I found out some guy died in my apartment four years ago" Kris informs leaving out some key details.

"That's crazy!" Chanyeol exclaims "I wish my apartment was haunted"

"Don't say that Chanyeol, ghosts can be very dangerous." Junmyeon says very matter of factly "Anyways how'd this guy die, was he murdered? Because if he was murdered he might have unfinished business and try to possess you"

"I-I don't know" Kris mumbles

"Well let's look it up!" Junmyeon pulls his laptop out of his satchel, his fingers fly over the keyboard until he lands on a search engine "What do you know?"

"His name was Huang Zitao, my apartment complex name is Seoul City Apartments" Kris says, still sipping on his drink.

Junmyeon's keyboard clacks under his finger tips before he final finds a reliable article "He's briefly mentioned in the University of Korea's student paper, it's their editorial on suicide prevention" he glances over the entire article "Looks like he was a star student, pretty popular and a rich exchange student from China" he reads off "He killed himself on February 5th in 2014, his friend found him hanging in the living room"

"Oh my god" Kris whispers to himself

"Holy let me see that" Chanyeol snatches the laptop away and reads the article himself "Why would a hot, smart, popular rich kid hang himself. That makes no sense"

"What about the kid who found him I bet he's traumatized" Junmyeon sips his hot cocoa thoughtfully

"So your new apartment is haunted by this guy?" Chanyeol asks Kris

Kris shrugs, not wanting to sound crazy "I mean I don't actually believe it's haunted, you're probably just sussed out from the fact that some kid died there" Chanyeol decides

"Probab-"

"We need to cleanse your house! I know a guy" Junmyeon suddenly declares

"What? When?" Kris stutters "I start work on Monday"

"Then let's go right now!" Junmyeon slams his empty mug on the table and drags his two towering friends out of the coffee shop. He's already on the phone with his aunt talking about burning sage and exorcisms before Kris can even protest.

After a trip to the grocery store where Junmyeon picks up a bible and some sage they're in Kris's apartment waving a slow burning bundle of herbs around while Junmyeon chants the same line from the bible over and over again. Tao is no where to be seen and Kris fears he's upset the poor spirit.

"You really think that's gonna work?" Tao appears when Kris takes a break from his friends madness and goes to the bathroom

"No but Junmyeon does"

Tao scoffs "Anyway I take it you told your friends that your place is haunted" he snickers at the last word

"Not really I told them I found out some kid died in my new apartment" Kris shrugs "And I went to that café. They still have your picture up on the wall." He says, absent minded

"Really? I didn't think the boss would keep it up." Tao sits on the sink "Is it a good picture at least? Is it in an ugly frame? If it is I might have to take over your body and go take it down myself"

"You looked really happy in the picture. Seems like a lot of people miss you" he trailed off, thinking about the message about graduation "Your friend Sehun seems to think that you've gone to heaven"

Tao visibly tenses at the last statement "Sehun?"

"He wrote you a message on the wall"

"It was probably a while ago, I doubt anyone would hang onto it for very long" Tao looks at his nails

"It was from May of this year, he said he graduated" Kris looks at Tao in an inquisitive manner, trying to figure out why he killed himself.

But he suddenly vanishes into thin air, leaving Kris with no other option than to go back out to his friends who are still dancing around shouting for the restless soul to be gone.