Temporary

Because of You

This chapter is set before PD101. Please enjoy~

Minhyun and Baekho's relationship had been going strong for the past five years. They had their differences but always sorted it out in the end. Fans also supported them together after looking at their fun interactions which consisted mostly of them insulting each other and bickering. The other members also suspected something between the two of them but they never asked for confirmation directly, respecting Baekho and Minhyun's privacy.

To lessen the suspicions of others, and because Minhyun could not stand Baekho's messiness, they used different bedrooms. On most nights, however, Baekho usually slipped in to Minhyun's room, doing both innocent activities and the not-so-innocent ones. Despite their popularity which was not so massive, Minhyun and Baekho really enjoyed their lives with Nu'est, who had become a real family to them. Minhyun always prayed every night for them to stay together forever, until the end of time.

Apparently, not all prayers get answered. A sudden news broke all of the members' hearts and confidence. Their company had deemed them not successful and profitable enough and even threatened to disband them. They were also asked to enter some kind of survival program designed for trainees as the last resort to boost their popularity. If none of them made it into the final group in the show, Nu'est would be disbanded. The news came down to all the members like a boulder, crushing them to their bones. Minhyun looked at the other members, who showed the same expression as his at that moment.

The first thing that came to Minhyun's mind was his relationship with Baekho. If one of them made it to the final group, they would be separated for almost two years. Worse, if none of them made it, they would be separated forever. Of course the best case would be if both of them made it together or none of them made it but JR or Ren got in. However, he could not determine the result. The best thing he could do was to perform his best and hoping for no separation between them or a temporary separation at worst. That night, Minhyun's head was about to explode from all the what ifs thoughts.

"Minhyun-ah, are you still awake?" Minhyun heard Baekho's voice on the other side of his bedroom's door. "Can I come in?"

Without answering, Minhyun opened the door directly and hugged the man tightly, never wanted to let him go. Baekho hugged him back as he entered the room and closed the door behind him. Minhyun's tears fell slowly the moment his head landed on Baekho's shoulder. He could feel Baekho's muscles tensed up and his hands moving up and down in a comforting gesture on his back. Unlike him, Baekho did not shed any tears, but he knew that Baekho tried his best to stay strong at that time for him. It was always like that for them. When one of them was on the verge of breaking down, the other stayed strong like a pillar and support them both. This time, Baekho was the pillar for Minhyun and Baekho himself to lean on, to face the harsh reality.

"Tell me I'm in a dream. That this is just a nightmare." Minhyun whispered weakly to the man who was embracing him. He still could not believe the situation he was in. One moment everything was just like usual, the same joyful atmosphere that always existed in their dorm, and after the damned sentence was uttered, everything seemed to change, just like when you were waking up from a dream.

"I'm sorry..." Baekho whispered back, tears threatening to fall down from the eyes which usually gave out a strong gaze.

None of them tried to change their position. They kept embracing each other longingly, dreading for the time when they could not enjoy the other's embrace anymore. Ever since Minhyun confessed his feelings, which was accepted immediately, they had been inseparable. The tiring schedule and overseas promotion without a huge sum of payment never bothered them as they enjoyed every moment. Minhyun could not imagine his life without Baekho, and he was sure that the older had the same feelings.

"Minhyun-ah... What do you want to do about us?" Baekho asked hesitantly, his voice trembling out of nervousness. "We are going to be fully surrounded by cameras."

"Are you going to break up with me?" Minhyun asked Baekho back slowly. After processing the older's words, Minhyun felt uncomfortable. Although Baekho did not imply anything about breaking up explicitly, it was as if the other was suggesting a break up. Minhyun broke their hug and looked straight at Baekho's eyes, trying to read his lover's expression.

"I'm not suggesting anything... It's just separating temporarily is better than our group disbandment." Baekho avoided Minhyun's stare, his eyes fixed on the floor. "I'll follow your decision, Minhyun-ah. I believe you."

Minhyun stayed quiet. He was thinking of all the possibilities that could happen from the next word he utter. He knew the importance of the program and he knew that he could not be selfish but Baekho was his main priority. One thing he was sure of, he would forever regret the moment he let Baekho go. He took a deep breath and told the other his decision. "No."

"What do you mean?" Baekho looked at Minhyun, his face full of questions.

"No. I don't want to break up with you." Minhyun said with a flat tone as he sat down on his bed. Baekho was still stoned, staring at Minhyun with the same clueless expression.

"Are you sure? We might ruin our only chance if they catch us." Baekho sounded unsure of Minhyun's decision but Minhyun could feel relief from the older's tone. At least Minhyun was not the only one who wanted to keep their relationship going.

"I am. We are both professionals. Our relationship is not the lovey dovey type anyway, they won't know about it as long as you keep your hormone under control. We need to worry more about our leader and maknae." Minhyun replied, smiling at Baekho.

Baekho smiled back excitedly, happy to have such a mature and reasonable boyfriend. He had actually prepared himself to be dumped since he knew how much they both value their group. Baekho promised himself to put himself on line to save their group, to keep his relationship, and most importantly to protect Minhyun. He sat down beside his boyfriend and took the latter's hand, carressing it lovingly as Minhyun laid his head on Baekho's shoulder.

"Thank you." Baekho said, closing his eyes as he enjoyed Minhyun's presence beside him.

"I did not do anything." Minhyun hummed as a response.

"You saved our relationship. You made the decision I did not dare to make. You are much braver than I am, Hwang Minhyun." Baekho said in a serious tone, which was rare for him.

"You owe me one. But really, you know that I will never let you go, don't you? Or did you really think that I would break up with you?" Minhyun chuckled at his boyfriend. Nothing could ever stand between him and Baekho. Minhyun had given his heart to his lover and he had no intention of taking it back. He lifted his head from Baekho's shoulder, making the latter's eyes fluttered open.

"Of course you won't. What did I do in my past life to deserve someone like you?" Baekho grinned, his face slightly red from the cheesy line he just uttered. Minhyun laughed heartily before he gave three kisses to the older, from his forehead, down to his nose, and finally to the older's lips. Baekho responsed to Minhyun's kiss by the younger's lips, asking for entrance, which Minhyun graciously permitted.

"No matter what the result is, I will always be there for you. Even if we get separated, we will always find a way back to each other." Baekho said in the middle of their kiss.

"I know, I will always be there for you too. Now just shut up and let me kiss you properly." Minyun replied with a playful smile before closing his eyes and connected his lips to the older's again.

P.s. Baekho just said that the member he wanted as his boyfriend was 'the one that is away from us now' 😢 so much angst 😢