Old Flame

Because of You

Two weeks had passed since the moment Baekho and Minhyun put a rest on their relationship. Nu'est was busy preparing for their first comeback with full members after Minhyun's return. As if to avoid his ex-lover, Baekho spent almost all of his time cooped up in the recording studio, saying to the others that he needed to prepare his best for the comeback even though it was obvious that he had done his part perfectly. Minhyun had tried multiple times to talk properly with Baekho, only to get rejected with various reasons, some of which were too ridiculous to believe. Eventually, Minhyun had started to give up and used his energy to prepare for the comeback instead.

One evening, after their group dance practice, Minhyun caught Baekho sleeping on the couch of their living room. He really wanted to hate the older for breaking his heart but seeing Baekho innocently sleeping with a tired look just melted Minhyun's heart. He blamed himself for being so weak in front of Baekho but he also remembered the sweet things Baekho had done for him. At the end, Minhyun brought a blanket from his room and put it over the sleeping Baekho to prevent the older from catching cold.

Minhyun was about to go inside his room when he heard a low groan coming from the man he had just left. He turned around to find Baekho pulling the blanket above him to his neck, probably feeling a bit cold. Minhyun went closer to the sleeping man, carressing the cheeks which were thinner compared to the last time he saw them up close. He could see some stubble on the older's chin just like usual since Baekho never shaved regularly. Just staring at Baekho sleeping peacefully was relaxing enough for him. Minhyun wished that he could hug the older tightly, warming the older's body and hopefully uniting their hearts once more. Unconsciously, Minhyun spent almost an hour sitting beside Baekho, observing the older who was too tired to open his eyes and notice his presence.

"Oh, Minhyun! Why are you still awake?" Minhyun jumped off the couch from surprise only to saw JR sleepily rubbed his eyes in front of his room.

"I was about to sleep. Good night." Minhyun awkwardly laughed at his leader, walking towards his own room, hoping that JR did not notice him staring at a sleeping figure before.

"Do you want to have a drink with me?" JR asked him before he opened his door.

"I don't drink." Minhyun reminded his leader, making the older looked down in disappointment. "But I can make a hot cocoa if you need a company."

JR sat in front of Minhyun in their dining room, sipping a can of beer he took from the fridge while Minhyun drank the hot cocoa he had just made. Minhyun knew that JR was preparing himself to say something and he waited patiently for the older. Afterall, after seeing Baekho, his desire to sleep had gone. After a while, JR sighed and stopped sipping on his drink, staring at Minhyun.

"I've failed, Minhyun-ah. I've tried everything I could but I still could not stop thinking about him. What can I do when he's always there beside me? We're even sleeping on the same bed for God's sake. What should I do, Minhyun-ah? You're the only one I can ask." JR banged his head on the table after venting out his frustration, making Minhyun shocked at his sudden outburst. It was not usual for the leader to express his feelings openly like this.

"Minki?" Minhyun asked, feeling stupid for asking an obvious question. JR nodded his head, waiting for Minhyun's advice.

"What even happened between you two? In case you forget, I was not here when you broke up."

"He asked me for a breakup. I agreed immediately. I should have begged him to stay, asked him what was wrong. But I just said yes like an idiot." JR sobbed.

"Begging doesn't help. I've tried it and it didn't work." Minhyun smiled painfully.

"What do you mean?"

"I tried to beg when Baekho dumped me, and he still dumped me in the end. At least you still have your pride. I have none." Minhyun answered in a cold tone.

"That Kang Baekho. So that's why he keeps on overworking himself inside the studio. I'll kill him." JR groaned.

"You know what? Ren said the same thing when he first knew about it. You two are really compatible." Minhyun laughed a little.

"Ren... it was my fault. I got too occupied with my works, I ignored him sometimes, a lot of times. I took him for granted, thinking that no matter what he would always be there by my side. I even flirted with other people on screen just to make the situations funnier, to show my variety skills to the public. I didn't think of his feelings, that he might get hurt because of me." A trail of tears started to appear on JR's cheeks.

"Hey, don't cry. You made a mistake but you can always try to fix it. Instead of dawdling in your own guilt, try to talk to him about your true feelings, that you still love him." Minhyun said to the older, consoling him. Minhyun's eyes went bigger when he saw Ren coming out of his room with a worried look, which quickly turned to a relief when he saw JR in the dining room. Minhyun asked JR in a louder voice, trying to make Ren hear their conversation. "You still love Ren, don't you?"

"Of course. He's the only person I have ever loved and I will ever love. I think at this rate I'll die alone with cats surrounding me." JR chuckled, still looking at the table. Ren slowly approached them, being careful not to make a noise.

"Why don't you say it directly to him? Asking for forgiveness and getting back together again." Minhyun replied, his eyes fixed on the person they were talking about.

"I don't have the right to, Minhyun-ah. I've had my chance and I ruined it. He deserves better than me." JR sobbed louder, his emotions flowing out of him. Ren was stoned on his track, staring at his ex with a sad look. "I don't want to be a selfish person. I just want him to be happy but deep inside, I want to be the reason for his happiness. I'm selfish, aren't I?"

Minhyun didn't get the chance to reply since JR was quickly engulfed in a fierce hug from their maknae, who was also crying his eyes out after hearing JR's confession. "Stupid Kim Jonghyun. I can't believe I gave my heart to an idiot like you."

Minhyun smiled proudly at his work, knowing that at least one couple had successfully rekindled their love for each other. He looked at the couple in front of him for a moment before leaving them to go to sleep for real this time, which was not a success after he saw Baekho standing in front of him, holding the blanket Minhyun brought for him.

"Can you talk with me for a moment?" Baekho asked him hesitantly, afraid to meet Minhyun's eyes. Minhyun was stoned for a moment before pulling Baekho to his room to talk in private.

P.s. finally the angst is over hahaha sorry for too many jren in this chapter but the next one will be full of baekmin. Thank you for reading ❤