Nineteen Years Old

The Place When We're 19
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Please look back
Please look at me
The unforgettable summer
When we're young at nineteen
Those regrets
Will form into a beautiful drawing on our hearts"

-19 by Z.Tao

It was morning in Seoul and the sun was already out from its hiding spot, shining its hot rays of sunlight down at the people below. Just like any other morning, the street was busy with cars racing back and forth from and to places while the sidewalks were piled with people. People walked to and fro on the pavement with urgency in their steps, either they were businessmen or women with their phones pressed to their ears and talking wildly to the person on the other end or they were student rushing to school with their friends. 

          Kris walked down the same pavement as these urgent people with earphones plucked into his ears and his arm holding his sketchbook and drawing tools, humming to the melody of the song and bobbing his head lightly along to the beat of the music. Unlike these urgent people, Kris was a free young man on his way to his favourite spot in this city he lived in to relax and draw. Kris was no busy man, so he had no need to worry himself with work or school and the likes like the businessmen and women or the students around him. 

          Kris Wu Yifan is a young man at the age of twenty-six, going on twenty-seven this sixth of November. Kris worked as an online artist, selling arts online to people who might be interested. Kris does not make profit from drawing fanarts however, since there's something called 'copyright' that he had to follow. Kris lives in an apartment, not too big nor too small for two people and it is a comfortable enough of a place to live in. Kris lives with his friend Park Chanyeol, who is just one year younger and works as a freelancer writer. 

          Kris lives a nice life as far as he's concerned. 

          "What would you like to have for dinner tonight, honey?" 

          Kris looked over and saw a pair of couples with their hands held together and fingers interlaced walking down the pavement towards him. Well, it's good to know that he's not the only one who's enjoying their day with no stress whatsoever. 

          "Anything you cook, my love," was what the man said as he smiled and leaned down to kiss his lover, who giggled at the gesture before kissing back. 

          Ah, love. Such a romantic thing, isn't it? Too bad Kris is single. 

          Though that didn't mean he didn't love before. Kris had somebody that he loved, but the relationship didn't work out so it's over now. After the breakup, Kris and that ex-lover hadn't talk since. 

          Suddenly, Kris thought of the first time he met said ex-lover. Kris was nineteen and in university at that time. 

 

 

 

SM University is a place for people with creativity and art as their middle names to gather around at. These students could be aspiring to be a writer or an artist; they could also be future song composers or musicians; heck, they could even be actors or martial artists! This university accepts all things that has to do with 'creativity' and 'art'. 

          Kris was in his second year of university — he was learning to become an artist and was hoping that he could earn some money through his drawings. Kris didn't care about being known by everyone around the world, but he does like it whenever his creations are praised by others. Kris was a nineteen year old university student with high hopes for his future and had a bright personality with a lot of people adoring him for the person he was. 

          "Yo, Kris," someone called from behind and Kris turned around only to almost have himself choked and would've fell if he hadn't quickly find his balance when the impact came. 

          Kris glanced over at the familiar brown curls and grinned, a laugh emitting from his throat as he patted the person's back, "Hello to you too, Chanyeol." 

          Park Chanyeol was Kris' dormmate and is one year younger than Kris, making that year his first in university. When Kris was first introduced to Chanyeol, the former was almost blinded by how bright and easy-going the latter was. For a while, Chanyeol had Kris all flustered and shy since he wasn't used to talking with hyperactive people like Chanyeol. 

          It didn't take too long though for Chanyeol to worm his way into Kris' heart though as Chanyeol was a really sweet and nice guy with a colourful personality. Chanyeol wasn't the best at cooking but he tried anyway and even though that meant extra cleaning work, Kris found Chanyeol trying to cook something for the both of them rather heart warming. Although he made sure that Chanyeol never touch anything in the kitchen ever again after that experience. 

          Chanyeol may always seem like a bright and cheerful person — some people even call the guy a puppy with his big round eyes and hyperactive personality — but everyone has a side to them them that you would never want to cross and Chanyeol was no exception — Kris could be the judge to that. Everytime someone talks bad about Kris, Chanyeol will be there in a blink of an eye with a fist up to the person's face and threatening that person to take back everything they said. Sometimes when somebody looked like they were about to make fun of Kris, Chanyeol would instantly be there with an unsettling smile on his face with the question. 

          "How may I help you?" Chanyeol's voice would be very low and there would be an edge to it, effectively scaring the person away. 

          Kris had gotten use to it after one day of the experience. People tend to pick on him for his bright personality — being liked by many doesn't equal to everybody liking you — and Kris could really use Chanyeol's help in getting rid of these people. Kris was glad that within a month, nobody dared to so much as talk behind his back in fear of being at the end of Chanyeol's fist. 

          Chanyeol grinned at his friend and ruffled the dark brown locks, messing the hair up and causing some strands to go astray, "Want to go to the cafeteria together?" 

          Kris swatted at Chanyeol's hand before trying to comb his hair back to its normal state, "Of course." 

          Chanyeol grinned and once again almost choked Kris when he suddenly pulled at the male to go to the other direction, "The cafeteria is this way!" 

          Kris looked at Chanyeol with a quirked brow, "Are you sure?" 

          "Yup." 

          "Isn't that the direction to the swimming pool?" 

          "Well, yeah, but there are vending machines nearby too," the younger tried to explain, "I just need to get some stuff for Baekhyun." 

          Kris let out an 'ah' as they arrived to the closest vending machines that they could get to. There were two vending machines placed side by side to each other with one of them displaying drinks and the other selling snacks. Chanyeol fished out his wallet and took out some coins, inserting those coins into the two vending machines before pressing the button for the drinks and snacks that he wanted. 

          "No snacks for us?" Kris asked curiously. 

          "This is only for Baekhyun," the younger said and Kris asked no more as he waited for Chanyeol to get the snack and drink before making their way to the cafeteria. 

          Upon arriving to the cafeteria, it was obvious in plain sight that the place was crowded with students having their meals. There were so many students, in fact, that some were even standing, sitting on the ground or taking their meals to some place else. Kris wondered if they came a little too late. 

          "Chanyeol," the two heard somebody exclaimed and Kris turned just in time for somebody to swoosh past him and bring Chanyeol into a bear hug. 

          Kris heard Chanyeol yelped and turned around, finding a very short and rather petite male practically clinging onto his friend with his legs wrapped around Chanyeol's waist. The male had very light brown hair and his face was hidden in Chanyeol's neck, but Kris didn't need to see the person's face to know who it was. Chanyeol had stumbled back slightly when the petite male hugged him and it took the former a moment to catch his breath. 

          Chanyeol glanced down at the petite male clinging onto him like koala bear and couldn't help the smile that formed on his face, "Baekhyun!" 

          The male — Baekhyun — pulled back slightly to look at Chanyeol as said male placed one of his his hands — his other hand was holding both the snacks and the can of soda — on his waist to support him. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol and smiled brightly, a look that Kris had to admit made Baekhyun resembled a female even more if his short and petite figure wasn't enough to make him look like one already. Kris saw the tips of Chanyeol's ears turning red and grinned goofily to himself. 

          "How are you doing?" Baekhyun asked as he tilted his head, knowing full well of how it affects Chanyeol and Kris could see it — if Chanyeol throwing back his head and groaning loudly wasn't a dead giveaway enough. 

          "Good," the tall friend answered as he held up the snack and soda, waving them in front of Baekhyun's face as if to make a point, "Please come down so that I can give you what I brought with me." 

          Baekhyun seemed to brighten up even more when he saw the snack and soda in Chanyeol's hand, basically jumping off of Chanyeol and snatching the snack and soda away in one swift movement. One reason to never doubt a short and petite person is because they are swift courtesy of their small size. Chanyeol jerked back a little when Baekhyun snatched the snack and soda away and Kris had to hold back a laugh since the face his friend made was funny — then again, any reaction made by Park Chanyeol is funny. 

          "Oh yeah," the tall friend seemed to remember something and Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol as he tore the wrapped snack bag open, "You said that you wanted us to meet your friend?" 

          Kris looked at Chanyeol with interest. Baekhyun wanted to introduce them to a friend of his? 

          "Right," the petite male snapped his fingers as the memory came to him, rushing over to a direction and leaving Chanyeol and Kris behind. 

          Kris looked at Chanyeol and pointed at Baekhyun's retreating figure, "Should we go after him?" 

          Chanyeol shook his head, "He's a fast person. He'll be back in no time. In another three, two, one..." 

          And just as Chanyeol said the last number, Baekhyun was back with somebody in his grasp and a wide smile on his face like he had just gotten a trophy. 

          "Guys," the petite male announced and stopped in his tracks with his hold still on the person, "I would like you two to meet my roommate — Tao." 

          Kris looked at Tao from head to toe, inspecting the male. Tao was bending a little bit to the side due to Baekhyun being short and the latter pulling the former down, one leg bent just slightly to support his bent body. His bangs ended right above his eyebrows, a piercing on his right ear. The male's eyes were squinted and he had prominent eyebags, his lips thin and small. The male was wearing checkers flannel and ripped jeans, tracing out his fit figure. 

          "Nice to meet you, Tao," the younger of the two tall people greeted and took a step forward at Tao with his hands outstretched for a shake, "My name is Chanyeol. I'm Baekhyun's boyfriend." 

          Tao looked Chanyeol over, as if checking if Chanyeol was suited for his friend. A hum of satisfaction vibrated from Tao's throat, and the male's sharp eyes quickly glanced up to meet Chanyeol's big round ones. A smile made its way onto Tao's face, his lips now in a shape of a kitten's as he took Chanyeol's hand into his and shook it. 

          "Nice to make your acquaintance, Chanyeol," the male then let go of Chanyeol's hand as the same arm looped onto Baekhyun's shoulder to pull the petite male to his side, a wide smile on his face now, "Take care of this friend of mine here for me, yeah?" 

          Chanyeol nodded as Tao turned to Kris who walked forward. Tao's sharp eyes held curiosity and interest as he checked Kris out, scanning him from head to toe. It was unsettling — to have someone with eyes like Tao's to be checking you out like a predator would to its prey — but Kris tried to shove the discomfort away as he smiled at Tao. 

          "Nice to meet you, Tao," the taller male offered his hand to Tao who quickly stopped his eyes from roaming the former's body any further. 

          Tao smiled back at Kris and took his hand, shaking it, "Nice to meet you too, Kris." 

          Kris flashed Tao a friendly smile, "I hope we can be friends." 

          Tao smiled back as he nodded his agreement, "Yeah." 

          "I'm sure we are going to be great friends." 

          That was Kris' first encounter with Tao — his first lover. 

 

 

 

Kris would have run into a pole if he hadn't snapped out from his train of thoughts in time, although just as he dodged the thing he accidentally bumped into somebody. That person was a man around his fifties with barely any hair and was on a phone with probably a colleague of his. He gave Kris a dirty look and spat something before walking off, Kris being left behind to bow and apologise to no one. 

          Kris sighed to himself and pulled a hand down his face — he should probably learn to stop daydreaming when he's in the middle of something. Like say, walking on the streets where he could either run into somebody, a pole or even get out of line and get hit by a car. Kris shook his head — he was thinking too much, it's not good to jinx yourself. 

          Kris lightly patted his face before continuing his journey down the street. Kris made an extra effort to be sure that he doesn't run into anybody — or anything to that matter — again this time. Kris' steps were quick but light and he swiftly covered another kilometre of distance. 

          "You actually got the chance to talk to him?" An exclamation, the voice sounded high-pitch and feminine.. 

          "Hell yes I did," another voice said — this one also sounded feminine — and Kris found himself slowing down in his steps and stepping to one side of the sidewalk to allow the others to pass him by without knocking into him, "He's such a sweet and charming one!" 

          'A conversation between two girls', he found himself thinking and concluding silently to himself. Kris guessed that they were probably high school students since they were gossipping like one- Kris shook his head rapidly — what was he doing? He shouldn't be eavesdropping on a girl's private matter! He should leave this instance! 

          "So, your first talk with him," that statement caught his attention and he found himself nailed to the spot on the ground he had been standing on instead of being on his way, "How did it go?" 

         "It went well," was what the other girl replied with, "We actually share quite a few interests." 

          The girl with the higher pitch voice squealed, "I knew it! You two are so meant for each other!" 

          "Stop that," the statement was so but Kris could definitely hear the crack in the girl's voice and he could imagine a blush forming on the girl's face, "It's not true at all." 

         "Whatever you want to believe," the male could imagine a smirk forming on the friend's face, "Come on, we have to get to school now before we're too late." 

          There's a hum of agreement before a series of fast footsteps sounded, going further and further away from Kris. Kris too pulled himself away from the spot he had been standing on this whole time to be on his way. After listening to the girls' conversation, he couldn't help but to think of something that happened to him in the past. 

          Kris remembered the first time he got a chance to talk to Tao, courtesy of a certain puppy-eyed and big-eared friend. 

 

It was a Sunday morning and Sundays were what they were — holidays. Students were all over the university compound, everywhere except for the classrooms and of course the cafeteria were full of students. Some students could be seen in the field kicking football; there's a basketball court nearby and there were also some unis playing there; the school's indoor swimming pool on the ground floor was also flooded with people; even the quiet library had people in it. 

          Kris had wanted to play basketball that day. Kris had gotten into his gears and was putting on his shoes with his trusty basketball beside him when Chanyeol suddenly came in and told him to change into another outfit. Kris was confused but had no room for questions since Chanyeol had already pulled him up onto his feet and shoved some clothes into his hands. Chanyeol then pushed Kris who still had one foot in his sports shoe and the other still in a sock into the bathroom to change. Kris had no other choice but to change into whatever clothing he was given — a woollen long sleeved shirt and a pair of jeans. Kris also made sure to have his sports shoe taken off as it was really uncomfortable to have one foot wrapped and the other not. 

          Apparently Chanyeol had been waiting right outside his bathroom because the moment he was out, he had to drop everything as Chanyeol grabbed onto his forearm and pulled him to the door. Chanyeol must be deaf because Kris had lost count of the many protests and questions that he directed at his friend. They were out of their dormitory and wearing their shoes, with Kris barely being able to put the other foot into his shoe before being dragged away by his friend again to God-knows-where. 

          "Chanyeol," the elder of the two asked, not irritated but his voice carried a objecting tone to it, "Where on Earth are we going? Why are you so rushed?" 

          "I'm on a date with Baekhyun," was what Chanyeol answered. 

          What? 

          "Hold up," the elder stopped dead in his tracks and Chanyeol almost stumbled backwards because of the momentum, "You have a date with Baekhyun?" 

          Chanyeol rolled his eyes at Kris, "Did you not hear me the first time?" 

          "I'm coming along with you on your date?" Kris made sure to put emphasis on the three last words, "What am I supposed to do there — be a third-wheel to you two?"

          "No," the younger answered, "You're not coming with me to my date, no way. Not even when I'm at my last breath but by then I'm probably already married to Baekhyun." 

          Kris didn't get to retort back a question because Chanyeol said then, "Where I'm bringing you right now is to meet up with Baekhyun who's with his friend Tao right now." 

          Kris raised a brow, "So, a third and fourth-wheel for your date?" 

          "No," the younger exclaimed and face palmed, breathing in deeply, "Baekhyun and I are going on a date, you and Tao on the other hand will be left alone together to take care of yourselves." 

          "Oh," was Kris' reaction. 

          No other reaction after that. 

          "Just 'oh'?" Chanyeol looked back with a quirked brow, "Nothing else?" 

          "Well," the elder shrugged, "As long as I'm not forced to be a third-wheel, being with Tao sounds better to me." 

          Chanyeol held back a grin, "So that means you'll come along?" 

          Kris thought for a moment, "I was in the middle of preparing to play basketball-" 

          "We can play it tomorrow," the look on Kris' face told Chanyeol that the latter needed more than that to convince the former, "I'll spend the whole day with you, no interruptions from anyone, not even Baekhyun. I'll also be paying for everything." 

          "The meals?" 

          "And anything you feel like buying," now Kris was smiling and answering, "You got yourself a deal." 

          Once glance away from one another and they already found themselves at the entrance of the library. The library tables were full of students hunched over with their eyes on the books that they were holding. Kris scanned the area for signs of Tao and Baekhyun but Chanyeol was faster by a beat as he told Kris something, pointing to a direction before holding his forearm and bringing him to the general direction he pointed to. 

          "Baekhyun," he whispered softly as he arrived to the table where Baekhyun and Tao were seated. 

          Baekhyun was in the middle of whispering something in Tao's ear until Chanyeol called, looking away from Tao to look at Chanyeol. Almost immediately, a grin broke out on Baekhyun's face and he got up from his seat. Baekhyun arranged the books into his bag and bid a farewell to Tao before shuffling over to Chanyeol. 

          "Let's go then," the petite male declared as he hugged Chanyeol's arm and redirected him away from Kris and Tao, looking back at the two with a wide grin as he saluted, "You two have fun!" 

          Kris saw Chanyeol turned to him at that split moment, giving him a thumb up before waving and letting himself get dragged away by Baekhyun. Kris turned back to Tao once Chanyeol and Baekhyun were out of sight, momentarily making eye contact with Tao. The two stared. 

          "Hey," the elder straightened his back and bid, a smile on his face which Tao returned. 

          "Had a good morning?" Tao asked and Kris sighed, "Was about to play basketball until Chanyeol came and ordered me to change into something else." 

          Tao chuckled with a nod, "I feel you. I was actually planning to train myself on my martial art skills when Baekhyun stopped me and told me something about wanting to meet with someone." 

          Kris smiled, "At least Baekhyun told you. Chanyeol just shove me the clothes and told me to change without telling me the reason." 

          Tao held back a laughter — they were in a library after all — instead the corner of his lips twisted upwards, "Sit down and tell me more about it." 

          And Kris did, taking the seat beside Tao that Baekhyun had been sitting on and started telling Tao about what happened before he came to the library. For some parts, Tao would chuckle and say that something similair happened to him. Once Kris was done with his story-telling, he asked Tao what had happened to him. 

          It was Tao's turn to recite what had happened to him before he was sitting there in the library with Baekhyun and waiting for Kris and Chanyeol to arrive. Apparently, Tao had been packing his things in his duffel bag — already in his gear — when Baekhyun suddeny asked him if he was free. Even when Tao told him what he was planning to do, Baekhyun told him to change into a more presentable outfit. Tao had objected against it but then Baekhyun started to use his charms to convince Tao to come along, in which Tao ended up falling for. In the end, Tao changed out of his gears before Baekhyun led him to the library. 

          "Well, that happened," the younger rolled his shoulders, "We can't do anything about it, so why don't we talk about something else instead?" 

          Kris wordlessly agreed as he glanced down at the book that laid open on the table in front of Tao, a bookmark stuck between the pages of the opened book. Kris tilted his head slightly to read the context of the story and Tao took notice of it, chuckling before sliding the book to Kris. Kris looked up at Tao. 

          "It's a story about a young girl who got her heart cheated by a man that she thought loved her," the younger rubbed his eyes, "It's boring, really. Never been a fan of romance, but Baekhyun insisted me to read it so I did." 

          Kris took a quick glance at the book, seeing as Tao had already read finished half of the story, "Well, you're a fast reader for somebody who isn't interested." 

          "I didn't read it," the elder looked at the younger at that statement, "I just took a quick scheme at it, then started to talk to Baekhyun because it was really very boring." 

          Kris chuckled and took the book, "Well, since that you're not going to read it, I might as well do." 

          "You do that when you're back at your dorm," the younger said as he reached out and flipped the book shut, "Let's talk for a bit, now that we're here." 

          Kris looked at Tao for a moment, before shrugging to show that he didn't see why not. 

          "Of course," the elder shifted in his seat to look at the younger better, "How about I start off with: If you don't like romance, then what is your kind of genre?" 

          "I never said I dislike romance stories," a look from Kris, "Okay, maybe I do. But still, not all romance stories are bad." 

          "For example?" 

          "'Fifty Shades Of Gray',"  the younger smirked, waiting for Kris' reaction. 

          Heat rose to Kris' cheeks and Tao took his time to enjoy the way Kris was looking around as if trying to think up of something to reply, "I-Ism't that a story about-" 

          Kris didn't finish his sentence so Tao did, "?" 

          Kris probably felt like a burning kettle by now but he nodded nonetheless, "You read those kind of books?" 

          "I don't," the elder looked at Tao with a confused expression, "I only answered that because I want to see your reaction, apparently you're not comfortable with the topic of ." 

          Kris wondered if it was possible to pass out from too much heat, "I-" 

          "Don't worry," the younger reassured with a smile, "There's nothing wrong with being uncomfortable with . Everyone's opinion varies." 

          Kris only nodded. 

          "As to answer your question on my preferred genre," the younger changed the topic and Kris was thankful for that, "I prefer action more." 

          "Action, huh?" Kris asked in interest and Tao nodded with a smirk. 

          "As for secondary genre, I don't really care so long as there's action in it," the younger shifted in his seat, "Fantasy, Sci-Fi, I also read Drama. There tends to be romance in every story so I couldn't avoid that." 

          Kris had to chuckle — Tao spoke the truth, no matter what the main genre of a story is, there will always be romance in every story. It is really rare to find a story that doesn't revolve around romance. Finding a story that doesn't have romance in it is like finding a needle in a haystack — it's not impossible, but it's rare. 

          "I told you mine," the younger leaned back in his seat, "Now it's your turn. What is your prefered genre?" 

          Kris hummed thoughtfully, "Realistic, I guess." 

          Tao raised a brow, "Biographies?" 

          Kris nodded and didn't understand why Tao was chuckling like it was a joke, "What's so funny?" 

          "Just wondering why you would like those kinds of books," the younger answered, "They're boring." 

          "'Everyone's opinions varies'," the elder shot back and the younger immediately shut up. 

          "Why do you like those kinds of books?" Tao changed the topic once again but Kris didn't care. 

          "Because," the elder thought for a moment, "These stories talk about the actual lives of people, whether those people think their lives were boring or interesting. It is still a person talking about the things that happened in life, so it's something that we can relate to." 

          "Also," the elder paused and Tao looked at him. Kris smiled before continuing, "Nobody can never shed a tear or two from reading these sort of books." 

          "I didn't think they write angst," the younge

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter