FOUR

My Spooky Roommate

Kris jolts awake, to a rush of coldness. He drowsily rubs the sleep out of his eyes before he checks the time, it's 4:21 in the morning and the only explanation for the sudden burst of ice cold breeze in his heated bedroom is the one, the only, the oh so ghostly, Zitao.

"You better have a damn good reason for waking me up. I have to be up in t wo hours" he groaned.

In that instant, Tao makes himself visable, he's especially pale and his hair is back to its original black color and Kris shivers at the glowing aura around the twenty year old "uh, Tao?" Kris sits up "You okay?"

Tao is standing there, rigid and fuming with rage "Am I okay?" He asks "Am I okay?"

Kris grows worried as Tao inches towards the bed, till the ghost grips the mortal by the collar of his shirt and holds him up into the air so the both of them are floating. Kris shrieks like a little girl. "Tao put me down! I'm scared of heights!"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Tao shouts, his voice booming and shaking the walls "How could you?" The furniture is floating in the air, Kris's work papers flying around the two roommates in a tornado

"I don't know what you're talking about" Kris cries

"Why didn't you tell me that 2NE1 disbanded?" Tao wails, suddenly dropping Kris, who lands on the airborne bed. "Why are all the OG girl groups disbanding? I don't think my heart can take it"

Kris scoffs in disbelief "You went all freaky spirit on me because of some girl group?"

"They're not just a girl group! They're icons, revolutionaries" with each adjective the bed starts to spin faster, Kris hold onto the bed posts for dear life "Self empowered, legendary queens!"

"Tao please calm down" Kris screams, growing nauseous.

"Whose next? The Wonder Girls?"

Kris refrains from informing Tao that the wonder girls disbanded in January. But the ghost reads his mind and Tao's eyes are glowing a ominous green "They disbanded and you weren't going to tell me?" His glare is terrifying and the bed spins blindingly fast

"Tao would you relax? 2NE1 released a goodbye song." He informs the spirit

The bed suddenly falls back to its original spot and the papers find their way into a neat pile on the desk "Oh really?"

"Y-yeah why don't you go check it out?"

"Okay" Tao chirps before skipping into the living room, Kris can hear the ghost open Kris's laptop and click on the keyboard.

'Oh my god that was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me' Kris thought as he collapsed on the bed

'"Yeah sorry about that Kris!" Tao shouts from the other room.

Kris groaned as he buried his face into his pillows, hopeful that he would be able to fall back asleep without a hitch.

As usual, Kris was wrong.

He trudged out of bed at five thirty, unable to shake the underlying fear that Tao would have another outburst over something ridiculous and actually kill him. After a quick shower and a change of clothes he flies out of his apartment, Tao still preoccupied with watching Goodbye for the millionth time that morning.

Kris is out of the building by six am. He doesn't have to be in the office till eight and with two hours to blow he finds himself trailing into the café Tao worked at while he was still alive. It's less daunting this time around, each day Kris finds himself more accepting and less terrified of Tao, ghosts, the afterlife and ghosts currently in some kind of afterlife named Tao. Last nights outburst still lingers in the back of his mind. It means something but he can't quite put his finger on it.

The café has one person manning the registers, being so early in the morning there's not so many customers to deal with. He orders a café latte and wanders towards Tao's mural. Curious if there are any knew notes, maybe Sehun has scribbled something about his internship this time around. When he finally reaches the framed photo, he smiles softly. Breathing Tao seems so much more innocent, friendly even, especially in contrast to dead Tao who's haughty and sarcastic. As Kris stares at the picture he wonders if this picture was taken long before Tao even considered taking his own life.

He ponders that thought for a moment before giving up and sitting down. Almost on cue, the barista who took his order comes by and hands him his drink. It's foamy with just the right amount of espresso to condensed milk, much better than the cappuccino he had ordered last time he was here. He sits in silence, sipping his drink and thinking about what kind of person Tao used to be.

"K-Kris hyung?" A shocked voice suddenly interrupts the tall mans brooding

He turns around and immediately recognizes the intern with a stylish head of orange hair. He should be surprised to see the young man here, but he isn't. He could imagine the boy waking up far earlier than needed just to drink coffee in a place that reminded him of his old friend "Good morning Sehun, I didn't know you lived around here" he says, knowing that the office is a good thirty minute drive from this part of town and a nearly hour bus route as well.

"I-I uh I don't" Sehun stutters "I just really like this place." He sits down across from Kris

"Me too, it's close." Kris responds glancing at the pen behind Sehun's ear.

The intern just nods as he drums his fingers awkwardly on the table top, there's old drawings of hearts and a handsome squid ward carved into the wood. "I'm sorry, are you waiting for someone?" Kris asks, thinking he interrupted Sehun's morning ritual

"Oh no, I just" Sehun chuckles nervously "I usually leave notes for my friend, I thought it'd be impolite to scribble notes while I'm sitting with you." He gestured loosely towards Tao's mural. Kris assumes the correct reaction would've been remorse, but as usual he's predicted it.

"Don't worry about it. Go ahead and do what you normally do, I don't mind" Kris dismisses any indication of him being offended, and Sehun gives him a meek smile. Before smoothing out his crumpled receipt and taking his pen to begin writing an endless stream of words. Kris looks on with a fondness in his eyes, maybe if Sehun could actually speak to his dead friend it would bring the young man some peace, however he concludes that even if seeing Tao at Kris's apartment could do him some good he decides that it would have to wait a bit.

Sehun stops his writing and looks up at Kris "This was the friend I was talking bout before, the one I got this job for"

The elder gave him a soft smile "What was his name?"

"Tao" Sehun sighs "He was my best friend in the whole world."

"He sounds great" Kris upped the last bits of his drink.

"Yeah" Sehun nods "He was."

Kris fights the urge to cry and remain as cool and chic as he possibly can, as they head towards Kris's car. Sehun neatly folds his note and shoves it in his pocket, probably to go take it to the columbarium or cemetery that Tao remains in. The first few minutes of the drive are silent, Kris attempts to turn on the radio to escape the depressed atmosphere, but unfortunately for him the radio had on an endless stream of sad music. He fumbles around with the stations before turning it off entirely.

"You know" Sehun suddenly speaks "I was the one who found him."

Kris's stomach churns uncomfortably, he wants to blame it on the coffee.

"Anyway" Sehun chuckles nervously, probably aware that he was over sharing "I can't wait for the Halloween editorial you've been putting together!"

 

 


It's Thursday night in Seoul, South Korea and the magazine crew has all gone out to a karaoke bar to get hammered and sing cheesy girl group songs. It's company tradition, so who is Kris to tell his coworkers that he can't drink with them because he has a very snappy ghost waiting for him at home?

It takes four pints of beer and nearly eight shots for Kris to start rambling about ghosts and go into an acapella performance of Four Walls. Another five shots and Kris doesn't remember anything about ghosts and finds himself in the back of a taxi with Yixing, a senior photographer at the magazine with a nice . He vaguely makes out Sehun waving him off with a smirk on his face.


The two coworkers stumble into Kris's apartment, the coldness of the apartment is familiar to Kris but it confuses Yixing, who clings to Kris's side "If the weather up there is anything like it is down here, then uh wait never mind I forgot" he whispers

Kris just smiles lazily and pats Yixings head "It's warm in my bed"

"Show me the way" Yixing snuggles deeper into Kris's side. The two drunks stumble into the bedroom, lips already attached and both haphazardly removing articles of clothing. Kris is down to his underwear and his tie while Yixing falls into the bed with only his left sock on, when a very annoyed looking Tao appears beside a very shocked and very Yixing.

"Kris, is that your wife?" He asks cautiously, attempting to whisper but failing miserably so.

Kris groans "I forgot about you"

"I'm hurt" Tao mumbles sarcastically "You're quite cute, Zhang Yixing."

The smaller male is too wasted to really notice that he's never told this strange person his name before, he just blushes and stutters out a thank you.

"Too bad I have to kill you" Tao suddenly glares, white hot flames around his figure as snakes curl around Yixing's ankles. The male just giggles and softly pets the slithering reptiles "There, there little snakey snakes, I'm here."

"Uh" Tao starts awkwardly, not knowing what to do with this sort of reaction "I said I'll have to kill you!" He repeats, louder with more threatening flames.

"Oh a campfire!" Yixing rubs his hands together and places them near the green flames emitting from Zitao "Thanks so much"

"Oh I-uh I guess it's no problem" Tao scratches the back of his neck. Kris watches the whole ordeal, considerably sobered up the moment he saw two snakes appear on his bed. "Wait I'm supposed to scare you." Tao remembered, standing up, making himself appear ghoulish and very dead

"Oh my! You don't look so well" Yixing places the back of his hand against Tao's grey forehead "Hmm you're a little cold, you should get warm" the brown haired man pulls the blanket over Tao, tucking the man in nicely. Gently, he peels the snakes off of him and tuck them in beside Tao "You should be sure to get lots of rest and drink a lot of fluids, understand?" he scolds the ghost, who warily nods. "Good" he states, slipping his clothes back on

"Wait does this mean we aren't going to have ?" Kris asks, worried

"Your ugly wife is sick!" Yixing cries, shrugging on his shirt "Be a good man and take care of her" he pats Kris on the cheek before leaving.

"What a powerful man" Tao mumbles

 

A/N: Yixing is powerful indeed. ANYWAY ITS BEEN A FAT MINUTE IM SO SORRY IM AN AWFUL AUTHOR WHO AT UPDATING AND I LOVE U GUYS SO MUCH IM SORRY DONT BE ANNOYED LET ME TELL YALL A STORY SO YALL CAN LAUGH AND MAKE FUN OF ME. OKAY ONCE UPON A TIME I WAS HANGING OUT WITH MY COUSIN AND HE HAD EDIBLE BROWNIES AND I ARE HALF AND I SAID "OK THIS WILL BE GOOD" BC U KNOW EDIBLES TAKE A MIN TO KICK IN AND FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER I FIRGET THAT I ALREADY ATE HALF OF A FAT BROWNIE AND ATE TWO MORE AND to make a long ing story short I thought my brain was melting. Good night.