There Is A Place

The Place When We're 19
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I thought about the first time I saw you, thought about the mottled times
You were by my side, finally not astray anymore
I thought about the familiar streets
Thought about the good times that were lost
There is a place
That only you and I know"

-There Is A Place by Kris Wu

Tao sat on the bench opposite of the direction where he had came into the centre of the maze from, his eyes piercing up at the beautiful statue standing in the fountain as he sat. The beautiful statue depicted a female water carrier with her arms above her head and holding a pot with water gushing out from its mouth — she wore a Greek outfit which showed off her curvy carved body. It was really a sight to behold, no matter how little interest you have for art. 

          However, Tao wasn't here to enjoy the statues' beauty. Some people came to the park to relax and have fun, but that wasn't the purpose Tao came to the park either. Tao was sitting on a bench and looking like he was resting, yes, but resting doesn't involve people's mind being occupied by thoughts running around and throwing a party. 

          Due to humanity's busy life, not many people gets the chance to visit the park. However, no matter how little visitors the park gets, the maze gets even lesser visitors for reasons unknown. Which is why, Tao was the only one seen in the centre of the maze. It was also because Tao knew there won't be any people in the maze either, which was another reason he visited the maze. Tao needed a quiet place. 

          Quiet places are the best places for people with broken hearts and needed a moment of silence to rethink back at their lives. 

          Tao visited the maze to reminisce memories of when he was younger and had somebody that loved him. It had been eight years since he broke up with that person and Tao had already passed his twenty-fourth birthday. This place was that person's favourite place, that's why Tao came here. 

          That day was not the day they broke up — Tao couldn't bring himself to remember the date — so you can't call this an anniversary. Tao just came here because of Baekhyun who told him how he was going to pass his Valentines Day with Chanyeol so he won't be home on Valentines. When there's talk about Valentines then there would be talks about love, and when there are talks about love then Tao would start thinking back about him. 

          That man — the man who admired everything about Tao; the one who showered him with all the love that the world could ever offer; the man who would follow Tao everywhere he went; the man who would do anything for Tao. He was also the same man who trusted Tao; who thought Tao couldn't be capable of ruining a relationship; who thought Tao was the one for him. The man whose heart was broken because of Tao. 

          "Kris," the male let the name roll off his tongue, continuing to stare out into space as thoughts consumed him once again. 

          Yes, Kris was an innocent man. Kris didn't lack in any sort of knowledge — I mean in a way of 'where do babies come from' — but that didn't stop him from being naive. Kris was easy to fall for Tao; easy to do everything for Tao; easy to believe in Tao, so much that Kris was willing to risk his friendship just for Tao. 

          And what did Tao do to repay Kris? Tao cheated on Kris with Yuri. Tao cheated on Kris, exploited Kris' naivety so he could be with Yuri and Kris at the same time. 

          Tao thought that Kris wouldn't find out about it, but he was wrong. 

          They say that Karma is a , and Tao could not disagree any more. Kris somehow found about Tao and Yuri and didn't hesitate to break up with Tao. Tao realised just how big of a mistake had he done but was too late to fix it because Kris had already left. 

          Kris left, with a broken heart. 

          Tao looked up when he sensed someone entering the maze and he felt his breath hitching when he saw the person standing at the entrance of the maze. 

          It was Kris. 

          Tao and Kris locked eyes for a long moment, none of them said a word or moved a muscle. Finally, Tao forced himself to tear his gaze away from Kris and it caused a chain reaction. Tao heard Kris walking up to the bench he was sitting on and sitting down, scooting as much to the side of the bench as possible so that he's not too close to Tao. 

          After all these years, Kris is still cold to Tao. 

         The lively and cheerful Kris disappeared when Tao broke his heart. The part of Kris that made him loved and adored by everyone had been snatched away by Tao. If Kris hadn't met Tao, then Kris wouldn't have become a lively shell with cold insides. 

          But then again, Kris had also matured thanks to Tao. Kris had learnt that not everything lasts and that to wish for eternity is just wistful thoughts that would never happen. Kris learned to move on from things no matter how hard it is to do so. 

          Most importantly, Kris learnt to take a step back when trusting people because for all he knew the person he's about to trust might not be who he thinks they are — like Tao. 

          Tao and Kris sat there on the bench in silence, none of them daring to utter a word to one another in fear of breaking the thin layer of tension in the air. Tao heard Kris fumbling with his drawing tools but paid no mind to it — at least, he tried his best not to. Tao continued to daydream while Kris had already started sketching a layout in his sketchbook. 

          The eerie silence dragged on with Tao thinking of nothing and Kris sketching a blank. 

          Finally, Kris broke the silence, "Hello." 

          Tao glanced at Kris and saw that Kris was still staring at his sketchbook and not willing to look at Tao, "Hey." 

          There was a fond smile and a distant look in Kris' eyes, but as soon as it appeared it went. Silence once more. 

          Tao leaned towards Kris just a tad bit to look interested in what Kris was drawing, "What're you drawing?" 

          Kris shrugged, "I'm not sure." 

          Tao nodded but didn't say anything else. 

          "What are you doing here?" Kris decided to ask as he glanced up at Tao for only a split second before quickly darting his eyes back to his sketchbook. 

          Tao looked at Kris for a moment, staring at the latter until he saw him shifting uncomfortably, "Just trying to reminisce some memories." 

          That seemed to catch Kris attention as he fully looked up at Tao now, interest glinting in his eyes, "Oh?" 

          Tao nodded and Kris leaned back into the bench, "If I may ask, what about?" 

          Tao didn't answer and Kris decided not to push it. 

          Kris probably had a rough idea on what Tao was thinking about. 

 

 

 

Tao waved his friend Baekhyun a goodbye before exiting his dorm, walking over to the elevator. Kris had invited Tao the other day, saying that he wanted to bring the younger to somewhere. Kris didn't tell Tao wherethat place was, saying that it was a secret. 

          Tao wondered about the place that Kris would be bringing him to while he was in the elevator. What kind of place will Kris be taking him to? 

          Tao heard the elevator door opening with a 'ding' and exited, making a beeline for Kris' dormitory. Kris had told Tao that Chanyeol was out doing God-knows-what, so it was only Kris at the dormitory. Kris also told Tao that he would be making breakfast, so he could just come right over when he's prepared.

          Tao came to Kris' room a few times, the first time he came to Kris' dormitory was thanks to Baekhyun who had wanted to make a surprise breakfast for Chanyeol on Valentines Day. While they were at it, Tao also helped with breakfast and served up his best to Kris — let's just say that Tao was glad Baekhyun was there to help him with cooking. 

          Tao arrived to Kris' dorm and knocked on the door, waiting for it to be answered. Tao heard shuffling from the other side of the door before looking up when the door opened. Tao was immediately greeted by Kris who had a large smile on his face and was wearing a pink apron. 

          Tao couldn't laugh, not when he himself had wore that same apron that time when he and Baekhyun made a surprise breakfast for Kris and Chanyeol. 

          "Hello," the older of the two bid before stepping aside to let the younger in. 

          Tao smiled back at Kris as he entered the dorm, "Hey." 

          Tao caught a glimpse of Kris smiling back before he looked away while the elder closed the door. Once a person enters Kris and Chanyeol's dorm, they would be greeted with a hallway to the living room. The wall would have a window to the kitchen. 

          Tao turned to Kris as the elder passed him by to get to the kitchen while also being told by the elder, "You can go and have a seat! Make yourself comfortable. Breakfast will be up soon." 

          Tao nodded after Kris' retreating figure before making his way to the living room and plopping down onto the blue couch. To the left of the couch was a glass door showing what's outside, the glass door being covered by thin layers of white curtains. The coffee table is placed between the couch and the television, a soft carpet under the coffee table and the edge ending right in front of the couch. 

          "You can turn on the television while you wait," the elder called from the kitchen and the younger wasted no time in getting the remote control and turning the television on. 

          Tao surfed through the channels before finally settling on a drama channel, watching whatever show was being broadcasted. The show that he was currently watching was about an unfaithful boyfriend cheating on his naive girlfriend with some hot y girl he met in a bar. Tao sighed out in irritation — can't they make a story where the guys are not the one cheating and instead the other way around? 

          "Breakfast is ready," the elder called from the kitchen and Tao got up from the couch. 

          Tao turned off the television before going into the kitchen where he was greeted by the sight of Kris setting up the table. Kris cooked quiche for breakfast, the fragrant smell egg wafted in the air and Tao could smell hints of cheese and bacon. The smell alone was making Tao's mouth water. 

          "Well, what are you standing there for?" Kris' chuckle snapped Tao out of his thoughts as the elder gestured to the chairs, "Take a seat and dig right in!" 

          Tao was quick to abide, sitting on the chair nearest to the quiche as Kris served him one plate of it. Tao thanked Kris after being handed the fork and dived right in. If the smell wasn't enough to make a person's mouth water, then the taste definitely will. 

          Tao moaned as the flavours bursted inside his mouth, the savoury was making his taste buds go haywire. Tao was quick to take another bite, and then another bite, scuffing down the dish like a hungry wolf. Kris was laughing lightly and shyly at Tao's gesture. 

          "Is it that good?" Kris questioned curiously and Tao gave him an incredulous look. 

          "It's not good," the elder looked taken aback for a bit until Tao's next line, "It's freaking fantastic! I've never eaten any quiche this tasty before!" 

          Tao's compliment only added more embarassment to Kris as his face grew hotter, making the elder's face look like a tomato. Tao smirked slightly at Kris' reaction as the elder tried his best to hide his blush by looking away and clearing his throat. Tao could see a small smile on Kris' turned face. 

          The two had breakfast for a bit, talking about whatever came to their mind at that moment. They continued to eat the quiche until there was none left and Tao was scooping up air from the pan. Tao looked at the empty pan and pouted — there was no more quiche and he really liked it. 

          Kris saw Tao's pout and chuckled lightly, standing up from his seat as he collected the dishes, "Hey, don't be sad. I can always cook another one if you wish." 

          Tao looked up a bit too excitedly, "Seriously?" 

          Kris hummed, "Next time though. I still have somewhere to show you." 

          Right, Tao almost forgot why he was here in the first place. That meant the quiche had to wait for another day. 

          "Let me help out," the younger offered as he got up. 

          Kris didn't protest as he stepped to one side to leave some room for Tao to stand beside, a smile on his lips, "That's really nice of you, thanks."

          Tao didn't reply, but there was no need for him to. 

          Tao and Kris stood side-by-side and washed the dishes, making up small talks while doing so. Kris washed the dishes while Tao dried them and put them back to the cabinets that Kris instructed. Within seconds, the two were done washing and putting away the dishes. 

          Kris smiled thankfully at Tao as he untied the apron and pulled it off of him, hanging it to the only hanger in the kitchen that was meant for that apron. 

          "Shall we get going," the elder asked and the younger only need to nod before they were out of the dorm. 

          Tao left the university compound alongside Kris, their hands interlaced with one another as Kris pulled Tao to take a left turn out once out of the compound. The street was buzzing with cars for a Saturday morning and the sidewalk was no less on people either. Kris brought Tao down a few more roads, making a few more turns until Tao found himself being led to the park nearest to their university — which was honestly probably an hour walk if you walk fast enough like Kris and Tao. 

          The park was filled with people but then again given that it was a Saturday, very little people would be stressed with work or studies and could lay back and relax. Tao saw a few couples having picnics on the green soft grass, a variety of food was placed on their thin picnic blanket; there were also some kids chasing around the field, their squeals and laughter filling the air; some men were also throwing frisbees to their dogs, their pet rushing back to them with the plate in their mouth. The park was definitely not quiet. 

          Kris tugged at Tao and the younger quickly followed as the elder pulled him to a tall hedge in the centre of the park. On closer inspection, Tao realised that it wasn't a tall hedge but in fact a maze. There was a maze in the middle of a park, just whose idea is that? 

          Tao heard Kris chuckling and he looked over while the elder informed, "The maze is built so there's only one way. So if you're scared that anyone could get lost in the maze, then rest assure because they won't." 

          Tao didn't realise that he had been tensed upon finding out about the maze. 

          Kris pulled Tao to the entrance of the maze and guided him down the pathway of the maze. True to Kris' word, even though Tao and Kris many turns, there was not once where they come across a crossroad or any of that sort. This maze was truly a one-way maze. 

          Before Tao realised it, they had arrived to a clearing and Tao couldn't help the gasp that left him when he saw the scenery that greeted his eyes. 

          There was a fountain in the middle of the space that they were in, the tall green walls of the maze surrounding the area. The fountain had a beautiful female water carrier with the mouth of her pot pouring out splashes after spalshes of water. There were benches against each walls. 

          Tao's mouth was agape and eyes wide and Kris laughed lightly at the reaction. 

          "Come on," the elder tugged at the younger's hand once more, dragging the still dazed younger to one of the benches. 

          Tao felt himself being pushed down onto the bench but his eyes were still trained on the fountain and the beauty of it. The way how some water streamed down the length of the statue and how the water reflected the bright sunlight, making the water shiny and bright. Sparks of droplets cpuld be seen as the water spalshed hard against the surface. 

          Tao faintly felt a weight resting against his head and he instinctively leaned into it, hearing his partner sighing beside him. 

          "Beautiful, isn't she?" Kris asked but Tao didn't answer. 

          There wasn't any need to anyway — Tao's face was still that of shock and awe. 

          They stayed quiet for a while, Tao faintly remembered Kris pushing his jaw upwards to close his mouth. Tao also faintly remembered Kris warning him something about flies flying into his mouth. At some point, Tao felt Kris holding his hands but didn't say anything about it. 

          Just like that, the two sat in silence, enjoying the view of the fountain. 

 

 

 

Tao felt the stare on him but as uncomfortable the stare was making him, he couldn't do much about it anyway. After all, the person who was staring at him was the ex-boyfriend that he cheated on. Tao couldn't find it in himself to tell him the things he can and can't do. 

          Finally, after a very long time of silence, Tao felt Kris looking away from him. Tao heard the sounds of papers flipping and drawing tools clinking against one another, giving him a good idea of what Kris was doing. Tao decided to turn and look at Kris then. 

          Tao may not be an artist, but he always finds himself enjoying something if they're very beautiful. Just like the first time he saw the fountain — Tao was absolutely left speechless by the sheer beauty of it. Another good example of him admiring the beauty of something — or someone — was the person sitting right beside him at this instant and sketching something in his sketchbook. 

          The part of Kris that Tao loved the most was the elder's eyes. Most of the time they're wide and sprakling, that is until he becomes serious and his eyes instantly squints. Tao thought that Kris looked handsome when his eyes aren't wide and big, like currently. 

          Tao didn't realise how close he was to Kris to watch what he was drawing until Kris looked up and jerked back, effectively hitting the small of his beck to th armrest of the bench. Kris yelped and bent over, massaging the part of his beck that hit harshly against the armrest with a groan. Tao quickly scooted backwards. 

          "Sorry," the younger looked away. 

          "It's okay," the elder said. 

          Tao glanced at Kris with a worried frown, "You okay?" 

          Kris smiled while shaking his head, "I'm fine, it's nothing serious anyway." 

          Tao nodded, his eyes glancing down at the sketchbook and he gestured to it, "What are you drawing?" 

          Kris followed Tao's hand and stared at his skectbook for a moment, "Something." 

          Tao raised a brow, "'Something'?"

          Kris shook his head and turned away, "You'll know it when I'm done." 

 

 

 

Tao sat on the bench with his back against the arm rest, his body leaning forward and his legs crossed with his elbow on his knee. Tao watched as Kris' hand busied itself with drawing something on the sketchbook, his right hand drawing short lines while his left hand erase any errors made. Tao's nose felt itchy and he reached up to scratch it. 

          Kris immediately snapped his gaze up at Tao, a warning look in his usually soft eyes, "Put your hand down." 

          Tao quickly let that hand fall back to where it had been placed before. 

          Tao had agreed with Kris to follow him to the maze once again that day, but this time Kris came with things in hand. Tao was confused when he saw the sketchbook and drawing tools, but he didn't ask questions about it. It was until they reached the centre of the maze and sat on their usual spot that Tao found out what Kris was planning. 

          "Pose," instructed Kris and Tao looked up in confusion, earning an eye roll from the elder, "I'm going to draw you, so pose. And make sure that you're comfortable in the pose so you don't have to keep shifting just to make yourself comfortable."

          Tao didn't need to be told twice, quickly finding a position that he deemed comfortable. It took him a while to find the pose that Tao thought would not only be comfortable for him, but also look nice for Kris to draw. Kris judged the pose for a moment before nodding in approval, smiling and starting his sketch. 

          While Kris was sketching Tao, the younger decided to strike up some small talks with the elder. They didn't talk about a topic for too long since the elder was very concentrated in his drawing. At some point, Tao ran out of ideas on what else to say so he just kept quiet. 

          Tao didn't know how much time had passed already, so he asked. 

          "What time is it already?" 

          Kris looked up at Tao for a split second before looking at his watch. 

          "It's about to be eleven." 

          Tao nodded, "How long have we been here exactly?" 

          Kris hummed thoughtfully, "I think it was already nine when we arrived here." 

          Tao's eyes almost bulged out from its sockets, "Nine?" 

          Kris nodded and Tao held himself back from gaping at the elder, "Had two hours literally just passed?" 

          Kris shrugged, "It seemed so." 

          "And you're not done yet?" 

          Kris scowled at Tao, "Drawing is not easy, okay?" 

          "But no worries," the elder quickly went back to sketching, "I'm almost done, just give me a few more minutes." 

          Tao felt that the few minutes would be an eternity. 

          Nonetheless, Tao patiently waited for Kris to be done with his drawing. Tao's body ached everywhere but he tried to show no signs of it and bore with it because he believed that the results Kris would be presenting will not disappoint. The thought of it made Tao smile. 

          "Done," the elder finally said, his eyes brightening in joy and pride. 

          Tao on the other hand just pounced on the grass — let's just say he really needed the rest. 

          Kris looked down at Tao with a wide smile on his face as he excitedly asked the younger, "Are you ready to see the final results?" 

          "Just a second," the younger held a finger up and Kris waited patiently, the sketchbook clutched in his hands. 

          When Tao got up into a sitting position, Kris wasted no time to give Tao the sketchbook. Well, actually, Kris basically shoved the sketchbook into Tao's not-awaiting hands. Tao looked up at Kris for just a moment before quickly looking down to see the results, his eyes widening at what he saw. 

          The sketch of him was majestic. Tao could practically see all these lines connecting with one another to form a beautiful sketch like this one. The short lines connected one another to create his figure and a few lines were also drawn criss-crossed with one another to form the shadow. 

          All in all, this sketch was well done. 

          "So," the younger looked up as the elder asked, "What do you think?" 

          Tao looked back at the sketch and breathed in slowly. 

          "Gorgeous." 

 

 

 

"All right," the younger was snapped out from his thoughts when he heard Kris talking, looking over at the elder who had a small smile on his face and his drawing tools on the bench beside him, "I'm done." 

          Tao nodded and took the sketchbook once Kris handed it to him. 

          It was a sketch of a kid with his mother. The kid had a bowl haircut and his eyes turned upward when he grinned, spotting a dimple on his right cheek. He was wearing a striped shirt and khaki shorts, his socks were loose and they hung around the edge of his shoes. 

          The mother was crouching beside her son with a hand on her son's hip, there was also a dimple on her right cheek like her son when she smiles. Her bangs were swept to the right and it extended down her face, the rest of her hair was pulled back into a ponytail. Her eyes were round and dark and she wore a simple short sleeves shirt and a pair of short jeans along with a pair of sandals. 

          Tao smiled at the drawing, "This is beautiful." 

          Tao didn't notice the smile on Kris' face as he was too concentrated on the beautiful drawing in his hands. 

          "Don't they look familiar?" Kris asked and Tao looked up at him with a raised brow. 

          "You drew actual people?" Tao asked and the only reply he got from Kris was a shrug. 

          "I like drawing all kinds of things," the elder said, "But I enjoy drawing people the most.." 

          "I can tell," the younger looked back at the drawing, "But these two aren't just people you come up with instead of being actual living breathing people?" 

          Kris understood the question, "I draw my own characters before, but I find more beauty in drawing actual people who walked the Earth." 

          Tao looked down at the sketchbook again as Kris asked once more, "Do you remember these two?" 

          Tao squinted and angled the sketchbook multiple times, trying to find an angle that might spark any sort of memory. Tao at first had the drawing angled so it's tilted to the left but then he changed it to the other side when he found no answer to it. After angling the sketchbook in his hands in angles of all sorts — fully on its side and even upside down — but to no avail, Tao finally gave up and dropped the book onto his lap. 

          "I don't know who are these two," the younger looked over at the elder, "Who are these two suppose to be?" 

          Kris smiled and took the sketchbook from Tao, flipping to another page and taking his drawing tools out to start another sketch. Kris didn't answer Tao's question immediately, taking his time at sketching out a new layout for another drawing. Tao waited patiently for Kris to be done with whatever he was doing, watching as the elder sketched. 

          "Do you remember the kid that we came across in the maze once?" Kris finally said and Tao looked up at the male.

          After a long pause, a flash of memory crossed Tao's mind and he was instantly reminded of the boy that Kris was talking about. 
          "Oh," a fond smile appeared on Tao's face, "That kid." 

          Tao looked over to find Kris smiling at him, "Which kid?" 

          "The one who got himself lost in the maze, right?" Tao asked and Kris nodded in confirmation, "He cried for his mother since he thought he had been abandoned by her or something." 

          "Partially," the elder laughed lightly as he looked back down at his sketchbook and started to sketch out the outline over the layout that was already drawn, "Remember the first time you saw the maze?" 

          Tao nodded even though Kris didn't see it since the elder was busy sketching and without looking up, the elder asked, "Do you remember the first thing that came into your mind when you saw the huge maze?" 

          "Yes," the younger knitted his brows, not knowing what exactly was Kris getting at. 

          "Typically when a person sees a maze, they would think of adventure since it stores multiple pathways but only one exit," the elder took his eraser to clear off a mistake he made on the paper, blowing away the rubber excess as he continued, "That was what the kid was thinking when he entered the maze." 

          "The only problem was the kid didn't know that this was a one way maze," the elder explained even though he knew Tao already knows the answer, "So he got confused after walking around for a bit and since his mother wasn't with him, he thought he had gotten himself lost in a maze and wouldn't see his mother ever again." 

          "The kid was dumb," the younger wasn't surprised at the scowl on the elder's face. 

          "He was just a kid," the elder scolded the younger but the latter only shrugged. 

          "If he's scared of getting lost," the younger pointed out, "He might as well don't go into the maze in the first place." 

          Kris seemed to think about it for a moment, "Yeah, you got a point." 

          Tao shrugged and Kris quickly shook his head, "But still, it's not good to call people dumb!" 

          "Okay, okay," the younger rolled his eyes as he heard a huff from the elder, 'Such a baby.' 

          "How do you think he's doing now?" Kris suddenly asked and Tao turned to the elder at the question. 

          Tao only stared at Kris who didn't look up as he continued to sketch on the paper, slowly tearing his gaze away with a hum. 

          "I wonder too." 

 

 

The park was full with people as always on a Saturday morning, noisy like the busy streets but not as rushed. While people raced against time to get to work on the streets, these people here in the park were taking their time in enjoying themselves. While everyone else was busy, these people were here to sit back and take a break. 

          In the park there built a maze, and in the centre of the maze laughter could be heard sounding in the air. Two people — both males — were sitting on the same bench as one another and facing each other. The younger of the two leaned in to whisper in the other's ear, pulling away and laughing alongside the elder at whatever joke the younger had said. 

          Tao and Kris decided to spend that Saturday at the maze again, though this time Tao had convinced Kris to not bring his sketchbook and drawing tools. Kris had complaint against the idea but after some pampering from Tao,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter