What's in a name?

What's with the name "Clingy" and "Grippy"?

Author's note: I had the songs "All for you (Seo Inguk & Eunji), Everytime (Chen & Punch), I'm in love (Ra.D) and Perhaps love (Eric Nam's version) "on replay as I wrote this. Just a recommendation to add more "feels" to the story. Haha... Enjoy! (^ ^)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

It was the first week of October, and it was the beginning of a long weekend in South Korea because of "Chuseok" also known as Thanksgiving day. This holiday was the opportunity that Mr. Park had in mind to take his wife and children for a vacation south of Seoul. He planned to take them sightseeing in Gwangju, but because of the absence of GPS back then and constant bickering of his children in the car, he took a wrong turn and ended up in a small town in the middle of nowhere. 

They were lucky that the place had an old motel nearby where they decidedly spend the night. The owner informed them that the town would be holding a festival later that evening at that they should join in the fun. Too tired from the trip, Mr., and Mrs. Park decided to sleep ahead and the older child, named Yoora (16 years old), decided to watch television instead and Chanyeol (12 years old), the younger sibling, went off alone to distract him from his boredom.

In the very same town, lived Baekhyun (12 years old) a fragile but very adorable boy with his parents. He was famous around the area and among his classmates in the local school which irked a doe-eyed Kyungsoo (12 years old) who was always jealous of the other. Kyungsoo has long thought of getting back at Baekhyun and now was the opportune moment to do so at the local festival.

Baekhyun's parents often get into arguments over their farm, finances, plus his father's drinking habit. Tonight, Baekhyun decided to head on down to the festival to get away from witnessing another heated debate on who's right. As he neared the venue which was by the lake, he was met eyes with Kyungsoo who was holding two sticks of cotton candy. Kyungsoo smiled at the other then approached him.

"Hey, Baek!"

"Oh, Hi Kyungsoo!" Smiling.

Handing over the other stick to Baekhyun, to which the other gladly accepted, he asked him if he could accompany him to a new attraction in the venue. Baekhyun, seeing no harm in it, agrees. Kyungsoo led him to the haunted house attraction of the festival to which Baekhyun pretended to talk and look brave, but Kyungsoo could see the fear behind Baekhyun's facade. They conversed casually while waiting for their turn to go inside.

When they were inside, Baekhyun's tough appearance gave way to fear. He kept screaming at every sound or movement he sees through the darkness. As they turned a corner, Kyungsoo caught Baekhyun staring at the hallway from behind them to which Kyungsoo ran off leaving Baekhyun all alone. It was a childish move Kyungsoo thought but knowing how cowardly Baekhyun was, he was satisfied running out of the attraction laughing at his achievement all the way home.

When Baekhyun realized that Kyungsoo ditched him, he crouched in fear in one corner of the room. All he could hear was his sobs, the distant screams of other people, and the creepy sound effects of the house. By that time Chanyeol heard muffled cries along one of the house's long hallway, bored out of his mind because of the attraction's old school form of scaring, he approached the source of the sound. As he peered through the doorframe, his eyes fell on the crouched boy in the room's corner.

"Hey kid, are you okay?"

Baekhyun was too preoccupied crying to hear. Chanyeol steps forward to lay a hand on the other's shoulder. 

"Hey, are you okay..."

"Ahhhh!!!... Please don't! Please just..." Opening his eyes as he froze.

The various sounds and their surroundings seemed non-existent at the moment their eyes met causing sparks and tingling sensations in their bodies, their faces merely inches away from each other. It was Baekhyun who first snapped out of their frozen state. He pounced forward wrapping his arms around Chanyeol's torso. Chanyeol was still recovering from his frozen state when Baekhyun surprised him again with the sudden hug. His brain almost short-circuited from all the shock, confusion, and maybe... attractiveness of the other boy.

Chanyeol snaps out of his thought when he felt the floor as he fell back from Baekhyun's sudden hug. He groans in pain but soon felt hurt inside at the sight of Baekhyun crying rivers against his chest. He waited for a while before helping the crying boy up to his feet.

"Hey, you can stop crying now. I'm here." Chanyeol cooed as he wipes some tears from the other's face with the sleeve of his sweater.

"I... (sniff) I'm sorry."

"It's okay, C'mon lets get out of here. They might close soon."

Baekhyun nods in agreement. As Chanyeol made his way to the door, he felt Baekhyun tug his sweater from behind.

"Yes?"

Baekhyun blushes at his request. "Can I hold your hand?... Well... Until we get out of here, I mean."

Understanding what the other meant, Chanyeol smiles and intertwined his hand with Baekhyun's. They braved their way out with Baekhyun clinging to dear life to Chanyeol's side. Chanyeol grips tighter on Baekhyun's hand to reassure him. There was jump scares by the "ghosts" along the way to which Chanyeol gladly offered his chest to Baekhyun to hide his face. During the whole time, Chanyeol's feeling of protecting the scared boy grew stronger, and he also felt his heart beat a bit faster everytime Baekhyun clung to him in fear. After 15 minutes of screaming and physical contact, they reached the exit.

Baekhyun was catching his breath from all the screaming while Chanyeol faced the other way to hide his face as he winced in pain from the scratches Baekhyun left on his chest despite wearing a tank top underneath a thick sweater. It took a minute for both to recover and to notice that they were still holding each other. As their eyes met again, the let go at the same time flashing red in their cheeks. Baekhyun initiated shyly.

"Uhm... Thanks."

"Ah, no problem." Smiling.

"Uhm, I think I asked too much of you when I asked if I could hold your hand then I ended up clawing your chest too." Baekhyun faced the ground in embarrassment.

Still smiling, Chanyeol came up with a bright idea. "Well obviously, I'm not from here. Could you show me around? I haven't seen all of the stalls yet."

Baekhyun gladly agrees and leads the way into the buzzing festival grounds. Baekhyun did all the talking while all Chanyeol did was nod affirmatively or react in some way to the other's constant babbling. Chanyeol couldn't think of anything to say anyway since he was too caught up looking at the lovely boy with him.  He couldn't help but notice Baekhyun's smile gleam along with the lights lining the stalls, eyes still shining from the tears minutes back, and of course, succulent lips the moves ever so gracefully as its owner speaks. Baekhyun also marvels at the boy following him around, as he occasionally glances back at him to a point where he stutters in his own words. He ignores it seeing that Chanyeol doesn't react to it anyway (Chanyeol was distracted too). Baekhyun marvels at Chanyeol's almond eyes as though he could see through him, how his skin shined against the street lights and at how the other's low-toned voice gives him goosebumps when he laughs.

Then Baekhyun stops in front of a stall that lets customers shoot down moving targets with a pellet gun to win a prize. Baekhyun tells the other that he was going to try his luck. Unfortunately, after using up his five attempts to topple three targets, he was unsuccessful. Seeing the disappointment in Baekhyun's face, Chanyeol convinced Baekhyun to try again, but this time Chanyeol wrapped himself behind Baekhyun taking hold of his hands, he instructed the smaller male to relax and pull the trigger when he told to do so. It was hard for Baekhyun to relax, let alone focus, having a good-looking guy's body pressed against and his hands wrapped around his. Baekhyun found it more excruciatingly difficult to focus with Chanyeol's warm breath brush against his ear and neck in spite all of these; he toppled the three targets in three attempts thanks to the taller male.

Baekhyun smiles and thanks, Chanyeol then turns to the storekeeper for his prize. He points at a white teddy bear. As the keeper got out of the storage room to get a similar bear (the other was only for display), Baekhyun notices two bears in the keeper's hands. One was white which was, of course, his and the other was black. Confused, Baekhyun asked the keeper why was he giving two bears. The keeper smiled before saying: 

"Well, it was both of you who worked together to win." Looking at Chanyeol who was behind Baekhyun briefly.

"But..."

"Besides, you look good together." Smiling, "Now, run along and get a good spot, the fireworks display is about to start."

Both just blushed, then Baekhyun handed the black bear to Chanyeol who gladly accepted it. Then silence followed.

Chanyeol cleared his throat. "Uhm, do you want to see the fireworks?"

Baekhyun smiles in agreement; then they made their way towards the lakeside. They found a spot in a clearing a little bit away from the rest of the spectators. Everyone was in awe as the fireworks lit up and painted the sky like a blank canvas. Chanyeol sat on the grass while Baekhyun stood beside him looking up. Chanyeol enjoyed himself looking at the smaller male, admiring how his face glowed as it reflected the brilliant colors of the fireworks.

"Hey, I never got to know your name?" Chanyeol asks.

Baekhyun turns to face him.

"Well, my name? Uhm, I'm..."

"Hm?"

"I can't tell you yet."

"Why not? Isn't it rude not to?"

"Well, I just met you, and you're not really from here too. I've heard the news that bad people use other people's names when they do crimes like stealing."

Confused about the other's logic, Chanyeol retorts. "Well, I helped you back at the haunted house, and I even let you hold on to me. Does that make me a bad guy."

"I don't know; you might have just been pretending to be nice."

Chanyeol scoffs. "Then what should I call you?"

"Well... We could go with nicknames." Baekhyun jokingly proposes.

"Fine, I can do that. I'll call you Clingy." Laughing.

"Hey! I was just kidding. That's a lame name, then I'll call you..." Thinking.

"What? Better think of a good one like maybe handsome?" Chanyeol bursts into a fit of laughter again.

Baekhyun scoffs. "Then... Then I'll you Grippy." 

"Grippy? Seriously, that's your comeback?" 

"Why not? Your abnormally large hands almost crushed mine."

"Says the one who asked me to hold his hand." Chanyeol grins in victory as Baekhyun was speechless for a moment.

"Whatever Grippy, where are from anyway?"

"I'm from Seoul."

"What brought you here?"

"Well, my dad took a wrong turn on our way to Gwangju, and we ended up here. We're just passing by."

"So, where's your family?"

"My parents and sister are staying at a motel in town."

"Oh, I know that place. Are you going to stay a little longer?"

"Well, my dad said that we wasted too much time navigating our way to Gwangju, so we'll stay until noon tomorrow before we drive back to Seoul."

"Oh, I see. Would you like to meet tomorrow? I could show you and maybe you parents around." Baekhyun blushes at his offer.

Chanyeol smiles. "Sure, I'd like that."

They were quiet again as they stared at each other before Baekhyun thought of something.

"Hey, I thought of something!"

"What?"

"I'll write my nickname on your bear's tag, then you'll write yours on mine. Just to remember each other by since we live nowhere near each other or we might not even see each other again, and we only know each other by our ridiculous nicknames."

"But maybe tomorrow we might end up telling each other's name anyway." Chanyeol grins.

"Maybe, just maybe. Anyway, are up for it?" Baekhyun answered as he pulls out a marker from his short pants which he used to label the boxes of green pepper the harvested earlier.

"Sure, why not!" Chanyeol could not resist anything Baekhyun asks by now. He was in too deep.

As they finished writing their ridiculous nicknames, Chanyeol realized that it was almost 11 pm on his watch. So, as they gave each other their rightful bear, Chanyeol initiated to say goodbye to which Baekhyun also responded with his goodbye.

As they walked in opposite directions under the artificial lights exploding overhead, Baekhyun shouts at the other.

"Hey! What time tomorrow?"

"At around eight!"

"Where!?"

"At the Motel!"

"Okay, got it!"

Both waved their final goodbye.

Chanyeol arrived home with everyone asleep; luckily he remembered the door's code. He immediately went to bed, excited for tomorrow's arrival. On the other hand, Baekhyun stood frozen by the gate of his house at the sight of his mom and a couple of suitcases. As soon as his mother saw him at the gate, she hurried hugged him and ushered him to grab two suitcases. Baekhyun could notice a bruise on his mother's right cheek, so he already had an idea of what happened and what will happen. As the train pulled away from the town's station, all Baekhyun could do is look out the window and think of the boy he clung to earlier and how disappointed he would be the next day. Baekhyun grabbed the white bear seated beside him, ran his fingers on the tag that contained the name of his first love.

Chanyeol woke up with his dad shaking him at 4 in the morning. His Father received a call earlier from his boss that he was needed back in Seoul for an emergency meeting. Chanyeol tried his best to convince, plead, then threaten his old man into staying longer but to no avail. They departed for Seoul at around 5:30 that very morning. All Chanyeol could do was look out the car window as they exited the sleeping town and think of how devastated Baekhyun would be later in the day. Chanyeol pulls out the black bear from his back seeing that his sister fell asleep again. He ran his fingers on the tag that contained the name of his first love.

The boys left haunted by the memories of each other and the thought of what could have been between them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: As I've said in the foreword, let me know what you think. I hope you enjoyed. Sequel? Maybe... Haha...