What's your name?

What's with the name "Clingy" and "Grippy"?

It has been two months since Chanyeol and Baekhyun left the small town. Chanyeol tried to convince his father to drive him back there to see his "special friend," but his dad's work has been picking up, and he was due for a promotion soon which meant more workload so he couldn't. Mr. Park was sorry for his son for he understands how special this friend is to his son, well aware that he is on his way to adolescence, but he just can't. For Baekhyun, his first two months in his new home with his mom in Daejeon was rough since they had to start from scratch. Baekhyun had to work to help out with the groceries, bills and his schooling needs. 

Years passed, both Chanyeol and Baekhyun changed a lot in appearance and personality. Chanyeol became a very social and carefree person who likes laughing, but when someone gets on his bad side, he is sure to hold a grudge. While Baekhyun grew to be an independent person due to his past, he is friendly but prefers to be selective of people, and once you get on his bad side, you'll get a taste of his sassiness. They might have grown away from each other; one thing hadn't changed, their longing for each other.

Both were nineteen, Chanyeol was a sophomore business management major at Seoul University. Baekhyun was also a sophomore major in finance and accounting, but he had to transfer to Seoul University due to a scholarship grant that he worked hard for since entering college. Besides, his mom's new assignment as a real estate agent was also in Seoul due to a sudden boom in the market. Everything is finally going well for them, and Baekhyun hoped this is his chance to maybe run into his Grippy.

Baekhyun took a while to adjust to his new environment and new life. A few days after the University started classes, he happened to bump into Kyungsoo in one of his classes. Both met up and caught up with each other after classes where Kyungsoo apologized for what he did years ago. Apparently, Kyungsoo studied there since he was a freshman. Baekhyun forgave him since it happened a long time ago, they were kids back then, and what Kyungsoo did lead to his
meeting with Grippy (but he didn't tell Kyungsoo about that). They eventually became best friends as the weeks went by especially that they were majoring in the same field. 

The past few weeks since classes started, Baekhyun had been particularly curious about a person when he's in the cafeteria. He turned to Kyungsoo who was busy munching on a sandwich to ask.

"Soo, who's that?" pointing with his eyes towards the table by the corner.

"Which one? There's two of them." Kyungsoo asks.

"The tall one with big eyes and ears."

"Oh, that's Park Chanyeol. He's popular on campus."

"Popular?"

"Yeah, he's smart, handsome, captain of the university's basketball varsity team and rich."

"Woah, how about the guy he's talking to? Is he... his boyfriend?" Embarrassed at his question.

Kyungsoo laughs causing some of the lettuce on his sandwich to fall on the table. "No, that's Kim Jongin, his best friend since high school." He coughs a bit before continuing. "From what I heard, Chanyeol's never been in a relationship, ever."

"I see." Turning to glance at the person they were talking about only to make eye contact. Baekhyun immediately turns to break it. Kyungsoo didn't see it.

Kyungsoo continued, "Why do you ask?"

Baekhyun was still flustered. "Ah sorry, what was that again?"

"I said, why did you ask about Chanyeol?"

"Uhm, nothing. I was just curious."

Kyungsoo then grins. "Don't tell me you've become one of those hopeless romantic zombies dreaming of getting him into a relationship with them."

"Of course not! He was just too loud to ignore when we pass by the hallway. Besides, I don't intend to enter a relationship just yet." Baekhyun huffs at his excuse.

Kyungsoo's grin widens at his friend's ridiculous excuse. "Whatever Byun, you're still readable."

As Baekhyun and Kyungsoo continued with their conversation over lunch, they were unaware of a pair of eyes looking towards their direction especially on smiling brunet. Chanyeol didn't blink since he made eye contact with Baekhyun which Jongin noticed snapping his fingers to draw Chanyeol's attention. 

"Yo! what's with that look?"

"Who's that with Kyungsoo?"

"Oh, the new guy? He's Byun Baekhyun. I heard he transferred here because of a scholarship. Why do you ask?"

"Nothing, I was just curious of the new face on the campus."

"Why? He finally piqued your emotions?" Jongin smirked. 

Chanyeol appalled, "No, you know why I don't want to be in a relationship."

"Right, right. You're still looking for Clingy. Well, can't blame me for trying." 

As the weeks went by, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, at times, made eye contact but both promptly breaks away. Neither did approach each other until fate decided to do something about it. The ranking of the students per major and per year level came out and posted on the campus' main bulletin board. Everyone who cared for their grade and future hurriedly went to see if they made it on the prestigious list which only accommodates the top 20 per major and per year level respectively. Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, and Jongin squeezed their way through the crowd to get to the front. Squeezing through the last cluster of students, Chanyeol and Baekhyun bumped their heads together. Wincing in pain, they were surprised by each other's unexpected presence; both just curtly bowed to apologize before looking up their name on the list. 

As they both scanned for their name on the list of the top 20 people for the sophomores (they didn't bother to look at the list for their major since making on to the top of their year level meant that they topped that list too), they started scanning from the bottom of the list until their sight fell into the beginning of the list.

2.) Kim Jongin and Do Kyungsoo, 96.8

1.) Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun, 98.6

Baekhyun couldn't be prouder of himself; it means that he his scholarship will cover his expenses again for another term. Chanyeol didn't mind sharing the top spot, so he turned and faced the ecstatic Baekhyun beside him to introduce and congratulate him.

"Congratulations! So, you're Byun Baekhyun?" Chanyeol smiles.

"Uhm, yeah thanks! Congratulations too! Park Chanyeol right?" Baekhyun smiles back.

"Yup, that's me. Nice to meet you! Well, see you around then."

"Nice to meet you too. Yes, see you."

They turned around calling over their respective friends, Kyungsoo and Jongin who were congratulating each other but in Chanyeol and Baekhyun's eyes, they were like drooling over each other.

It was another week and more eye contacts between Baekhyun and Chanyeol, but this time, it was a little bit longer and accompanied with a smile. It went on until, one day, Baekhyun was distracted talking to Kyungsoo at the cafeteria and tripped launching his tray containing a bowl of soup and a box of milk into the air. It just so happened that these liquid projectiles fell on Chanyeol's bag. Chanyeol stood speechless at the sight of his bag. Baekhyun immediately got up not minding the pain to clean up after his mess. He looks up to Chanyeol apologetically and says his sincere sorry.

"What the did you do!" Chanyeol angrily grabs his bag from Baekhyun's hand checking to see the damage.

"I'm so sorry Chanyeol. I didn't mean to spill on it." Sincerely.

Chanyeol was too angry to notice that the latter did not do it on purpose, so he just made up a reason to go on with his rage.

"Sorry!? Do you even know how much this bag costs!?" (It actually on sale when he bought it. It was only 12 dollars; he was too lazy to search for other bags)

Baekhyun was speechless and just looked at the floor, but Chanyeol was not finished with him yet.

"That's right! A poor countryside bumpkin like you wouldn't know." Chanyeol lashed at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun could take Chanyeol's anger over the incident with his bag but the words poor and countryside bumpkin was a bit of a stretch for him. He stands up straight and a tall as much as he can.

"Now that's a bit too much don't you think? Well, what the hell do you know!? Yes! I'm from a poor broken family. Yes! I'm from the countryside, but I worked my off to get to where I am, and I'm not about to let myself be looked down on by some stuck up rich brat who has never experienced how harsh life is!" Baekhyun was gritting his teeth at every word before storming out of the cafeteria with Kyungsoo running after him.

The cafeteria remained silent even after Baekhyun stormed out. Chanyeol also stormed out through another exit followed by Jongin. As soon as the door closed, everyone instantly murmured among themselves and talked about the exchange of words between the two top students. Days passed after the incident, Chanyeol and Baekhyun avoided each other but when they happened to meet they just stared daggers at each other before storming away. Their argument created a rift among most the students with the rich kids siding with Chanyeol and the poorer students siding with Baekhyun. Baekhyun was too stubborn, and Chanyeol had his pride to admit he was too harsh and he was well aware of it.

Kyungsoo was unsuccessful in convincing Baekhyun to forgive Chanyeol being aware of the effect it had among a significant number of students. Kyungsoo then enlists the help of Jongin to convince Chanyeol to be the one to initiate.

"Aren't you going to make up with Baekhyun by now?" Jongin asked during their basketball practice.

"Hell no!"

 "Aren't you aware that your petty argument is splitting the student body?"

"Not my problem." Nonchalantly.

"What's with you? That bag didn't even look expensive!" Jongin rubs his palms on his face.

"Clingy was inside my bag that time! He could have been damaged beyond repair."

"You mean the bear he gave you? Chanyeol! I know how important that thing is to you, but you didn't have to degrade Baekhyun to his core."

The guilt in him has finally gotten into Chanyeol. "I know."

"Then you better apologize to him before the term ends which is only days away."

The term ended without Baekhyun and Chanyeol making up. Baekhyun was adamant on avoiding Chanyeol which gave the other no chance. This treatment only made Chanyeol angrier also at how stubborn Baekhyun can be. When the fall term came, Chanyeol and Baekhyun needed to take a 3 unit elective subject. The only elective subject offered at that time was Music, both did like music and are quite talented. 

The class under the young Mr. Kim Jongdae who was on break from his idol schedule. He is a member of Korea's long running number one idol group EXO which appealed Baekhyun and Chanyeol all the more to join. The feeling of excitement from Chanyeol and Baekhyun immediately dissipated as soon as they saw each other in the class. They just pretended that the other did not exist, they just glad that they only shared one class.

Four weeks into their music class, Mr. Kim talked on song delivery to which he emphasized on "Sentiment." He wanted each of the students to choose a song that would represent a particular sentiment or emotion that they are currently feeling at the moment.  After a while, he then asked each one to come up front to perform the song while embodying their sentiment or emotion. When it was Baekhyun's turn to sing, he used the piano to sing Tamia's "Officially Missing You." As Baekhyun perform, Chanyeol was enchanted by the brunet's voice, how his lips curve as he articulates the lyrics, and especially how his eyes reflect longing. It was like the song was speaking to him. Mr. Kim complimented Baekhyun then asked him about the story behind his song. Baekhyun wasn't willing to reveal much; he just said that he missed his first love and that he wasn't even able to get to know him because he had to leave. Baekhyun didn't elaborate any further.

When it was Chanyeol's turn, he used the guitar to perform EXO's "Don't Go." Baekhyun couldn't help himself but fall into a trance as he can feel Chanyeol's endearment through the song. Baekhyun too felt as though it was him that Chanyeol was referring to in the song. He gulps dryly as listened. By the end of the song, Baekhyun fell back to earth and listened intently for Mr. Kim's thoughts on Chanyeol's performance. 

Mr. Kim smiled and approached Chanyeol patting him on the back.

"Great job Chanyeol! My group couldn't have sung it better."

"Thanks, Mr. Kim!"

"What made you sing that particular song?"

Chanyeol elaborated a bit more than Baekhyun. "Well, let's just say that it was a song for myself."

"What do you by that?"

"When I was young, met my first love. We only met briefly because I had to leave without confessing my feelings. You can say that the song is for me, stuck in regretting being helpless at that time." 

"I see, I don't want to push on the topic seeing that it is a bit sensitive. I just think that you should try to find closure with this person." Then Mr. Kim turns to Baekhyun. "You too, Baekhyun."

Baekhyun just nods.

Mr. Kim then turns to the class as Chanyeol goes back to his seat. "Well class, what I'm trying to say is that these stories, emotions or sentiments are factors that can affect your delivery of a certain song. As per observation, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were very successful in doing so." Mr. Kim turns to face the two before continuing. "If I were to say so myself, I was as though the story behind your songs was just one story told from two perspectives. Well, I just pieced it together from the feelings you both gave off during your performance, but what are the chances of that?" Mr. Kim chuckles before continuing his lecture.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol just sat still at Mr. Kim's statement with the feeling that there was some truth or relevance to their teacher's analysis. 

It was almost Chuseok again; it was still cold between Chanyeol and Baekhyun even in Mr. Kim's class. Then Mr. Kim announced a pair work to the class where they have to perform a duet two days after they come back from their vacation as part of their final project in the class. The pair to earn the highest score will get to perform during the upcoming promenade for sophomores to earn extra credit. Naturally, Baekhyun and Chanyeol would want to excel.

As each student drew strips of paper from a box at Mr. Kim's table, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were shocked to see the same number on their strip of paper. They had understood that they had no choice since Mr. Kim was very strict when it comes to picky people. They just went along with it as they sat beside each other. Mr. Kim gave them the rest of the class hour to decide and prepare for their performance. At first, both were silent and avoided eye contact until Chanyeol initiated.

"So, any thoughts on what to sing?"

Baekhyun was quiet as if he didn't hear anything.

"Look Baekhyun, I'm sorry for offending you. I went too far. It was just that there was something important inside my bag that I didn't want to get damaged. I know it would be easy to forgive me, but at the very least, please work with me just this once. I know we both want to excel in this class."

Sighing, Baekhyun faces the other. "Fine, just this once."

Chanyeol smiles. "So any thoughts?"

"None yet, you?"

They spent the whole time listing possible songs before eliminating some.

As the bell rang signaling the end of the class, Baekhyun and Chanyeol decided that they would each choose one from the remaining songs over the holiday and finally decide once classes resume. They will be busy to meet up during the holiday anyway.

During the holiday, Baekhyun usually did what always does during Chuseok, and that is to take Grippy the bear to a date to remember the very person he named the bear after. He later called Kyungsoo to join and told him the story behind the bear. He also thanked Kyungsoo for being the very person that had caused them to meet.

For Chanyeol, he also takes Clingy the bear to a date during Chuseok, but this time he was finally able to track down the town where he met Baekhyun with the help of the internet. With the money he set aside, he took Clingy and rode the train to the town. He was both excited and worried at the thought of going there. Would Clingy forgive him? Would he be even there? Would they be able to recognize each other?

When Chanyeol arrived, he noticed that not much has changed. He immediately began asking around using every description, adjective, and information that would help give an identity to Clingy. After four frustrating and fruitless hours, he went back to the local train station defeated to wait for the train back to Seoul. He sat on a bench and took out Clingy the bear from his bag and started talking to it to belt out his frustration.

"Where are you? Dammit, Clingy! Why are you so hard to find in such a small place. If I only knew your name it would have been easier to..."

"Hey! I remember that bear."

Chanyeol turns to face the person who broke his monologue. The man was old but had a friendly vibe.

"Uh, excuse me? Did you say you remember this bear?"

"Yeah, though I recall two bears. There was that one, and the other was white. I gave it to two kids years back on Chuseok because they worked together to win in the stall I managed then."

"Really! Wow! I was that tall kid back then." Chanyeol found hope.

"Small world! I'm glad to see you! That bear looked as though I just gave it to you yesterday; I'm impressed."

"Yeah, well it's very special to me. Say, do you remember the boy I was with; the one who got the white bear?"

"Oh yeah, that small and pale boy!"

"Yeah, him. Is he here?"

"Oh, sorry. He's not here anymore. He moved out with his mom that very night when I gave those bears after an argument with their dad."

Chanyeol was disheartened. "But, do you still remember the kid's name?"

The name struck Chanyeol to his very core. He was speechless; he couldn't believe it. It can't be!

"Yeah, of course. How could I forget him? He was quite popular in town for his looks. His name is BYUN BAEKHYUN."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: I recommend  that you should listen to the actual songs mentioned in the story. I'll update as soon as I can...