Distance

Because of You

After an extremely long wait, 18 months finally passed. The long year without much contact had indeed created a distance between Baekho and Minhyun. Neither of them was brave enough to say it, but both of them knew that their relationship was crumbling down. They had changed during their times apart, and the lack of communication made it impossible for them to adjust and adapt. Meeting Baekho again, and this time to stay with him for a long time made Minhyun nervous, although happiness was also there in his heart.

His time with WannaOne was amazing, full of new experience he was grateful of. He also had become attached to the other WannaOne members, especially the hyung lines he spent so much time with. At their last night together, Minhyun felt a mixed emotion of sadness and happiness at the same time. Both of them equally strong inside him. He promised all of the other members of WannaOne to keep in contact with them, and to support them in all of their future activities. And finally, WannaOne Minhyun was replaced by Nu'est Minhyun.

Being the person who removed the W element of waiting in Nu'est W made him emotional. He was really thankful to the members and fans who were really understanding toward him. Seeing the name Nu'est without the waiting part as a whole group made him teared up, missing s. The ride to his dorm was really tense. Minhyun could not stop biting his nails, something he did not usually do. Being together for eight years bonded them to a family but he had missed the past one and a half year of the other's life, which must have been full of memories he could not become a part of. He was most worried about Baekho. About his lover whom he had not met properly for a long time.

"Hang Minyeon! I missed you so much. I can't believe you're staying here forever now." Ren opened the door after Minhyun rang the bell, smiling widely with pure happiness in his eyes. He was quickly pulled into a tight hug by the younger, which he quickly returned. "Oh, I'll tell JR to move his things from your room."

"Where are the others?" Minhyun asked Ren. The dorm seemed empty, without the usual noisy shouting and chattering.

"Aron hyung is cooking in the kitchen for your welcoming back little party, JR-ie and Baekho are getting some snacks." Ren entered the dorm, Minhyun following behind him. Minhyun just nodded before sitting on their dorm sofa, which was different from the last time he visited. "You can rest here first. I'll go to the kitchen and help Aron hyung."

"Yah! Don't ruin the food. I don't want to get sick right after coming back." Minhyun teased the younger who really lacked of cooking skills. Ren glared toward him before entering the kitchen to help Aron. Minhyun laid down on the couch, preparing himself to greet his boyfriend. During his promotion outside of Nu'est, Minhyun kept monitoring all of Nu'est's performance and activities. Gradually, Baekho seemed happier, which made him happy to see his loved one happy but also made him disappointed since he could not be the reason behind Baekho's smile. He was also continuously worried about the potential of Baekho to fall in love with someone else, especially with his absence. After one hour had passed, a beep from the door was heard and two figures entered the dorm.

"Look who's here! Welcome back Minhyunnie!" JR eagerly put his grocery bag on the table and hugged Minhyun briefly, before leaving Baekho and Minhyun alone in the living room. "I'll go to the kitchen to prepare the cake and snacks. You two can catch up first."

"Uh... hi?" Baekho scratched his head timidly, uncomfortable from the awkward atmosphere between them. He slowly approached Minhyun but stopped suddenly before touching the younger.

"Hello. And why don't you hug me? I thought you would have kissed me immediately after our long separation, just like a drama scene." Minhyun joked to lighten up the situation. He tried his best to look natural even though he was hurting inside because of Baekho's action.

"I'm sorry, it's just... nevermind. I miss you." Baekho showed a small smile, stepping forward and pulled Minhyun to a comforting hug, his strong arms wrapped around Minhyun like the way they used to hug each other. Minhyun put his chin on Baekho's shoulder, feeling the presence of his lover pressed on his body. However, something about Baekho's hug was just not right. It felt cold, the usual warmth radiating from the older's body was not there. Shaking off thr thoughts, Minhyun released himself from the hug and pulled Baekho to the kitchen to join the other.

"Welcome back Minhyun-ah. Sorry I did not greet you earlier. I had to save our food from Ren's destructive hand." Aron shouted from behind the stove, protecting himself from Ren's slaps. Minhyun laughed, watching the other members playing around together, preparing food for their dinner. The joyful moments continued to their dinner time, where Minhyun and the others exchanged their experience of the past year. Despite the usual cheerful atmosphere, Minhyun noticed some differences, like JR and Ren's lack of interaction and Baekho's timid glances toward him.

"By the way, what happened between the two of you?" Minhyun pointed his finger to JR and Ren, who looked at each other briefly as if they were communicating telepathically.

"We decided to take a break. We were so busy that our relationship was not going so well. Don't worry though, we're still friends so it won't be awkward between us." Ren smiled sadly while answering Minhyun's question. JR only nodded along, his eyes fixed on the floor. Minhyun's mouth formed an o-shape, shocked at his bandmates' breakup. From his point of view, it seemed like both of them still loved reach other. He wondered what made them decided to 'take a break'. It also made him think of his own relationship. If JR and Ren could not make it even when they had been living together, what about his long distance relationship with Baekho. He was afraid that Baekho would ask him for a breakup.

After the dinner, Minhyun went to his own room, which was empty after JR moved his stuffs back to his shared bedroom with Ren. Minhyun hoped that after rooming up together again, JR and Ren could get back together. He was unpacking his clothes and other things when a familiar head popped up from his door. Minhyun smiled brightly after seeing his loved one's face, asking him to come inside.

"How are you?" Baekho sat down on Minhyun's bed, watching the younger tidying up his scattered stuffs on the floor.

"Good. It's good to be back here again." Minhyun stopped his activity to look at his boyfriend's face, observing the perfect face which had gotten more handsome since the last time he saw him. He was about to jump on his lover when he saw a frown on the older's face and he also noticed Baekho's lips which was bleeding, obviously from the lip biting habit of the older whenever he was nervous. "What's wrong? Why are you frowning?"

Baekho looked at Minhyun deeply and took the younger's hand, filling Minhyun with fear of what the older was about to do. "I need to say something."

P.s. I'm sorry I lied about this chapter being the last. I tried to finish it up but I ended up writing a new conflict... so please enjoy this chapter and thank you for reading ❤