Call Me Baby

What's with the name "Clingy" and "Grippy"?

Chanyeol's statement, the giddy feelings of Baekhyun was replaced with shock and confusion. His eyes were fixated on the bear in Chanyeol's arms, and it took a couple of seconds for his eyes to move and look at the smiling giant. He took a dry gulp before talking.

"W-what - Where did you get that?" Raising himself from the bed on his elbows.

Chanyeol's smile never faltered as he sat down beside Baekhyun keeping the eye contact. "Well, it was given to me by some kid I met before. He won it in a festival stall. He actually won two bears, he gave me this one and wrote the nickname I gave him on the tag right here." Chanyeol showed the said tag with the name "Clingy" written on it.

Baekhyun was still speechless but attentive nonetheless. He looked at the tag being referred to, and his eyes widened at the sight. Chanyeol took notice of Baekhyun's reaction, he found it amusing and cute, but he continued speaking.

"Well, if you look at yours, you'll find my nickname on it." Chanyeol's smile widened showcasing his perfect teeth.

Baekhyun still couldn't believe it. He raised his hands and hid his face behind them in frustration and had an internal monologue. What's happening? Why him? Is he lying?... No, he had the bear with my name on it. No, maybe he found it... But he knows the story behind it.

Chanyeol was quite perplexed with Baekhyun's reaction. He was wondering what was he thinking.

"Baekhyun?" Placing the bear on his lap to pry the other's hands away from his face.

Baekhyun tensed a bit as Chanyeol's hand made contact with his. "How? Wha-why you?"

Chanyeol was slightly offended by the remark, but he explained nonetheless what happened back then and how he went back to his hometown just to find out that Baekhyun was Clingy all along. After Chanyeol's explanation, Baekhyun took an extra minute to wrap his mind of what the latter said before conceding to the facts. Baekhyun was still speechless, but Chanyeol understood that the brunet understood and accepted what he had just said. Chanyeol took the initiative to break the silence.

"So, what's this about me a.k.a Grippy being your first love?" Grinning at the silent brunet.

Baekhyun snapped out of his thoughts as he was reminded of his earlier statement. He refused to make eye contact to avoid being obvious about his embarrassment, but his reddening cheeks and eyes gave him away.

Chanyeol noticed the redness of the latter and chuckles at the cuteness of it. He extends one hand and raises Baekhyun's head for their eyes to meet. His heart felt like it was about to explode as their faces were only inches away, he couldn't hold it in any longer. He kissed Baekhyun's lips softly but briefly before pulling away.

"It's okay Clingy, you are my first love too." He shyly confessed.

Baekhyun was already shocked with the kiss, but it felt as though his brain short-circuited and his heart stopped with Chanyeol's sudden confession.

"W-why? Why me?"

Chanyeol shrugged but keep smiling. "Well, as I've told you in my earlier explanation, I started liking you since that night at the haunted house, but I was too unsure of how I felt for you back then so I was too late to realize and confess." His eyes started to intensify looking at Baekhyun, and the other could definitely feel it. "I couldn't get over you since then, and now that I've found you I'll make sure that I'll never lose you again."

Chanyeol was impressed with himself for having said these things without being embarrassed, maybe it was just the longing to be with his Clingy after all these years. Baekhyun, on the other hand, was in overload, he didn't know how much more of Chanyeol's confession he could take. It was like an arrow after arrow from cupid striking his delicate heart.

Chanyeol was afraid to ask, but he was intent to know. "Baek, do you-"

Baekhyun froze at the sudden new nickname.

"still feel the same way? Like what you felt for me back then?"

Baekhyun looked away again. His mind and heart were screaming at him " yeah, I excruciatingly waited for this day!" but for some reason, his mouth said something else. "I-I'm not sure..."

Chanyeol briefly furrowed his brows in disappointment. "It's okay, I understand it's a bit too early... I mean... we just found out..." Awkwardly laughing before hearing his phone ring. He hesitantly got up and walked towards the nearby window to answer his phone.

While Chanyeol was busy with his phone, he was cursing at himself for having said that he was not sure when it's bluntly obvious that he was still into the guy in front of him and he felt guilty when he saw the look of disappointment on the other's face. It was utterly frustrating that he just wanted to scream his head out. It was not long after that Chanyeol was done with the call.

Chanyeol turned around and started fixing his things. Baekhyun just sat and kept following the other with his eyes.

"Uh... A-are you leaving?"

"Huh?... Ah, yeah. My mom called, and she needs me to drive her to the supermarket for groceries." Grinning as he picked up his guitar, bag, and black bear. 

"But we haven't practiced yet?" Baekhyun blurted out spontaneously as a lame excuse for the other to stay.

"I'm sorry Baek-" Baekhyun felt his heart jump again at the mention of his name. "-I need to go. Maybe tomorrow, I text you later." Chanyeol gave him one last glance and a fake smile to hide his reluctance to leave before seeing himself out of Baekhyun's room.

As Baekhyun watched his grippy move out of his door, his mind replayed the day they met. With every step of Chanyeol's feet on the house's wooden floor and steps that he faintly heard over his open door, he was reminded of the times when he cried just because of pure agony wondering where was his Grippy. He didn't want that anymore. Chanyeol was right in front of him openly admitting his feelings for him. Will he just let him slip away again (technically because they still go to the same university)? Then, he knew what to do. He got off his bed and ran after him with his white bear.

Chanyeol was putting on his shoes by the door with Mrs. Byun seeing him off when they were startled when Baekhyun shouted.

"Chanyeol!"

"Baekhyun don't shout." Mrs. Byun scowled.

Chanyeol just stood his ground looking at Baekhyun. 

Ignoring his mom, Baekhyun briskly made his way downstairs to stand in front of Chanyeol.

"What is it, Baek?" Puzzled.

Baekhyun was a little breathless, but he spoke. "I-I didn't say that I didn't."

"You didn't, what?" Even more puzzled.

Baekhyun took a pause and a deep breath. "I didn't say that - I didn't feel the same way back then..." the volume of his voice lowered but still audible "...until now, actually."

Mrs. Byun felt shocked, and she felt her presence was not needed there, but she stood there anyway. On the other hand, Chanyeol by instinct dropped his things and wrapped his arms around the smaller male which made Mrs. Byun more surprised, but she stood her ground.

Chanyeol broke away from the hug and put his hands on the smaller's shoulders as he eyed him. "Baek, you have no idea how happy I am to know that. I promise you, Baek, I'll make it up to you after all these years of not being together. I'll make sure we'll never be apart again."

"Chanyeol?"

"Hm?"

"It's a bit early to make promises don't you think?"

Chanyeol chuckles before hugging him again. "Seriously Baek, don't spoil the moment."

Beakhyun nods under the giant's hug.

Mrs. Byun loudly clears to get the two male's attention. "I hate to ruin the moment, not that I disapprove of your relationship or anything but, Chanyeol, didn't you say that your mother was waiting?"

Both broke away from the hug blushing knowing that they ignored her presence the whole time.

"Oh yeah... Haha... Thank you, Mrs. Byun, for today." Bowing but embarrassed at the same time.

Mrs. Byun smiles then nods.

Chanyeol then turns to Baekhyun. "Baek, I'll be back tomorrow. I call you later okay?" Then a placed a chaste kiss on Baekhyun's forehead despite the fact that he wanted it to be on the lips but he thought otherwise since Mrs. Byun was still there.

"Okay." Baekhyun smiles as he waves goodbye.

Chanyeol felt like the luckiest person in the world after the incident. He was all giddy at the fact that he found his Clingy and that they both feel the same way about each other. His family didn't find it hard to notice Chanyeol's sudden change in demeanor, so when they asked him about it, Chanyeol was more than willing spill the beans. His parents were more than happy to hear that their son has finally found what he was looking for all this time.

Baekhyun's mom too was adamant in having her son spill everything to her while they were having their afternoon snack. Baekhyun was too shy but eventually gave into his mother's probing. After hearing the details, Mrs. Byun reiterated that she approves of their relationship, but she wanted them to practice safe until they decide to get married or elope. Baekhyun was caught off guard by his mother's brazen lecture.

"Mom, please! We just got to know each other, and it's already and marriage to you. Seriously, mom, we're not even official yet." Exasperated.

Mrs. Byun sighed. "Honey, I was just kidding, but I'm telling you this so that you won't end up like your dad and me. I like Chanyeol, I just have that feeling that he's right for you but I just want assurance that you'll be happy."

Actually, Baekhyun never wanted to be reminded of his father, but he did get the point that he would never want the same thing to happen to Chanyeol and him. So, Baekhyun nods in agreement with his mom.

Just then, Baekhyun's phone rang. He looked at the caller I.D. and read "Grippy." He immediately saved Chanyeol's number a while back and wrote his nickname in the contact list. He answered the phone, and Mrs. Byun moved a little closer to listen in.

"Hello, Chanyeol?" (As if he didn't know who it was already)

"Hey, babe!" Baekhyun turns red while Mrs. Byun tried to muffle her laughter.

"W-what is it?"

"I told you I'll come back tomorrow for the practice didn't I?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"So, I was thinking to kill two birds with one stone tomorrow."

"What do you mean?"

"I wanted us to practice somewhere else, other than your house. I have a few place in mind."

"So, how that does kill two birds with one stone?"

"Well, I thought aside from practicing at these places we could have it also like a date. What do you think?"

Baekhyun was taken aback again at the statement. Mrs. Byun's smile was right up to her ears.

"A d-date?"

"Yeah, I told you I'll make it up to you didn't I? So please, say yes? I wish you could see my 'aegyo' right now."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes after Chanyeol's statement while his mom nudged him to whisper: "Say, yes!"

The pressure from his mom was not necessary because he liked the idea of being on an actual date with Grippy in person and not the bear version. He was definitely elated and all giddy. He took a deep breath before he replied. "Fine, it's a date then... Baby."